George A. Eaton, one of the young and pushing business men of Princeton, Minnesota, was born in Maitland, Nova Scotia, in 1859, and comes of English and Scotch descent. In the old days of the American Revolution the Eatons were Loyalists, three brothers being with the Colonists and three with the English.
R. B. Eaton, the father of George A., was a merchant in Canada all his life, where he married Abigail Smith, daughter of a family long established on Canadian soil. They were the parents of a family of nine children, of which the subject of this article was the third member.
George A. Eaton was reared and educated in his Canadian home, where he remained until he was twenty-two years old, and for some years was employed by his father in the store. Late in the fall of 1879 Mr. Eaton came west, and found employment as a clerk in a store in Montevideo, where he spent two years. A third year was passed in Manitoba, where he worked for the Canadian Pacific Railway, and six months in a visit to his old Nova Scotia home, after which Mr. Eaton returned to Montevideo, Minnesota, where he formed a partnership with William Dunbrock and bought out a grocery store. Mr. Eaton was in business for ten years in Montevideo, and with his partner built up the largest business of the kind in that section of the state. In 1892 Mr. Eaton retired from the store in favor of Mr. Dunbrock, and coming to Princeton, in company with H. H. Whitman, organized the Citizen's State Bank. It was the second bank established in the town and for its president, H. H. Whitman, and Mr. Eaton as cashier. In the fall of 1893 S. S. Peterson was made president of the bank, which has now become one of the very considerable institutions of the Northwest. It did a business of $50,000 in 1893, and in 1900 this had increased to over $200,000. Those now associated in Citizens' Bank also own the most of the stock of the Mille Lacs County Bank at Milaca, the leading bank of that county.
Mr. Eaton was married in 1885, to Miss Agnes Crow, a native of Nova Scotia, and a daughter of parents born in the North of Ireland. She is an artist, and was occupied by that work before her marriage. She was a graduate of the Normal at Truro, Nova Scotia, and gave instruction in art. To this marriage has come one daughter, Avis, who was born at Montevideo.
Mr. Eaton is a Democrat, and has served two terms as mayor of Montevideo, and was in the city council three years. For three years he has been treasurer of Princeton, and was president of the Aitkins County Bank for two years. For some years he served as a director of the Montevideo Windom Institute. Wherever he has been he has never hesitated to take an active part in the affairs of the town and county, and is reckoned today as one of the leading men of Mille Lacs county.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 175-76.
Melker Egbom, one of the old settlers of Lac-qui-parle county, has his home in the township of Providence, with which he has been associated for many years. He was born in the city of Linkpin, Ostergothland, Sweden, in 1841, and there he reached manhood. For a time he worked at farming, but he learned the mason's trade after the solid fashion of the old country, and as his father was a day laborer, he early cared for himself. In 1869 he came to this country, landing in New York, and coming west to Chisago county, Minnesota. Very soon however he went to Duluth, where he preached for a year and a half in the Swedish Lutheran church, and later for seven years he officiated in the Swedish Lutheran church in Renville, in Renville county, and at Sacred Heart. While in Duluth he was married to Miss Wilhelmina Swenson. Of their three children, one child, Hannah, is married and two are dead.
Mr. Egbom came to Lac-qui-parle county in 1879, and took a tree claim in section 4, of the township of Providence. While here he preached for the Swedish people of the neighborhood during his first year. He had a frame house with a hay roof. He witnessed the terrible winter of 1880-81, and rejoiced with all when the long and cruel cold came to an end. He had quite enough of wheat ground for flour in coffee mills, and like devices. Today he owns a handsome and well appointed farm of two hundred and forty acres, all under good cultivation, with fine and ample farm buildings, abundant farm machinery and eleven acres devoted to a grove that is one of the land marks of the country. In 1903 he sold this farm to Sam Hangesag, who is a son-in-law, and has ended his activity as a farmer, passing to a period of rest fully and richly earned. The reverend gentleman is highly esteemed in his own neighborhood, and has been called to serve on the school board, being instrumental in the organization of the first schools of this section. He is a Republican, and an intelligent and well informed citizen.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 476.
Jacob E. Eid, the efficient and popular postmaster of Sundahl, Minnesota, is a prosperous agriculturist of Sundahl township, his residence being located on section 24. He is one of the progressive and consequently esteemed men of his community, and he has built up a home of more than usual comforts. He is a native of Norway, and was born July 22, 1851.
Our subject's father, Erick J. Eid, was a native of Norway, and the mother, whose maiden name was Berte Aarthus, was a native of the same place. Jacob E. Eid left his native land at the age of ten years, and spent three years in Wisconsin, attending the common schools of Dane county, where he located. He then went to Freeborn county, Minnesota, in 1864, and remained there seventeen years, working on a farm. He drove overland to Norman county, Minnesota, with mules, taking three weeks for the trip and after landing there he entered claim to three hundred and twenty acres of land in Sundahl township. He had added to his possessions and is now the owner of seven hundred and twenty acres of land. He cultivates about one hundred and fifty acres, and the balance is devoted to pasture and timber. He has a large barn which accommodates eight horses and about fifty head of cattle and has ample loft room for hay, and the farm is also supplied with machinery of the most approved pattern and make and every arrangement is completed for economically conducting the place. His residence is situated in a fine grove of trees, and a fine orchard of apple trees is a feature of the place.
Our subject was married, in 1874, to Susana O. Hagen, who was born in Norway, June 1, 1855, and is a daughter of Ole Hagen. The following children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Eid: Ole, Erick, Bent, Siri, Albert, Antwin and Marie. All reside at home with the parents. Mr. Eid is one of the broad-minded men of his locality and he has served his community as township treasurer and chairman of the township board, and for the past sixteen years he has been postmaster of Sundahl, and faithfully performs the duties of that office. He is a Republican politically and is firm in his convictions. He and family are members of the Lutheran church, and in the community in which they reside have a host of friends who hold them in high esteem. Mr. Eid made a trip to his native land in 1900, starting from his Minnesota home May 10th of that year. He went to New York by rail and then took passage on the steamer Oceanic for Liverpool. He next went to Stavanger, Norway, by steamer, and to Sunmar by the same source, where he visited friends a short time and proceeded on his way to Trondjen, making the trip from New York the entire distance by steamer. From Trondjen to Christiania he took the rail route and then proceeded to the home of his boyhood, Hadeland, where he visited friends and relatives about three months. He arrived at his starting place in Minnesota in the early part of September, having passed the pleasantest weeks and months of his life.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 245.
John Eid, auditor of Clay county, Minnesota, and one of the most popular and competent officials that has ever held that office, is a member of one of the pioneer families of the Red river valley.
Mr. Eid was born in Becker county, Minnesota, December 8, 1871. He was the third child in a family of nine children born to Christopher and Inger (Garthus) Eid, both residents of Clay county. They came to America and settled in Becker county among its earliest pioneers.
Our subject was reared on a farm and received his education in the country schools and the schools of Moorhead, Minnesota, taking a course at the normal school and attended a term at Concordia College. He was given a position in the Bank of Hawley, where for six years he served in the capacity of bookkeeper and assistant cashier. He opened up a general merchandise business at Hawley under the firm name of Peterson, Eid & Company, in which business he still retains an interest. In 1900 he was elected auditor of Clay county, and his able administration of the affairs of that department of county government has demonstrated the wisdom of the people's choice.
Mr. Eid was married, in 1896, to Miss Emma Tuft. To Mr. and Mrs. Eid two children have been born, namely: Clarence and Melvin. Mr. Eid has wielded much influence in pubic affairs and has been prominent in all movements in the interests of his county. He is respected as a citizen, honored as an official and regarded as a substantial business man.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 212.
John K. Ellefson, who has charge of the paternal estate in Riverside township, Lac parle county, is one of the independent and reliable young men of this section of the state. He has been tested by serious cares and weighty responsibilities, and has not been found lacking in those elements in his nature that almost guarantee success and honor in life.
Mr. Ellefson was born on the farm where he is now living in 1871, and his father, who was born in Norway, came to this country in 1867 settling in Lac parle county in the same year, when he died in 1894. Here young John K. was reared to manhood and made acquainted with hard work, which was indeed no stranger to boys on the frontier. Such education as the schools of that day afforded was given him, and in 1894, consequent upon the death of the father, as the oldest son, he was called upon to run the farm, and protect the family interests. This he did, and for nine years he has carried it on to the eminent satisfaction of all concerned. The farm which belongs to the family, consists of two hundred and forty acres, and has fine buildings. It is regarded as one of the best estates in this part of the county.
Mr. Ellefson is an independent voter, and takes an active part in town affairs. He has been chairman of the town board and has acted as town assessor. He spends his time on his farm, and is an intelligent and public-spirited citizen, anxious to do his whole duty and be a true American.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 453.
Robert Engleman, who is extensively engaged in farming in Akron township, is one of the pioneer settlers of Big Stone county. He has a wide acquaintance and is universally respected and esteemed.
Mr. Engleman was born in Schlessen, Germany, in 1853. His father, Charles Engleman, was a hotel keeper in Germany. Of a family of eight children our subject was the youngest. He was reared in his native land and at an early age began to work and when fifteen years old he started for himself. He learned the carpenter's and cabinet maker's trade, serving an apprenticeship of four years. At the age of twenty-four years he decided to come to America and in 1877 he landed in New York city. He came direct to McLeod county, Minnesota, where he remained two and a half years and in 1880 came to Big Stone county, locating at Odessa, where he followed his trade during 1881 and '82. In 1880 he took a pre-emption claim in Lac-qui-parle county, and built a shanty thereon and proved up his claim. He engaged in the furniture business in Odessa in 1884 and continued in this business a year and a half and then conducted a hotel and a wood and coal business. He spent eight years as a business man of Odessa. In 1893 he settled on his present farm in section 32 of Akron township. This farm was partially improved, but he has added valuable improvements thereon and now has one of the valuable estates of the county. In 1896 his crop was blown out by a heavy wind, and he replanted the ground to corn and raised one of the best crops he has ever raised on the place. He has remodeled the buildings and has erected a substantial and commodious barn, 36 by 82 feet and a stone basement eight feet high. He has a fine grove on the place. He owns four hundred and forty acres of land, of which about three hundred acres is cultivated and the rest is pasture and hay land. He has surrounded himself with the comforts of fife and derives a good income from his farm.
Mr. Engleman was married in Odessa, Minnesota, to Miss Amelia Ponto, who was born in Posen, Germany. Four children have been born of this union, namely: Ida, Hattie, Herman and Ella. Mr. Engleman has served as school clerk and is prominent in local affairs.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 636.
Judge Gilbert Engleson, who has been identified with the agricultural interests of Wilkin county, Minnesota, for many years, is the owner of a valuable estate in Tanberg township. He has aided materially in the upbuilding of the commercial and social interests of that region and enjoys a deservedly high standing as a citizen.
Judge Engleson was born near Christiana, in the southern part of Norway, in 1840. His father, Engle Engleson, was a farmer by occupation and he spent the last years of his life on the home farm of our subject. The family came to America in 1867, and the father settled in Fillmore county, Minnesota. Our subject was a cheese maker for seven years in his native land and he accompanied his parents to America and worked near Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and was engaged in the pineries and saw mills. He came to Wilkin county in 1872 and took a homestead in section 34 of Tanberg township. He built a log cabin and had some means with which to begin his farming. The first three crops were lost on account of grasshoppers, and the first crop of any amount was raised about 1876. Mr. Engleson worked for others to earn a living and used oxen about five years. He hauled his first wheat to Glyndon, Clay county. During two seasons hail destroyed the crops almost totally and he got but seed and flour for his own use from the yield. He is now the owner of two hundred and forty acres of land of which one hundred and seventy-five acres is under cultivation and the rest is pasture and meadow. He engages in grain and stock raising and has met with marked success as an agriculturist. He has built up a good home, and enjoys all the comforts of life. He is thoroughly versed in farming and by systematic labors and good management has acquired his valuable estate.
Judge Engleson was married in Wisconsin in 1872 to Miss Annie Amonson, a native of Norway. Of this marriage ten children have been born, namely: Engvold, Jorden, Cora, Enga, Olaf, Adolph, Hannah, Gena, Eda and Matilda. Judge Engleson is a leader in the public affairs of his township and county and has held various township and school offices. He was the first assessor of three townships, prior to their separate organizations and served in this capacity for six years. He has been county commissioner of the third district for two terms and probate judge for three terms. He is a stanch Republican politically. He has done his full share as an old settler toward the development of that region, and his success and high station are well merited.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 740.
Earnst English, a representative farmer of Wilkin county, Minnesota, residing in Akron township, is one of the truly self-made men of his locality. He began when a young boy to make his own way, and his experiences and self training have placed him among the substantial citizens of his county. He has followed farming exclusively and is well versed in the art and has prospered to a marked degree and is now the owner of a valuable property. He has a wide circle of acquaintances and is universally esteemed and respected.
Mr. English was born in Germany in 1855. His father, Andria English, folllowed farming in Germany. He died many years ago. Our subject was reared in his native land and there received the advantages of a common school education. He began working at farm labor at the age of fifteen years and in 1888 decided to try his fortunes in the new world. He landed at New York city and from thence came direct to Wilkin county, Minnesota. He took a homestead farm and built a claim shanty 12 by 14 feet and began permanent residence on his farm. He had oxen for his first farm work and broke some of his land with oxen at his plow. He worked persistently and steadily improved his farm, and now has one hundred and ten acres of land, all of which he has placed under high cultivation. He has erected good buildings and has built up a home of great comfort, and is one of the substantial agriculturists of Akron township.
Mr. English was married in 1883 to Miss Tena Max, who was born in Germany in 1862. Mr. and Mrs. English are the parents of five children, namely: Emma, Rudolph, Clara, Eddie, and Edna. The oldest two children were born in Germany and the other children were born in Wilkin county, Minnesota. Mr. English is an intelligent and enterprising citizen and he keeps pace with the times and lends his influence for good government. He is identified with the Republican party politically.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 645.
Dr. Hans J Englund, one of the most respected and capable physicians of Isanti county, has his home in Cambridge, where his manly qualities as well as professional abilities have won for him a wide circle of admiring friends and patrons. He is one of the leading men of the community, and exerts a good influence wherever he is called. His portrait, upon another page of this work, will add to its value in the eyes of his many friends.
Dr. Englund was born on a farm in Sweden, December 7, 1856, and comes of an old and honorable Swedish family. His father, who was born and reared a farmer, came to this country in 1866, to settle in Minnesota, where he might till the soil under better conditions for men who labor than prevailed in the old country. In July of that year he located in Isanti county, where he made a home for his family. This was wild timber land, but the Englunds, assisted by two relatives who had come into the county with them, soon opened the woods and built a home they occupied some years in common. The rising village of Cambridge was not far away.
Dr. Englund, who was ten years old at the time his parents moved to the United States, had already attended the Swedish schools at home, and he was quick to profit from whatever advantage there was to be secured from the schools of his new home. His time was demanded at home, and he could not do entirely as he wished, as a home was being created in the wilderness. When he became a young man he spent five winters in the lumbering camps of Kanabec county, putting in the successive summers on his father's farm. After he had attained his majority, Dr. Englund farmed in Isanti county several years before attending medical school, buying land in Cambridge township, close by the village of that name, where his home has long been established, and there he farmed and went through various pioneer experiences.
In the fall of 1886, Dr. Englund, having made a somewhat thorough and extensive preparation, entered Bennett Medical College at Chicago, from which he was graduated in 1888, with the degree of M. D. The same year he opened an office at Cambridge, where he almost immediately entered upon a remunerative practice. For thirteen years he has practiced his profession in this city with most satisfactory results.
Dr. Englund was married July 1, 1891, to Miss Lizzie Bergman. She was born at Cambridge, and is a daughter of Ole Bergman, a farmer. He was born in Sweden and came to this country in 1866, being among the earliest pioneers of Isanti county, and contributing much to the growth and prosperity of that section of the state. Dr. and, Mrs. Englund have four children: Effie E., who is dead; Minerva M.; Reuben W.; and Victor L., all of whom were born in Cambridge.
Dr. Englund took a course at Rush College, in Chicago, from which he was graduated in 1895. He resumed his practice in Cambridge, which has steadily grown on his hands to the present time. He is the county physician, and has served on the health board many years. When the elder Englund died, October 6, 1900, the Doctor bought a part of the paternal estate, his brother-in-law securing the other part, and now owns a fine and well-improved farm of one hundred and four acres. He is substantially interested in the Cambridge Milling Company, and is an honored member of the Swedish Lutheran church.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 272-75.
J. L. Erickson, one of the most prominent business men of Big Stone county, Minnesota, is a gentleman of marked ability. He has various financial interests in that region and is a resident of Clinton, where he is engaged in the banking and real estate business. He is one of the prominent and public-spirited men of his county and through his many years residence there he has always been found standing on the side of right and justice and has served his community with faithfulness, lending every influence in his power for the upbuilding of his home county and locality.
Mr. Erickson is a native of Sweden and was born in Dalsland in 1858. His father, Olaf Erickson, was also a native of Sweden. He came to America in 1865 and settled in Goodhue county, Minnesota, when he followed the carpenter's trade. In 1897 he moved to Clinton, Big Stone county and has since been engaged in the flour and feed business in that thriving town.
J. L. Erickson was reared in Goodhue county, Minnesota, and there received the advantages of a common school education. He began work in a hardware store at the age of fourteen years and was thus employed for six years, when he established himself in the furniture business. He continued this two years and then entered into the lumber business at Cannon Falls, Minnesota, and was proprietor there for five years. He came to Big Stone county in 1888 and started in the lumber and general merchandise business. He sold his interests in the business in 1892 and entered into the banking and real estate business. He now owns one thousand acres of land in Big Stone county and considerable other real estate and is connected with the Farmers and Merchants National Bank. He has built up his extensive business by his own efforts and his excellent business judgment and is one of the substantial business men of that part of the state. While engaged in business in Cannon Falls he sustained a loss of property valued at $1,000 by fire.
Mr. Erickson was married in 1885 to Miss Carrie Swanson. Mrs. Erickson was born in Sweden in 1864 and came to America in 1879. Her father was a farmer in Sweden and his death occurred when Mrs. Erickson was quite young. Mr. and Mrs. Erickson are the parents of three daughters, namely: Selma, born June 24, 1886; Lillie, born November 22, 1891; and Stella, born February 20, 1896. All were born in Minnesota. Mr. Erickson takes a keen interest in all local public affairs and has served as president of the village for four years and as a member of the village board for ten years. He has been township treasurer for six years, and has gained the confidence of the entire community. In political sentiment he is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 718.
John H. Erickson, probably one of the best known business men of Big Stone county, Minnesota, is engaged in the banking and real estate business in Clinton. He is a man of excellent business ability and has gained a high station as a business man and citizen by his energetic labors and strict integrity.
Mr. Erickson was born in Sweden, January 28, 1866. His father, Olaf Erickson, is a resident of Clinton, Minnesota, and a brief review of his life will be found elsewhere.
At the age of three years our subject came to America with his parents. The family landed in New York City and came direct to Goodhue county, Minnesota, where our subject was reared and educated, attending the common schools. He started for himself at the age of fifteen years. While attending school at the age of eleven years he also worked in a drug store. When fifteen years of age he entered a hardware store as clerk and followed this employment for four years. He then took a position as bookkeeper for a lumber company at Cannon Falls, Minnesota, and remained there for two years. In 1886 he came to Big Stone county and established himself in the lumber business. In 1889 he and his brother engaged in the general merchandise business which they conducted until 1892, when they disposed of their business interests and began the banking and real estate business. They have prospered in this line to a marked degree and now own about eight hundred acres of farm land. They purchased and platted the town site of Clinton in 1886 and are still owners of considerable real estate in this thriving town.
John H. Erickson was married in 1896 to Miss Rudolph H. Lee. Mrs. Erickson was born in Madison, Wisconsin, in 1869. She was reared there and received a good common school education and in 1887 came to Minneapolis to accept a position in a large department store. After clerking there for some time she learned the dressmaking trade and started in this business in Minneapolis. She was a student of Caton Business College of that city for two terms. Mr. and Mrs. Erickson are the parents of one child, Cyrus O. H., who was born in Clinton, Big Stone county, Minnesota, March 8, 1898. Mr. Erickson is one of the deservedly popular men of his home town and locality. He is public-spirited and progressive and has the interests of his community at heart. He has served a number of terms as village treasurer and also as school treasurer several terms, and is treasurer for the Modern Woodmen Lodge at Clinton. He is a Republican in political sentiment and is a man of broad mind and firm convictions and stands firmly for the principles of his party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 721-22.
Olaf Erickson, one of the old settlers of Big Stone county, now residing in Clinton, is a prominent business man of that thriving town. He is engaged in the flour and feed business and is widely known and universally esteemed.
Mr. Erickson was born in Dalsland, Sweden, January 29, 1833. There were no schools there at that time and he received his education in his own home. He was married in Sweden in 1858 to Stina Andersdatter. He came to America with his family in 1868 and took a tree claim in Big Stone county, and in 1898 moved to Clinton, in the same county, where he has since resided. He learned the carpenter's trade when a young man and has followed the same almost continuously and many of the public buildings, including churches and schools are his handiwork. During 1878-80 he was instrumental in bringing many settlers to this part of the country.
Mr. and Mrs. Erickson are the parents of the following children: John Albert Leonard, born November 1, 1859; Emma Christina, born August 15, 1861, married G. H. Englund, November 27, 1884, moved to Big Stone in 1887; Andrew John, born November 10, 1863, died November 28, 1888; John Halsten, born January 28, 1866, sketch of life appears elsewhere; John Alfrid, born October 2, 1870, died November 7, 1880; Anna Melvina, born January 3, 1874, died November 14, 1880.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 721.
Eric Ericson, one of the distinguished citizens of Olivia, Minnesota, has in his lifetime taken many parts in the drama of life and has rendered all the parts which have fallen to him manfully and well. As a soldier in the war for the Union he was valiant and faithful, and did a soldier's duty on many a bloody field of battle. As a teacher in the public schools he was earnest and conscientious, and ever strove to train the young aright. As a farmer he was industrious, and his acres showed the touch of a master hand. As an incumbent of public position he has done his full duty by the people, and measured by whatever standard you please, Eric Ericson meets the tests as an honorable and upright American citizen.
Eric Ericson was born in Jefferson county, Wisconsin, in 1844, and was the son of a farmer, who came from Norway in 1843. He was reared on what was then the frontier, and while he had the burden of much hard work laid on him, he had the advantage of a boyhood and youth spent in the fairest part of the northwest. His schooling was secured at the public schools, and be finished at the high school with a very practical and thorough education, so that he was able to begin teaching when only twenty years of age. For eight years he taught in Wisconsin, where he also followed farming.
Mr. Ericson was enlisted as a soldier of the Union in March, 1864, becoming a member of the Thirty-first Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and immediately reported for duty to his regiment, a part of the army of the Potomac. There he saw much hard service, and was in the battle of Cold Harbor and in the campaign around Petersburg and Richmond. He was always at the front, never in the hospital, and served one year, for ten months being under fire almost constantly. He was often within talking distance of the enemy, and not infrequently would trade and barter the notions that soldiers value with the pickets in front.
In 1865 Mr. Ericson received his discharge, and resumed teaching and farming in Wisconsin. In 1871 Mr. Ericson came west to Renville county, where he settled on a homestead farm in Palmyra township. New Ulm was his nearest market town, and for two years his home a sod shanty. Troubles and privations came upon him; the grasshoppers devoured his crops, but he had a good wife, whom he married in 1867, and together they struggled on, and never gave up. She was Julia Iverson, when a girl, and was born in Norway. They now have a family of five children: Spencer, who is in the bank at Raymond; Lewellyn; Alice; Edward; and Clair, all of whom were born in Minnesota except the oldest.
Mr. Ericson was elected county auditor in the fall of 1872, and was twice re-elected to that position. He was in the railway mail service from 1878 to 1883, being elected county superintendent in the fall of 1883, in which position he has made himself a great name. He held that position until 1890, when he was left off the ticket a term; he was then elected for two years; in 1896 he was again called to that responsible position, which he has held almost constantly to the present time.
As might be imagined from the foregoing outline of his history, Mr. Ericson is a public-spirited and active citizen, taking a lively interest in everything that conserves the public good. He affiliates with the Republican party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 807.
There were 1396 visitors from 12 May 2006 to 4 Jul 2011. Visitor stats were lost for 5 Nov 2005 to 12 May 2006 because of a broken counter. There were 587 visitors from 29 May 2001 to 5 Nov 2005.
Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN