Rev. Martin Hafermann, a young and popular clergyman of Clara City, Chippewa county, was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1870. His father, also Martin Hafermann, was a clergyman, and lived and died in Germany. The subject of this sketch was the fifth member of a family of thirteen children born to his parents, was thoroughly and critically educated, having attended in his college days four different universities. In 1893 he came to the United States, and seeking a home and a life work in Minnesota, located at Clara City, where he entered the ministry, and became pastor of the German Lutheran Immanuel church.
This congregation was organized in 1889, and a church building erected the same year under Rev. Edward Schroeder, its first pastor. The parsonage was completed in 1894. The parish has grown from eleven to sixty-five families, and the house of worship enlarged in 1902. It is now a handsome and commodious structure 30 by 66 feet. Up to the present time the pastor of the Clara City church has also ministered to a church at Raymond, and a congregation in Havelock township, Chippewa county.
Mr. Hafermann was married in 1894 to Miss Louise Hafermann, daughter of a German clergyman, Rev. Heinrich Hafermann, and also German born. They have three children alive: Martin, Alma and Walter. Mr. Hafermann devotes all his time to his various church movements, and is a worthy successor of such men as Rev. Schroeder, Rev. Henry Hafermann and the Rev. Arnold Janssen, able and consecrated men that they were.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 452-53.
Solomon A. Halgren, who early in life left his native land and became identified with American civilization and progress, evidenced his deep interest in the welfare of his adopted land by serving in the Civil war. He was a brave and loyal soldier and has proven himself a true public spirited citizen. He is one of the prominent business men of Becker county, Minnesota, and is proprietor of a general mercantile establishment in Cormorant township, and also owns considerable farm property in that locality, his residence being in section 36, of Cormorant township.
Mr. Halgren was born in Sweden, June 29, 1842, and was a son of Swan and Marie (Forman) Halgren, both of whom were natives of Sweden. He came to America with his father at the age of twelve years and they resided in Illinois and in 1857 moved to Minnesota, residing in Carver county. In 1871 Mr. Halgren went to Sauk Center, Minnesota, and resided there three years, when he took up his residence in Becker county, at Audubon. After two years' residence there he removed to Cormorant township, Becker county, in 1878, and there he established a general merchandise store. He carries a stock valued at five thousand dollars, including dry goods, hats, caps, boots, shoes, groceries, hardware and all articles used and called for in an agricultural community. Mr. Halgren was postmaster in the village of Cormorant for fourteen years and was an efficient and popular officer. He is the owner of one hundred and twenty acres of land, and is one of the substantial business men of Becker county.
Mr. Halgren was married February 24, 1872, to Ida M. Trace. Mrs. Halgren was born October 10, 1852, and died September 5, 1880. Two children were born to this union, namely: Hattie O. and Charles M. Mr. Halgren was married to Saloma Swetland September 4, 1881. Mrs. Halgren was born in Wisconsin February 2, 1862. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Halgren, a daughter, named Alma Ethel. Mr. Halgren is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, G. A. R. and Masonic blue lodge and chapter. He has served as school clerk of Cormorant and politically is a Republican.
Mr. Halgren enlisted November 12, 1861, in Company B, Twelfth United States Infantry, under George B. McClellan and Burnsides, in the Army of the Potomac. He participated in the siege of Yorktown, battles of Antietam, Gettysburg and the Seven Days fight on the peninsula, the second battle of Bull Run, battle of the Wilderness, Fredericksburg. He was wounded in the second battle of Bull Run, and also is the battle of the Wilderness, May 5, 1864, and was confined to the hospital four months. He was mustered out at Fort Hamilton, in New York Harbor, November 12, 1864. A portrait of Mr. Halgren, to be found on another page of this work, will add to its value to his family and many friends.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 302.
Probably no citizen of northern Minnesota is better known than A. J. Halsted, proprietor of The Brainerd Tribune, published at Brainerd, Minnesota. He has always identified himself with the public affairs of the community in which he made his home, and has become widely known for his active public spirit and thorough appreciation of the wants of his community, and is universally esteemed and honored regardless of political affiliations. He is a gentleman of broad mind, and is possessed of a character of the highest integrity and an energetic spirit and succeeds in business a well as social affairs.
Mr. Halsted was born in the eastern part of Ohio August 23, 1850. His father was killed in the United States army in eastern Virginia during the Civil war. Our subject was then but thirteen years of age and was one of a large family of children, and consequently was thrown upon his own resources, and he has since made his own livelihood. His father was a native of New York and was a school teacher by profession, and our subject was reared to appreciate a good education. He attended the common schools and at the age of fourteen established a book store and news stand at Bridgeport, Ohio. He continued in business there two years and in 1868 went to northeastern Pennsylvania, where he first engaged in newspaper work, and in the fall of 1870 went to Wheeling, West Virginia. He was city editor of the Wheeling Intelligencer until August, 1879. This was the leading paper of the state. He then founded the Saturday evening Journal, a weekly paper devoted to society news, sporting news, etc., and was conducted successfully. A half interest was purchased in the plant by G. W. Atkinson and others in the spring of 1883, and the paper was made an afternoon daily. Mr. Atkinson was a congressman, and subsequently governor of West Virginia, and is very prominent in public affairs of the state. In the fall of 1883 Mr. Halsted disposed of the entire plant to Mr. Atkinson. He then removed to Minnesota, and in the spring of 1884 purchased the North Western Tribune and changed its name to The Brainerd Tribune. This paper was established in 1872 by M. D. Russell, and is one of the oldest papers of northern Minnesota. For a time it was run as a daily. It has always been a Republican paper and is the leading paper of the county, and has the largest circulation of any paper in northearn Minnesota, and Mr. Halsted has every reason to feel gratified with the result of his labors in that locality.
Mr. Halsted's family are residing in Brainerd and his mother is now making her home with him. In all public matters our subject has proven himself a man of active concern in the welfare of his community wherever he has made his home. In Wheeling he was alderman in the upper branch of the city council for five years, and in 1894 was elected mayor of the city of Brainerd. After serving two years his popularity and good work are best attested by the fact that he received a second election to that office in 1900. In that year he was the Republican nominee, and the Populists and Democrats endorsed the nomination and he was elected without opposition. In 1890 he was nominee of the Republican party for the legislature and run about nine hundred ahead of his ticket, but owing to the fusion of the Democrats with the Peoples party his election was defeated by twelve to fifteen votes. He was chairman of the Republican county committee for a number of years and president of the Republican League Club for several years, and also president of the Campaign Club. In 1900 he was president of the County League Club and at the state convention in St. Paul he was elected vice-president of the league, and a member of the executive committee from the sixth district. Mr. Halsted is prominent in secret society circles. He is a member of all the Masonic orders, including the Knights Templar, and was the first exalted ruler of the Elks lodge in Brainerd, and also holds membership in the Ancient Order of United Workmen, I. O. R. N., Modern Samaritans and Knights of the Maccabees. He was a member of the vestry of St. Paul Episcopal church for many years.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 179-80.
Patrick Handran, one of the representative farmers of Swift county, Minnesota, owns and operates a quarter section of good land in section 20, of Dublin township, all of which he has placed under a high state of cultivation.
Mr. Handran was born in county Mayo, Ireland, November 11, 1853, and was second in a family of fifteen children born to Patrick and Bridget (McEveley) Handran. The father was a well educated man, a student in the leading colleges of Dublin and Edinburgh. He qualified as a veterinary surgeon and practiced his profession many years in Great Britain and Ireland, and later traveled to the United States, where he became a naturalized citizen. He returned to the land of his birth a few years ago, and is still living there with his wife amidst old-time associations and friends.
Patrick Handran, the subject of this sketch, received his early education in Ireland, and owing to the nature of his father's profession was early engaged in the training and management of thoroughbred horses, and was thus employed four years in the city of London, England, teaching the art of riding in one of the leading riding schools of the city. In the fall of 1869 he came to America and on landing remained several months in New York. He later traveled through a part of the southern states and was engaged in contracting along the line of railroad work. In 1881 he came to Minnesota and rented land in Kildare township, Swift county, for five years. In the meantime, in 1882, he secured a relinquished tree claim which he allowed to relapse, and ten years later filed a homestead claim to the same land on section 20, of Dublin township, where he has since continued to live. He put up a farm residence, erected outbuildings and cultivated a grove of trees around his home and energetically conducts his farming interests.
In 1876 Mr. Handran enlisted in the United States regular army and served five years under Gen. S. D. Sturges, and helped to fill the blank left by the massacre of Gen. George A. Custer's command, which occurred a few months previous to our subject's enlistment. Mr. Handran filled all the offices under that of commissioned officer, and could have gained appointment by re-enlistment, but as he was then married he decided to leave the army and settle down to farm life.
Mr. and Mrs. Handran were married in North Dakota, October 1, 1879. Mrs. Handran was a daughter of Bartholomew and Mary (McNamara) Powers, natives of county Cork, Ireland, who emigrated to this country in the early 'fifties. To Mr. and Mrs. Handran eleven children have been born, nine of whom are now living, namely: Harriet, wife of Frank Wallaver, a farmer; Mary; wife of Henry Clark; James; Patrick; Bridget; William; Loretta; Irene; and Stephen. Two children died in infancy. In politics Mr. Handran is a stanch Republican, and takes much interest and an active part in the questions of the day. He has been a delegate to county conventions seven times and several times as delegate to district and state conventions and his services are much in demand at election times. He has filled the office of justice of the peace of his township for four years, and school trustee six years. The family are devout members of the Catholic church.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 319-20.
Hans R. Hanson, one of the most prominent farmers and stock dealers of Swift county, and a man of untiring energy and good business management, resides on section 22, of Six Mile Grove township. He has in all one thousand four hundred acres, which is divided into six farms. His residence and home farm is on the east bank of Chippewa river, and his elegant residence erected in 1896 and other farm buildings stamp his farm as one of the best in that part of Minnesota. He has been a resident of Swift county since 1871, and is widely known and universally respected and esteemed.
Mr. Hanson was born in Norway, January 4, 1855, and was a son of Rasmus and Guri Hanson. His parents emigrated to America in 1865 and went to Dane county, Wisconsin, and after residing there until 1871 they became residents of Swift county, Minnesota. The father took a homestead of eighty acres on section 26, of Six Mile Grove township. He died in July, 1898. The mother died in the spring of 1903.
Of a family of five children our subject was the eldest. He secured a homestead of eighty acres and a timber claim of eighty acres in 1876, and all of this later became a homestead and was in section 2, of Swenoda township. He now has a valuable farm and is engaged extensively in the pursuit of farming. He has a barn 112 by 64 feet, and this structure is extra high and will shelter 175 head of stock and 200 tons of hay. Mr. Hanson has 150 head of cattle, twenty-five horses, fifty sheep, and hogs by the score, and his farm bespeaks thrift and enterprise.
Mr. Hanson was married in 1876 to Betsy Hanson, daughter of Erick and Annie Hanson, farmers of Swift county, who formerly occupied the land upon which our subject now has his home. They built a log cabin in the early days which building was only recently destroyed. It was near the present fine residence of our subject, a striking contrast to the modern and commodious structure which now furnishes a home of comfort and even luxury to Mr. and Mrs. Hanson and family. To this worthy couple seven children have been born, namely: Henry B., Alena A., Josie L., Robert G., Emma A., Tilda J., and Eddie T. Mr. Hanson has served as supervisor and chairman of the board of Six Mile Grove township, and school treasurer since its organization. He was elected county commissioner in 1900 and is still serving in that capacity. He is a Republican politically and he and family are members of the Norwegian Lutheran church. Mr. Hanson is one of the most influential men of his community and is a leader among the citizens of his nationality as well as those of other countries. He speaks both Norwegian and English fluently and deals in the way of trade with all who want assistance and have anything to sell, from the smallest to the greatest article. He is a man of exceptional business capacity and is energetic, enterprising and possessed of good judgment and strict integrity, his good name being without question.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 630.
Louis A. Hanson, who is still in the prime of early manhood, has won for himself a commendable standing in the community in which he dwells, and is known as one of the bright and progressive young citizens of Perry township, Lac-qui-parle county, a most prosperous and fertile section of the noble state of Minnesota.
Olaf C. Hanson, the father of Louis, whose name appears above, was born in Norway and came to the United States early in the '60s, and settling in Wisconsin, entered the employ of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad, presently becoming master mechanic in the company's shops at Milwaukee. He died in 1877, and is remembered as an honorable and upright man, a good citizen and a great lover of his home.
Louis A. Hanson was born in Wisconsin, September 19, 1872, where he was given the opportunity of the public schools until he was fourteen years of age, when he came to Lac-qui-parle county to engage for himself in the labors of farm life in southwestern Minnesota. He worked out until 1898, when his thrift and industry had put him in position to buy land for himself. Two years previous to this he had married, Miss Jennie Haugan, a native of Norway, becoming his wife. She was born in Norway February 1, 1873, her father, Thomas Haugan, coming to this country and locating at Milan, Minnesota, some years ago. There he is still found, a hale and hearty farmer, rich in years and the respect of his neighbors.
To Mr. and Mrs. Louis Hanson have come three children, Ethel, who was born in 1900; Russell, who was born a year later, and Clifford, born in 1902. All the children were born on the Lac-qui-parle farm, and a bright and attractive little family.
Mr. Hanson has been quite successful in his farming operations, and has now acquired an estate of one hundred and sixty acres, nearly all of which is under cultivation, only such land being reserved for grass and pasture as is deemed necessary. He has constructed good farm buildings, including a good windmill, and takes a leading position among the prominent farmers of this section of the state. There is a small but promising grove on the farm, which he planted with his own hands, and watches its growth with much satisfaction.
Still a young man, his friends anticipate much marked success for him whose name introduces this article. Such a character as his must win.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 780-81.
Nels C. Hanson, one of the earliest settlers of Polk county, Minnesota, is now the owner of extensive farm lands in that locality and has gained a comfortable competence and an enviable name. He has a comfortable home in Lowell township, where he has spent many years.
Mr. Hanson was born in Denmark, December 16, 1857. His parents were Hans and Anna C. (Jorgenson) Christianson, and he was one of seven children born to them. His boyhood was spent on his father's farm, and when he was but seven years of age he left home to make his own way. He managed to get some schooling, and about 1869 came with his parents to America. The father filed on a homestead near Fergus Falls, Minnesota. The family had no farming tools, implements, furniture or other effects, and but twenty dollars in money. They had been induced to come with the representation that a house had been built which belonged to a teacher of their acquaintance, and when they arrived they found this to be a log hut covered with birch bark, and with a hollow basswood log for a chimney. The hut had no floor and was adorned inside with two or three stumps. The log chimney later took fire and it was only by quick action on the part of our subject that the hut was saved. The family resided there one winter and then a house was constructed. With no stove and no money to buy one, an oven, built of dried bricks and clay mortar, served instead. Our subject worked at home and for the neighboring farmers as necessity or opportunity presented, and was later employed as driver for a transportation company. This company was hauling baled hay from Bismarck to Black Hills, a distance of two hundred and fifty miles, and the selling price of the commodity at its destination was two hundred dollars per ton. This scarcity of hay was caused by the refusal of the Indians to allow hay made near the Black Hills and a blizzard the last of March also added to the scarcity of the product. In 1879 Mr. Hanson came to Crookston and filed a pre-emption to land in section 20 of Fanny township, and then worked at odd jobs in that vicinity. In the fall of 1880 he heard of his mother's serious illness, and with borrowed money he proved his pre-emption claim and went to his home. The mother passed away Christmas eve of that year, and our subject then rented his farm for a year or two and assumed charge of his father's estate, He had lived in a shanty which he had constructed, and was his own housekeeper for two years, but had little appetite, owing to lack of time for the preparation of his food, and in September, 1882, he removed to his pre-emption, taking his young bride to their new home. After about a year the failing health of his wife caused him to change his residence to a farm at Thief lake, and there with a complete change of scene, rest and plenty of wild game the wife improved in health, and he later disposed of his right at Thief lake and removed to Thief River Falls, where he built a comfortable residence. He later bought two hundred acres of land in sections 27 and 34, in Lowell township, and he also has two hundred and forty acres north of Crookston, and conducts farming extensively. During the early days in Polk county Mr. Hanson suffered many hardships and twice came near losing his life in severe storms. In 1879, when there was no railroad to Fergus Falls, he tramped from Mentor to Fergus Falls, a distance of thirty miles, through a blinding storm in deep snow. It was a dangerous and exhausting experience and he was brought to a realization of his helpless condition when lying in the snow by a wolf licking his face and howling over him. His life was saved, but the experience was one not soon to be forgotten.
Mr. Hanson was married in September, 1882, to Miss Sophie Nelson. Mr. and Mrs. Hanson are the parents of the following children: Mary, John, Rebecca, Hans, Sophia, and Nels, Jr. Mr. Hanson is a man of more than ordinary force in his community and his earnest work for temperance and religious life is well known. He is well versed in such topics and is a fluent and earnest speaker for the betterment of his community and mankind.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 235.
Ole Hanson, one of the best known and most highly respected citizens of Wilkin county, has been a resident of Tanberg township for over thirty years. He has acquired a valuable farm and is one of the well-to-do men of that locality. He has a pleasant home and has supplied all the comforts of life on his rural estate.
Mr. Hanson was born in Gubrandsdalen, Norway, in April, 1846. His father was a farmer and spent his life in Norway. Of a family of three children our subject was the eldest. He was reared in his native land and worked at farming there and in 1869 emigrated to America. He spent one year in Connecticut and one year in New Hampshire, and was engaged in railroading. He came to Minnesota in 1871 and took a homestead in section 34 of Tanberg township, Wilkin county, and built a log house thereon. He secured a team of oxen in 1872 and raised his first crop the following season. His nearest market was Breckenridge and the nearest postoffice was Elizabeth, and Ottertail Lake was the nearest milling plant. Grasshoppers devastated the country for two successive years and he suffered partial losses of crops by hail, but despite these drawbacks he remained to build up a fine farm. He is now the owner of four hundred and ninety acres of land, some of which lies in Akron and Tanberg townships, and some in Ottertail county. On his home farm he has a comfortable residence, a fine barn with stone basement, two granaries, a machine shed, blacksmith shop, ice house and other necessary farm buildings. He has a fine grove on the place and plenty of fruit trees and small fruits. In the early days of his residence there the Indians were frequent visitors and they camped on his farm and ate at his home many times.
Mr. Hanson was married in the fall of 1873 to Miss Mary Amonson, a native of Norway. Of this union the following children have been born: Ellen, now married; Johnnie, deceased; Thea, now married; Augusta, Olina, Theo, Henry and Jennie. All were born in Wilkin county, Minnesota, on the home farm. Mr. Hanson assisted in the organization of the township and has served as a member of the board and as chairman of the same. He is a public-spirited citizen and in political sentiment is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 732-33.
Martin T. Harsted, one of the hustling and energetic business men of Nassau, Minnesota, has had an experience along commercial lines that well qualifies him for every demand that may come on him as a dealer in farm goods and machinery. He is doing well for himself and his many friends are pleased with his progress. Mr. Harsted was born in Selbo, Norway, March 6, 1868, where his father, John J., was engaged as an architect, and was also a carpenter by trade. The father determined to seek a home and a larger success in this country, landed in Minneapolis May 17, 1880. He located at Grove City, Minnesota, where he followed his trade until 1892. That year he removed to Lac-qui-parle county, where he still followed his trade, and where he died September 10, 1899.
Martin T. Harsted accompanied his parents to this country, and was reared to early manhood in Grove City, where he received his schooling, and such preparation for life as the times afforded. In 1886 he went on the road as traveling agent for a harvesting machine company, located at Minneapolis, and was engaged with this company for two years. For a time he followed various occupations after that, until in 1892, when he entered the employ of the McCormick Harvester Company as traveling salesman and collector. He remained with that firm until 1901, when he resigned to take a better position with the Champion Harvester Company. With this firm he continued until 1903, when he came to Nassau, and set up in the farm machinery business for himself, and with the most satisfactory results to the present time.
Mr. Harsted was married April 17, 1897, to Miss Clara Nelson. She was born in Rushford, Minnesota, May 6, 1875. She was reared to womanhood and received her education in Grant county, South Dakota. To them has come one child, Asgot L., who was born April 24, 1902. Mr. Harsted is a Republican, and has won a most creditable standing in Nassau as a business man where his many sterling qualities are recognized by the general public. The same qualities that have already brought him so far on the road to success while yet in the very prime of his early manhood will no doubt push him much farther along as the years go. We prophesy for him a bright future.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 437.
Charles F. Hartman, local manager for the Duluth Water and Light Company, of West Duluth, is a gentleman of excellent business capacity. He has met with success and is well and favorably known.
Mr. Hartman was born in Peru, Indiana, March 24, 1855. His father, Charles Hartman, was born in Westphalia, Prussia, and came to the United States in 1848 while unmarried. He was married in Indiana, at Fort Wayne, and the mother of our subject was born in the same place as the father. The family came to Minnesota in 1855 and settled on a farm thirty-five miles west of St. Paul, where they stayed one year, and the father then engaged in merchandising in Shakopee, Minnesota. When twelve years of age our subject began as clerk in his father's store, and in 1870 he came to Duluth and the family moved here in the fall of the same year. Our subject was employed by I. C. Spaulding & Company as clerk and also with L. M. Spaulding & Company. Duluth was then but a village, and the town went down fast. Our subject made clerking his business and was with different firms. He later spent eight years as foreman of the Northern Pacific Warehouse in Duluth, and was then connected with the Hartman General Electric Company, the business being owned by our subject's brother. In 1896 he accepted the position of local manager of the Duluth Water and Light Company of West Duluth, and he also has charge of the business of the Light and Power Company at West Duluth.
Mr. Hartman was married in 1881 to Miss Evaline Kelly. Mrs. Hartman is of Irish descent, and is a daughter of Charles Kelly, a resident of St. Paul, in which city she was reared. Two sons and one daughter have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hartman. Mr. Hartman is a man of active public spirit and in political faith is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 813.
Hans O. Haug, one of the earliest settlers of Becker county, now resides in the village of Audubon, retired from active labors, in a home of comfort and even luxury. He devoted most of his life to the pursuit of farming, and after developing and improving a fine estate in Audubon township, he retired to enjoy in his declining years the result of his labors.
Mr. Haug was born on a farm at Torpin, Northernland, Norway, August 1, 1837. His father, Ole Larson, was a farmer and lived and died in Norway over fifty years ago. The mother of our subject, Ina (Halvorson), was also a native of Norway. Of a family of nine children born to this worthy couple our subject was the youngest. He attended the country schools and aided with the farm work during his boyhood days, and at the age of seven years he began earning his own way. He enlisted in the Norwegian army at the age of twenty-two years, and spent five years in the service and became a thorough soldier. He came to America in 1863, landing at Quebec, Canada, and from there went to Rock county, Wisconsin. He worked by the month at farm labor for four years, and in 1867 went to Douglas county, Minnesota, where he took land as a homestead and began farming for himself. He built a log cabin and farmed with oxen there, and with raw land he made a livlihood for himself and family. He remained there until 1872, and then went to Becker county, Minnesota, and purchased one hundred acres of land in sections 21, 22, 16 and 15, in Audubon township. In 1873 he went to his new location overland, with two yoke of oxen, seven head of cattle, and a covered wagon, walking the entire distance, and driving the oxen, while his wife drove the cattle. They waded streams and encountered other dangerous experiences, and took a week for the trip, and upon their arrival lived in the wagon until the log cabin could be finished sufficient to be used for a dwelling. He followed farming there until 1895, and then retired from the farm and took up his residence in Audubon, owing to the death of his only child, a son of twenty-five years of age. The farm consisted of 140 acres of land, upon which Mr. Haug had erected a complete set of excellent farm buildings and placed other valuable improvements, making it one of the best improved and best equipped farms of that locality. He followed grain raising principally and met with good results in this line, and was interested in stock to some extent, which also paid him well. He has a comfortable residence in Audubon, where he now makes his home.
Mr. Haug was married in Norway, in 1863, to Miss Karen Hanson, who was a native of that country, and a daughter of Hans Peterson, a prosperous farmer there. One son, Ole Hanson, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Haug. The son died in Audubon township, Becker county, in 1895. He was a promising young man and his death was keenly felt by his parents, with whom he resided. Mr. Haug is one of the best known men of his locality and he has always been found a worthy citizen, laboring for the development and advancement of his community. In political sentiment he is a Republican and is firm in his convictions and lends his influence for good government.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 282-83.
John O. Haugland, a worthy and substantial member of the farming community of Watson, Chippewa county, was born in Fillmore county, Minnesota, in 1865, a son of Ole J. Haugland, who was born in Norway, and was all his life a farmer. He came to this country in 1861, and located in Fillmore county. The whole family came into Chippewa county in 1867, and began farming in the township of Tunsburg. Their first home was a dug-out, but they made their way to a substantial success.
John O. Haugland was reared on the farm, and was made familiar with hard work. He drove ox-teams, and did whatever came to hand with a stout heart. He remained at home with his parents until 1887, when he started for himself. He bought his present home in section 27, and married Miss Thea Blom, who came to this county in 1869. She was born in 1868 in Fillmore county, where her father, Paul Blom, was an old settler. To this union have come seven children, Oliver, Pheme, Arthur, Harry, Gelena (deceased), Ingard and Gifford.
The farm on which Mr. and Mrs. Haugland are passing their lives is in good condition, and shows the touch of a master workman. The buildings are in fine condition, ample to all the needs of the family, and a credit to the town. There is plenty of farm machinery on hand, and everything is up to the mark of intensive farming so much the vogue in the northwest. He is an independent in political matters, and much prefers to do his own thinking.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 496.
Andrew Hawkinson, one of the prominent business men of Virginia, St. Louis county, Minnesota, is a man of exceptional ability and has made a place for himself by his honest and energetic labors.
Mr. Hawkinson was born on a farm in Sweden, in 1857. His father, Hawkin Anderson, was a miller by occupation and lived and died in Sweden. The mother of our subject was also a native of Sweden. Of a family of six children, four sons and two daughters, Andrew Hawkinson was the first born. He gained his education in the public schools and at the age of fourteen years started for himself. He worked at farm work for two summers. When twenty-two years of age he left his native land for America, landing at New York April 12, 1880. He went to Elk Rapids, Michigan, and there worked for an iron manufacturer and for six weeks was in the wood kiln for a blast furnace. He then went to Marquette, Michigan, and later to Lake Superior and spent five months in the woods near Michagama, cutting cord wood. He then followed iron mining near Ishpeming, Michigan, and later was fireman for six months and finally took charge of the hoisting engine. He worked thus two years and never had an accident. He then run the air compressor for the same company one year. In 1884 he went to Tower, Minnesota, where he operated a stationary engine for the Minnesota Iron Company one year. He then secured employment in a grocery store to become familiar with mercantile pursuits, and he followed that about two years, when he changed his position to that of clerk in a hardware store and worked thus about three years, becoming thoroughly versed in the hardware business. His employer, P. Richwine, failed in business and Mr. Hawkinson was placed in charge of the stock for the creditors and disposed of the same. He purchased what remained of the stock after satisfying the creditors and in partnership with N. J. Benson started in the business. He finally enlarged the stock and successfully conducted business there under the firm name of Benson & Hawkinson four years. In the fall of 1894 he went to Virginia, Minnesota, and opened a branch store, one of the first hardware stores in the town. The partnership with Mr. Benson was dissolved in 1895, and Mr. Hawkinson became owner of the business in Virginia, in which he has since engaged. Fire destroyed his building and contents, including the stock, household goods, furniture and clothing, in 1900 and he had but the lots and a small insurance left. Four days later he again opened for business with a new stock, conducting the business in a shanty until November of the same year, when his present fine business block was completed. This is of solid brick and the upper floor is used for society purposes. His hardware store and tin shop occupies twenty-eight by eighty feet and he rents out twenty-one by sixty feet of the space for a jewelry store. Mr. Hawkinson owns a residence and lot in Tower, Minnesota, and is one of the prosperous business men of St. Louis county.
Our subject was married in 1885 to Miss Mary Sokness. Mrs. Hawkinson was born in Trondhjem, Norway, and came to America in 1883. Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hawkinson, namely: Eva, Harry, Carl, Arnold, Mable, Johnnie and Effie. Mr. Hawkinson is prominent in local public affairs, and has served five years as city treasurer. He is a Republican in political sentiment.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 229-30.
Miles L. Hawley, the efficient and popular postmaster of Audubon, Minnesota, is one of the substantial citizens of Becker county. He is an ex-soldier of the Civil war, and can review his service in defense of the Union with justifiable pride. The same loyalty and courage which prompted him in the troublous times to tender his services for his country has been dominant throughout his career and he is deservedly honored and esteemed by his fellowmen.
Mr. Hawley was born on a farm in Portage county, Ohio, February 14, 1838, and was a son of John and Fidelia (Strickland) Hawley. His father was of English descent and was a farmer throughout his life. The Hawley family came to America in Colonial times and the grandfather, John Hawley, served in the Revolutionary war. The mother of our subject was born in Massachusetts and was of Yankee stock, the family having come to America during early times. The grandfather of our subject was named Daniel Strickland.
Of a family of ten children, our subject was the fifth in order of birth. He was raised and educated in Ohio, and at the age of seventeen went with his parents to Pierce county, Wisconsin, and he there assisted on his father's farm. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Twelfth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and in January he was sent to Kansas and later to Kentucky, and was with Grant at Holly Springs, Memphis, Vicksburg, and Jackson, Mississippi, serving a portion of the time under Sherman. After a furlough of thirty days he joined Sherman around Atlanta and then accompanied him on his famous march to the sea, up through the Carolinas, and was at Raleigh, North Carolina, at the time of Lee's surrender. He saw three years and ten months of active service, and participated in the Grand Review at Washington. After the close of hostilities he returned to Wisconsin, and began farming in Pierce county and followed the same there about six years. He went overland to St. Cloud, Minnesota, in 1870, and during the winter of 1870-71 he traveled over the northern part of the Red Lake Indian Agency. In June he returned to Becker county and settled on government land in Audubon township, and built a log shanty and lived there alone for two years, and worked at railroad construction and teaming. He assisted in building the Northern Pacific Railroad through Becker county. He began farming in 1873, and in December, 1875, his residence, furniture, money and all his possessions were burned, including a year's provisions. He then worked for others about a year, after which he disposed of his land and rented land for farming, and in 1878 he removed his family to Audubon and farmed land near the town, and also assumed the management of several farms of that locality. He was appointed postmaster at Audubon in 1896, and is now serving in that capacity.
Our subject was married, in 1873, to Miss Lucy Connelly. Mrs. Hawley was born in Minnesota, and is a daughter of John Connelly, who was born in Maryland and is of Scotch descent. Mr. and Mrs. Hawley are the parents of four children, who are as follows: Clarence W., deceased; Harry J., deceased; Martha F.; and Sue A., all of whom were born on the farm in Audubon township, Becker county, excepting Clarence, who was born at Perham, Ottertail county. Mr. Hawley is a member of the G. A. R. and the Independent Order of Good Templars. He is a Republican politically, and has attended numerous county conventions as a delegate of his party and takes a hearty interest in public affairs locally.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 221.
William J. Hedenstrom, a prosperous merchant of Lindstrom, Chisago county, has made his way to success by perseverance and diligence, supplemented by honest dealings. He is a man of wide experience, and his career has been a busy one, although he is yet in the prime of manhood.
Mr. Hedenstrom was born in Polk county, Wisconsin, in 1871. His father, Olaf Hedenstrom, was a native of Sweden, and he came to America with his wife in 1868. He was a carpenter by trade, and his death occurred when our subject was a lad of fifteen years. He left the family at the time of his demise without means other than their residence property, and our subject, being the second in order of birth in a family of seven children, he early began to assist in the support of all. The family moved to Chisago county in 1871, where our subject was reared and received his elementary education. He attended the Northern Indiana Normal in 1892, but prior to that time had been engaged five years at clerking in Franconia in a general store. After leaving school he clerked two years in various places, including North Branch, Chisago county; Rose Creek, Moore county; Kandiyohi, Kandiyohi county; Sedan, Polk county; and Lindstrom, Chisago county. He also spent a few months in a blacksmith shop in St. Paul. During this period of traveling around he gained a good practical knowledge of the ways of business, and became a valuable employee. He was deterred from completing his course in the Indiana Normal school on account of a severe attack of inflammatory rheumatism. He went to Osceola, Wisconsin, in 1895, and there clerked for Stoltzman & Johnston until 1899, and in the spring of that year located in Lindstrom. He opened a general merchandise business in partnership with his brother, Andrew Hedenstrom. The business prospered from the start and they now occupy a building 40 by 56 feet, and carry a complete stock of general merchandise.
William J. Hedenstrom was married in 1897 to Miss Ida M. Olson, who was a teacher in the Chisago school for seven years. Mrs. Hedenstrom was born in Taylors Falls, Minnesota. Her parents were born in Sweden and came to the United States about 1860. Mr. and Mrs. Hedenstrom are the parents of one child, Waldo W., who was born at Lindstrom in September, 1900. Mr. Hedenstrom is actively interested in public affairs of local importance and is now serving as treasurer of the village. He has a wide acquaintance and is universally esteemed and respected as a business man and citizen.
In 1902 Mr. Hedenstrom began the manufacture of a fruit cleaning machine at Lindstrom, to be used by dealers for cleaning dried fruits, which is finding its way into general use. He has a general office at Minneapolis for handling the business.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 414.
There were 1969 visitors from 12 May 2006 to 4 Jul 2011. Visitor stats were lost from 5 Nov 2005 to 12 May 2006 because of a broken counter. There were 1603 visitors to this page from 29 May 2001 to 5 Nov 2005.
Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN