Persistent industry has placed this gentleman among the prosperous agriculturists of Becker county. He is one of the earliest settlers of Audubon township, and his home in section 9 has been gained only by the strictest economy and excellent management. The hardships which have fallen to the lot of Mr. Fagerlie would have heartily discouraged one of less persistent nature, but have only tended to make him more determined and spurred him to stronger action. With undaunted courage he has faced misfortunes, suffering and hardships incident to the life of a pioneer of the northwest, and he has remained to enjoy a fitting reward for his labors. He is now the owner of a fine property, and has the highest esteem of all with whom he has to do.
Mr. Fagerlie was born on a farm in Guldbransdalen, Norway, in 1837. His father, Ole Jacobson, was a farmer by occupation and spent his life in Norway. The mother of our subject, Rangnhild (Guldbransdatter) Jacobson, was born and raised on a farm in Norway and died there. Of a family of eight children our subject was the first born, and he remained on the home farm until he was about eighteen years of age, when he left home, but was soon called to the old homestead by the death of his father, and he then assumed charge of the farm and aided in the support of the family. He remained two years and then attended high school one year, receiving a liberal education. He followed the profession of teaching eight years near his home in Norway, and later was employed in railroad work three years in that country. He emigrated to America in 1870, and landed at Quebec, from which point he at once proceeded to Fillmore county, Minnesota, where he remained a short time, and June 15, 1871, he went to Becker county, Minnesota. He entered a homestead claim to land in section 34, of Audubon township, driving to his new location in a covered wagon with a team borrowed from his cousin. He still owed over a hundred dollars on his passage to America, and he had no means with which to begin the development of his farm. He built a log house without windows, and he later chopped basswood for lumber to make door and window frames, and used oak pegs for nails, and his stove was of stones plastered with clay. To add to the discouragements of the situation his wife was ill, and on one occasion the improvised stove caused fire to break out near the roof, and had it not been for timely work himself and family would have been homeless in the snow. He supported his family by working at Oak Lake, and in the spring of 1872 began to clear the land for cultivation. The first clearing was done with a knife and was a space large enough on which to erect his shanty, the land being covered with underbrush. After about two years the wife died and left two small children to the care of the father. He then hired out at farm labor and left the children with friends, and in 1878 began clerking in Audubon, where he remained three years. He later purchased his present farm in section 9, of Audubon township, and in 1882 moved with his family to the farm, and built a small house, and with a team of mules began developing the place. After one year he hired a man to conduct the farm and he began clerking again in Audubon, where he remained about three years, making the trip to his farm each evening. He has operated the farm since 1885, and has met with most pleasing results, and is now the owner of two hundred and forty-four acres of land, and cultivates about eighty acres annually. He has a set of good farm buildings, all necessary machinery and plenty of fruits and other valuable improvements on the place, and has found grain-raising profitable.
Mr. Fagerlie was married, in 1867, to Miss Enga Marie Engebretson. Mrs. Fagerlie died in 1873, leaving two children, named Ole and Mena. Mr. Fagerlie married Miss Engeborg Oleson in 1881. Mrs. Fagerlie was born in Guldbransdalen, Norway, in 1859, and was a daughter of Ole Frederickson, who was a farmer of that country, and a soldier in the army in 1864. Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Fagerlie, who are as follows: Oscar, born in 1883; Alfred, born in 1884; Rudolph, born in 1887; Clara Matea, born in 1890; George Adolph, born in 1892; Casper Walmar, born in 1895; Joseph, born in 1897; and Viola, born in 1900. Mr. Fagerlie is prominent in local affairs and has served as township assessor for the past twenty-three year, and also as a member of the board of supervisors. He assisted in the organization of the township and has taken an active part in the movements of the Republican party politically.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 293-94.
Among the rapidly rising young men of Itasca county, Minnesota, the present county auditor, Edward J. Farrell, takes a foremost rank. He has resided in Grand Rapids comparatively few years, but has gained the confidence and esteem of his associates, and is a man of wide influence.
Mr. Farrell was born in Waterford, Ireland, July 26, 1867. His father, Patrick Farrell, was a farmer by occupation throughout his life. He brought his family to America in 1868. The mother of our subject was also a native of Ireland. She died at Long Meadow, Connecticut, about 1869. Her death caused the separation of the family, and our subject was raised later by a stepmother. He attended the public schools of Connecticut and remained on his father's farm until 1890, assisting with the operation of the same. He then went to West Superior, Wisconsin, where he remained until 1895, and clerked in a leading hotel in the town from 1890 to December, 1894. In January, 1895, he went to Grand Rapids, Minnesota, where he was manager of the Gladstone Hotel until October, 1898. In the fall of that year he was elected county auditor. His popularity and the faithful discharge of his duties is best attested by the fact that in 1900 he received the nomination for the same office on the Democratic ticket, and was endorsed by the Republican party and re-elected without opposition. He is the "right man in the right place," and his friends are only limited by his acquaintance.
Mr. Farrell was married, in 1892, to Miss Anna Conlan. Mrs. Farrell was born at Troy, New York, and was of Irish descent. Her father, James Conlan, was a mechanic by trade. Mr. and Mrs. Farrell are the parents of three children, named as follows: Marie, born at West Superior; Edward J. and Robert Stanley, both born at Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Mr. Farrell is very prominent in secret society circles, and is a member of the following fraternal societies: Knights of Pythias, Order of Elks, Knights of the Maccabees, Ancient Order of United Workmen, and Modern Woodmen of America. He is a stanch Democrat and since his residence in Itasca county has taken much interest in state and county affairs.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 162-63.
Axel Felt is a prominent miller of the village of Cyrus, and is known throughout Pope county as one of its worthy and successful citizens, a man who has won his present enviable business and personal standing by industry, thrift and character. His is a name rightfully appearing in any story of the successful business men of this section of Minnesota.
In 1896 the milling interests of the village of Cyrus, Pope county, was opened up by John O. Estenson, who erected the first mill, which is now owned by the Cyrus Milling company. In 1898 P. O. Kron obtained possession of the business, and in 1903 he disposed of his interests to A. Felt & A. Hegland, the present proprietors.
The mill is a three-story frame structure, fitted in modern manner, with full Wolf system of the latest improved machinery. Special machinery has been installed for grinding rye, graham, buckwheat and cornmeal. Power is furnished by a seventy-horse-power Twin City Corliss engine. Their one brand of straight grade flour, the "Harvest Queen flour," has deservedly become popular throughout the extensive tributary district.
In addition to the milling business the Cyrus Milling Company handles wood, and plans for a large increase in that line. This energetic firm is able to carry on their business at a minimum expense as Mr. Hegland is a practical engineer, and combines with mechanical genius a shrewd business sense. The two partners are in hearty co-operation with the extension of their business as the one thing to be held continually in view. Mr. Felt is a practical miller with fifteen years' experience behind him. He was born in Sweden, June 3, 1873, and was the second member of a family of ten children, five sons and five daughters, born to Anders and Emma (Israelson) Faltstrom, both of whom are still living in the old country.
As will be noted, the family name-"Faltstrom"-has become much changed in its contraction to "Felt," which he adopted. Mr. Felt was apprenticed to his uncle, a miller in the old country, from whom he received the best possible training in his calling.
Mr. Felt arrived at Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, in 1893, where for a time he found employment working on the locks. The following year he secured a position in a flouring mill at that point; and after six months service was put in charge of a one-hundred-and-twenty-five-barrel output. In 1895 he came to Minnesota, still following his trade, and in 1897 was made head miller at Cyrus, and here he has since been connected. From the age of thirteen years he has taken care of himself, and his marked success in life is due to his individual effort.
Mr. Felt is a Republican in his political associations, and in religious affairs is a Lutheran. In 1902 he married Miss Anna Kron, and they have one child, Beda.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 783-84.
Theodore Fibranz, who, through his industrious efforts and honest dealings, has acquired a valuable property in Arthur township, is one of the old settlers of Traverse county. He is a man of enterprise and strict integrity and has gained the confidence and esteem of his associates.
Mr. Fibranz was born in Germany, in 1861. His father, Fred Fibranz, was of German birth and followed farming in his native land. Our subject was reared in Germany and attended the common schools there. In 1881 he came to America, landing in New York. He worked there for a year and then went to Chicago, where he was employed for five years. He came to Traverse county, Minnesota, in 1887, and bought his present farm. He has continued the improvement of the place and now owns three hundred and twenty acres of land, all under cultivation and improved with a complete set of good farm buildings. He has all necessary farm machinery and a windmill and engages successfully in diversified farming. His land is made to yield abundantly and the wheat crop in 1895 averaged twenty-five bushels per acre. Mr. Fibranz has recently rented the farm and moved to Beardsley, where he expects to spend his declining years.
Mr. Fibranz was married in 1885 to Miss Augusta Wanasa, who was born in Germany in 1862. Mrs. Fibranz came to America in 1884, landing in New York City. Her father was a farmer by occupation and lived in Germany. To Mr. and Mrs. Fibranz two children have been born, namely: Lena and Paul, both of whom were born in Traverse county, Minnesota. Mr. Fibranz is recognized as one of the leading citizens of Arthur township and is a gentleman of active public spirit. He has served as a member of the board of supervisors and as school treasurer. He is an independent voter and lends his influence for good government, local and national.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 742.
Anders E. Flink, classed among the younger members of the farming community of Branch township, is an enterprising and energetic, and consequently prosperous, agriculturist, and has a pleasant home in sections 4 and 5.
Mr. Flink was born in Smoland, Sweden, in 1867. His father was a farmer by occupation, and spent his life in Sweden. The grandfather was a soldier in the Swedish army, and served in the Franco-German war 1813 and 1814; the great-grandfather was first lieutenant of Jonkoping's regiment.
Of a family of eight children, six of whom are still living, Anders E. was the eldest. He was reared in his native land, and came to America in 1888, landing at New York city. He went direct to North Branch and found employment at farm labor, and also worked five winters in the lumber woods. He purchased land in 1894 in Lent township, and still owns a portion of this tract. He purchased his present home farm in sections 4 and 5 of Branch township, consisting of sixty acres in 1899. He now farms over eighty acres and raises grain, corn and potatoes. He has plenty of machinery and stock and altogether has a well improved and well equipped estate. His farm labors have identified him with the development of that part of the county, and he may feel justly proud of his success since locating in Chisago county.
Mr. Flink is a Republican in political faith. He is a man of broad mind, and keeps abreast of the times in public affairs, lending his influence for the best government, and holding firmly to his convictions.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 352.
Albert Flint, a well known and successful farmer of section 20, in Leaf Valley township, is one of the worthy citizens of Douglas county.
Mr. Flint was born in Jo Daviess county, Illinois, June 7, 1852, and was a son of Major and Eliza (Sartwell) Flint, the former a native of Canada, and the latter of New Hampshire. The father, now deceased, was born February 11, 1815, near Montreal, Canada, and removed with his parents to Vermont when he was a child. He was reared and educated in the Green Mountain state and as his father was a farmer he assisted when a boy and youth in the farm work, and thus received practical instruction and knowledge of this business, and chose agriculture as his future occupation. When a young man he left his home in Vermont and traveled to Illinois, and for a time resided near Rockford, and later removed to Galena. In 1858 he went to Minnesota and pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres of land in Fillmore county, which he farmed successfully for nine years. He sold his farm in 1867 and removed to Douglas county, in which year he bought a homestead claim of one hundred and sixty acres in sections 21 and 22, in Leaf Valley township, and became one of the early settlers of that locality. During the same year he built a good log house upon the place, which subsequently formed part of a modern and substantial residence, which was erected in 1887. He followed diversified farming and erected good barns and other buildings for the protection of his grain and stock. At one time he was engaged extensively in sheep culture, and was considered one of the most successful and progressive agriculturists of his township. He was married at Galena, Illinois, December 30, 1848, to Eliza Sartwell, daughter of Royal and Elvira (Evans) Sartwell, both of whom were natives of New Hampshire, and were of English-Irish descent. Major Flint and wife became the parents of seven children, five of whom are now living, and are as follows: Jane, now Mrs. Lorenzo Peck, residing on the home farm and managing the same for the mother; Albert, our subject; Ellen, wife of E. L. Thompson, a farmer of Roseau county, Minnesota; Elvira, engaged in teaching and resides with her mother in Alexandria; Frank E., a merchant at Garfield, Douglas county. Major Flint died June 6, 1896, and his death was deeply mourned by his relatives and many friends. The widow now makes her home in Alexandria.
Albert Flint received his education in the public schools of Fillmore county, Minnesota, and as soon as he was able to work assisted on his father's farm. He followed farming with his father and resided at home until he was thirty-three years of age, and in 1885 bought an improved farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 20 and section 29 in Leaf Valley township. It had upon it a small dwelling house, which he supplanted with a much better building in 1897. He had previously erected a barn, granary, and other buildings necessary for conducting a farm, and he has met with success in diversified farming. He has some stock and a good drove of hogs, and keeps sufficient number of horses for farm use. He has about ninety-five acres under cultivation, and raises a good crop of wheat, oats, corn, etc., annually. The farm is situated about two miles west of Spring lake on the prairie, and the residence and other buildings are surrounded by groves of shade trees. When he was a boy Mr. Flint witnessed the planting of these trees by the original owner of the place. Mr. Flint is an independent voter and lends his influence for good government, local and national.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 306.
Charles H. Flynn, who operates the homestead farm in Browns Valley township, is one of the prominent young farmers of Big Stone county. He and his sister, Rose, reside on the home farm, she presiding over the domestic affairs and he conducting the farming operations. They have a pleasant home and are representatives of one of the oldest resident families of the county.
Charles H. Flynn was born on a farm in Meeker county, Minnesota, in 1870. His father, Patrick Flynn, was born in county Armagh, Ireland, and came to America when a young man, and was married in America. He was a farmer by occupation. The mother of our subject was a native of county Tyrone, Ireland. The father died in 1887 and the mother in 1889. To this worthy couple seven children were born, who are as follows: Mary, now married; Chris, a general merchant; Katherine, now residing at home, has taught several terms of school in that district; Charles H., our subject, attended Business College at Sauk Center and taught two years in the Business College; Rose, who presides over the household duties with true womanly grace, was a student of the State University at Minneapolis, taking a course in literature in that institution and becoming proficient in primary work. She is a graduate of the Convent at Graceville; Thomas, a graduate of Katon Business College of Minneapolis, now engaged in clerking in Beardsley; and Hannah, a graduate of St. Cloud Normal, and at present teaching in the third and fourth grades of the Eveleth high school.
Charles H. Flynn for the past two years has been in charge of the homestead farm, the estate comprising one thousand acres. This he conducts profitably and systematically and is one of the most progressive farmers of that locality. He owns land in North Dakota also. He deals in stock to considerable extent and is a wide-awake farmer and has prospered. The family located on this farm in section 21, township 124, range 48, in 1880, and the father built a claim shanty in which they lived for six weeks. All supplies and lumber were hauled from Ortonville or Morris. They spent the winter of 1880-81 in Big Stone county and fuel became scarce and they had a hard time to weather the winter. The first crop of the farm was gathered in 1880 and yielded about eight hundred bushels from thirty acres and in 1881 the yield was one thousand six hundred bushels. The father had broken the land as early as 1879. The best wheat crop has averaged thirty-two bushels per acre, and the crop has never been a total loss, although hail has destroyed partial crops.
Mr. Flynn is one of the leading men of his township and takes an active and commendable interest in public affairs. He has served as township assessor, and is identified with the Republican party, politically.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 357-58.
James J. Flynn, an influential business man of Rush City, Minnesota, is well known throughout Chisago county and enjoys the esteem and respect of his associates.
Mr. Flynn was born in Chisago county, Minnesota, January 9, 1857, on a farm adjoining the village of Rush City. This tract is a part of the city at present. He was reared and educated in his native county and at the age of seventeen years left home and spent nine years in the lumber woods near Ashland, Bayfield, and Washburn. He was also on the log drives and for two years was with the surveying crew, and assisted in the survey of the railroad from Hudson to New Richmond, thence to Cumberland, Shell Lake and Bayfield, Wisconsin. He returned to Rush City in 1883 and was engaged in the cattle business two years. He established a livery business in 1885 and this enterprise has proved most successful and the building now occupied is 90 by 50 feet. Mr. Flynn handles considerable wild and improved lands and is the owner of farm lands in different parts of Pine, Isanti, and Chisago counties.
Mr. Flynn was married February 2, 1899, to Miss Magdalena Bier. Mrs. Flynn was born in Chisago county, and is of German descent. Her father, John Bier, was one of the old settlers of Chisago county, and is a farmer by occupation. Mr. and Mrs. Flynn are the parents of two children, Edward, who was born December 21, 1901, and Edward A., born in December, 1902. Mr. Flynn is one of the leading citizens of his community and is always awake to the upbuilding of the best interests. He served as mayor of Rush City for three terms, and has also been assessor and town treasurer. He was elected treasurer of the Chisago County Agricultural Society in 1896 and now fills that office. He has taken an active and leading part in the affairs of the society for several years and was one to further the movement toward having the headquarters of the society moved to Rush City. He is a stanch Democrat and is a member of the legislative committee of that party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 543.
Patrick H. Flynn, whose fine farm within the limits of Rush City, Minnesota, evidences the thrift and prosperity enjoyed by the owner, is classed among the pioneer settlers of Chisago county. Mr. Flynn has been identified with the commercial and social interests of that locality for half a century, and has witnessed a wonderful transformation there and been a potent factor in bringing about the present prosperity enjoyed.
Our subject was born in Ireland in 1830. His father, Charles Flynn, was a blacksmith by trade and he and his family came to America in 1831, and settled in Quebec, Canada. There our subject was reared and he remained there until he was eighteen years of age, when he went to Michigan and spent four years in the lumber woods. He went to Minnesota in 1852, and remained at Taylor's Falls the first year, after which he resided in Milwaukee four years and was in the schools of that city during the time. He located on what is now a portion of Rush City in 1857, and at that time there was nothing there but timber. He engaged in trading with the Indians for two years, and then followed driving cattle from Minnesota to Michigan for two years, and traveled through Wisconsin on horseback. The first prospects of a town at Rush City became apparent in 1872, and Mr. Flynn conducted the first mercantile establishment of the town. He continued in business about five years, and was also in the livery business. He continued in the latter business until about 1888, when he turned this over to his son, James J., and since that date he has given his entire attention to his farm. He is the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of valuable land, and has gathered about him all the comforts of farm life and also has the conveniences of town life. He engages in grain raising successfully and has a good income from his farm.
Mr. Flynn was married in 1855 to Miss Margaret Kelly, who was born in Chicago. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Flynn, who are as follows: James J.; Mary; Charles, who is engaged is the brewing business in Washburn, Wisconsin; and Julia.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 551.
Peter Flynn, one of the enterprising and prosperous merchants of Tintah, Minnesota, is an old settler of Traverse county, and during his residence there has gained a host of friends and is held in the highest esteem by all.
Mr. Flynn was born in Ireland in 1837. He is the eldest of a family of seven children and he was reared and educated in his native land. He followed farming in Ireland and resided there until 1880, and then came to America, arriving in Jersey City, May 18. He worked in that city until September 6 and then came to Minnesota and during the same fall located on a homestead claim in Tintah township. He worked on the Great Northern Railroad to earn a living and was employed as a section hand. He was thus engaged for nearly three years. His family joined him in America June 6, 1882, and lived for a short time in Tintah. He had a claim shanty on his homestead and this he enlarged. The first year on his farm he had a garden dug up with a spade and the second season he sowed seventy-five acres of grain by hand and threshed the crop with a flail. He farmed for several years with oxen and he passed through prairie fire experiences and other losses. He lived on this farm until 1902 and had one hundred and fifty-eight acres as his homestead, one hundred and sixty acres as a tree claim and eighty acres of timber land. This property he sold in the spring of 1902 and established a general store in Tintah. He erected a building 24 by 60 feet and this he has stocked with a complete line of general merchandise and has a prosperous business, and has built up a good patronage.
Mr. Flynn was married in Ireland to Miss Bridget Cavaney. Of this marriage nine children have been born, namely: Thomas, Lorens, Patrick' John, James, Alice, Bridget, Mary and Celia. The last two named were born in America. Two of the sons, Patrick and John, are engaged in the hardware business at Tintah under the name of Flynn Bros. They carry a large stock and do a good business. Mr. Flynn is one of the public-spirited men of Tintah and he has aided materially its development as a commercial town. He has served as township clerk of Tintah township since its organization and has also held numerous school offices. In political sentiment he is a Democrat.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 694.
Michael Foley, a leading farmer of Meeker county, owns a valuable estate in Manana township.
Mr. Foley was born in Grey county, Ontario, Canada, July 19, 1860, and was a son of Michael and Julia (Donhue) Foley, both of whom were natives of Ireland. The father was a farmer in Canada, and on the home farm our subject was reared. He attended the common schools and at the age of twenty years came to Minnesota and settled in Meeker county in 1880. He bought a farm on section 3 and began work on the Soo Railroad. In 1893 he disposed of this farm and purchased a tract in section 11 of Manana township. This farm consists of two hundred and sixty acres of which one hundred and sixty acres is under cultivation. He has erected good buildings on the place, including a nine-room house, barn, and all necessary out buildings, and has a windmill and all necessary farm machinery. He has a fine grove on the place and is surrounded by all the comforts of a rural home. He engages in general farming and keeps seven horses and about twelve head of cattle. The place is well kept and a good income is derived therefrom.
Mr. Foley was married July 2, 1889, to Eliza Euright. Mrs. Foley was born in Grey county, Ontario, November 2, 1862. Five children complete the family circle, and are named as follows: Michael James, Julia, Patrick Leo, William John and Tobias. Mr. Foley is a member of the Modern Woodmen at Eden Valley and is a communicant of the Catholic church of that village. He has served as chairman of Manana township for three years, and takes an active part in local public affairs.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 809.
Peter Fredricks, one of the most extensive farmers of Foxhome township, is an old settler of Wilkin county. He has continued the improvement of his home farm for the past thirteen or more years, and in this time has become identified with the history of that locality. He is widely and favorably known as a citizen and well-to-do farmer.
Mr. Fredricks was born in Michigan in 1865. His father, Joseph Fredricks, was of German descent. He was a miner in the iron mines of Michigan and his death occurred in 1899.
Our subject was reared in Wisconsin and received his education in the common schools of his home neighborhood. He came to Wilkin county, Minnesota, in 1882, and purchased land and has made his home thereon since that date. He has added to his possessions as circumstances jutified and is now the fortunate owner of three hundred and seventy acres of excellent land, the greater share of which is under high cultivation, and the balance is grass and pasture land. He has erected good farm buildings and has all machinery and equipment for conducting a model farm. He has prospered in Wilkin county through his strict attention to the details of his farming and his honest dealings, and is classed among the substantial citizens of that locality.
Mr. Fredricks was married in 1889 to Miss Mary Stollenwerk, who was born in Wisconsin in 1867. Mrs. Fredricks was the daughter of Peter Stollenwerk, of German nativity, and a prosperous farmer of Wilkin county for the last twenty-four years. Mr. and Mrs. Fredricks are the parents of five children, who are as follows: Joseph B. born in 1890; John P., born in 1892; William M., born in 1893; Susanna M., born in 1896; and Elizabeth C., born in 1897. All were born on the farm in Wilkin county. Mr. Fredricks has gained a high station as a citizen of Foxhome township and has served as a member of the township board and a member of the school board. He is a gentleman of intelligence and broad mind and is an earnest worker for the up-building of the community where he has chosen his home. In political sentiment he is a Democrat.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 769-70.
Hayden French, clerk of the district court of Big Stone county, is one of the deservedly popular officials. He is a gentleman of sterling character and is an official of whom the people are justly proud, evidence of the fact being that he is now serving his fifth term in this capacity.
Mr. French was born in Mackford, Wisconsin, on a farm in the frontier country, October 29, 1853. His father, D. R. French, was a pioneer farmer of Green Lake county, Wisconsin. He was born in Vermont and was of old American stock. Of a family of nine children our subject was the third in order of birth. The family settled in Wabasha county, Minnesota, in 1864, and here on a farm our subject was reared to manhood. He received his education in the public schools. He came to Ortonville in 1878, but had seen the country in 1876. He took a homestead farm in Malta township, and hauled all lumber and supplies from Morris. He remained on this farm until 1887, when he was elected clerk of the district court, and has been re-elected four times. He operated his farm until 1901, when he sold the property. Mr. French was married in 1876 to Miss Alice Struble. Mrs. French was born in Indiana, and her father, Stephen Struble, was a farmer of Wabasha county. Mr. and Mrs. French are the parents of three children, namely: Elva D., now married to C. A. Pond, of Duluth; Katherine B., residing at home, and for the past three or four years acting as her father's deputy; and Charles Everill, a graduate of Ortonville High School and a student at present, engaged in teaching in Minnesota State University. Mr. French was a resident of this locality when the county was organized and he has always taken an active part in all public affairs, and is an upright citizen and enjoys an enviable reputation. Politically he is a Republican and stands firmly for the principles of his party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 527.
Edward O. Fuder, who occupies a foremost place among the younger members of the farming community of Andrea township, has devoted his time and attention exclusively to the pursuit of agriculture and is well versed in the art. He is a gentleman of intelligence and enterprise and his success in farming and high station as a citizen are well merited. He has a pleasant home and has built up a valuable farm property.
Mr. Fuder was born in Mower county, Minnesota, September 5, 1876. His father, Lewis Fuder, is one of the old settlers of Minnesota, and a sketch of his life appears elsewhere in this volume. When our subject was four years of age he came to Wilkin county with his parents and he was here reared and was educated in the common schools. He remained on the home farm and assisted his father with the improvement of the frontier farm until he reached his majority, when he purchased of his brother, the homestead right to one hundred and sixty acres of land in Andrea township. He has built a house and barn and made other valuable and substantial improvements and has placed nearly all his farm under cultivation and has demonstrated what may be accomplished by strict attention to business and honest labor. He is now recognized as one of the leading farmers of his township.
Mr. Fuder was married January 7, 1903, his bride being Miss Daisy Heider. Mrs. Fuder was born in Wilkin county, Minnesota, and was here reared and educated. She completed a liberal education and is an intelligent and accomplished woman. She has taught several terms of school in Wilkin county and was always a popular and efficient teacher. Mr. Fuder takes a commendable interest in local public affairs and supports all enterprises tending to upbuild the better interests of the community in which he makes his home. He is a Democrat in political sentiment.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 646.
Lewis Fuder, recognized as one of the leading agriculturists of Wilkin county, resides on his valuable estate in Andrea township. He has followed farming throughout his career and despite many discouragements during his early residence in Wilkin county he has thoroughly improved his farm and has become one of the well-to-do men of that locality.
Mr. Fuder was born in Germany, April 1, 1840. His father, Napoleon Fuder, followed farming. He came to America in 1842 and located in Illinois, purchasing a farm in Cook county. He was engaged in the operation of this farm until his death in 1896. The mother of our subject died in 1902.
Lewis Fuder was the second in a family of five children. He came to America with his parents in 1842 and was reared on the home farm in Cook county, Illinois. At the age of nineteen years began to earn his own way and came to McLeod county, Minnesota, where he was engaged at farm work for one year. He passed through the Indian massacre at Hudson. In 1863 he returned to Illinois and remained at his boyhood home for one year. March 7, 1864, he enlisted in Company G, Thirty-ninth Illinois Infantry, and served loyally until the close of the war. He came to Olmstead county, Minnesota, in 1866, and rented land and worked until 1881, when he removed to Wilkin county and entered claim to land as a homestead. He built a claim shanty thereon and a sod barn and began the improvement of his farm with horses. In 1884 he lost his crops by hail and in 1885 and '86 he had a partial loss of crops through the same agency. He met these discouraging losses by persistent determination to remain and develop his farm and he is now the fortunate owner of one hundred and sixty acres of well improved and highly cultivated land. He has had good buildings placed on the farm, and a fine grove is the result of his early planting of trees on the place. Every appointment of the farm bespeaks painstaking care and thrift.
Mr. Fuder was married in 1869 to Miss Helen Fitch. Mrs. Fuder was born in Illinois in 1850, and at the age of three years moved with her parents to Minnesota, where she was reared and educated. Her father, William H. Fitch, followed farming in Fillmore county, Minnesota, and is now a resident of Grant county, Minnesota. Mr. and Mrs. Fuder are the parents of ten children, who are as follows: Nora E., born January 12, 1871; Franklin H., born October 31, 1874; Edward O., born September 5, 1876; Clara E., born June 2, 1878; William L., born March 8, 1880; Jason L., born August 26, 1882; Nathan L., born September 13, 1884; Annie L., born November 24, 1888; Ethel L., born March 12, 1890; and Ray, born April 13, 1894. The first five children were born in Fillmore county, Minnesota, and the other children were born in Wilkin county, Minnesota. Mr. Fuder is a gentleman of broad mind and he keeps abreast of the times and takes an active part in local public affairs. He is especially interested in educational matters in his community and has held several school offices. In political faith he is a Republican and stands firmly for the principles of his party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 618.
There were 1420 visitors from 12 May 2006 to 4 Jul 2011. Visitor stats were lost from 5 Nov 2005 to 12 May 2006 because of a broken counter. There were 514 visitors from 29 May 2001 to 5 Nov 2005.
Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN