Jeremiah C. Collins, one of the prominent business men of Benson, Minnesota, is engaged in the insurance, real estate, and loan business in Swift county. He has been a resident there for the past sixteen years and has gained a good business and the respect and esteem of all with whom he has to do.
Mr. Collins was born in Jo Daviess county, Illinois, October 5, 1852, and was a son of Timothy and Mary (Angland) Collins. The father farmed and taught school in Illinois. Both were natives of county Cork, Ireland. They were the parents of six sons and six daughters. Two sons and two daughters are still living. The mother resides with her son, T. A. Collins, in Benson. In 1856 the father and family moved to Wabasha county, Minnesota. The father bought land there and settled down to farming near Lake City. He removed to Swift county in the spring of 1881. Our subject had preceded him and has been a resident of that locality since 1879.
During his early residence in Swift county Mr. Collins engaged in teaching and farming until 1886, and in the fall of that year he was elected register of deeds of Swift county and held the office ten consecutive years. He is interested with others in several large tracts of land and buys and sells mostly along the line of land. He owns his residence and the business property and land where his office is located, and he makes the buying and selling of land his principal business, giving most attention to farm lands. He also handles collections and insurance, and is a man of much push and energy. He is thoroughly reliable as a business man and is popular as a genial and worthy citizen.
Mr. Collins was married January 1, 1877, at De Graff, Swift county, Minnesota, to Elizabeth McDonnell, daughter of Patrick and Susan (Hawkins) McDonnell. Her father is deceased, but the mother survives and makes her home with our subject and wife. To Mr. and Mrs. Collins the following children have been born: Frank L., ex-deputy sheriff of Swift county, now with Pioneer Land Company, St. Paul; Timothy P. and Susie May, twins; Mary E., Charles A., John C., Robert, Clarence, and Agnes E. Mr. Collins is a member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, United Workmen, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and Woodmen. Politically he is a Democrat. During his residence in Benson he has filled the office of councilman and was mayor of the city one term. He was a member of the school board ten consecutive years, was for fourteen years secretary of the fire department and is serving his seventh year as justice of the peace.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 500-01.
In compiling a list of the influential citizens of Traverse county, Minnesota, who have become identified with the development of the commercial interests of that region, a prominent place is accorded the name of Joseph Compton, whose home is in Clifton township. There Mr. Compton has built up a good farm and has gathered about him the comforts and many of the luxuries of life and is reaping the reward of his many years of earnest labor.
Our subject was born in Warmland, Sweden, in 1865, and was the fourth in a family of eight children, four sons and four daughters. His father was a farmer and hotel-keeper in Sweden. His mother was also a native of that country and spent her life there. Our subject was reared in his native land and attended the common schools. He worked on his father's farm and learned the art of farming in his early youth. He came to America in 1887, landing at Boston. He went direct to Minneapolis and there worked as a coachman for seven years. He came to Traverse county in 1894, when he purchased his present home farm. He built a house 16 by 24 feet, and commodious barn, granary, and machine shed, and has erected all necessary buildings and supplied himself with all machinery for conducting a modern farm. In 1895 he raised twenty-five bushels of wheat per acre, and has brought his land to a high state of cultivation, and raises good crops annually. He owns eighty acres of land, and operates about two thousand four hundred acres. He has a fine grove on his home farm as a result of his early planting and cultivation of the same. He is a man of much energy and has prospered through his persistent efforts.
Mr. Compton was married in 1894 to Miss Tillie Carlson. Mrs. Compton was born in Sweden, and came to America in 1892. Her father is a farmer of Sweden, and cultivates his own land. Mr. and Mrs. Compton are the parents of six children, namely: George E., Edward L., Albert J., Paul R., and twin daughters born in 1903. Mr. Compton is a Republican politically and lends his influence for good government, local and national. He has been an important factor in the upbuilding of the better interests of his home community and is highly esteemed by his fellowmen.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 381.
William J. Conard, one of the self-made successful business men of Hubbard county, is proprietor of the Hubbard CounCompendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesotaty Enterprise, published at Park Rapids. He is one of the well known newspaper men of that region and has increased the business of the paper and its job printing office in a wonderful degree.
Mr. Conard was born in Ohio, December 17, 1852, and was a son of Dennis and Susan A. (Randolph) Conard, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania. He passed his boyhood in his native state and at the age of fifteen years changed his residence to Iowa. He was given liberal educational advantages and completed his education with a course at the Chicago Seminary. He became engaged in home missionary work of the Congregational society in Minnesota, beginning in 1887, and was engaged along that line until 1898, when on account of ill health he engaged in the newspaper business. He began his career as a newspaper man with the Hubbard County Enterprise, which paper was established in 1882. It now has a circulation of 1,000 subscribers, and is read throughout Hubbard and adjacent counties. Mr. Conard is publisher and H. R. Cobb is associated with him as editor. Mr. Conard has an excellent plant for job work of all kinds and received his full share of this line of work in the locality. He has met with success in newspaper work and publishes an extremely good paper.
William J. Conard was married in 1889 to May R. Ricker. Mrs. Conard was born in Iowa, May 1, 1869. To Mr. and Mrs. Conard two children have been born, namely: William R. and Ralph V. Mr. Conard is an active member of the Congregational church, and is interested in Sunday school work. He is a gentleman of exemplary character, industrious, and possessed of broad mind, and well merits his financial success and good name as a citizen. Politically he is identified with the Republican party, and is a stanch advocate of the principles of this organization.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 198.
Edward Connelly, a rising young farmer of Wilkin county, conducts a valuable estate in Connelly township. He is a representative of one of the oldest families of this region and the members of this family are all well known residents and enjoy the respect of the community. The father, also Edward Connelly, late of the same township, was one of the influential citizens of his locality, and a sketch of his life appears immediately following this review.
The subject of our sketch, Edward Connelly, was born in Wilkin county, Minnesota, February 25, 1873. He was reared in his home county and attended the common schools. At the age of ten years he became his father's assistant on the home farm and took the place of hired help. He continued this until his father's death, March 27, 1901, when the farm came into his possession and he has since conducted the same. This farm consists of four hundred and eighty acres of land, nearly all of which is under plow. A set of good farm buildings have been placed thereon and a fine grove, which the father planted, is a valuable improvement to the property and a source of comfort to the family.
Mr. Connelly occupies a high position socially and is esteemed highly as a citizen. He has served his township as treasurer, constable, and school director. In political faith he is a Democrat.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 654.
Edward Connelly, Sr., deceased, was for many years prior to his death a prominent citizen of Wilkin county, his residence being in section 16, township 133, range 47. He settled in Wilkin county nearly forty-five years ago and built up one of the finest farms of the township which bears his name.
Mr. Connelly was born in Enniskillen, county Fermanagh, Ireland, April 25, 1830, and was a son of Terrance and Catherine (Carlson) Connelly, who were also natives of Ireland. He was one of eight children, namely: Patrick, James, Edward, John, Hugh, Thomas, Terrance, and Anna. The father died in 1874 and the mother in 1889. Our subject lived with his grandparents from the age of six months until he was fifteen years of age and then emigrated to America. He went from Philadelphia to New Jersey, where he remained for seven years. He began to learn th printer's trade, but abandoned this and learned landscape gardening, which he followed in New Jersey. He later came to Minnesota and spent two years in St. Paul and then came to the Red River Valley and took a homestead claim to land. He improved a large farm and engaged in general farming and stock raising. He settled in Wilkin county in 1859, but spent the first eighteen months in this part of Minnesota with the Hudson Bay Company in Clay county. He worked two years as fancy gardener at Fort Garey, Manitoba, and then bought wheat for the Farrington Company of St. Paul, shipping from Ft. Garey. In 1864 he went to McCauleyville and was overseer of ox trains from St. Cloud to different parts of Dakota. He entered his homestead claim in Wilkin county, in section 16, township 133, range 47, in the spring of 1868. He improved the farm and planted a fine grove of thousands of varieties of trees.
Mr. Connelly was married March 31, 1868, to Ellen McDonald, a native of Ireland. Four children were born to this union, namely: Margaret C., Ellen Anna, Edward T., and Sophia G. The family are members of the Catholic church of which Mr. Connelly was trustee at the time of his death. Mr. Connelly died March 27, 1901. He was honored as a man of the highest integrity and is deeply mourned by his relatives and many friends. He was one of the leading men of his township and county and served as county commissioner for twenty or more years. Politically he was a Democrat.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 654-55.
Alvin B. Converse, one of the leading business men of Barry, Minnesota, is an old settler of Big Stone county. He is engaged in traveling for the Western Manufacturing Company of Minneapolis. He is a man of wide business experience and has prospered in his business enterprises.
Mr. Converse was born in Rice county, Minnesota, in the village of Dundas, June 4, 1866. His father, Fred J. Converse, was born in Connecticut, and was of old American stock. He was a railroad contractor and was one of the early settlers of Wisconsin. He located in Minnesota during the Civil war. Our subject was the oldest of the children born to his mother. He has three half-sisters. He was reared in Rice county, and educated in Dundas and Northfield. He began railroad work at the age of seventeen years in Manitoba, and spent one year on the Northern Pacific at Fargo, where he was supply agent. He also spent six months on the C. & G. W. Railroad, and was located at Randolph, Minnesota. He had previously spent one year in Barry as a clerk. He again went to Barry in 1884, and secured employment as clerk in a general merchandise establishment, which position he filled two years. He then began buying wheat for the Minnesota and Dakota Elevator Company, and also bought an interest in a general store and conducted the business until 1892. He spent two years in St. Paul clerking and had charge of the South St. Paul postoffice. He returned to Barry and spent one year at farming and then taught the Clinton school in Big Stone county for two years, and was a successful and popular instructor. He opened a mercantile establishment in Barry in 1898, and was engaged in the general merchandise business there until the spring of 1902, when he disposed of the business. He was elected county superintendent of schools in Big Stone county in 1900 and filled the office for one term. In the fall of 1902 he erected an elevator in Barry, with a capacity of thirty thousand bushels, equipped with all modern machinery for the handling of grain, and operated by a twelve horse power gasoline engine. He sold the elevator in July, 1903, to the Carver Elevator Company. He is the owner of valuable property including three residences in Barry and one in Clinton, and is one of the prosperous business men of his locality.
Mr. Converse was married in 1887 to Miss Lizzie De Staffany. Mrs. Converse was born in Stillwater, Minnesota, in 1869, and was a daughter of William De Staffany. To Mr. and Mrs. Converse six children have been born, namely; Ida M., Alvina, Gaylord, Rebecca, and Ruth, and one deceased, Authur W. All were born in Big Stone county, Minnesota. Mr. Converse takes an active and leading part in all local public affairs, and is a gentleman of intelligence and much influence. He has served in various local offices including village recorder and justice of the peace, and has been village treasurer. He is a Democrat politically.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 412-13.
John E. Corliss, who occupies a prominent place among the younger members of the farming community of Deerhorn township, is one of the early settlers of Wilkin county, and is engaged extensively in agricultural pursuits. He has built up a fine farm and has gained an enviable reputation as a citizen and has a host of friends.
Mr. Corliss was born in Winona county, Minnesota, April 7, 1865. His father, Stilson H. Corliss, is of old American stock, and followed farming in Winona county. He came to Wilkin county in 1879 and took a homestead, where he now resides. Three of his brothers served in the Civil war.
John E. Corliss was the eldest of five children and he was reared in his native county until he was fourteen years of age, when he came to Wilkin county, Minnesota, with his father. He remained at home until he was nineteen years of age and then returned to Winona county and worked out there for five years. He went to Barnesville, Clay county, in 1888 and worked in the car shops there until 1890, when he decided to begin farming for himself and came to Wilkin county, purchasing land here. He has built up a good farm of five hundred and sixty acres, nearly all of which he had under cultivation and the remainder is grass and pasture. He has a set of good farm buildings and has met with success in diversified fanning. He has suffered loss of crops by hail, but withal has prospered and is regarded as one of the leading farmers of his township.
Mr. Corliss is unmarried, and his mother and sister reside with him on his farm. He is a gentleman of active public spirit and has served as township treasurer for the past five years and enjoys the confidence of the people among whom he resides. In political sentiment he is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 607.
Ole Corneliusen, one of the prominent farmers of Swift county, resides on the west half of section 22, of Six Mile Grove township, where he owns four hundred and forty acres of fine farm land. Most of the land is on the west side of the Chippewa River, which flows through his farm. He has been a resident of this township since 1866, and has been closely identified with the development of the agricultural resources of that region.
Mr. Corneliusen was born in Norway, February 4, 1842. His parents were Cornelius and Helene (Anderson) Corneliusen, and to them were born three children, our subject being the eldest. The mother died in Norway in 1862.
Our subject learned the wagon maker's trade in his native land and came to the United States in 1864. He worked in Chicago for about two weeks, and then went to Chattanooga, Tennessee, and found work along his line of business on government work. In 1866, after the close of the war, he came to Minnesota and pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres in sections 27 and 28 of Six Mile Grove township, and about two years later took a homestead claim of eighty acres in section 22 of the same township, and from time to time has added to his acreage. At the time he took the homestead he had the name of O. C. Dal, and he later changed it from the name of the form Dal to his father's name, Corneliusen, the C. in his former name being the initial for his father's name. The father came from Norway in 1865 with his daughter, Gunel, leaving in Norway his other son, Carl, who came to America in 1866. Gunel married Andrew Larson, and she is now deceased. Her husband resides in Willmar. Since taking up his residence in Minnesota our subject has applied himself to farming and he follows mixed farming successfully. He erected a commodious modern residence in 1902, and has a fine barn, granary, sheds, and plenty of shade around his dwelling. He planted the trees and made all the improvements to be found on his well cultivated farm, and has a pleasant home. He has a nice herd of cows and generally makes his own butter, but at other times sends milk to the creamery. He is one of the progressive farmers of his community.
Mr. Corneliusen was married in 1869 to Rande Hanson. To Mr. and Mrs. Corneliusen eleven children have been born, six of whom are now living, and are named as follows; Carl, who is married and resides in North Dakota; Hans, Cornelius, Adolph, Alma, and Clara. Mr. Corneliusen has served as a member of the school board and supervisor of his township, and takes a commendable interest in local public affairs. He is a member of the Norwegian Lutheran church.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 412.
To the earliest settlers of Big Stone county, Minnesota, the name of Thomas Costello is well known. He located on a farm in Graceville township when there was practically nothing in sight for the struggles and hardships which it became the lot of the pioneer to pass through, but he was possessed of an indomitable will and stanch courage and he took up his work with success as his watchword. He labored faithfully for some years, and at his demise, his widow took up the management of the farm and is now the owner of one of the best estates of the locality. In the management and labors of the farm she has been assisted by her brother, Jeremiah Scanlan, and her sons, and the family is known throughout that locality and highly esteemed.
Thomas Costello was born in county Limerick, Ireland, in 1859, and his parents were also natives of Ireland. He was reared in his native place and there married. He came to America about the time of the Civil war, and was a teamster in the United States army. After the close of the war he returned to Ireland and followed farming there. He again came to America with his family in 1879, and took a homestead in section 1 of Graceville township. He built a claim shanty, in which they lived for about three years and then part of the present residence was erected. All supplies and lumber were hauled from Morris. Water on the farm was hard to get and they were obliged to go on some occasions to Graceville for a pail of water. During the early days they burned twisted hay for fuel. The first crop was not put in till about 1881. Mr. Costello labored persistently to improve and cultivate his farm, and after his death in 1887, the management of the farm devolved upon his widow. Mrs. Costello was left with a family of eight children, and she accordingly made arrangements with her brother, Jeremiah Scanlan, to assume charge of the farm. He came from Ireland to America in 1888. He was born in 1843 and spent his early youth and manhood in his native land. He planted a fine grove on the place about 1891, and by all the members of the family working in unison they have developed a fine farm. This consists of three hundred and twenty acres of which two hundred and sixty acres is under cultivation. A set of good buildings have been erected and a tubular well two hundred feet deep, with windmill attached is one of the valuable features of the farm. In 1895 the grain raised on the land owned by the family reached fifteen thousand bushels. The family now have a comfortable and pleasant home.
Thomas Costello was married in 1867 to Mary Scanlan. Mrs. Costello was born in Limerick, Ireland, and is of Irish parentage. To Mr. and Mrs. Costello eight children were born, who are as follows: John, now farming in Big Stone county, Minnsota [sic]; Patrick, engaged in farming in Traverse county, Minnesota; Maria, a teacher in the High School at Madison, Wisconsin; Mike, engaged in conducting a meat business in Graceville; Thomas, studying medicine at the State University; Matilda, teaching at Hopkins, near Minneapolis; Margaret, teaching in Traverse county; and William, a student of the High School at Graceville, Minnesota. All of the children, with the exception of the youngest, were born in Ireland. Mr. Costello was accidentally killed by a snow plow on the Great Northern Railroad, February 12, 1887. His death was a great affliction to his family, and the many friends he had made during his residence in Big Stone county.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 485.
Judge George M. Cowie, one of the most prominent citizens of Wilkin county, Minnesota, is a pioneer settler of that region. He is editor and proprietor of the "Rothsay Record," published at Rothsay, and is a business man of ability and enterprise.
Mr. Cowie was born on a farm in Buffalo county, Wisconsin, in 1857. His father, George Cowie, was a farmer and a prominent citizen of Buffalo county, Wisconsin and in 1872 served in the Wisconsin legislature. Both parents of our subject were born in Scotland and came to America about 1850.
George M. Cowie was the first white child born in Glenco township, Buffalo county, Wisconsin, and he was raised on the frontier and assisted his father with the farm work. He attended the common schools and later the high school and the Normal at River Falls. He taught his first term of school at the age of seventeen years and he followed this profession for about eight years. He went to South Dakota in 1882 and located at Volga, where he spent one season as a bookkeeper, and in the fall of the same year came to Rothsay, Minnesota, and here bought grain for the North Western Elevator Company, and was in their employ for about seven years. He then spent two years at Granite Falls after which he returned to Rothsay. In 1894 he was appointed postmaster at Rothsay, and was an efficient and faithful officer. He established the "Rothsay Record," the first paper established in the town and has since conducted this paper. He had previously been engaged for two years in the mercantile business at Maynard, Minnesota. The "Rothsay Record," as conducted by Mr. Cowie, is one of the widely read and best papers of the county, and is recognized as one of the bright exchanges of that locality. It is independent in politics.
Mr. Cowie was married in 1885 to Miss Sarah J. Fuller. Mrs. Cowie was born in Minnesota. Mr. and Mrs. Cowie are the parents of five children, namely: Leslie, Ethel, Sheldon, George and Dorris. Mr. Cowie was elected probate judge of Wilkin county in 1898, and his re-election evidences his faithful services in this office. He served two terms and gained the confidence of his associates. He is a stanch Democrat politically and has served in county and state conventions of his party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 454.
As a representative member of the farming community of Hamden township the gentleman above named is widely known. He is universally respected as a man of integrity and excellent characteristics, and his home in section 34 is one of the pleasant and comfortable estates of Becker county.
Mr. Cravath was born in Courtland county, New York, March 11, 1838. His father, Orrin Cravath, was of French descent and was a farmer by occupation. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Betsey Northway, and she was of American birth, her people having been citizens of this country for some generations back. Of a family of six children, our subject was the fourth in order of birth. He was raised on a farm in his native state, and when he was twelve years of age removed with his parents to Oberlin, Ohio, where the father located in order to accord his children liberal educational advantages. The family later moved to Winona county, Minnesota, in 1856, and the father took government land and developed a good property. There our subject was reared to manhood and his education was completed in the public schools at Oberlin, Ohio. After he attained his majority Mr. Cravath began farming for himself in Winona county, Minnesota, and continued three years in Saratoga township. In 1864, owing to ill health, he gave up active pursuits and spent one year traveling through the west, his family remaining at the old home in Minnesota. In the spring of 1865 Mr. Cravath moved his family to Missouri, where he purchased a well developed farm, one which had been operated by slave labor for about five years. He began raising wheat and also entered into the dairy business there, but after three years of fruitless efforts to make a success there he returned to Winona county, Minnesota, where he resided about two years. He came to Becker county in 1870, going overland from Sauk Center. He was employed as clerk and bookkeeper for a railroad contractor, and upon his arrival in Becker county he made arrangements to begin farming, moving his family to the farm which he had selected and on which he had built a log stable. In this building they resided for the first fifteen months until more comfortable quarters could be established. He began farming operations with horses, but soon began with ox teams, and continued to break land with them the first four years. The first season he broke eighty acres of land and the crop thereon was destroyed. About 1872 our subject was appointed local land agent for the Northern Pacific Railroad Company and also townsite agent for the town of Audubon, and he held the latter position until 1874, and also continued his farming. He then returned to Winona county and purchased grain for an elevator company at St. Charles, the change of residence being made in order to give his children good educational advantages. He returned to his farm in Becker county in 1879 and entered the employ of the Northern Pacific Elevator Company as traveling inspector through Minnesota and Dakota, and continued with this company fourteen years. During this time he conducted his farm with hired help and the assistance of his sons and succeeded in developing one of the finest estates of the county. Since 1893 he has devoted his attention entirely to agriculture, and he is now the owner of four hundred acres of valuable land, all of which is under high cultivation. The buildings of his farm present a most imposing scene on the landscape, being commodious, substantial and well located, and he has a comfortable residence, the outlook from which is onto a fine lake to the south and one to the west. He has met with unbounded success in general farming and stock-raising, and operates a dairy also. For the past three years his land has been operated on shares and from the income from his farm Mr. Cravath lives practically retired from active pursuits.
Our subject was married, September 24, 1860, to Miss Margaret Johnson. Mrs. Cravath was born in the town of Warren, Ohio, in 1842. Her father, James H. C. Johnson, was of English and Scotch descent, and her mother, whose maiden name was Betsey Parsons, was of English and Welsh descent. Mrs. Cravath is a lady of excellent education and rare accomplishments, and she is a writer of considerable note. Her series of letters written in 1896, entitled "Back in the '70s," portray many interesting incidents and experiences of pioneer life in the Northwest. To Mr. and Mrs. Cravath eight children have been born, who are as follows: Fred J.; Milo A.; Orrin D.; Alice E.; Llewellyn B.; Margaret C.; Mary, deceased; and Grace. Mr. Cravath is one of the public-spirited citizens of his locality, and he has been honored with various responsible offices. In the fall of 1871 he was elected a representative to the state legislature of Minnesota, and served in that capacity one term. In political faith he is a Republican and is active in the work of that party, serving as delegate to numerous county conventions. He and his family are among the earliest pioneers of Becker county, and are highly esteemed and respected in the community in which they have spent so many years.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 161-62.
Peter Crete, one of the enterprising and prosperous farmers of Anoka county, is an old settler of that locality and has gained a valuable estate and an enviable reputation as a citizen. His home is in section 24 of Columbus township.
Mr. Crete was born on a farm in Canada in 1856, and was a son of John Crete, a native of Canada, who was a farmer by occupation. Our subject was the second in a family of seven children and he was reared in Canada and there became acquainted with hard farm work. He went to the lumber woods of Wisconsin at the age of twenty years, and after three years there went to Minnesota and spent some time near Duluth and Chippewa Falls. He settled on his present farm in Anoka county in 1882. This was all timber land with no improvements, and but one or two acres under cultivation. He erected a house and began the improvement of his farm and he is now the owner of eighty acres of valuable land. About half is under cultivation and the rest is pasture and meadow. He engages in diversified farming and has met with pronounced success and is one of the substantial men of his community.
Mr. Crete was married in 1890 to Miss Mary Reun, who was born in Minnesota, and is of French descent. To Mr. and Mrs. Crete a family of seven children have been born, namely: Emma, David, Olive, Theodore, Luella, Wilfred and Bessie. All were born on the farm in Anoka county. Mr. Crete is a gentleman of active public spirit and he has served as school director for three years and as road overseer in his township. Politically he is a Republican, and he lends his influence for good government and is respected by all who know him.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 661.
One of the highest tributes to be paid a citizen is to say that he is a leading old settler. During the many years of his residence in a community he has been placed in communication with many of the inhabitants of his home community and his career has been open to their criticisms one way or the other. The gentleman above named is classed among the pioneers of Wilkin county, Minnesota, and as a resident of Champion township, and a farmer of enterprise and integrity he has passed favorable criticism and enjoys the confidence and esteem of his fellowmen. He has been successful in his business ventures and has gained an enviable reputation in his home community.
Mr. Cross was born in North Prairie, near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and was a son of W. M. Cross, a farmer and pioneer of Winnebago county, Wisconsin. His parents were natives of England. Our subject was reared in his native state and attended the schools of his neighborhood and completed his studies in a commercial school. At the age of eighteen years he started for himself and followed farm work in Wisconsin and spent some time in the lumber woods. He began farming for himself about 1876 and continued in Wisconsin until 1881, when he came to Minnesota and settled on a homestead in section 10, township 130, range 45. He built a house 16 by 24 feet and began farming with horses. This was a raw prairie farm and no improvements had been put thereon, but he continued his labors there and is now the owner of a fine farm. He now owns eight hundred acres of land in Wilkin county and a tree claim in Grant county and has an additional tract of six hundred and forty acres, and is interested in Canadian lands to the extent of eight hundred acres in northern Alberta. On his home farm he has erected a set of good buildings and has all conveniences and modern improvements of farming. In March, 1901, he became interested in the Bank of Tintah and was one of the organizers and incorporators and is at present a director. He is treasurer of the Canadian Land Company.
Mr. Cross was married in Wisconsin in 1876 to Miss Mary A. Mace. Mrs. Cross was born in England, and her father, Walter Mace, was a farmer by occupation. He came to Wilkin county, Minnesota, in 1886 or '87. Mr. and Mrs. Cross are the parents of three children who are as follows: Claudia, born in Wisconsin; Richard, and George. Mr. Cross takes a commendable and active interest in local public affairs and has served as township treasurer and school clerk since the organization of the township and school district, and also as treasurer of the village of Nashua. He is a Republican politically and stands firmly for the principles of his party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 762.
William Cross, known in Wilkin county for the past quarter of a century, is one of the influ-ential citizens of Campbell township. He is engaged in conducting one of the most extensive farms of that region and has other extensive financial interests there. He is a gentleman of sterling character and well merits the high station which he occupies.
Mr. Cross was born in Waukesha county, Wisconsin, in 1846. His father, William Cross, was a native of England, and became one of the early settlers of Wisconsin. Our subject was reared in his native state and attended the schools of Winnebago county, where the family located in 1848. He took a business course in a business college of Chicago at the age of twenty years and after attaining his majority he began for himself. He did work for others and also farmed for himself and spent the winters in the lumber woods. He and his brother, Robert G. Cross, operated a threshing machine for seven years in Wisconsin. He spent five years at farming in Wisconsin and in 1878 came to Wilkin county, Minnesota, and located on section 24, township 130, range 47 as a tree claim. He bought a section of land, comprising section 19 of township 130, range 46, in the spring of 1879 and with his family located thereon permanently, and raised his first crop in 1880. He has prospered to a marked degree in his farming operations and follows grain and stock raising. He has a farm of one thousand one hundred acres, from seven hundred to eight hundred acres of which is under cultivation, and the rest is pasture and meadow. He has a set of fourteen buildings on his farm, including a convenient and commodious residence, cattle barns, horse barns, blacksmith shop, chicken houses, and other necessary farm buildings. Mr. Cross is interested in the First National Bank of Fairmont, and is vice-president of the institution. He is also treasurer of the Fairmont Grain company. He is opening up a farm of five hundred and twenty-four acres in Aitken county.
Mr. Cross was married in Wisconsin in 1872 to Miss Mary A. Davis. Mrs. Cross was born in Winnebago county, Wisconsin, and was of old American stock. Her father, D. T. Davis, was a farmer by occupation. Mr. and Mrs. Cross are the parents of nine children, who are as follows: Francis C., engaged in teaching in Wilkin county; Albert D., teaming in the lumber woods; Orville, engaged in the implement and machinery business in Towner, North Dakota; Nellie, re-siding at home; J. F., teaming in the lumber woods; B. T., residing at home; Ethel, attending high school in Wahpeton; Harry J., attend-ing school at home; and David L., also residing at home and attending school. Mrs. Cross died in January, 1897. Mr. Cross was in this locality at the organization of his township and he has since taken an active and leading part in local affairs. He has served on the board of supervisors a good share of the time and assisted in the organization of his school district and has since served as school treasurer. He is a stanch Republican politically.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 723.
William Dexter Cross, one of the best known residents of Wilkin county, has made his home in this locality for the past quarter of a century. During this time he has built up a fine home and has accidentally gained confidence and esteem of his fellowmen. He is a gentleman of sterling character and by persistent industry and honesty he has placed himself above want and now enjoys a home of great comfort in the city of Campbell.
Mr. Cross was born in Winnebago county, Wisconsin, March 23, 1851. He was reared in his native county and assisted on the home farm. His father, John Cross, was born in Yorkshire, England, and came to America at the age of fifteen years. He worked his way to this country through friendship with the sailors. At his father's death he was left with the support of the family, being one of thirteen children, several of whom were younger than himself. He settled as a squatter in Wisconsin Territory, and by hard work and good management he prospered and reared his family in comfortable circumstances. He died in his home in Wisconsin in 1896 at the advanced age of eighty-two years. He was one of the respected citizens of his home community. He was married at the age of thirty years to Angeline Stover, who was born in Utica, New York, and was of Dutch-American stock. Of a family of six children born to this worthy couple our subject was the third in order of birth. He was reared on the home farm, but as this was a pioneer country he received a limited schooling and completed his studies at the age of seventeen years. He remained at home until he was twenty-three years of age and he then engaged in farming in Wisconsin for six years. He moved with his family to Campbell, Minnesota, in the spring of 1880 and purchased land and became a pioneer settler of Wilkin county. He followed farming in Brandrup township for eighteen years. He bought this land when he first visited the county in 1878. He sold the farm in 1898 and moved to Campbell, where he erected a residence, and he has since been associated with the Deering Harvester Company.
Mr. Cross was married at the age of twenty-three years to Miss Mary Champion. Mrs. Cross was born at Summit, Wisconsin, and her father, John Champion, was a farmer of Wisconsin. Her brother has served as county superintendent of schools of Wilkin county for the past four years. Mr. and Mrs. Cross are the parents of one child, Jessie L., who was born at Campbell, Minnesota, and is a graduate of Caton Business College of Minneapolis, and at present is bookkeeper for an implement house in Campbell. Mr. Cross is active in public affairs of his town and has served as township chairman and township treasurer in Brandrup township for eleven years. He helped to organize and name the township. He has been clerk of the school board of Campbell for the past seven or eight years and during this time the school has been organized into a semi-graded school, and now occupies a three roomed building valued at $8,000. Mr. Cross is prominent in secret society circles and may well be styled the father of the Masonic fraternity at Campbell. He assisted in the organization and was a charter member of this lodge which was organized in Campbell in 1885. He was then appointed worshipful master and has served as master of the lodge for fifteen years and is now serving in that capacity. This lodge started with fourteen members and now has a membership of fifty-six and owns lodge property valued at $1,800, and is the leading lodge of Campbell. Mr. Cross has taken an active part in Masonic work and has exemplified the work for other lodges of the state. The present good standing of the Campbell lodge is due largely to the efforts of Mr. Cross.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 681-82.
Wilson H. Cross, familiarly known to his many friends as Harry Cross, was one of the first settlers to locate in Wilkin county in the vicinity of Campbell. There was not a house to be seen in this locality and be [sic] built the first one on his farm in the early days there. He is one of the substantial citizens of that region and has prospered as a business man, and is now engaged in the real estate business in Campbell.
Mr. Cross was born in Winnebago county, Wisconsin, in 1853. His father, John Cross, was born in Yorkshire, England, and he was a farmer by occupation. He came to America at the age of fifteen years. The mother of our subject was born in Utica, New York. Of a family of six children born to this worthy couple our subject was the fourth in order of birth. He had four brothers and one sister. He was reared in Wisconsin and remained on the farm with his father until he was twenty-five years of age. In June, 1878, he came to Minnesota and took a homestead claim and also bought six hundred and forty acres of rail-road land and in the spring of 1879 he became a permanent resident of his homestead. He cultivated his land and engaged extensively in farming and owned six hundred and forty acres of cultivated land, on which he had placed a complete set of good buildings and had a grove of some five or six acres, the trees of which he planted. He raised as high as thirty-seven bushels per acre of wheat and over ninety bushels of oats. He made a success of farming and built up a good home. This property he sold in 1897 and moved to Campbell, where he engaged in the implement business. He bought a store building which he remodeled and he continued in the implement business until the fall of 1901, when he disposed of the business and has since dealt in real estate. He has built up a prosperous business in this line.
Mr. Cross was married in 1874 to Miss Maria C. Allen. Mrs. Cross was born in Wisconsin and is of American stock. Her father, Steven A. Allen, is a farmer by occupation and was one of the pioneer settlers of Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Cross are the parents of two children, namely: Allen H., and Marie L., both of whom were born in Wisconsin. The family are members of the Union Congregational church and Mr. Cross assisted in the organization of this denomination in Campbell and the erection of the house of worship and is an active church worker. He is a liberal contributor to the support of the church and he is also ready at all times to support any enterprise which tends to the upbuilding of the better interests of the community where he makes his home. He was the first chairman of the township board and has also served as assessor and in 1890 was census enumerator. He is a stanch Republican and has attended numerous conventions of his party as a delegate.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 663.
J. K. Cummings, one of the most prominent business men of Becker county, Minnesota, is a gentleman of excellent executive ability, and successfully conducts the intricate affairs of the First National Bank, located in Detroit. He has devoted his career to the management of extensive business interests and he has accumulated a fortune for himself and won an enviable reputation as a citizen. He was born in Niagara county, New York, in 1860.
The father of our subject, J. C. Cummings, was a farmer most of his life. The family were originally from Ireland. The mother of our subject, whose maiden name was Mary Keeler, came from an old northern New York state family.
J. K. Cummings was reared on the home farm and received a good education, attending a business college after completing the common schools. At the age of twenty years he left the parental roof and entered into the jobbing business in Illinois. He was thus engaged there at Chicago, and in St. Paul and Duluth, Minnesota, eighteen years. He went to Detroit, Becker county, Minnesota, in June, 1899, to assume the responsible position of president of the First National Bank. This institution was organized in 1885 with E. G. Holmes, president, and O. D. Brown, cashier, and these gentlemen were succeeded by H. H. Kenkel, president, and W. J. Bettingen, cashier, in 1894. This is now the only national bank of the county, and was the first bank established in the county. It was organized in 1880, under the name of the Bank of Detroit, and was under the same management as when re-organized into a national bank.
Mr. Cummings has successfully conducted the affairs of the institution of which he is the head, and he is a satisfactory and popular official.
Mr. Cummings was married in St. Paul, Minnesota, to Miss Margaret Bettingen, who is of German descent. One son and one daughter have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Cummings, who are named Rosalie and Martin. Mr. Cummings is a gentleman of progressive nature and he keeps abreast of national issues, and is a Republican in political sentiment.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 149-50.
The farm operated by this gentleman is located four miles west of Appleton, and there he enjoys the comforts of rural life and many of its luxuries. He cultivates three hundred and twenty-seven acres of excellent land on sections 24 and 25, of Appleton township on the dividing line between Big Stone and Swift counties. The residence stands on the dividing line.
Mr. Currey was born near Rochester, Minnesota, September 14, 1857, and was a son of William and Bianci (Kingsbury) Currey, pioneers of that part of the state. The parents of our subject were both born in Ohio and the father was a land surveyor. He came to Minnesota when a single man, and married Miss Kingsbury in Zumbrota, Goodhue county. Her father was a hotel keeper in that town. They became the parents of two children, Willie M. and Ella. The daughter married James Greer, and she died in Appleton in 1887, leaving one child named Hattie. The father of our subject died in 1893. The mother is still living and makes her home in Appleton. When a boy the father acted as a spy in the War of 1812-14, and also served as a spy in the Civil war, 1861-65. He was severly wounded in the latter war. The last years of his life were spent on a farm in North Dakota, and he was over ninety years of age when he passed away.
Our subject attended school when a small boy, but received more benefit from one term of private instruction than from all of his attendance at the public schools. At the age of seven years he ran away from his grandfather's home, where he had been placed by his parents, and he lived with a man of the name of Summerwell, where he was employed herding cattle and doing chores. From an infant he had been used to horses. He later returned to his grandfather's home and visited him and an uncle and there had opportunities of riding horses and soon became proficient, and at nine years of age he won in a free for all race. He stayed for several months working with horses for the owner of a race horse and afterward went to Monmouth, Illinois, where he was engaged in riding, driving and foot racing. After a time he returned to Zumbrota, and there found work training and harvesting, but until his marriage, when he settled down to farming, he was engaged with horses, his greatest delight being the training of them. For a number of years he was in Texas, and while there he "broke" some of the wildest bronchos. He settled down to farm life about 1885, and is engaged in farming and stock raising and the buying and trading of horses. He now has eight head of horses and over fifty head of cattle and sixty head of hogs. He follows mixed farming, and has one hundred and sixty acres under cultivation to grain. He has lived an adventurous life and has experienced many hardships incident to pioneer life in this state, and can recount many thrilling tales of experiences in blizzards. He was in the town of Northfield when the Younger Brothers made their famous raid on the bank there. At this time our subject was working in a foundry. Mr. and Mrs. Currey paid a visit to Jasper county. Missouri, in 1896, intending to locate there, but they decided their old home was far better and returned to Minnesota.
Mr. Currey was married in Big Stone county, Minnesota, February 2, 1885, to Nettie Stegall, daughter of William and Catherine (Kapner) Stegall, old time settlers of this state. To Mr. and Mrs. Currey six children have been born, four of whom are now living, namely: Carrie, Charles, Sidney, and William. The children are all young and have the passionate desire for riding which their father had. Mr. Currey is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 444.
Charles L. Cushing, who has for years been considered the leading carpenter and builder of New Paynesville, has of late become known as a successful inventor. Born in Kendallville, Indiana, October 25, 1863, he and a younger brother, Dr. G. M. Cushing, of Chicago, were the only offspring to the union of William and Julia (Ellwood) Cushing, both of whom are now living.
Little is known of the genealogy of the family, and it is enough to say that Mr. Cushing is a Yankee, and when it is said that his parents were both born and reared in the New England states, it cannot be denied that he is a typical American, a true New England Yankee, which is a synonym for inventive genius. The father was also a carpenter and builder with a keen instinct for machinery and a knack for applying new ideas. Of him Mr. Cushing learned his trade; and leaving Indiana in 1883 roamed through the west, stopping in Omaha and the Black Hills, and spending three years in Minneapolis.
Mr. Cushing was in the employ of the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway, being chiefly engaged in the construction of depots. In 1886 he located at Paynesville, and many of the business places and residences of this place are the result of his handiwork. Taking up windmill work as a side line, he next branched out into well digging, with an outfit of his own for that purpose. Experimenting along the line of compressed air, Mr. Cushing has secured after years of patient labor, a patent for supplying water to private houses through an air pressure water works system. This is known as the Cushing's Pneumatic Waterworks, a device which makes it possible for suburban and country homes to enjoy all the luxury of a city water works system.
Mr. Cushing belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Modern Woodmen of America, and is both an earnest worker and a representative member of these noble organizations devoted to the uplifting of humanity and the relief of the suffering.
The marriage of Mr. Cushing and Miss Anna Boylan occurred in 1888, and to their union have come five children, as follows: Cora and Grace, who are twins; Blanche, Horace and Harry.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 598.
Dr. Charles W. Cutler, physician and druggist of Park Rapids, is one of the well known medical men of Hubbard county, Minnesota. He has spent his life in the relief of the ills of mankind, and is a man of wide experience and energetic nature. He is the senoir [sic] member of the Cutler & Blood Drug Company, and is a worthy citizen and successful business men.
Dr. Cutler was born in Iowa, January 14, 1858, and was a son of James B. and Margaret (Beard) Cutler, the former a native of Michigan and the latter of Ohio. He was raised in Iowa until he was twenty years of age and attended the common schools. He graduated from the Cedar Valley Seminary in 1877 and in 1880 graduated from the Rush Medical College in Chicago. He then took up the practice of his profession in Osage, Iowa, and continued there one year, then spent a year in Sioux City, Iowa, and in 1882 located in Park Rapids, Minnesota. He followed the practice of medicine here two years and then took a year's course in Bellevue Hospital Medical College in New York.
After completing his studies in New York, Dr. Cutler returned to Park Rapids and established the Cutler & Vanderpoel Drug Company, which he conducted until 1887, when he disposed of his interests there and removed to Fergus Falls, Minnesota. He built up a good practice in his profession there and met with good success and continued his residence there four years. He became a resident of Park Rapids again in 1891 and followed his profession two years thereafter, when he established the Cutler and Blood Drug Company, in which business he has since continued. The stock is complete and is valued at three thousand dollars, and everything in the drug line is to be found there. Dr. Cutler gives the business his personal attention and supervision, and he has steadily increased his patronage and now receives his full share of the trade of the locality.
Dr. Cutler was married in 1890 to Carrie Flint. Mrs. Cutler was born in Wisconsin, June 10, 1866, and died in Minnesota, February 2, 1891. Dr. Cutler married Pearl Manlove, August 6, 1898. Mrs. Cutler is a native of Minnesota, and was born January 28, 1878. To this union two children have been born, namely: Blair W., who was born in Minnesota, January 22, 1900, and Vida Anne, born April 4, 1901.
Dr. Cutler is actively interested in the welfare of his community, and has served in various local offices of trust. He was one of the first county commissioners of Hubbard county and has been health officer. He is prominent in secret society circles and is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Knights of Pythias, Modern Woodmen of America, and Modern Brotherhood of America. He is a Republican in political sentiment and stands stanchly for the principles of his party. He is a gentleman of the strictest integrity and is progressive and enterprising and his success and good name are well merited.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 180.
There have been 1803 visitors from 5 Nov 2005 to 3 Jul 2011. There were 950 visitors to the "C" page from 29 May 2001 until its split to this page on 5 Nov 2005.
Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN
© 2001 - 2013