John P. Kanthak is the name of a popular and successful blacksmith at Nassau, Lac-qui-parle county, who has made himself known as a master of his trade throughout a wide section of western Minnesota. Personally he is a square and upright man, kind and courteous in his manners, and strictly honest in his dealings with his customers. It is little wonder that his patronage is large and continually increasing.
Mr. Kanthak was born in Germany June 21, 1865, where his father, Frank, was a blacksmith before him. The father brought his family in 1882, and for a time followed his trade in the city of Chicago. Later on he moved to Minnesota and bought a farm in Lac-qui-parle county, on which he lived until his death.
John P. Kanthak was third in a family of six children. He secured his education in the schools of his native land, and accompanied his parents to this country. Under the able instruction of his father in early manhood he learned the trade of a blacksmith and to it brought strength, discipline and enthusiasm in a high degree. In 1892 he set up for himself in Nassau, and now has one of the best shops in the west.
Mr. Kanthak was married in 1886 to Miss Clara Pettitzke. She was born in Germany in 1863, and has become the mother of six bright and charming children: Frank, who was born August 21, 1887; Albert, born September 26, 1888; Lizzie, born March 20, 1892; Martha, born November 22, 1893; John, born April 28, 1896; and Mary, born July 4, 1899. Three of these were born in Lac-qui-parle county, and the other three in Illinois.
The subject of this writing is a Democrat, and has served on the town board. He was instrumental in the organization of the town, and has always taken an active interest in public affairs. He owns a brick building, in which he carries on his trade, and he has equipped this building with the most modern appliances of his calling so that whatever a patron demands in the way of up-to-date blacksmithing, can be frunished [sic] right here in Nassau.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 503.
Thomas H. Kaye, a prominent miller of Chisago county, is a man of wide experience in his line of work, and he has built up a prosperous business at Lindstrom, and is associated with C. A. Victor as proprietor of the Lindstrom Roller Mill.
Mr. Kaye was born on the Isle of Man, in 1865. His father, James Kaye, was a miller by trade, and followed the same throughout his career. He came to the United States in 1873 and settled in Wisconsin.
Our subject was the third in a family of seven children, and he was reared and educated in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He completed the common schools at the age of fifteen years, and then spent three years learning the miller's trade, after which he operated a mill at Faribault, Minnesota for one year. He then went to New York state, where he was assistant head miller in an eight hundred barrel mill at Attica. He remained there two years and then went to Stillwater, Minnesota, and was head miller for Isaac Staples for about six years and operated a mill of one hundred and twenty-five barrels capacity. He also followed his trade in Milwaukee and New Richmond, Wisconsin. He went to Lindstrom, Chicago county, in the summer of 1895, and erected the Lindstrom Roller Mill. After operating the came four years he disposed of the plant and went to North Branch, where he built and managed the North Branch Roller Mill for a year and a half. This mill was built for a farmer's stock company. In 1900 Mr. Kaye and C. A. Victor purchased the Lindstrom Roller Mill, and for the past two years our subject has had the operation of the same under his direct supervision, and he has accomplished good results through his skillful labor and management.
Mr. Kaye was married in 1887 to Miss Dora Zwetsch. Mrs. Kaye was born at Attica, New York, and is of German and American descent. To Mr. and Mrs. Kaye three children have been born, namely; Dora E., Harry L. and Marian M. Mr. Kaye is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a stanch Republican and takes an active part in all local affairs. He has served as a member of the village council and aids in all possible ways in the development and upbuilding of the financial and social interests of the community.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 411.
Although this gentleman has been a resident of Aitkin comparatively few years, he has become widely known as a medical practitioner of remarkable skill and has built up an extensive practice. He is thoroughly equipped by excellent training for his profession and is a gentleman of intelligence and true worth as a physician and fellow citizen. He has a pleasant home and is one of the influential men of his community.
Dr. Kelly was born in Michigan in 1874, and was reared there in Towas City. His father was of Scotch-Irish descent. The great-grandfather came to America with the British army in the war of 1812. The grandmother Kelly, whose maiden name was Ebert, was from Knickerbocker stock. The mother of our subject was of old Colonial stock. The family came to America in 1632 and settled at Ipswich, Massachusetts. They were in the Revolutionary war, the war of 1812, and the paternal ancestors of our subject also served in the latter war. He also had ancestors in the Mexican war and an uncle in the Civil war, the latter dying in the prison at Richmond.
Dr. Kelly attended the common schools of Towas and later entered the High School at East Saginaw, Michigan, and completed a course in this institution. He then attended the medical department of the State University at Ann Arbor and graduated from the institution in 1897. He established himself for the practice of his profession at West Farmington, Ohio, and continued there one year. He located in Aitkin, Minnesota, in 1898, and at once opened his office there and has since built up a lucrative and extensive practice. He selected his location careful1y and settled there with a determination to succeed and make his way to the front rank of the fraternity of which he is a member, and it is safe to assert that he has rapidly gained a footing and to assure him of speedy success. Dr. Kelly does not interest himself to any great degree in the political affairs of his community, and does not seek public preferment, but he is interested in the welfare of Aitkin and is identified with the Republican party. He is a member of the village board of health.
Dr. Kelly was married in the spring of 1898 to Miss Mary Haine, of West Farmington, Ohio. Our subject is prominent in secret society affairs, and holds membership in the Masonic fraternity, Modern Woodmen of America and Good Samaritans.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 185.
Edward B. Kenefic, cashier of the Kent State Bank, of Kent, Minnesota, is one of the rising young business men of Wilkin county. He has the management of the intricate affairs of the institution with which he is connected and is a gentleman of ability and excellent business foresight, and has succeeded in placing the bank upon a sound financial footing. He has gained the confidence of his fellow-men and is deservedly held in high esteem as a business man and citizen.
Mr. Kenefic was born in St. Lawrence county, New York, in 1871. His father, Edmund J. Kenefic, was a farmer and stock buyer. He was one of the pioneer settlers of North Dakota and was engaged in farming near Devil's Lake for thirteen years and owned a farm of eight hundred acres.
Our subject was the youngest child and only son of five children, and he came west with his parents in 1886. He was reared in North Dakota and was educated in the country schools and in the Devil's Lake High School. He began his business career by buying grain for the Minneapolis and Northern Elevator Company, and was agent for this company at Michigan City during the fall of 1895. He was stationed at Willow City during 1896, '97 and '98, and then until June 1, 1902, was purchasing grain for this company at Kent, spending seven years with this company. In the summer of 1902 he, with A. W. L. Woodland and Howard Dykeman, organized the Kent State Bank, and in July, 1902, this institution opened for business with a paid in capital of $10,000. The following officers were chosen: President, F. E. Kenasten; vice-president A. W. L. Woodland; and cashier, Edward B. Kenefic. Mr. Kenefic has been in control of the affairs of the institution since its organization, and he has so carefully looked after every detail of the business that the bank is now recognized as one of the sound financial concerns of that part of the state.
Mr. Kenefic was married in June, 1901, to Lizzie Rodemacher, a native of Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Kenefic are the parents of one child, a daughter, who bears the name of Annie.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 741.
John Kibler, who is widely known as one of the old and highly respected residents of the township of Agassiz, Lac-qui-parle county, has passed through all the stress and strain of pioneering in southwestern Minnesota, and is now enjoying that rest and peace that attend a long and useful career. He was born in Switzerland in 1837, where his father, Joachim, followed farming all his life, and died not many years ago. John Kibler was born with a stout and sturdy constitution, and when not more than ten years of age was doing the work of a man on the farm at home. When he reached the age of twenty-one years he began working for the neighboring farmers, and was engaged in this capacity for the ensuing ten years. In 1868, when he had reached the age of thirty-one, he sought a home in the United States, entering this country in New York city, and making his way at once to Minneapolis, where he spent four months. The next two years he was employed on a farm in Hennepin county, and for the next two years on a farm on Richfield Prairie, in Hennepin county, Minnesota. In 1872 Mr. Kibler, attracted by the prospect of a free farm in the next two years on a farm on Richfield Prairie, he took up a homestead claim, at once entering upon its development with characteristic enthusiasm. A claim shanty, 10 by 10 feet, was put up by him, and also a sod barn. His first breaking was done by cattle, and all the experiences of pioneer life, both bright and sad, were his.
Mr. Kibler was married in 1869, Miss Annie Anderson, a native of Sweden, becoming his bride. When she was eighteen years of age she left her native country, and came to this country locating at St. Paul. To their union have come nine children: Henry, Charley, Emma, Bertha, Annie, who is married, John, Mary, Rosina, and Edward. They were all born in Lac-qui-parle county, and are a credit to any parentage.
In politics Mr. Kibler is associated with the Republican party, and has been called upon to serve his community as justice of the peace.
When Mr. Kibler first located on his present home the nearest town was Benson, forty-five miles distant, and to that point he made many trips with his oxen, consuming four days on the journey. Today he owns six hundred acres of fine farm land, and has given his sons over three hundred acres. The greater part of his land is under active cultivation, and the rest devoted to grass and pasture. Upon the farm he has a fine set of buildings, and his farm is referred to as one of the best kept in the county. Personally his years and character alike command respect, and he is very properly entitled to a leading place among the lives of those who have reclaimed this country from the wilderness.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 338-39.
James F. Kiern, who is one of the bright and progressive young farmers of Lac-qui-parle county, Minnesota, is in charge of his mother's place near Marietta, is known far and wide as one of the most reliable and trustworthy men of his community. He was born September 4, 1880, and his father Francis Kiern, who was proud of his inherited French blood, came to Lac-qui-parle county in the early 'seventies. Here he settled on a homestead, put up a claim shanty and a sod barn, and devoted himself to the improvement of his farm. At first he did his farming with horses, but later used cattle. In due time he proved up his claim, and when he died, in March, 1886, he left a good estate. He was a Republican, and did much in the first organization of the county.
James F. Kiern was reared to manhood on the old homestead, and received such education as the frontier schools of the day afforded. As the oldest son, much of the care and labor of the farm fell upon his young shoulders, and when he was only thirteen years of age he had to take the place of a man on the farm, on account of the death of his father.
Mr. Keirne [sic] was married September 17, 1900, to Miss Mary Geror, a native of the village of Lac-qui-parle, where she was born about 1883, her father being one of the early settlers of this county. She has presented her husband with one child, a bright and winsome daughter, Gracie M., wo [sic] was born June 17, 1902, on the farm in Lac-qui-parle county.
Mr. Kiern is a Republican, and has been honored by his neighbors with the election to the position of school clerk. He has also served as constable.
As a farmer Mr. Kiern has built up the old claim to large proportions, and is now operating four hundred acres, of which three hundred is under the plow and harrow, the balance being devoted to grass and pasture. He has secured good buildings, and takes a leading position in agricultural circles. On the farm he has had with him three brothers and four sisters, and two of his brothers are now on the place with him. As noted elsewhere this farm belongs to Mrs. Thornburg of Marietta, but her sons are afforded every opportunity to prosper in its care and cultivation.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 540-41.
Frederick O. King, one of the best known instructors of Minnesota, is superintendent of the Park Rapids public schools and is a thorough educator and devoted to his work in this line.
Mr. King was born in Fillmore county, Minnesota, April 9, 1869. His father, Richard S. King, was born in Iowa, and the mother of our subject, Lois (Morrill) King, was a native of Canada. Mr. King left his native county when he was but an infant and resided in Martin county. He worked on the home farm and attended the common schools there and later attended the Fairmont high school. After graduating from this institution he attended a private college at Dixon, Illinois, and from there entered the University of Minnesota at Minneapolis for special work. His first work as instructor of a graded school was at St. James, Minnesota, where he was assistant principal for one year, and he then went to Sherburne, Minnesota, and taught the high school there for two years. He located in Park Rapids in 1895, and has since been superintendent of the Park Rapids high public schools. This institution now enrolls five hundred students and ten teachers are employed in their instruction. The building is a fine structure and is well located in the eastern part of the town, and the school is fast becoming an important part of the educational system of Minnesota. The instruction under Prof. King is thorough and competent and he exerts every effort for the right development of the minds placed under his guidance. Prof. King owns a comfortable residence in the village of Park Rapids, and also one hundred and sixty acres of land in Ottertail county. These properties he has earned by his industrious and honest efforts, and is deservedly one of the esteemed and respected citizens of his community.
Prof. King was married, January 1, 1892, to Lydia Whitney. Mrs. King was born in Wisconsin July 4, 1869. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. King, upon whom they have bestowed the names of Morrill W. and Letha L. Prof. King is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Modern Woodmen of America. He and family are members of the Methodist church. Politically he is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 217.
John F. Kling, the pioneer merchant of Hasty, Minnesota, and the first postmaster of that village, has been a resident of Wright county for nearly fifteen years. His home is in section 16 of Silver Creek township.
Mr. Kling was born in Sweden, October 20, 1857, and was a son of Carl and Margaret (Larson) Kling, both of whom were also natives of Sweden. Our subject came to America in 1880, locating in St. Paul, where he resided for ten years. He came to Wright county in 1890 and established the first store in Hasty. He now carries a complete stock of general merchandise valued at $2,000. He was instrumental in the establishment of the postoffice at Hasty as a fourth rate office in 1890.
Mr. Kling was married February 21, 1888, to Amanda L. Ahl, who was born in Sweden October 14, 1864. To Mr. and Mrs. Kling five children have been born, namely: Agnes, Mable, Florence, Fred and Grace. Mr. Kling is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America at Clearwater and is a communicant of the Swedish Lutheran church.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 812.
C. C. Knappen, the proprietor and able editor of the People's Press, is one of the most energetic and progressive of Minnesota's newspaper men. He has a wide acquaintance and is universally esteemed and respected. He has devoted his life to newspaper work, and has been associated at different times with the metropolitan papers of the northwest. He is a gentleman of wide knowledge of men and the world, and his editorials evidence deep thought and a wide-awake interest in current topics. His office and plant is at Crookston, and he enjoys success in his work there.
Mr. Knappen was born in Poynette, Wisconsin, and received his early education in public schools. After taking up newspaper work he was engaged on the St. Paul Globe and the Minneapolis Tribune until 1879, since which date he has been identified with the Red River valley, being located at different points. The paper of which he is at present editor and proprietor, the People's Press, is one of the best papers of the locality and the job office of the plant is fitted with all modern appliances and equipment for neat and prompt service, and Mr. Knappen gives his special attention to this branch of the work.
The Red River valley has long felt the need of a local magazine, and for some time Mr. Knappen has had in contemplation the founding of a publication of this character; and the result has been the recent issue of the Gateway Magazine, which appeared with the new century. The publication is devoted to historical, industrial, and personal sketches, and contains about thirty pages of excellent reading matter. It is one of the most handsome publications of its kind ever issued, and is arranged in perfect literary style, and is artistically illustrated. The enterprise is a worthy one and the support of all who are interested in the development and advancement of the Red river valley may be safely anticipated by its editor and publisher.
Mr. Knappen is a gentleman of untiring energy, is capable, and possessed of integrity of word and deed, and his success is well merited.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 192.
George W. Knox, one of the prominent merchants of Aitkin, has been associated with the commercial interests of that town for many years and enjoys success and the esteem of his fellows to a marked degree.
Mr. Knox was born on a farm in Adams county, Wisconsin, November 20, 1852. His Father, George Knox, was born in the state of New York, and was of Scotch blood. The family settled in America during the early colonial times and our subject is descended from the celebrated John Knox, of Scotland. The mother of our subject, who bore the maiden name of Julia A. Jackson, was of an early American family, some of the members of which served in the Revolutionary war, and her father, Daniel Johnson, served in the war of 1812.
Of a family of seven children, George Knox was the sixth in order of birth. He was reared on a farm to the age of seventeen years and received his early education in the country schools of his neighborhood. He then removed to Wisconsin with his parents and there attended the high school at Kilbourn, from which institution he graduated at the age of twenty years. He then engaged as clerk in a drug store and soon became a registered pharmacist. He followed the drug business until 1874, with the exception of a few months when he worked as clerk at Kilbourn City, Wisconsin. He and his brother drove overland to Oregon, taking five months in which to complete the journey. This was at the time of the Indian outbreak in the Black Hills, and several times during the trip they had exciting experiences on account of the red men. From Omaha they went with a large emigrant train and passed over the rest of their trip without any startling experiences. Our subject was engaged as bookkeeper at Boise City, Idaho, for a short time, and in 1876 he returned to Aitkin, Minnesota, which was then but a small town of but a half-dozen buildings and was surrounded by timber. Mr. Knox became bookkeeper for his brother in the firm of Potter & Knox, the brother, C. C. Knox, having been located there for some time. He worked with him until 1877, and then engaged in business for himself in partnership with J. W. Wakefield, the firm being known as Knox & Wakefield. This partnership continued a short time, and then a brother of our subject, D. J., joined with our subject in the purchase of Mr. Wakefield's interest, and the business was conducted under the firm name of Knox Brothers. They carried a complete stock of general merchandise and the first year did an extensive business, amounting to two hundred and fifteen thousand dollars. They started with a small capital and bought the goods on time. A branch store was established at Brainerd in 1879, and was there conducted under the firm name of Knox Brothers & Hartley. Our subject assumed the management of the store and business at Brainerd. This business was sold in 1881. Mr. Knox returned to Aitkin from Brainerd in 1881. Mr. Richardson became a partner in the business in 1879, and the business was conducted at Aitkin by Knox Brothers & Richardson. Mr. Richardson later sold his interest to Mr. Dorman, of Minneapolis. Owing to ill health, our subject went to Florida in 1881, and while there the business was disposed of to W. Potter & Company. Mr. Knox remained in Florida a year and a half, and in 1883 returned to Aitkin and again established a mercantile business there. In 1885 C. P. DeLaittre became interested with him. They continued a prosperous business together until 1894. During this partnership F. M. Shook became interested in the business, and Mr. Knox finally purchased the interests of his partners and since January, 1894, the business has been owned and conducted by him. He has a store, 28x100 feet, with a leanto, 122x25 feet, and conducts one of the largest mercantile establishments of the town. He has always done considerable jobbing, and has prospered in his business ventures. He is also interested in farm lands and is interested in the lumber business to some extent. He has a jobbing house at St. Paul and handles teas, coffee and extracts.
Mr. Knox was married, in 1880, to Miss Ella H. Smith, a native of Ohio. Mrs. Knox's father was a hardware merchant of St. Cloud, Minnesota, and he was of German descent. Mrs. Knox was engaged in teaching in the high school at Brainerd at the time of her marriage. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Knox, Walter, who is now attending school at Minneapolis. Mr. Knox has always taken an active part in local affairs. He served as deputy county auditor from 1876 to 1878, and was then elected and served one term as county auditor. He also held the office of postmaster at Aitkin about four years. He was county superintendent of schools for a time and is interested in all educational movements. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, with which order he has been connected since 1880, and is also a member of the Knights of Pythias. Politically he is a stanch Republican and an active worker for party principles.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 163-64.
John Krauth, one of the rising young men of Traverse county, is an able representative of the farming community of Croke township. He is proprietor of one of the well developed farms of that region, and has acquired the same through his industry and careful management.
Mr. Krauth was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, in 1869. His father, Herman Krauth, was born in Germany, at Nieder Jissen, in the Province of Rhine. He came to America in 1862 and settled in Wisconsin, where his marriage occurred. He worked for others and later rented a farm and after one year spent in Chicago was foreman on a stock farm for ten years. He lived five years on a rented farm and in 1892 came to Traverse county, Minnesota, and purchased a farm in Croke township. He has become one of the worthy citizens of his township and has served as township treasurer. He is a stanch Democrat, politically.
John Krauth was the second in a family of ten children, and after reaching his majority he wanted to get a farm for himself in the west and consequently came to Traverse county in 1892. He worked at farm labor and also worked with his father on the home farm until 1896. The family joined him and the father on the farm in 1893. His brother, Anthony Krauth, was a farmer of Traverse county, but is now a merchant of Gary, South Dakota. He was also a grain buyer in Minnesota, and was a teacher for some time.
John Krauth purchased land for himself about 1897 and began the improvement of the same. He is now the owner of two hundred and forty acres of land, and this tract he has thoroughly improved with good buildings, and has placed the land under high cultivation. He devotes his attention to his farm work and has met with marked success.
Mr. Krauth was married in 1896 to Miss Annie Zabell. Mrs. Krauth's father, John Zabell, is an old settler of Traverse county. Mr. and Mrs. Krauth are the parents of two children, Mary M. and Joseph P. Mr. Krauth is chairman of the board of supervisors in his township and school clerk in his district. He is independent in politics, and lends his influence for good government.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 327.
John C. Krueger, who settled in Wilkin county in the early days, prior to the organization of Mitchell township, in which he resides, has identified himself closely with the history of that region. He is a farmer of means and has acquired his possessions in Minnesota through honest industry and good business management. He has become one of the well known men of his community and commands the respect and confidence of his associates.
Mr. Krueger was born in Bromberg, Posen, Germany, in 1839. His father, also named John Krueger, was a hotel keeper of Germany and died in his native land. Our subject was later reared on a farm and at the age of seventeen years he entered the German army in the fall of 1857, in the Fifth Artillery Brigade, serving three years. During the winter of 1859 he was permitted to enter in the military school and in the spring of 1859 he was permitted to take examination as sergeant, which he passed fairly and faithfully. In the fall of 1859 he received his distinction as sergeant and got his discharge in the fall of 1860. He came to America in 1862, landing at New York City June 24, and he came direct to Wisconsin, where friends were living. He bought forty acres of farm land in Waushara county, Wisconsin, and spent fourteen years on this farm. In 1876 he went to Mower county, Minnesota, and engaged in farming there four years, but owing to failure of crops made nothing. He came to Wilkin county with some stock and horses in 1880 and the same year took a homestead in section 24 of Mitchell township. The family went to their new home by team from Mower county, and spent two weeks on the trip. Our subject made this trip in the early days. His first crop in 1882 was poor and he did not get seed, and was obliged to work for others to earn a living. He has steadily improved his farm and now owns four hundred and forty acres of valuable land, after having sold a tract containing eighty acres and giving his eldest son a farm of one hundred and sixty acres. His residence is one of the largest in this part of the county and is a convenient and comfortable two-story structure. He also has a large barn, granary with leanto, and a set of good farm buildings generally. He has some fruit on the place and a fine grove. He has a complete set of machinery, including a 25 horsepower steam threshing rig, and has met with pronounced success in his agricultural pursuits.
Mr. Krueger was married in his native land, immediately prior to leaving for America, to Miss Minnie Steinke. Mrs. Krueger's father was a blacksmith by trade, and he came to America and located in Wisconsin, later removing to Minnesota, where his death occurred. He was an old settler of this state. Mrs. Krueger died in southeastern Minnesota, leaving four children, namely: Delia, Hulda, Emma, and Fred. Mr. Krueger's mother lived with him and his family till she died of old age in 1884 in Wilkin county, Minnesota. Mr. Krueger was later married to Johannah Temmrick. Mrs. Krueger was born in Germany. Two of her brothers are old settlers of Minnesota. To Mr. and Mrs. Krueger four children have been born, namely; George, Agnes, William and Della. Mr. Krueger has always taken active interest in local public affairs and has served for the past eighteen years as township clerk. He was here when Mitchell township was organized, and was chairman of the first township board. He was elected county commissioner in 1890 and served two years. Politically he is a Democrat.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 771.
Joseph Kunshier, Jr., classed among the rising young farmers of Anoka county, Minnesota, has acquired a valuable estate in section 11, of Columbus township. He has resided there for many years and is widely and favorably known.
Mr. Kunshier was born in Austria, Germany, in 1871. His father, Joseph Kunshier, was married in Germany and came to America in 1884. He settled at St. Paul, where he lived two years and in 1886 he located in Anoka county. He settled on a farm in section 2, Columbus township, and lived in a log house for several years. He had no teams for two or three years and for two years had but one horse. He has built up a good farm and is now one of the well-to-do men of Anoka county.
Joseph Kunshier, Jr., remained on the home farm until 1894, when he purchased his present farm on time, in section 11, of Columbus township. For three years he lived in a half finished house and had a small log barn with room for two horses and a cow. He is now the owner of a farm of one hundred and twenty acres, with seventy-eight acres cleared for cultivation. This he has cleared since residing thereon. He has a comfortable residence, large barn, good granary, hen house, sheds, corn crib and all buildings necessary for conducting a modern farm. His entire possessions he has acquired by his labors and good management, supplemented by his strict honesty of word and deed.
Mr. Kunshier was married in 1894 to Theresa Grace, a native of Germany. Mrs. Kunshier's father became one of the early settlers of Anoka county, and has resided there since 1893. To Mr. and Mrs. Kunshier five children have been born, and are named as follows: Edward, Carrie, Francis, George and Florence, all of whom were born on the home farm in Anoka county. Mr. Kunshier is a Republican in political sentiment and he lends his influence for the upbuilding of the better interests of his community.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 671-72.
There were 1203 visitors from 5 Nov 2005 to 4 Jul 2011. There were 652 visitors from 17 Jun 2001 to 5 Nov 2005.
Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN