A four-hundred-and-fifty-acre farm is Teien township is owned and operated by the gentleman above named. He resides on section 16, and is one of the influential citizens of Kittson county, having been dentified [sic] with the public matters of his locality for the past fifteen years or more. He is a representative son of the Scandinavian peninsula, and like those worthy men has come from the Northland to make settlement in the land of liberty, and has actively participated in the development of the social and commercial life of the great state of Minnesota. To his many friends the portrait of Mr. Henricks, found elsewhere in this volume, will prove a great boon.
Our subject was born in Brono Nordlands Amt, Tromsostift, Norway, July 11, 1843, and was the eldest in a family of three children born to Henrik and Oline (Olson) Erlandsen. His home was on the northwest coast of the peninsula, and he naturally was raised to farming and fishing, but the dangers of the latter pursuit decided him in settling in America. His decision once made he put it into action, and with all his available means he started with his wife and one child for Minnesota, U. S. A. He arrived in Minneapolis with but twenty-five cents in his pocket, but he readily obtained work in the sawmills and at railroading, and thus kept his family and himself from want, and in the spring of 1870 he went to Ottertail county to secure free land. He began the improvement of his farm there and remained on the same until 1883, when he disposed of his interests and went to Kittson county, having a knowledge of the resources of that locality from a visit paid to that region in 1880. He drove overland with his stock in the spring, and the following fall his family joined him in the new home. He purchased land with his cash realized from the sale of his place in Ottertail county, and at once became one of the leading farmers of southwestern Kittson county. He made substantial improvements on the farm, including a complete set of good buildings and prospered in his calling there. The floods of the Red river in 1897 destroyed all of his buildings and large quantities of his grain, and the loss was a severe one to our subject, but with his characteristic persistence he has recovered in large measure from the loss, and in recent seasons has gained a good income from the place, and again enjoys prosperity.
Mr. Henricks was married in 1865 to Miss Enger Johansen. Mr. and Mrs. Henricks are the parents of three children, who are named as follows: Paul, Amelia, and Henry. Early in the movements for reform in Minnesota our subject became a member of the Farmers' Alliance, and at the formation of the Populist party he became a stanch member and has been identified with the movements of that party since that time. He is a close student of current affairs, and lends his influence for the upbuilding of his township, county and state, and his adopted country. He was elected a member of the House of Representatives in Minnesota in 1894 and served one term, gaining the confidence of the people for whom he labored. He introduced House Bill No. 414, referring to the redemption of mortgages, and was a supporter of many measures that are now important laws. He served as a member of the following committees: Municipal Legislation, State Prisons, and Enrollment and Engrossment. Mr. Henricks is prominent in county affairs, and from 1890-94 served as county commissioner. He is a consistent member of the Norwegian Lutheran church. In 1901 he was again elected to the lower house by a fusion of the Democratic and Populist tickets. He was a member of four important committees.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 236-39.
The management of an extensive tract of land has fallen to the lot of the lady above named, and the present prosperity apparent is evidence of her ability and good judgment. Mrs. Herring is one of the early settlers of Chisago county, Minnesota, and she has spent most of her life in operating and managing her farm. Being left a widow with a family of small children she exerted her energies for their support and education and she is now the owner of a well improved estate, and has succeeded in placing her older children in comfortable circumstances, while the younger ones are still on the home farm. Her sons assist her in the operation of her farm and the family is widely and favorably known. The farm is located in Harris township.
Mrs. Herring was born in Switzerland in 1841, and came to America with her parents in 1853. The family located in Chisago county about 1856 or 1857, and began the development of a farm in the then unsettled timber country and Mrs. Herring was reared on the frontier. She was married in 1859 to Henry Manders, an old settler of Chisago county. Mr. and Mrs. Manders were among the earliest settlers of Rushseba township and they endured many hardships and privations in the opening up of their farm. They lived in a log house and used oxen for the farm work. Their only machinery available was the grub hoe.
Mr. Manders died in 1869 leaving his widow with a family of four children, namely; Peter, Fred, now deceased, Henry, and Anna.
Our subject was married to John Herring in 1870. Mr. Herring was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, and came to America when a child. His parents settled in Chisago county, Minnesota, in 1854. He served three years in the Civil war in defense of the Union. He was an old settler of Chisago county, and spent ten years of his life in the lumber woods. Mr. and Mrs. Herring settled on the farm in Harris township in 1873. Mr. Herring died on the home farm January 2, 1889.
