Collin Campbell (deceased), whose portrait is shown elsewhere in this volume, in his lifetime a progressive and respected resident of Milaca, Minnesota, was born in Canada, in March, 1856, and was a son of parents but lately come from Scotland, and who removed to Minnesota when young Collin was about five years old. They settled on a farm near Princeton, Mille Lacs county, in 1861, and were among the earliest settlers of that portion of the state. There Collin Campbell was reared and educated, being bred to farm work, and helping his father open up his farm, which for years was a stopping place for lumbermen.
Collin Campbell made his way into the lumber woods while yet a young man and was engaged in hauling supplies to the lumber camps in the various parts of Mille Lacs county. His father was quite extensively engaged in the hay business, and much of the product was sold to the various camps in the vicinity. When Collin Campbell was twenty-three years old he began farming in Blue Hill township, Sherburn county, opening a farm of two hundred acres, and making his home there until 1888, having in that time brought the farm from raw prairie up to a condition of cultivation seldom equalled in the state. About the time of his taking this farm, he was married to Josephine M. Young, a native of New York, and a descendant of an old New England family by her maternal ancestry. Her father, who was born in Canada, came of French blood, and was a soldier in the Union army during the Civil war, being a member of Company D, One Hundred and Twenty-third New York Volunteer Infantry. He was a farmer all his life, and came to Minnesota in 1856, making his home in Mille Lacs county. His wife, and the mother of Mrs. Campbell was Harriet B. Carter, a representative of an old New England family. To this union were born three children: Della G., who is now Mrs. Van Patten, they are the parents of one child, Collin; Andrew B., and Sarah B.
In 1888 Mr. Campbell disposed of his Sherburn county farm, and, coming to Milaca, bought the Milaca House in company with A. J. Barrett. The two partners carried on this hotel until it was destroyed by fire, in 1893, when Mr. Campbell resumed his farming life on his Sherburn county property. In the fall of 1896 he rebuilt the Milaca House, and conducted it four years. There he died, January 21, 1901, of typhoid pneumonia.
From his first arrival in Milaca Mr. Campbell was extensively engaged in lumbering, being associated at times with A. J. Barrett, and with his brother, William Campbell. For several years he maintained extensive lumber camps in different parts of the state, and devoted much attention to his various lumbering enterprises. Mr. Campbell was a Republican, and held different local offices. He was a Mason, a member of the Knights of Pythias, the Modern Woodmen of America and the M. B. of America.
The parents of Mr. Campbell are still living in Mille Lacs county, near Princeton. The One Hundred and Twenty-third New York, in which the father of Mrs. Campbell did gallant service in the Army of the Potomac, was at Gettysburg, when it was sent to the west, and became a part of the wonderful army that General Sherman led to the sea, and on to Washington to participate in the grand review, closing three years of honorable and creditable service.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 248-51.
This name will be readily recognized as that of one of the leading business men and citizens of Ada, Norman county. Mr. Campbell is a pioneer of that region, and has various financial interests in Ada and vicinity. He is the present efficient postmaster of that thriving town, and is a man of excellent character and is popular with the people among whom he makes his home.
Our subject was born in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, May 6, 1829. His father, James Campbell, was of Scotch descent and was born in America. He was a farmer and merchant and died when our subject was but eight years of age. Mr. Campbell attended the village school, and in 1849 left his home place and went to Portage county, Wisconsin, where he settled on a farm and soon afterward engaged in the wagon-making business at Plover. He later engaged in the mercantile business in Wood county, Wisconsin, and in 1859 went to southern Illinois. In the fall of 1861 he enlisted in the Tenth Illinois Cavalry and was sent west of the Mississippi river, first to St. Louis, Missouri, and later to Helena, Arkansas. He was in many engagements and skirmishes, and in the fall of 1862, after an active and loyal service, he was mustered out at Helena, Arkansas. He returned to Wisconsin and there followed farming and other business enterprises until he went to Minnesota, in 1878. Norman county was then sparsely settled and but four shanties comprised the town site of the present thriving town of Ada. In 1886 Mr. Campbell entered into partnership with Mat. Olson, and they established a farm machinery business and erected the first building devoted to this line in the town. They continued in the business eight or ten years, when our subject sold his interests to Mr. Olson, Mr. Campbell being appointed postmaster of Ada under Harrison. He served four years as such, and about 1892 established a general store, carrying a line of groceries, etc., and which business he transferred to his brother, W. W. Campbell, in June, 1901. He was appointed postmaster again in 1897, and is now discharging the duties of that office. He has been interested in farm lands at different times, conducting farming to considerable extent. He was one of the pioneers of Minnesota and also Wisconsin, and has witnessed the growth of Norman county and aided materially in its advancement.
Our subject was married, in 1852, to Miss Lydia Harroun, a native of New York state. Seven children, one son and six daughters, have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Campbell, all of whom were born in Wisconsin. Mr. Campbell took an active part in the organization of Norman county, and assisted in pushing the bill through the legislature for the organization of the same. He is a stanch Republican politically, and voted for the first Republican candidate for president, John C. Fremont. He takes an active part in local affairs of his party, and is a man of good ideas and enjoys the esteem of his fellows.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 168-69.
William Cardiner, well and favorably known in Princeton, Minnesota, was born in Wisconsin on a farm in 1856, whither his parents had come from Scotland in 1853, and there his father, James Cardiner, a veteran farmer and machinist, is still living. William Cardiner was the third member of a family of six children, and was reared on the paternal estate, receiving his education in the local schools of the community in which he lived. When seventeen years of age he left home to learn the blacksmith trade in Columbia county. When he had thoroughly mastered his trade he spent several years in traveling through Canada and elsewhere as a journeyman, and in 1879 came to Princeton, Mille Lacs county, to set up in company with a friend in his business under the firm name of Coley & Cardiner. In 1885 this association was terminated, and Mr. Cardiner was in business for himself, carrying a general blacksmith and manufacturing enterprise, having an engine, and running a very complete establishment.
In 1895 Mr. Cardiner was appointed postmaster, and continued in that position for six years. In 1881 he was married to Miss Emma J. Hatch, a native of Maine, and her parents are now living in Minnesota. To this union have come two boys, Max and Guy.
Mr. Cardiner has taken an active part in local affairs, and has been chairman of the town board, and for several years has been a member of the village council. He has the respect and confidence of the community to a marked degree, and is undoubtedly one of the leading citizens of the county, which he has done so much to develop.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 162.
Otto Carley, a prosperous farmer of Chisago county, Minnesota, has a pleasant home in section 5 of Chisago Lake township. He is a man of wide experience in agricultural pursuits and he has met with pronounced success and enjoys a comfortable home and the respect and esteem of a large circle of acquaintances.
Mr. Carley was born on the farm where he now resides, in 1861. His name by birth was Nelson, but on account of the numerous families of that name in his community he changed his name to that of Carley upon reaching his majority. His father, Charles Nelson, was born in Sweden and was a carpenter by trade. He came to America in 1854 and settled on a farm on the banks of Chisago Lake the same year. His first home was a frame building, and he followed carpentering through that part of the country and about half of the buildings of the neighborhood in the early day were constructed by him. About twenty-five of the first buildings of Chisago City were his handiwork. He also had a contract for hauling flour and provisions from Marine, and this with his contracts on buildings claimed his entire time, his farm being conducted by his older sons, until about the time of the Civil war, when he turned his attention wholly to farming and continued the improvement of his estate. He retired from active pursuits in 1895, and is now living in his comfortable home, aged eighty-one years. He was married in Sweden to Miss Christina Anderson. Mrs. Nelson died in 1895.
Otto Carley was the eighth in a family of nine children, who are as follows: John, an engineer at Little Falls, Minnesota; Peter, deceased; Swan, farming in Meeker county, Minnesota; Daniel, farming in the same county; Gustav, lumbering; John, a carpenter; Mary, married and residing in Dakota; Otto, our subject; and Matilda, now married and residing in Hallock, Minnesota. In the early days our subject and brothers did freighting during the winter months and earned considerable in this occupation. Our subject was reared on the home farm and educated in the public schools and Gustavus Adolphus College at St. Peter. He assisted his father with the development of the home farm and in 1895 assumed control of the same. He has a residence 20 by 36 and 18 by 16 feet, and a fine barn erected in 1901, 28 by 92 feet. He also has a granary, ice house, milk house, tool and machinery house, and all buildings for the operation of a modern farm. He has one hundred and twenty-one acres of land in three tracts and has met with pronounced success in the operations on the same.
Mr. Carley was married in 1891 to Miss Amelia Holt, a daughter of Charles Holt, a prosperous farmer of Chisago county. Mrs. Carley is a native of Chisago county, and her father was born in Sweden. Mr. Carley is a member of the Lutheran church of Center City. He is a Republican in political faith.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 481.
Frank Carlson, probably one of the best known agriculturists of Chisago county, is a resident of Fish Lake township, where he has built up a fine home for himself, and has gained the esteem and confidence of his fellowmen.
Mr. Carlson was born in the southern part of Sweden in 1854. His father was a farmer and came to America with his family in 1870. He settled at Red Wing, Minnesota, where he lived two years and in 1872 moved to his farm in Fish Lake township, Chisago county. He died on the farm in 1894 at the age of seventy-five years.
Our subject began work at Red Wing when he was fifteen years of age, and afterward went to Hinckley and there worked five years in the sawmill. He went to Fish Lake township in 1877, and assisted his father in the development of the home farm. They had a contract that he was to remain at home and become the owner of his father's estate eventually. There were no improvements on the place and it was a wild timber tract, but is now a well improved and highly cultivated tract of one hundred and three acres. He has erected a complete set of substantial farm buildings and has made a success of farming.
Mr. Carlson was married in 1879 to Miss Mary Anderson. Mrs. Carlson was born in Sweden and came to America with two brothers in 1876. Mr. and Mrs. Carlson are the parents of three sons and seven daughters, all of whom were born on the farm in Chisago county. They are as follows: Martin, clerking in a general store at Stark; Amel, a stenographer in St. Paul; Albert, engaged in farming; Emma, Edith, Hannah, Ellen, Lydia, Nina and Mildred. Mr. Carlson is among the oldest settlers of the township in which he makes his home, and he takes an active interest in all local public affairs. He has served in various offices of trust including supervisor and school clerk, and has been census enumerator three times, in 1890 for the government, in '95 for the state, and in 1900 for the government, in Fish Lake and Nessel townships. He is a stanch Republican, and has attended numerous conventions of his party in county and state. Mr. Carlson is now town clerk and justice of the peace.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 695.
Wallace William Carter, one of the prominent business men of North Branch, Minnesota, is an old settler of Chisago county. He was engaged in the pursuit of agriculture for many years near North Branch, and has an extensive acquaintance, and the respect and esteem of his fellowmen. He is engaged in the meat and stock shipping business in North Branch and has made a success of the same.
Mr. Carter was born in Troy, New York, in 1849. His parents were of English blood and came to America when they were young. The father, John Carter, was a mechanic by trade. He settled in Walworth county, Wisconsin, with his family in 1849, purchasing a farm near Delavan, where he lived during the remainder of his career.
Our subject was reared and educated in Walworth county, Wisconsin, and in his boyhood days was used to hard farm work and grubbing. About 1869 he bought a farm in Sugar Creek township, Walworth county, and resided on this farm seven years. He then rented three hundred and twenty acres of land, working the same on shares for a year, after which he worked in the flouring mill at Delavan. On account of ill health he was forced to give up the mill work, and in 1878 he settled on a seed farm in Ramsey county, Minnesota. This farm consisted of eight hundred acres of land, and the brother of our subject and three other parties were interested in the same. Our subject was foreman of the farm for two years. He bought two hundred and forty acres of land adjoining the village of North Branch in 1880. This was wild timber land, and he located thereon and began clearing the same for cultivation. His first team were oxen, which he bought in St. Paul. He resided on this tract of land until 1888, when he rented the same and spent two years on his father's estate in Wisconsin. He then returned to his farm in Chisago county and in 1890 sold the same to John Hurley. He erected his present residence in North Branch at that time and for the past twelve years or more has engaged in the meat and stock business, and has shipped many carloads of stock from North Branch and vicinity. He is also engaged to some extent in the real estate business, and also loans money. He is the owner of North Branch property which he rents out. He is an energetic business man and has prospered.
Mr. Carter was married December 12, 1869, to Miss Mary Lock. Her father, Thomas Lock, was of English birth and her mother was of Norwegian birth. Mr. and Mrs. Carter have been the parents of four children, three of whom are now living, and are as follows: Orrin, employed in the office of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company at Brainard [sic], Minnesota, Florence B., now married, and Pearl, attending school. Mr. Carter is a Republican in political sentiment, but takes no active part in political affairs.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 665.
The farms along the banks of the Red river in Wilkin county, Minnesota, form a large share of the highly cultivated tracts of that region. The gentleman above named has become owner of one of the best of these tracts and although he has resided there comparatively few years he has succeeded in bringing the land into high cultivation and placing valuable improvements on the place in the way of buildings and has a pleasant and comfortable home there. His farm is situated in McCauleyville township.
Mr. Caspers was born on a farm in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, in 1857. His father, Mathias J. Caspers, was born in Germany and came to America and became one of the leading old settlers of Wisconsin, in which state his death occurred. He served in the Germany army. Our subject was the youngest child in a large family, nine of whom are now living and he was reared on the Wisconsin farm, and remained at home until he was twenty-six years of age. He traveled through Michigan and was in the copper mines and spent one winter in the lumber woods. He went to Richland county, North Dakota in April, 1883, and there took land as a homestead in Summit township. He had no means with which to start and the first year worked with oxen and worked for others to get along. He spent sixteen years on this farm and built up a good home. He came to Wilkin county, Minnesota, in 1899, and bought a farm in section 35. While a resident of North Dakota he owned two hundred and forty acres of land, and during his two years' residence in Wilkin county he has succeeded in improving three hundred and thirty-eight acres, and has placed three hundred acres of this tract under cultivation. He has good buildings and all machinery and equipment necessary and has met with marked success. He has twenty acres of timber and plenty of wild fruits along the banks of the Red river.
Mr. Caspers was married in 1882 to Miss Katie Hermes. Mrs. Caspers was born in Germany, and her father, Joseph Hermes, was a hotel keeper in Germany. To Mr. and Mrs. Caspers eight children have been born, who are named as follows: Joseph, now deceased; Mary, Jacob, Theresa, Annie, Josephine, Alfred, and Mike. All were born in Richland county, North Dakota. Mr. Caspers is a gentleman of intelligence and is affiliated politically with the Republican party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 539.
Melvin C. Chamberlain, one of the older inhabitants of Lac-qui-parle county, and who has long been well and favorably identified with its affairs, was born in New York, September 20, 1830, and is a son of Joseph Chamberlain. The father was born in New Hampshire, and the Chamberlain family is one of the older and more prominent families of New England.
Joseph Chamberlain died in October, 1847, leaving a family of three boys and four daughters.
Melvin C. Chamberlain grew to manhood in his New York home and received such schooling as the times afforded. When he was sixteen years old he went to Michigan, and worked on a farm his father had bought for his sons, and remained there until he was twenty, when he went back to New York, and began as a hotel keeper at Orangeville, Wyoming county. Two years of this was enough, and after two years in Michigan, he again returned to New York, to take a position with the old New York Central, which he held until 1861. That year he was appointed a recruiting officer in the Union army, and he was engaged in this work until 1865, when he was honorably discharged at the close of the Civil war. Mr. Chamberlain came to Minnesota, and established himself as a furniture merchant at Plainville, Wabasha county, where he continued until 1874. In the meantime he had read law, and made thorough preparation for the legal profession, County Attorney Davis acting as his preceptor. In the spring of 1874 he took a homestead claim in Lac-qui-parle county, on which he established himself, and that fall was elected county attorney for Lac-qui-parle county. This position he filled for one term, and in the fall of 1876 he brought a printing office outfit from New York, and in company with John P. Jacobs launched the Lac-qui-parle "Independent," and continued to edit that paper for eight years. After he quit the paper Mr. Chamberlain devoted his time principally to farming and political matters. He was appointed game warden for southwestern Minnesota, and still holds this position, dating from March 4, 1900.
During the second campaign for the election of Abraham Lincoln, Mr. Chamberlain was very earnest in his behalf, and made speeches all over Iowa and Nebraska.
Mr. Chamberlain was married June 14, 1853, to Miss Angeline E. Dodge, who was born in New York in 1832. She also belonged to one of the old historic American families. She was given a good common school education. They have had a family of five children, one of whom only is living, and is married, making her home at Appleton, Minnesota. The others, all of whom are now dead, were Jennie, Emma J., Bell C. and Fred.
Mr. Chamberlain has always been a Republican, and at different times in his life has filled the offices of county attorney, deputy sheriff, justice of the peace, a position he held for eighteen consecutive years, game warden, and various township offices. He has disposed of all his real estate in Lac-qui-parle county, except a house and lot in Lac-qui-parle village, and is one of the oldest and most respected settlers of the place.
Mr. Chamberlain is a man of not a little literary gift, and in 1897 he compiled and had published a very readable history of Lac-qui-parle county, and its early settlers and missionaries.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 581.
For over a quarter of a century this gentleman has been closely identified with the development and civilization of Becker county, Minnesota. He is proprietor of one of the finest farms of that region, the land being located in Burlington township. His residence is in section 15, and there he enjoys a fitting reward for a well-spent career.
James Chilton was born on a farm in Ontario, Canada, in 1841. The Chilton family came to America in the Mayflower in 1620. Of a family of ten children our subject was the third in order of birth, and he was reared in Canada and aided his father at carpenter work, receiving a country-school education. After reaching his majority he began for himself at carpenter work, and also sailed on the Great Lakes for some three or four seasons. He went to Becker county, Minnesota, in the spring of 1870, and was engaged on the Northern Pacific Railroad survey through Brainerd, and in the fall of that year he moved his family to Becker county and located near the present town of Frazee, then known as Third Crossing of the Ottertail river. His brother had preceded him to that locality and had built a log house. The nearest railroad town was St. Cloud, one hundred and sixty miles away, and supplies were bought at Ottertail, a small inland town. The family located on the farm in December, 1870, and the following spring our subject broke a few acres of land, and during most of the summer he followed railroading and carpentering. He moved to his homestead in Burlington township in 1873, and then proved his claim to the land and in 1881 moved to his present location. His farm now consists of two hundred and eighty acres, and on this tract he has built a complete set of good farm buildings, and has a home of more than usual comforts. He has a sawmill in the timber of his place, where he saws logs during the winter months, and for his farm he has all machinery, including a threshing outfit. During the winter seasons he often employs twenty-five men in lumbering, and he conducts an extensive business in this line.
Mr. Chilton was married in Canada in 1866 to Miss Annie Redpath. Mrs. Chilton was born near Toronto, Canada, and was a daughter of James Redpath, a farmer of Scotch and Irish descent. Mr. and Mrs. Chilton are the parents of eight children, who are named in order of birth as follows: Alexander G., Horatio F., Jennie M., Guy G., Henry G., Eva Maria, James R. and Albert Sidney. The six younger children were born in Minnesota. Mr. Chilton is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and politically he is a Republican and is an earnest worker for party principles. He has attended numerous county, district and state conventions of his party for the past twenty-five years, and is a member of the county central committee. He is prominent in local affairs, and has held numerous township offices of trust.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 260-63.
William P. Christensen, one of the leading citizens of Olivia, Renville county, who has by sheer force of character and strength of will, conjoined with native intelligence, and a good and substantial education, won for himself a fine position among the men who have made the Northwest, was born in Denmark, in 1844, and reared in the city. His father was a government officer, in the custom service, and the social standing of the family very good. William P. was given a thorough schooling, and when the Danish-Prussian war broke out in 1864, immediately reported for duty in the Danish army, though only nineteen years of age. In 1869 he sought a home in America, and came to Minneapolis, where he spent some three years in clerking in various stores. He was also on the Minneapolis police force, and in 1879 he came to Olivia. Here he established a general store, which was the second to open its doors in the rising village. That year he received the appointment of postmaster, being the first to hold that position after the office was named Olivia. He resigned this office in 1885, and was then named register of the United States land office at Redwood Falls, where he lived four years. Mr. Christensen was one of the incorporators of the village of Olivia, and was the first president of the village board in 1881. He was elected to the state senate in 1882, and served two terms.
Mr. Christensen, on his return from Redwood Falls, opened his present real estate and insurance office, and was again appointed postmaster. He filled that office three years, and raised it to third grade in rank. For fifteen years he has been justice of the peace, a member of the school board, and of the village council. In politics he takes an independent stand.
Mr. Christensen was married in 1874 in Minneapolis to Mary Thorson, and has a family of four children now living. George F., who was born in Minneapolis, is now clerk of the superior court of Adams county, Washington. Henry E. is a banker in Oklahoma. Zelma C. and William P. are at school.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 471.
Ole O. Christianson, register of deeds of Polk county, is one of the honored public officials of the county and is a business man of enterprise and capability. He is senior member of the firm of Christianson & Strander, the well known real estate and abstracting firm of Crookston.
Mr. Christianson was born in Allamakee county, Iowa, June 28, 1858. He was the fifth in order of birth in a family of nine children, seven of whom are now living. The parents were Ole and Anne (Viden) Christianson, both of whom were natives of Norway. They are now residents of Polk county, and reside on their farm near Fertile, Minnesota.
Ole O. Christianson and his brother Christian came to Polk county in the spring of 1879, and our subject entered claim to land in Garfield township, and the brother followed school teaching. The parents joined them in Polk county in 1880. Ole Christianson engaged in clerking for several years and in 1886 he and his brother opened a real estate office, and under the name of Christianson Brothers became one of the leading real estate firms of Crookston. In 1891 a set of abstract books was added. In 1895 the business passed to the present firm of Christianson & Strander. They have the only set of abstract books in the county, and have an extensive business in real estate, loans, insurance and abstracting. Mr. Christianson has prospered in Minnesota, and from a cash capital of three dollars when he went to his new home he has accumulated a good income and is regarded as one of the substantial business men of Crookston.
Mr. Christianson was married, in 1888, to Miss Ella Helland. The family circle is completed by Mr. and Mrs. Christianson's twin children, Ole and Ella. Mr. Christianson has given much attention to public affairs of local import and he is a competent and faithful officer. He was elected register of deeds of Polk county in the fall of 1900, in which capacity he now serves. He was city treasurer of Crookston for six years and enjoys the confidence of his associates. He is a member of the Lutheran church, and in political sentiment is a Republican and stands firmly for his convictions.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 211.
Robert L. Cochrane, a prominent business man and public-spirited citizen of West Duluth, Minnesota, is engaged in the lumber business and conducts one of the most extensive enterprises of this city.
Mr. Cochrane was born in Whitehall, Illinois, May 27, 1865. His father, James Cochrane, was a lumber merchant and is now retired from active business pursuits. Our subject was the second child and only son of a family of three children and he lived in his native place until he was sixteen years of age and attended the city schools. He graduated from the Illinois College at Jacksonville, Illinois, in 1888, from the scientific department, and the same year went to Colorado for his health. He spent one year there and May 4, 1889, came to Duluth. He was employed with different parties until 1892, when he located in West Duluth and opened a lumber yard, and he now handles lumber, hay, grain, and fuel, and has built up a large and increasing business.
Mr. Cochrane was married in the fall of 1890 to Miss Mable Seaton. Mrs. Cochrane was born in Potosi, Wisconsin, and she taught school in her native state for some time. Her father is of Scotch blood and is an attorney. To Mr. and Mrs. Cochrane three daughters have been born, namely: Jean, Florence and Frances. Mr. Cochrane is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and the Knights of Pythias. He was elected councilman in February, 1897, and served two years, during which time he was president of the city council. He was again elected in February, 1900, and has been renominated for the third term in this office. Politically he is a stanch Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 808.
There were 1418 visitors from 12 May 2006 to 3 Jul 2011. Visitor stats were lost 5 Nov 2005 to 12 May 2006 because of a broken counter. There were 950 visitors from 29 May 2001 to 5 Nov 2005.
Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN
© 2001 - 2011