To Mr. and Mrs. Herring the following children were born: Rosa, John, Mary, Lena, Henrietta, Lucy, James, and Letta A. All but four are grown to maturity and are married and reside in Minnesota and British Columbia; three at Brainard [sic], Minnesota, and one at Aitken [sic], Minnesota. Since the death of the husband and father Mrs. Herring and her eldest sons have conducted the farm and have met with success and have a good home. The farm covers two hundred and forty acres, of which eighty acres is under cultivation. They have good buildings on the place and painstaking care is evidenced in every detail of the farm.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 448-49.
Philip Hess, who has accomplished much as a farmer of Taylor township, is one of the earliest settlers of Traverse county. He has developed a fine farm and is one of the influential citizens of his community.
Mr. Hess was born in Germany, February 2, 1864. His father, Jacob Hess, was a farmer and came to America in 1871, locating with his family on a farm in Wisconsin. He resided here until 1881 and then removed to Minnesota, and settled on section 18 of Taylor township, Traverse county, becoming one of the pioneers of this locality.
Our subject was reared in Wisconsin and assisted his father with the work of the home farm. He came with his parents to Minnesota in 1881 and continued engaged in farming with his father a greater share of the time until he was twenty-eight years of age. He helped in the development of the home farm and drove ox teams in the early days there. In 1888 he bought a homestead right in section 22 of Taylor township and has since been a resident of Traverse county. This was a wild prairie farm, but he has continued the improvement and cultivation of the same and now has a well improved and thoroughly equipped estate. He lived alone on his land for some five years and passed through the experience of pioneer life. He is now the owner of three hundred and sixty acres of land, of which three hundred and twenty acres is under cultivation, and the rest is meadow. He engages successfully in stock and grain raising. He has a convenient and commodious house, large barn, granary, and all machinery for conducting his farm, and has prospered. He has opened his own farm, has assisted his father in the development of the family home farm, and has done breaking in different parts of Taylor township.
Mr. Hess was married in 1896 to Miss Etta Dauffenbach. Mrs. Hess was born in Lowell, Wisconsin, and her father, William Dauffenbach, is a farmer and old settler of Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Hess are the parents of five children: Harry, born in 1896; Mabel, born in 1897; Roy, born in March, 1898 ; Roland, born in September, 1899, and Arline, born January 5, 1902. Mr. Hess has served as school treasurer and in political sentiment he is a Democrat.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 703.
Hiram W. Hewitt, the efficient and popular postmaster of Clinton, Minnesota, is one of the old settlers of Big Stone county. He is a gentleman of integrity and enterprise and well merits his high standing.
Mr. Hewitt was born in Pennsylvania, April 21, 1847. His father, Jeremiah Hewitt, was of German descent. He followed farming in Pennsylvania. He visited his son, Hiram W., in Big Stone county, Minnesota, in 1884 and returned to his home in Pennsylvania, where he died in 1886. Our subject was reared in his native state and attended the common schools there. He was obliged to earn his own way at the age of nineteen years. He came to Big Stone county, Minnesota, in 1878 and took a homestead and built a claim shanty and sod barn. He did his first breaking with two yoke of cattle. He built up a good farm and was successful as an agriculturist. He planted a fine grove and erected good buildings and had a pleasant home on his farm. In 1887 he sold his farm, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, and removed to Clinton, where he erected a hotel, now known as the Exchange House. He was proprietor of this hotel for about six years, and then engaged in the general merchandise business, but did not meet with success in this last venture. He has served as postmaster at Clinton since 1887 and his work there meets the approval of all the patrons of that office. He is faithful in the discharge of his duties and enjoys the confidence of all who know him.
Mr. Hewitt was married in 1866 to Miss Angelina W. Warner. Mrs. Hewitt is of German descent and was born in New York state in 1842. When she was a year and a half old her parents moved to Pennsylvania and there she was reared and educated. Her father, Henry Warner, followed farming in Pennsylvania. He died several years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Hewitt are the parents of five children, namely: J. Elfie, born in 1867; Rhobie M., born in 1869; Hiram A., born in 1874; M. Pauline, born in 1879; and Ransom J., born in 1882. The oldest three were born in Pennsylvania and the others were born in Big Stone county. Mr. Hewitt has served on the township board of supervisors and is prominent in local affairs. He is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 732.
John T. Heys, late of Prairie View township, Wilkin county, was for many years prior to his demise a leading citizen and representative farmer. He built up a good home and at the time of his death was the owner of a valuable estate of one hundred and sixty acres of improved land. This property is now controlled and operated by Mrs. Heys and the farm bespeaks comfort and good management.
Mr. Heys was born in England February 17, 1849. He came to America when an infant one year of age and was reared in Goodhue county, Minnesota, and educated in the common schools there. He served five years in the United States regular army. In 1878 he came to Wilkin county and took a piece of railroad land, the claim of which was being contested by the Great Northern Railroad Company. The title was settled in 1892 and then the land came into the market, and Mr. Heys bought it. On settling here he built a claim shanty and lived there alone for the first five years. He began his farming with horses and thus made steady progress in the improvement and cultivation of his farm. He planted trees and a fine grove now furnishes shelter and shade and adds to the value of the property. He placed good buildings on the farm and met with success in all his farming operations and built up a good home, which is now occupied by his family.
Mr. Heys was married on December 22, 1883, to Miss Alta Ridgman, who was born in Clinton county, Iowa, June 21, 1856. Mrs. Heys was reared in Pierce county, Wisconsin, and received her education there. Her father, William H. P. Ridgman, was of old English blood. He came to America when but twelve years old with his father's family who located near Cleveland, Ohio. He married there and went directly to Iowa, remaining three years. This accounts for Mrs. Heys being born in Iowa. Mr. Ridgman and family then went back to Ohio and about one year later moved to Wisconsin, where he now resides and is engaged in farming. To M. and Mrs. Heys five children were born, all of whom were born on the farm in Wilkin county. They are as follows: Fannie, born September 19, 1884; William H., born December 22, 1885; Loretta, born January 6, 1888; George, born August 28, 1889; and Elma, born July 19, 1892. Mr. Heys died March 1, 1900, and is deeply mourned by a large circle of relatives and acquaintances. He was a public-spirited citizen and has served as assessor of his township for several years, and as township clerk and a member of the township board. He was affiliated with the Democratic party politically.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 533-34.
Edward G Hogan, a leading merchant of New Paynesville, Minnesota, and junior partner of the firm of M. J. Hogan & Son, was born September 1, 1872, at Spring Hill. He was the oldest of eight children born to Michael J. and Hannah (Meyer) Hogan. The father was born in Prince Edward's Island, and came of Irish parentage. The mother was a native of Bavaria, Germany. The father died April 30, 1895. He purchased in the fall of 1869 a farm near Spring Hill, Minnesota. His early life from his eleventh year was spent on the sea; he was on the ocean for forty years, and as he was a great traveller, and had been around the world four times with open vision, he was a man of wide and varied information. For fifteen years he sailed his own ship, and by thrift and economy gradually accumulated a sum of money sufficient to put a fine farm in order. About 1882 the father traded his farm for a general store at Spring Hill and from that time until his death was engaged in mercantile life.
Edward C. Hogan was brought up in his father's store from the time he was ten years old, and became thoroughly familiar with the business. In 1897 he secured a stock of goods, and moved it from Brooten to Paynesvillle [sic], a station on the Great Northern, where he was in business about a year. In the spring of 1899 he purchased the general store of W. G. Bugbie in New Paynesville. He brought his goods from Paynesville, and combining it with the Bugbie stock, now has one of the most complete and attractive stores in New Paynesville. The stock is worth over $10,000 and at Spring Hill he has a stock of $5,000. Mr. Hogan enjoys an extensive acquaintance throughout the county. His command of the German language is a help to his trade. In 1899 he was elected to the general assembly, and took his seat in 1900 at a special session. It is his distinction to be the first Republican elected from the fifty-fourth district. In 1898 he was married to Miss Annie G. Ehresmann. They have one son, Earl.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 334.
Charles J. Hokanson, a prosperous farmer of Chisago county Minnesota, is an old settler of that locality, and resides on his well improved estate in section 7 of Franconia township.
Mr. Hokanson was born in Lenory, Sweden, in 1855. His father was a native of the same country and come to the United States with his family in 1869. He settled in Chisago county, Minnesota, and became a prosperous farmer of that locality. The family lived in a log house for many years, and our subject passed through the privations and experiences of the early pioneers of that locality. He drove ox teams and when a young man drove five yoke through the city of St. Paul. He remained on the home farm until he was twenty-two years of age, when he began operations for himself and settled on his present farm in Franconia township. This was all heavy timber, but he grubbed the stumps and cleared the land, and worked persistently to improve his farm. He is now the owner of two hundred acres of land, of which he has about seventy acres under high cultivation and the rest is pasture and timber. He has a comfortable residence in two parts, each 30 by 20 feet, and he has also erected two barns, providing ample shelter for products and stock, and has otherwise improved the place.
Mr. Hokanson was married at the age of twenty-two years to Miss Hilda Truelson. Mrs. Hokanson was born in Franconia township, Chisago county, and her father was one of the early settlers of that region. Mr. and Mrs. Hokanson are the parents of the following children: Hannah, Jennie, Henry, Laura, Arthur, Furman, Clarence, Leonard, and one child, deceased. Mr. Hokanson is a wide awake citizen of active public spirit and has served as a member of the township board of supervisors for nineteen years, about fifteen years of which time he was chairman of that body. He has also held numerous school offices, and is trustee for the Center City Lutheran church. He stands for Republicanism and is an earnest worker for party principles.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 490-91.
John A. Hokanson, one of the best known pioneers of Chisago county, Minnesota, is a prosperous agriculturist of Sunrise township, where he has spent over twenty years. Prior to this time he was a prominent citizen of Fish Lake township. He recounts many of the exciting scenes of his early life in Minnesota, and a review of his career is of interest to all.
Mr. Hokanson was born in Sweden in 1841. His father, Nels Hokanson, was a farmer by occupation. He came to America with his family when our subject was but twelve years of age, and after landing at Boston the family came west via railroad, boat and team. They went up the Mississippi and the St. Croix rivers to Taylor's Falls in the fall of 1853. The father took a homestead one mile east of Center City, and there our subject was reared and assisted with the work of the home farm. October 5, 1861, he enlisted in the Third Minnesota Infantry and was sent to Ft. Snelling. After three weeks he was sent to Belmont, Kentucky, and there camped out in the snow. He participated in the engagements at Murfreesboro, Fitzhugh Woods, Little Rock, and Vicksburg, and also minor skirmishes and battles. The regiment was sent to Minnesota in 1862 and engaged in Indian fighting. Our subject was in the battle at Wood Lake when Little Crow and his band were captured. After the close of the war Mr. Hokanson returned home and about 1866 took a homestead in Fish Lake township, Chisago county. He built a log house and began farming with four oxen. Sunrise was the nearest trading point and most of the traveling was done afoot. In a journey of ten miles our subject shot at nine deer and killed five of them. The country was wild in every particular. In 1881 he sold his interest in Fish Lake township and moved to his present farm in Sunrise township, one and a half miles northeast of Harris. At that time he had but one neighbor within a mile of his farm. With the assistance of his sons Mr. Hokanson improved his farm for cultivation and erected substantial buildings thereon and has acquired a valuable estate covering one hundred and sixty acres, of which ninety acres is under cultivation. His sons, Charles, Morris, and Ezra, own one hundred and sixty acres of land near the home farm.
Mr. Hokanson was married February 9, 1866, to Miss Matilda C. Samuelson, a native of Sweden. Seven sons and one daughter have been born of this marriage, namely: Charles F. Ulysses, Morris G., Ezra Emanuel, Alice A., Emery G., Arthur E., who was killed by a wagon in August, 1903, John E., Paul E., all of whom were born in Chisago county. Mr. and Mrs. Hokanson were the first couple married in Fish Lake township. In the early days the peace of their life was destroyed by the invasion into their growing grain crops by the Indians of that region. In 1868 our subject and twenty-five other pioneers drove a large band of Indians away from there into Kanabec county. The settlers were well protected by firearms and the braves left after a show of resistance. Mr. Hokanson is an active and wide awake citizen and he has served as constable, supervisor, justice of the peace two terms and is a member of the school board. He is a Republican politically.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 618-19.
The farming community of Sunrise township has an able representative in the person of Andrew Hokenson. For many years he has been a resident of Chisago county, and has an extensive acquaintance, and is known as an energetic and prosperous farmer, and a worthy citizen.
Mr. Hokenson was born near Vexjor, Sweden, in 1847. His father was a carpenter and spent his life in Sweden. Of a family of seven children our subject was the eldest. He came to America in 1857, and went direct to Chisago county, residing with his uncle, John Hokenson, who lived at the site of the present town of Lindstrom. There were no railroads and but few wagon roads, and he lived there for some time, finally starting out to earn his own way at the age of eleven years. He spent many years in the lumber woods, and for several years was engaged in logging for himself. He spent some time on the log drives and at different times made tirps [sic] into Montana and Dakota. He was at Center City when the fort was built to protect the settlers from the Indians. He handled ox teams in the woods and was a cook in the lumber camps, and spent eight years in the employ of one contractor. He purchased his present farm in 1871. This is located in section 18, of Sunrise township, and he at once began the erection of buildings on the farm and to clear the same for cultivation. He continued the improvement of the place and had a set of good buildings when fire destroyed his residence and caused considerable other loss in 1890. He has since erected a comfortable residence and has a pleasant home. He is the owner of one hundred and twenty acres of land, and engages successfully in stock and grain raisnig [sic]. During his early life there his first crops were sowed among stumps, and the only farm machinery used was a hoe. He sowed a crop of rye at the north end of Chisago Lake in the fall of 1857, using a hoe for the work. Provisions were scarce and he ground corn and rye in the coffee mill to use for flour.
Mr. Hokenson was married June 6, 1868, to Miss Amanda Brown.
Mrs. Hokenson's father, J. S. Brown, was born in Illinois of old American stock, and was one of the early settlers of Sunrise township, Chisago county. Mr. and Mrs. Hokenson are the parents of eleven living children, who are named as follows: John, Annie, Nellie, Charles, Maud, Victorine, Earl, Roger, Blanch, Thomas, and Orrin, all of whom were born in Chisago county; one child died in infancy. Mr. Hokenson has served as supervisor of his township and also as school officer, and he assisted in the organization of the first school in the neighborhood in 1893, and has always taken an active part in local public affairs.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 676-79.
John Holecek, recognized as one of the leading farmers of Connelly township, Wilkin county, conducts a well improved farm. He is one of the old settlers of this region, although a young man, but most of his life has been spent here and he has a host of friends.
Mr. Holecek was born in Wisconsin, July 25, 1873. His father, Frank Holecek, was of Bohemian descent. He was one of the early settlers of Wisconsin and in 1876 came to Richland county, North Dakota, taking a homestead there. He sold this land in 1888 and came to Wilkin county and purchased a farm.
Our subject was reared in Richland county, North Dakota, and attended the common schools there and also the High School at Wahpeton, North Dakota. At the age of fifteen years he became his father's assistant and later conducted the farm. He is now the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of land, nearly all of which is under plow and the rest is pasture and grass. He has good farm buildings on the place and has a comfortable home in every particular. He personally supervises the farm work, and has met with pronounced success as an agriculturist and is classed among the substantial men of his township.
Mr. Holecek was married February 20, 1900, to Miss Anna Stepan. Mrs. Holecek was born in Iowa in 1878. She was reared in South Dakota, where her parents located in 1884 (near Chamberlain), and she attended the common schools there. Mr. and Mrs. Holecek are the parents of two children: Leona, who was born October 8, 1901, and Winnefred. Mr. Holecek is a young man of active public spirit, and he is rapidly gaining prominence in his township as a citizen of true worth. He has served as township treasurer for the last three years and has gained the confidence of his associates. He is affiliated with the Democratic party politically and stands firmly for the principles of his party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 631.
Joseph C. Holecek, the pioneer business man of Brushvale, Wilkin county, is a young man of marked ability and a prosperous future is safely predicted for him. He has gained a high station in his home community as a citizen of sterling worth and his success and good name are well merited.
Mr. Holecek was born on a farm in Richland county, North Dakota, in 1876. His father, Frank Holecek, was horn in Bohemia and came to America about 1871. He settled in Wisconsin and was there married to Mary Tehle, also a native of Bohemia. Of this union twelve children were born, our subject being the third. The family went to North Dakota in 1876 and the father took a homestead of eighty acres in Richland county, being one of the pioneer settlers there. He worked on the railroad when it was built into Wahpeton. The family moved to Wilkin county, Minnesota, in 1888, and settled on land in section 36 of McCauleyville township, and the father opened up a farm of one thousand six hundred acres in Wilkin county. He became one of the leading citizens of his locality and had a valuable estate. He died April 22, 1901, and was deeply mourned by a large circle of relatives and friends.
For three years prior to the father's death our subject had managed the home farm and he conducted the farm until 1901 and then accepted a position with the St. Anthony and Dakota Elevator Company at a good salary and has purchased grain for this firm since. He is a valued employe and his services are appreciated by the company with whom he is associated, a substantial increase in salary evidencing this fact. He erected the first building in Brushvale and was active in getting the wheat market started here and was instrumental in the establishment of the postoffice at this place. He established a general store in Brushvale April 1, 1902, and the postoffice was then established, and he has also engaged in the machine business in this thriving village. He is a thorough business men [sic], having had a good business training of four terms with the Buffalo College of Correspondence, and he also received a liberal schooling in the public schools of Minnesota.
Mr. Holecek was married March 8, 1903, to Miss Jessie R. Sanker. Mrs. Holecek was born in North Dakota and her father, Matthew Sanker, is a farmer and one of the leading old settlers of Richland county, North Dakota. Mr. Holecek is a gentleman of broad mind and lends his support to every enterprise tending toward the public welfare of his community. In political sentiment he is a Democrat.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 747-48.
In a county as well settled as Marshall county, Minnesota, it would be difficult to name the most prominent citizen or public official, but a high station is willingly accorded the gentleman whose name heads this personal review. He has resided there for many years and has always been found standing on the side of right and justice and adhering to his friends and increasing his popularity. He is now serving as judge of probate and by his excellent judgment and sense of right administers to all justice and equity.
Our subject was born in Sweden, August 27, 1862, and was the oldest of a family of seven children. His parents, Hans and Kari (Person) Holm, are now residents of Minnesota. When our subject was twelve years of age he began a three-years' apprenticeship to the goldsmith and jeweler's trade. He came to America in 1883 and a home was soon afterward made in Nelson Park township, Marshall county, Minnesota. The same year he established a jeweler's shop in Warren, and in 1888 he was elected county treasurer of Marshall county and served in that capacity for four years. He established a restaurant in 1893 and in 1895 opened a jewelry and repair store. He is thoroughly acquainted with this business, having learned the same well while an apprentice, and he prospered in his work and continued thus engaged until 1896, when he was elected to the office of judge of probate. He is now filling this position faithfully and well and his name is familiar to all among whom he labors and he is universally esteemed as a man and officer.
Judge Holm was married in 1888 to Miss Mary Retzen. One son has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Holm, who bears the name of Carl O. Judge Holm is a Republican politically, and is firm in his convictions and lends his influence for the principles of his party. He is a man of good education and is intelligent and keeps pace with the times. He has refined tastes and is in possession of a fine collection of curios. His home is pleasant and in good taste and all the appointments bespeak the refinement of its occupants.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 149.
Arnold R. Holston, senior member of the law firm of Holston and Hagen, of Crookston, is one of the well-known attorneys of Polk county, and has been identified with the public interests of that county for many years.
Mr. Holston was born in Illinois, March 21, 1858, and was the youngest of eight children born to William and Lydia (O'Hair) Holston. He went to the California gold fields in 1849, and he was later a Union soldier and died while serving his country. He was a native of Kentucky, as was also the mother of our subject, who was of Scotch-Irish extraction.
Left fatherless at an early age, young Arnold was thrown among strangers. Hardships seemed all the world had to offer, and experience was his only teacher. Despite these discouragements he mapped out a professional career for himself and, rising above his surroundings, he made the best of every opportunity. He read law in the office of Cols. Sellar & Dole, in Paris, Illinois, and at twenty years of age entered Wesleyan Law School. In 1881 he located in Minnesota and clerked in the probate office at Buffalo, and the same year was admitted to the bar of Minnesota. He practiced law three years at Delano and Cokato, from 1884 to 1887 was located at Moorhead, and from 1887 to 1891 at Red Lake Falls. He was elected county attorney of Polk county in 1890 and in 1891 took up his residence in Crookston, the county seat, where he has since followed his practice, with the exception of one year spent in Colorado. His faithfulness and popularity are best evidenced by the fact that he was twice re-elected to the office of county attorney of Polk county, and served three terms with honor to himself and the people whom he represented. The present firm of Holston & Hagen was founded in 1900, and they enjoy an extensive practice and are among the foremost attorneys of Minnesota.
Mr. Holston has been identified with the Populist party politically since 1890 and has taken an active part in campaign work, and has done much to further the reform movement. He has a host of friends, irrespective of party affiliations.
Mr. Holston was married in 1883, the lady of his choice being Caroline Nordine. Mrs. Holston presides over her home with true dignity and grace and is a helpful companion to her husband. They have a pleasant home in Crookston and are highly esteemed by all who know them.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 224.
J. M. Homiston, who for the past quarter of a century has been identified with the farming interests of Traverse county, Minnesota, is a well known and highly esteemed citizen of Leonardsville township.
Mr. Homiston was born in Dunn county, Wisconsin, in 1876. His father, Edward Homiston, was born in Vermont and was of German descent. He is engaged in farming in Traverse county, Minnesota.
Our subject was reared on the home farm in Traverse county and attended the common schools and the high school at Herman, Grant county. After attaining his majority he made his own way by working in the woods in winter and at farm work in summer. He went to Ward county, North Dakota, in 1899 and took a homestead. He now owns a farm of three hundred and twenty acres of which about two hundred and thirty acres is under cultivation, and on his home farm he has a set of good farm buildings and all necessary machinery, including a windmill. In 1902 he purchased a twenty-five horse-power threshing rig with all the latest improvements and he follows threshing successfully each season.
Mr. Homiston has not only witnessed the development of the agricultural and commercial interests of this locality, but he has played an important part in bringing about this prosperous state, and is one of the prominent men of his community.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 813.
Thore O. Hong, one of the oldest settlers of Kandiyohi county, Minnesota, is living in retirement from active pursuits in his pleasant home in Willmar. He has followed the occupation of farming most of his life and has done his full share toward the development of the resources of the county where he chose his home in the early day.
Mr. Hong was born on a farm in Valders, Norway, in 1835. His father, Ole Ellingson, was a farmer by occupation and spent his life in Norway, serving in the army of his native land. Our subject was the fifth in a family of nine children and was educated in Norway and at the age of twenty-two years came to America, landing at Quebec. He went to La Crosse, Wisconsin, and settled on a farm in Vernon county. He remained there about six years and in 1868 located on a farm in Dovre township, Kandiyohi county, driving to his new home overland from St. Cloud. He built a log house and lived on that farm six years. He passed through many hardships, and lost two crops by grasshoppers. He sold his farm in 1874 and bought another in the same neighborhood, and there resided thirteen years. He then disposed of his estate and removed to Mamre township, where he followed farming for twelve years. His first two farms were raw prairie and he opened them up and improved them. The last farm was one hundred and sixty acres of good land, of which about half was under cultivation at the time of his purchasing the same and the rest was good pasture and hay land. He removed to Willmar in 1898 and purchased a comfortable residence there where he has since made his home, enjoying the result of his many years of labor as a tiller of the soil.
Mr. Hong was married in Vernon county, Wisconsin, in 1863, to Helen Sjerle. Mrs. Hong was born in Norway and came with her parents to America in 1862. The family settled in Waupaca county, Wisconsin. Nine children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hong, six of whom reached maturity. They are as follows: N. Joseph, teaching in Lutheran University at Parkland, Washington; Olaf D., foreman of a farm in Kandiyohi county, Minnesota, for D. N. Tallman; Alfred, carpenter and contractor; Hannah, teacher in Kandiyohi county; Peter, one of the proprietors of Willmar Milling company, a sketch of whom appears in this work; Enga, teaching in Kandiyohi county; Adolph, died at the age of twenty-eight years; he was completing a course in pharmacy. Mr. Hong has held numerous township offices in Wisconsin and Minnesota and was assessor and township clerk in Dovre township, and served one term as county commissioner. He and family are members of the Lutheran Synod church. He is independent in politics.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 684-85.
Charles B. Hosford, for the past twenty-two years a resident of Wilkin county, Minnesota, has identified himself with the farming interests of Champion township, and by building up a fine farm and lending his influence for good citizenship he has become one of the deservedly successful and prominent citizens of his locality.
Mr. Hosford was born in LaSalle county, Illinois, in 1844. His father, John Hosford, was a farmer and an early settler of Minneapolis, Minnesota, where his death occurred. He was of old Puritan stock and the great grandfather of our subject came from England.
Charles B. Hosford was the fourth of a family of six children, and he was reared and educated in Illinois and attended the country schools. At the age of twenty years he started for himself at farming. He came to Wilkin county, Minnesota, in the spring of 1881, and during the same summer settled on a prairie farm and built a set of good farm buildings. He has continued his residence there and has improved a farm of six hundred and forty acres and of this has placed three hundred and twenty acres under high cultivation. He engages in mixed farming, grain and stock raising and has met with marked success in Minnesota and has acquired a valuable estate.
Mr. Hosford was married in Illinois in 1877 to Miss Sarah T. Brandon. Mrs. Hosford's father, Benjamin Brandon, was of old American stock and was a prosperous farmer of Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Hosford are the parents of four children, namely: John B., born in Illinois, is attending business college at Fergus Falls; Charles E., born in Illinois, is attending business college at Fergus Falls; Margaret A., born in Minnesota, is attending school at Minneapolis; and Ralph B., also born in Minnesota. Mr. Hosford is a man of broad mind and lends his influence for the upbuilding of his community and is not affiliated with any party politically, casting his vote independent of party. He has served as chairman of the township board, treasurer of the school board, and township clerk for the past six or seven years.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 341-42.
Balthasar Hosli, who resides on his valuable farm southwest of Taylors Falls, is one of the old settlers of Chisago county, and is recognized as an enterprising farmer and worthy citizen.
Mr. Hosli was born in Switzerland in 1848. His father was the owner of a palm garden in Switzerland. He served in the Swiss army. Our subject was reared in a village in his native land and received the advantages of a good common school education. At the age of seventeen years he began to make his own way. He had a small store in his home town and also traveled through the country selling clothing, cutlery, etc., and continued in this business until twenty-four years of age. He came to America in 1873, landing in New York City, and went direct to Stillwater, where he worked in a meat market for seven years. He went to Chisago county in 1880, and for five years conducted a meat market in Taylors Falls, and also did an extensive business in stock shipping. He disposed of his business in 1885, and the same year moved to his present home farm. This tract of land he purchased in 1884, and it had but few improvements on at the time of purchase by him. He has continued farming there since that date, and is now the owner of one hundred and thirty acres of good land, of which about eighty-five acres are cultivated and the rest is pasture and timber. A tornado completely demolished his barn August 24, 1900. Fifteen tons of baled hay was in the structure and this was badly damaged. Shingles from the barn were carried as far as Taylors Falls, garden stuff was uprooted and a large oak tree in the yard was torn up. Mr. Hosli engages in stock raising and general farming. He is interested largely in Short Horn cattle and Poland China hogs. He has a well improved farm and has met with marked success in his farming operations.
Mr. Hosli was married in Switzerland in 1869 to Miss Anna Hefte. Mrs. Hosli was born in Switzerland, and died in Minnesota in 1885. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hosli, namely: Henry, John and William, all of whom were born in America. Mr. Hosli was married to Farena Gloner in 1886. Mrs. Hosli was born in Switzerland and came to America in 1873. She settled in Stillwater and there her former husband died. She is the mother of one child, a daughter, Susie, who is now married and resides in Duluth. Mr. Hosli is a well known early settler of Chisago county and is interested in the upbuilding of the better interests of his community and has aided materially in the development of the agricultural resources of his township and county. He is a Republican in political sentiment.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 727-28.
Among the public officials of the city of Duluth, Minnesota, none is better known or more highly respected and esteemed than T. W. Hugo. This gentleman is mayor and faithfully discharges the duties of his office and well merits the enviable reputation which he has.
Mr. Hugo was born in Cornwall, England, in 1848. His father, Nicholas Hugo, was a ship carpenter. He came to America with his family in 1850, and is now a resident of Kingston, Ontario. He served as warrant officer in the English navy.
Hon. Mr. Hugo was raised at Kingston, Ontario, attending the grammar schools there. He received a scholarship which paid his tuition fees later. He served an apprenticeship at the Kingston Foundry and Machine Shops of five years and had learned the trade of machinist when he attained his majority. He then secured a position as steamboat engineer and continued in this work until 1880. He visited all the lake ports on the Great Lakes and those on the St. Lawrence River as far as Montreal. He went to Duluth in 1880 and secured a position with what is now the Consolidated Elevator Company, and assumed charge of their power plants in Duluth. This is the largest elevator company in the United States.
Mr. Hugo became identified with the public affairs of his city about 1890 and was elected alderman in that year. He held the office four years, three of which he was president of the council. He was director of the Chamber of Commerce four years, two years of which time he was president of that body. He was also director of the board of education and president of the same for two years. His advancement was rapid and in the spring of 1900 he was elected mayor of the city of Duluth. His faithfulness as a public official and his popularity are best evidenced by the fact that he was re-elected in 1901.
Mr. Hugo has two sons, Victor, chief inspector for the Hartford Boiler Insurance Company for the southwest district; and Rene, attending the State University at Minneapolis.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 717.
Constant industry, careful management and unswerving honesty are the secret of the noblest success possible on American soil. He who can work hard, plan and manage well, and stand "four-square to all the winds that blow," may be rich or poor, but he will be honored and respected by all who know him. Such a man is James A. Hurley, of Lake Shore township, Lac-qui-parle county, one of the older residents and earlier settlers of this part of Minnesota. While still a young man, he has borne his part in the making of southwestern Minnesota, and well merits an honored place among its pioneers and early settlers.
Mr. Hurley was born in Rock county, Wisconsin, May 26, 1857, where his father was engaged in farming. Later the family moved to Pierce county, in the same state, and in 1901, the father removed to Ward county, North Dakota, where he is still following farming. The Hurleys come of old Irish blood, and exhibit the best characteristics of the race.
James A. Hurley was the first-born in a family of five children, and secured the greater part of his education in the common schools of Pierce county. In 1877 he struck out in life for himself, and coming into Lac-qui-parle county, took up the farm where he is now found, as a pre-emption claim. Here he built a claim shanty and a sod barn, and did his first breaking with oxen, although he had horses with which he drove all the way from Wisconsin across the country.
Mr. Hurley was married in 1883 to Miss Lena Olson. She was born February 10, 1858, and has presented her husband with a family of four children; their names and dates of birth are as follows: Leo R., born October 22, 1884; Vincent A., born October 21, 1886; Blanche E., born April 3, 1890; and Claude A., born July 13, 1892. All these were born on the Lake Shore farm, and are a bright and charming set of children.
Mr. Hurley is a Democrat, and has served as township clerk, treasurer and on the town board. He has also been constable and has filled other minor positions. He has gradually built up his landed possessions until he now owns over six hundred acres, mostly under high cultivation. His buildings are good, and the grove which he started from the beginning more than ordinarily thrifty. His entire plant attracts the admiring gaze of the traveller, and he readily recognizes the fact that here lives a man who is a good farmer and a public-spirited citizen.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 411-12.
There were 1541 visitors from 5 Nov 2005 to 4 Jul 2011. There were 1603 visitors to the "H" page from 29 May 2001 until its split to this page on 5 Nov 2005.
Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN