Alfred Labine, residing on section 35, of Parker township, is a member of one of the oldest families of Marshall county. His father and family located there in early days, and by their thrift and good management became owners of well cultivated tracts and citizens in whom the community found worthy support. Our subject became the owner of one of the valuable estates of that locality and annually operates five hundred and eighty acres of land. Mr. Labine was a native of Canada, and was born October 30, 1861, and was the fifth in a family of eleven children.
The parents of our subject, Modest and Ozine (Desmarais) Labine, were natives of Canada, and the maternal grandparents were natives of France. The family came to Michigan in 1871, where the father worked in the iron mines, and then, owing to failing health, he returned to Canada with his family. The sons later induced him to try a home in the Red river valley, and in the spring of 1879 the family came to Argyle, Minnesota, where they joined friends. The father chose a home on section 2, in Bloomer township, on the south bank of Middle river, and there the parents spent their remaining days. The father died August 7, 1881. The mother survived him many years and passed away April 18, 1894. The sons assisted the father in the cultivation and improvement of the home farm, and after attaining their majority made homes for themselves. Our subject purchased the land he now owns in Parker township in 1887, and laid the foundation for his present comfortable home. The Labine family is known as the oldest settlers of Bloomer township still residing in Marshall county. They have not acquired their estates without many hardships and struggles, and it is mainly through the enterprise and integrity of Mr. Labine that he is now one of the fortunate owners of property in that region. He has become thoroughly familiar with times and seasons and uses only the most approved methods and machinery, and has met with unbounded success in his farming operations and may review his labors in Minnesota with justifiable pride.
Mr. Labine was married, in 1884, to Miss Julia Verboncoeur. Seven children have been born to bless this union, namely: Aurora, Lillian, Philip, Clara, Stella, Lawrence and Isabel. Mr. Labine is a member of the Roman Catholic church, and politically he is a Democrat. He has always taken a commendable interest in local public affairs and became identified with the new party movement and has aided in the organization of the new forces, but he does not seek public office, and is deservedly held in high esteem by all with whom he has to do.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 275.
Charles Langevin, a prominent resident of Wilkin county, Minnesota, resides near the village of Kent on his fine farm. He is a gentleman of broad mind and good business capacity and has prospered in his chosen calling.
Mr. Langevin was born on a farm in Quebec, Canada, October 10, 1832. His father, Andrew Langevin, was born in Canada and was of French blood. The family have resided in Canada for several generations.
Of a family of eleven children our subject was the ninth in order of birth. He came to Maine in 1849 when about sixteen years of age and later came west to Wisconsin, locating at Chippewa Falls, where he began lumbering. He started as a laborer in the woods and finally did logging and contract work. He was interested in a sawmill for ten years. Twenty-seven summers he spent as pilot on the Chippewa and Mississippi Rivers and he is thoroughly familiar with these rivers and the latter as far down as St. Louis. He sold his Wisconsin interests in 1882 and came to Red Lake Falls, Minnesota, where he conducted a general store for ten years and built up a good business. He was also a director of the first bank in Red Lake Falls. He then conducted a grocery business in Superior, Wisconsin, for six years and in 1897 came to Wilkin county and bought a farm in section 11 of McCauleyville township, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres. He now conducts a farm of three hundred and twenty acres, one hundred and sixty acres of which Mrs. Langevin took as a homestead. She settled on the land in 1883 and was among the pioneers of that region, locating there when Ft. Abercrombie was a government fort. Mr. Langevin has erected a set of good farm buildings on the land and has placed valuable improvements thereon, and now has a good farm from which he derives a good income.
Mr. Langevin was married in Wisconsin in 1861 to Miss Vitaline Dufort, and of this marriage three children were born, namely: Charles, Joseph, and Mary Ellen. Mrs. Langevin died in 1886. Mr. Langevin was married to Mrs. Lucinda Langevin in 1889, and of this union one child has been born, namely: Cecelia Isabelle, who was born at Superior, Wisconsin. Mrs. Langevin is a daughter of William Guiles, a native of New York, of English stock. She was previously married to Joseph Langevin, a brother of our subject, and of this marriage she is the mother of two children, namely: Hector A. and Willie A. Her former husband was a government scout and was in Wilkin county prior to the Indian outbreak. He traveled through this region to Winnipeg, Canada, as a guide and soldier. In 1870 he settled at McCauleyville and opened the first general store in Wilkin county. He conducted this business until his death in 1882. He was one of the leading old settlers of this locality.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 750.
Andrew M. Larson, whose valuable estate is found in Lake Valley township, is one of the substantial citizens of Traverse county. He has a wide circle of friends and has gained a high standing.
Mr. Larson was born in Dalarne, Sweden, on a farm in 1853. His father was a farmer by occupation. He came to America in 1879 and settled in Traverse county. He died in 1890, and his death was deeply felt by the community, as he was one of the old settlers and had gained a host of friends.
Andrew M. Larson was reared in his native land and there engaged in farming. He came to America with his wife and children in 1889, and came direct from Boston to Traverse county, Minnesota. He purchased a farm in section 10 of Lake Valley township, which was all prairie land and had no improvements thereon. He continued the development of the place and is now the owner of a fine estate covering three hundred and fifty acres. Of this he has two hundred and sixty acres under cultivation. He engages in grain raising almost exclusively, and his land is made to yield abundantly. He is also interested in diarying [sic] and this branch of his farm work is a profitable one. His residence is a model farm dwelling and is a commodious structure of modern style and finish, the largest farm house in the township. Hunters from the eastern states find this a comfortable and pleasant stopping place when on their hunting expeditions. The family is a hospitable one and every comfort is provided for guests that can be desired.
Mr. Larson was married in 1879 to Miss Betsey Olson, who was born in Sweden, where her father was engaged in farming. Mr. and Mrs. Larson are the parents of three children, namely: Lewis J., Gertrude and Edward. The two older children were born in Sweden and the youngest child was born in America. Mr. Larson is a gentleman of broad mind and is progressive and energetic and well merits the success which has attended his efforts in Traverse county.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 639.
August Larson, one of the most extensive farmers of Traverse county, resides in Folsom township, where he has been associated with the farming interests for nearly a quarter of a century. He is a gentleman of untiring energy and perseverance and his character is beyond question.
Mr. Larson was born in Denmark in 1846. His father, Lars Larson, was of old Danish descent. He followed farming in Denmark, and died there in 1858. Our subject was reared in his native land and attended the common schools. After he attained the age of fifteen years he made his own way by working at farm labor and in 1873 decided to try his fortune in America. He came to Pierce county, Wisconsin, where he lived for six years. In 1879 he removed to Traverse county and took a homestead and tree claim. He built a claim shanty and a straw shed and at once began the improvement of his farm. His nearest market was Morris and he made the trip in three days with grain a distance of fifty miles. He is the owner of eight hundred and sixty acres of land, of which five hundred acres is under cultivation and the rest is devoted to grass and pasture. He engages in diversified farming and has about one hundred head of cattle. He has erected a complete set of substantial farm buildings and has a good windmill and a fine grove, the trees for which he planted during his early residence in Traverse county.
Mr. Larson was married in 1874 to Mary Johnson. Mrs. Larson was born in Sweden in 1848 and came to America in 1873. Her father, Andrew Johnson, was a native of Sweden. He came to America in 1882 and settled in Traverse county, Minnesota. He died in 1897. To Mr. and Mrs. Larson six children have been born, namely: Emma, Emil, Annie, William, August, Jennie. The oldest two were born in Wisconsin and the other children were born in Traverse county. The eldest son, Emil, operates one hundred and sixty acres of land in Traverse county, and is the owner of a tract of one hundred and sixty acres in Canada. Mr. Larson has been chairman of the township board and is a prominent citizen of Folsom township. He is a Republican politically.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 460.
Emil A. Larson, a progressive and intelligent young farmer of Hayes township, has a pleasantly situated residence about four miles north of the village of Murdock, near the main road, on section 18, and he owns and cultivates one hundred and sixty acres of as good land as is to be found in Swift county.
Mr. Larson was born in northern Sweden October 28, 1863, and is one of the youngest members of the family of the late John Larson, Sr., and Christine, his wife, a sketch of whose lives is given in this volume under the head of John Larson, Jr., a brother of our subject.
When the parents emigrated from Sweden to the United States in 1870 Emil Larson accompanied them, and was then a boy of seven years. During their brief stay in Illinois, he attended the public schools and renewed his studies after reaching Swift county, Minnesota, in 1872. He assisted with the work on his father's farm until reaching manhood and then purchased land which he later sold. In 1890 he bought the fine farm upon which his residence is now located and has brought it to a state of high cultivation. He erected a well appearing, commodious, farm dwelling, built a modern barn, and other outbuildings, and planted a great number of trees, including fifty maple trees, which are thrifty and in keeping with the many other improvements of the place. He follows general farming and has a small herd of cattle and horses, sufficient for the work of the place. Modern machinery on the farm is well housed and cared for, and everything denotes the watchful eye of the tactful proprietor who is a thorough master of his business. While attending strictly to agricultural pursuits Mr. Larson has also become a stockholder in the Murdock Creamery, also a stockholder in the Kerkhoven and Hayes Farmers' Insurance Company, and a director in the Murdock and Carlson Telephone Company, whose lines connect with his home and is for the service of farmers generally along the route.
Mr. Larson enjoys the comforts of life in his pleasant home, but is unmarried, and it is presumed he will eventually choose a life companion. He is a member of the Swedish Lutheran church near by, and politically is a stanch Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 373.
What the earliest settlers of Wilkin county started in the way of agricultural development, the present generation is completing, and the pleasant homes of Wolverton township, and apparently prosperous farmers of this community evidence the fact that the work is being well done. The gentleman above named has been a resident of this locality comparatively few years, but he has rapidly gone to the front as a prosperous and industrious farmer, and is recognized as one of the worthy citizens of his township and county.
Mr. Larson was born in Norway, March 12, 1863. His father, Lars Jacobson, was a laborer in his native land and died in Norway in 1870. Our subject was the third of a family of five children, and during his boyhood he received a good common schooling. He began to work out at the age of thirteen years and worked on the farms of his neighborhood. He came to America in 1889, landing in Quebec, Canada. He came to Richland county, North Dakota, and there worked for others for about five years. He came to Wilkin county in 1897 and bought a farm in Wolverton township. He built a small shanty and a small barn and located there permanently. He has prospered and is now owner of one hundred and twenty acres of land. He has placed nearly the entire tract under plow and has erected good buildings on the place and now owns a comfortable home and has all machinery and equipment for conducting his farm. He has planted a fine grove of about two acres, and is a progressive and deservedly successful farmer.
Mr. Larson was married in 1899 to Miss Paulina Peterson. Mrs. Larson was born in Norway in 1880. Her father, Peter Peterson, followed farming in Norway and is still a resident of that country. Mr. and Mrs. Larson are the parents of one child, Benard, who was born November 16, 1902, on the home farm in Wilkin county. Mr. Larson is a Republican in political sentiment, but he takes no part in public affairs, devoting his time and attention to the building up of his home.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 666.
John Larson holds a prominent position among the best agriculturists of Swift county. His home is on section 12 of Kildare township, where he has been located for nearly a third of a century. His farm lands consist of three hundred acres in the home place. His well appointed residence, large barns and well cultivated fields bespeak the man of taste and progress, and no man stands higher in Swift county for honesty, industry and good fellowship than John Larson. He has recently sold one hundred and sixty acres on section 19, Hayes township, to his son, Alfred Larson.
Our subject was born on his father's farm in Sweden in 1849, his parents being John and Christine Larson. There were ten children born to this worthy couple, seven sons and three daughters, our subject being the eldest of the family. All are still living and all are residents of Swift county, Minnesota. Both parents are deceased, the mother passing away soon after coming to America in 1870, and the father following in 1896.
John Larson, Jr., as he was known during his father's lifetime, was educated in Sweden and was early initiated into the business of farming. When he reached the age of sixteen years, in 1848, he left home with a younger brother for the purpose of investigating agricultural conditions in the United States, preparatory to the immigration of his parents and the other members of the family. The two brothers, on landing, proceeded to Knox county, Illinois, and remained in the neighborhood of Galesburg two years, and being satisfied the outlook promised fairer in the far west, they wrote home their views of America, the result being the emigration of the entire family from Sweden. The boys in the meantime had worked hard and saved some money and joined the family group on their arrival and all proceeded to Swift county, Minnesota. The father and three sons, including our subject, each secured a homestead later of eighty acres each, John L., Jr., selecting his land on section 12, Kildare township, where he has since resided. He has from time to time purchased additional land, and has a compact farm of three hundred acres adjoining his residence. When he first settled on the place he built a small house and planted numerous trees, and today his home is commodious, well furnished and pleasantly located in a fine grove. Good barns for stock and grain, machinery sheds, and a windmill improve the appearance and utility of the place and the entire farm evidences comfort and prosperity. He and his late father were the first men in the township to erect windmills on their respective farms and Mr. Larson is the oldest living settler resident in Kildare township today. For fifteen years he owned and ran a horsepower threshing machine and was the first to operate one in his locality. He retired from the business when competition destroyed the profits, and is retired practically from hard labor, that feature being taken up by one of his sons. On the farm are forty head of cattle, twelve horses, one hundred hogs and a small flock of sheep, and all the appliances and machinery necessary for conducting an up-to-date remunerative farm.
Mr. Larson was married in 1880 to Christina Peterson, a daughter of Daniel and Annie Peterson. Her parents were natives of Sweden, but have been settlers of Chisago county, Minnesota, since 1853. Mrs. Larson was born in that place. Mr. and Mrs. Larson have a family of eight children, namely: Alfred, who assists his father in conducting the farm; Minnie; Mary; Lillie; Harry; Elmer; Reuben, and Ethel, who are receiving an education in the high school after passing the local public school. Mr. Larson assisted in the organization of the township and was the first town clerk. He was supervisor for many years and at the present time is a director on the school board. In politics he is a Republican and has served his party as a delegate in county conventions. He is a deacon in the Swedish Lutheran church and he and family are members of that denomination. On another page of this work will be found portraits of Mr. Larson and wife.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 744-47.
John L. Larson, one of the leading farmers of Traverse county, has built up a good home for himself and an enviable reputation while a resident of Lake Valley township.
Mr. Larson was born in Dalarne, Sweden, in 1853. His father was a farmer by occupation and passed away in Sweden. Of a family of nine children our subject was the fourth in order of birth. He was raised on the home farm and early became used to farm labor. He remained with his father until he attained his majority and then engaged in farming for himself. He spent his winters in the lumber woods and spent ten years in this business as contractor. In 1890 he left his native land with his wife and children and came to America, landing in New York city. He came direct to Wheaton, Minnesota, and settled on his present farm in section 3, of Lake Valley township. He proved his claim in 1896. This was wild prairie and for a house he had a building 12 by 24 feet and had a dugout for a stable. He had two teams of oxen and did all the breaking of his farm with oxen. He now owns three hundred and twenty acres of land, of which he has placed over two hundred acres under cultivation. His farm lies on the east shore of Lake Traverse and he has a comfortable residence pleasantly situated. He has a large barn and all necessary farm buildings and has met with marked success in Lake Valley township. He engages in wheat and stock raising and has twenty-three head of fine stock, including a Shorthorn bull. He has become one of the substantial farmers of that locality and has good business ability, and is recognized as an old settler.
Mr. Larson was married in Sweden in 1876 to Miss Annie Johnson. Mrs. Larson was born in Sweden and her father was a farmer by occupation. To Mr. and Mrs. Larson ten children have been born, who are named as follows: Louis, John, Ole, Alfred, Fred, Walter, Theodore, Gertrude, Anna and Minnie. Mr. Larson is a Republican in political sentiment. He keeps abreast of the times and lends his influence for the upbuilding of the better interests of his community.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 642.
Frank Lawrence, proprietor of one of the valuable farms of Connelly township, Wilkin county, is comparatively a recent settler of this locality, but he has become known as a worthy citizen and prosperous agriculturist. He is well versed in his calling, having followed agricultural pursuits from his early boyhood, and he is a man of strict integrity and persistent industry and well merits his high standing and financial success.
Mr. Lawrence was born in Richland county North Dakota, in 1874. His father, Mat Lawrence, of old Bohemian blood, was one of the first settlers of Richland county, North Dakota, and still resides there. Our subject was reared in Richland county and attended the common schools and at the age of twelve years became his father's assistant on the home farm. He here learned the art of farming and the training he received at the hands of his parent has been of practical use to him in his own farming operations. He remained on the home farm until 1901, when he came to Wilkin county, and purchased land. He now operates about four hundred acres annually and is owner of three hundred and thirty-seven acres of valuable land. On his home farm he has a complete set of good farm buildings and has a home of great comfort. He engages successfully in general farming and has all machinery of modern pattern and all necessary equipment for conducting a model farm.
Mr. Lawrence was married in 1901 to Miss Mary Holecek. Mrs. Lawrence was born in Richland county, North Dakota, in 1881. Her father, Frank Holecek, was a prosperous farmer of that county, and died there in 1901. Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence are the parents of one child, a son, Edwin, who was born in 1902. Mr. Lawrence is a Democrat politically, but takes no active part in local affairs, devoting his entire attention and time to the building up of his home, and surrounding himself and family with the comforts of a rural home.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 662.
Charles Lee, editor and proprietor of the "Morris Sun," published at Morris, Minnesota, is recognized as one of the leading newspaper men of Stevens county. He is a young man of marked ability, and has prospered in his chosen vocation.
Mr. Lee was born in Fergus Falls, Minnesota, in 1875. His father, Halvor E. Lee, was of old Norwegian blood, and was born in 1839. He came to America in 1860 and settled in southern Minnesota, where he followed farming. He moved to Otter Tail county, Minnesota, in 1869 and took a homestead. On this farm his family of five children were born and reared. They are named as follows; Carrie, Edward, Charles, Evan, and Georgia.
Our subject was reared and educated at Fergus Falls, and at the age of fifteen years entered the office of the "Fergus Falls Journal" to learn the printer's trade. He served an apprenticeship of three years and then came to Morris and worked on the "Tribune" for six months, after which he returned to his former position on the "Journal." He was thus engaged for a year and then made a second visit to Morris and in 1895 purchased an interest with W. J. Munro in the "Morris Sun." He purchased his partner's interest in the plant in 1902 and since August of that year he has had full ownership and control. He has one of the finest plants in the western part of the state, and edits a first class paper in every particular. The "Morris Sun" has a circulation of over one thousand copies weekly, and is one of the bright exchanges of that locality. It was established in November, 1883 and is the second oldest paper in Stevens county.
Mr. Lee is a staunch Republican and he supports the principles of his party and is an earnest worker through the columns of his paper for Republicanism. He is a gentleman of broad mind and strong convictions and is actively interested in the upbuilding and general welfare of the community where he has chosen his work. He has lived in Morris comparatively few years, but he has gained the confidence and esteem of the community and has met deserved success.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 355.
John E. Lee, one of the more prominent citizens of Hanley Falls, Minnesota, where he is respected alike for his character, thrift and good spirit, was born in Ulsaker, near Christiania, Norway, in 1862. His father, who was a laborer, came to this country with his family in 1866, and settled in Clayton county, Iowa, where he lived five years on a farm, and then removed to a point but a little west of Fargo, North Dakota, where he lived two years, after which he took himself and family to Minneapolis for the sake of the schooling. From Iowa into Dakota the family made the journey with oxen, and remember the trip notwithstanding its many difficulties very pleasantly. After completing his schooling Mr. Lee was given a position by the Hallock & Howard Lumber Company, at Denver, Colorado, where he spent fourteen years in their employ, and soon rose to have charge of their shipping department.
Mr. Lee came to Hanley Falls in 1900, where he bought a store and opened the first fur store in the place. He also does undertaking and is a wide awake and pushing business man.
Mr. Lee was married in Denver, and his wife who, died in Hanley Falls in the spring of 1903, left him with two children, George and Roy. He is a Republican, and is postmaster of Hanley Falls, to which he was appointed January 16, 1901. He was chosen president of the village council in 1903, and has taken an active and leading part in local affairs from the time of his coming.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 368.
William H. Lee, a prosperous and highly respected farmer of Clearwater township, has been identified with the farming interests of Wright county during his entire career. His home is on Section 22, where he has a well improved farm.
Mr. Lee was born in Clearwater township, Wright county, Minnesota, March 21, 1869. His father, James Lee, was born in Delaware, and the mother, Rebecca (Betcham) Lee, was born in Ohio. The father took a preemption to land in section 22 of Clearwater township in 1855, and built a log shanty thereon. He used ox teams in the early days here. On this farm our subject was born and reared, attending the common schools. He assisted his father in the management of the home farm until the death of the latter in 1899, and our subject is now owner of the farm consisting of two hundred and eight acres. He has one hundred and twenty acres under plow and the rest is devoted to meadow, pasture and timber. He has a good eight-room house and a large barn, windmill and a plentiful supply of farm machinery. He engages in general farming and keeps about five horses and twenty or more head of cattle.
Mr. Lee was married in 1897 to Anna Kothman, who was born in Wright county, Minnesota, in August, 1868. Three children have been born of this union, namely: Catherine R., Walter William and James Philip. Mr. Lee has served as school clerk for four years, and he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 806-07.
Frank S. Leffingwell, county sheriff of Benton county, Minnesota, is one of the prominent men of that region. He has resided there for many years and is held in the highest esteem by his fellows.
Mr. Leffingwell was born in Wisconsin, November 16, 1868. His father, Seth Leffingwell, was born in Pennsylvania, and his mother Helen (Weston) Leffingwell, was a native of Vermont. Our subject was reared in Walworth county, Wisconsin, and received his high school education in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. He then served an apprenticeship of three years in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, as a cutter of stone and granite, and he worked at that trade until 1890, when he removed to Sauk Rapids. He then bought and sold horses until 1896, when he received the appointment of deputy sheriff of Benton county and served in this office two years. He did very efficient work during this term and in 1898 defeated Mr. Lavoie for the office of county sheriff, and is now filling that office in a creditable manner. He removed to Foley in 1891 and in March of the following year he purchased the Hotel Foley and conducted the only hotel in the town of Foley.
Mr. Leffingwell was married in 1889 to Ida Erdmann, who was born in Wisconsin, in November, 1872. Our subject is a man of untiring energy and he is awake to the interests of his county and works zealously to promote the same.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 761.
Andrew Leveen, deceased, for many years prior to his demise was known as a prosperous farmer and worthy citizen. He became one of the pioneer settlers of Big Stone county, and his home in Moonshine township is one of the valuable estates of that locality. This farm is now conducted by Mrs. Laveen [sic] and her ability as a financier has been clearly demonstrated during the years she has had the management of the estate of her late husband.
Mr. Leveen was born in Sweden in 1847, and came to America in 1870. He took a homestead in section 20, of Moonshine township, Big Stone county, in 1879, and his wife came to the new home in Minnesota, in 1881. Their possessions then consisted of a team of oxen, two poor horses, and two cows, and they had a claim shanty and a sod stable. The first crop was in 1881 and yielded about 500 bushels. In 1883 hail destroyed the entire crop. In 1890 Mrs. Leveen began the management of the farm. She had six children to care for and the duties were hard, indeed, but with true fortitude she has gone steadily onward until she is now in possession of one thousand three hundred acres of land, some of which she has purchased in recent years. Over one-half of her land is under cultivation. She has a good house, large barn and elevator, and a fine windmill and grove on the place; also some fine fruit trees and small fruits. August 19, 1902, at 9 o'clock in the morning, the barn was struck by lightning and was destroyed, with contents, consisting of hay, harness, etc.
Mr. Leveen was married in 1881 to Annie Peterson. Mrs. Leveen was born in Sweden and came to America in 1880. Of this union six children were born, namely: Agnes, born in 1881; Frank, born in 1883; Freda, born in 1886; Roger, born in 1887; Walter, born in 1889; and Esther, born in 1891. Mr. Leveen died in 1890, mourned by his family and a large circle of acquaintances. He was a prominent citizen and held numerous township offices.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 324-27.
Arthur J. Lewis, M. D., a young and capable physician of Mora, Kanabec county, was born in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, in 1869, and is a son of a Welsh Congregational minister, who was born in Wales, and came with his family to the United States in 1868.
Dr. Lewis was the first in a family of five children, who were reared and educated in Akron, Ohio. When he was twenty years of age he began the study of medicine in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, the medical department of Hamlin University at Minneapolis. He received his degree in 1895, and during his college course spent one year at the hospital connected with the Soldiers' Home at Minnehaha. The young doctor located at Rose Creek, Mower county, Minnesota, where he was in practice two years, and in 1897 removed to Mora, where he opened an office the same year, building up an extensive practice through Kanabec, Pine and Mille Lacs counties.
Dr. Lewis was married in 1898 to a Miss Loague, a native of Indiana, and a descendant of an old American family. Mrs. Lewis is a lady of many gifts, for several years having been a school teacher in Kanabec county previous to her marriage. Dr. and Mrs. Lewis have one child, Ila.
Dr. Lewis is a Republican, and has served as county coroner and village health officer. He is local surgeon for the Great Northern Railway, and has a very handsome and inviting residence in Mora. His first appearance in Mora was in 1894, and he at once formed a liking for that place, and presently made it his home. He is today the oldest resident physician in the county.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 181-82.
Ole J. Lillevold, one of the leading farmers of Tanberg township, Wilkin county, is a man of wide experience and has thoroughly mastered the art of farming. He has devoted his career to agricultural pursuits and has met with pronounced success and now has a well improved farm and a home of great comfort.
Mr. Lillevold was born in Gubrandsdalen, Norway, in 1864. His father came to America and settled in La Crosse county, Wisconsin, in 1864. There our subject was reared and he assisted on the home farm and received a limited schooling. He started for himself at the age of eighteen years, and for fifteen years he was in different parts of Minnesota, Dakota and Montana. He worked in the lumber woods four winters and also worked in the mines. He came to Wilkin county in 1897 and bought a farm in section 22. This was an improved farm, but he has since erected a complete set of farm buildings, with the exception of the residence which was built when he purchased the place. He now has a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, ninety acres of which is under cultivation, and the rest is pasture and grass land. His best wheat crop averaged twenty bushels per acre, and he has placed the land under high cultivation. For the past five years Mr. Lillevold has engaged in the threshing business and owns a steam rig, with which he has done threshing over a large territory. He has met with success and has had no losses, except the loss of a separator by fire in 1898.
Mr. Lillevold is known as a gentleman of active public spirit, and he has served his township as assessor for two years, and as chairman of the township board for one year. He takes an active part in township affairs and keeps abreast of the times. He is a Republican in political faith and stands firmly for his convictions.
Mr. Lillevold was married October 15, 1903, to Anna Hagen, a native of Norway. She came to America with her parents in 1893, when she was six years old. Her parents now reside in North Dakota.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 729.
Charles Lindstrom, one of the earliest pioneers of Chisago county, resides on his pleasant estate in section 9 of Chisago Lake township. He is an agriculturist of wide experience, and was just such a man as was needed in the early days of the settlement of that locality, persistent, industrious, honest and wide awake to the best interests of his community. He enjoys the respect of many acquaintances and the ill-will of none.
Mr. Lindstrom was born in Smoland, Sweden, in 1837. His father was a farmer by occupation and spent his life in Sweden. Our subject was reared to farm work and his early training assisted him materially in his life labors. At the age of fifteen years he began farm work for himself and was engaged on an extensive estate in his native land. He came to America in 1866, without means, and in debt in fact for his passage. He settled in Chisago county and did farm work to repay his debts and was engaged also in the lumber woods and on the log drives, during the winter months and in the saw mills during the spring and summer, his work taking him through northern Minnesota and Wisconsin. He began farming in 1868, but did not devote his entire attention to his farm until about 1875, since which time he has built up a fine farm. He used oxen for the first five years and went through many trying experiences. His farm now covers one hundred and sixty-four acres, of which sixty acres is under high cultivation. He has erected a complete set of excellent farm buildings, and has made a pronounced success of farming. During the days of the old horse-power thresher he followed the threshing business for many years and had his full share of this line of work in its season. He was one of the first settlers between Chisago Lake and Matt Lake.
Mr. Lindstrom was married in 1868. Mrs. Lindstrom was born in Sweden. To this union seven children have been born, namely: John A., Frank O., Mary, August L., Henry Edward, Axel William, and Eda Alphine. Mr. Lindstrom served as school treasurer for about five years, and has always kept abreast of the times and lends his influence for the upbuilding of the better interests of his community. In political sentiment he is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 434-35.
John Linn, probably one of the best known early pioneers of Chisago county, Minnesota, is retired from active pursuits and resides in his recently erected residence in Center City. For the greater share of his life he has devoted his attention to farming, and by good management and perseverance, supplemented by honest dealings, he became the possessor of a fine estate, located in Chisago Lake township. This farm has recently been sold to Joseph Linn, a brother's son.
John Linn was born on a farm in Smoland, Sweden, in 1834. His father followed farming throughout his life and died in his native land. Our subject was the fifth in a family of nine children and he was reared on the home estate and early became accustomed to farm work. He emigrated to America in 1853 and upon his arrival in this country began lumbering, spending several years in the woods and on the river rafting. During one year he engaged in the logging business for himself and had much experience in lumbering. He purchased his farm in 1860 and built a log house thereon. His first team were oxen, which he bought in 1861. He cleared his farm of grubs and in the early days ground his wheat into flour in a coffee mill. While in the woods he met many of the Indians and was always friendly with them and learned some of their language. He erected a set of good farm buildings and gathered about him the comforts of farm life. In the summer of 1902 he built a residence in Center City, and there intends to retire from active business life. He can now enjoy in his declining years the fruits of a well spent career.
Mr. Linn was married in 1861 to Miss Mary Johnson, who was born in Sweden and came to America with her parents in 1852. Mr. and Mrs. Linn have nine living children, namely. Ida C., Edward A., Esther, George, Lewis, Frederick, Alice, Arthur and Elmer. The second child in order of birth, Henry E., died at the age of twenty-one years, and the seventh, who bore the name of Webster, died at the age of six years. Mr. Linn has served as township supervisor, and for several years filled the office of school treasurer. He is a Republican in political faith.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 760.
M. Linn, a hard-working and respected farmer of Yellow Bank township, was born in Germany, August 22, 1844, a son of Christoff Linn, who was a mason by trade and an emigrant to the United States in the early '50s. He located in Scott county, Minnesota, where he died several years ago.
M. Linn was the youngest born in a family of five children, and was brought to this country by his parents when he was only ten years of age. Growing up in Scott county, he received a common school education, and when he was twenty-six years of age received the gift of a farm from his father in that county. There he lived and farmed until 1900, when he sold out and removed to Lac-qui-parle county.
Mr. Linn was married in 1870 to Miss Helen Kelzer, who was born in Illinois in 1853. To this union were born twelve children: Gertrude, Mary, Frank, Joseph, John, Caroline, Matthew, Rosa, Minarod, Theresa, Helma and Odelia.
Mr. Linn is a Democrat. He has been very successful in his farming and business affairs, and has built up a fine farm comprising two hundred and forty acres, nearly all under high cultivation, with good farm buildings and a fine grove of five acres. He has a good windmill, and holds his own as one of the leading farmers of the county.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 807-08.
Peter Linn, a prosperous agriculturist of Chisago Lake township, Chisago county, and an agricultural implement dealer in Lindstrom, is a man of much force of character and has brought success where many others under less discouraging circumstances would have failed.
Mr. Linn was born in Kronebargeslane, Smoland, Sweden, on a farm, in 1831. His father was a farmer by occupation. Mr. Linn was the fourth in a family of nine children, and he was reared in Sweden and came to America in 1853. For three or four years he worked in the lumber woods, and on the log drives in Wisconsin and Minnesota, and in 1856 bought a small tract of land and began farming. He bought his present farm in 1857 and his first home was a two story log house. Here he lived for many years and some of his children were born there. For the first ten years he did logging, working on the rivers, and passed through many hardships, sometimes losing his winter's wages. He carried provisions for his family from Taylors Falls, and his first team were oxen with which he farmed for about fifteen years. He lost his house by fire, and later his barn and contents, including all his stock were destroyed by fire caused by lightning. Mr. Linn built a blacksmith shop on his farm and engeged [sic] for twenty-five years in blacksmithing and wagon making, and for some years employed help in his shop. He rebuilt his home and other farm buildings and now has a well improved estate, his acreage covering one hundred and eighty acres. He owns a machine shed at Lindstrom, and for the past ten or fifteen years has dealt in farm machinery.
Mr. Linn was married in 1856. Mrs. Linn died on the home farm in 1889. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Linn, who are as follows: Levi, residing in Dakota; Mary, now married; Charles, living in Washington; Victor, now in Montana; Amanda; Robert, a general merchant of Granby, Minnesota; Hjalmar, living in Washington; and Rodney, also living in Washington. Mr. Linn is a Republican and is an earnest worker for party principles.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 473-74.
John F. C. Loeffler, although a comparatively recent settler of Traverse county, is classed among the substantial citizens of his locality. He has become identified with the agricultural interests of Clifton township and is the owner of a fine farm, which he is rapidly improving and enjoys a good income from his estate.
Mr. Loeffler was born in Buffalo, New York, in 1858. His father was born in Germany. His name was Jacob Claus and after his death our subject was adopted by his step-father, Nicholas Loeffler, and bears his name. Later in life Jacob Claus located in New York state. He worked in a brewery in Buffalo for many years until his death. The mother of our subject was also a native of Germany and came to America with her husband. She is now a resident of Douglas county, Minnesota. After the death of our subject's father, the mother married Mr. Loeffler, whose death occurred in 1895.
Our subject came to Dakota county, Minnesota, with his parents at the age of three years and attended school there until he was about sixteen years of age, when he began to earn his own way by working at farm labor, and worked for others until 1898. He then came to Traverse county and purchased a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, upon which was a set of good farm buildings and he purchased also the necessary machinery for conducting a model farm. He has placed further improvements on the place and enjoys the comforts of a rural home. He raised twenty bushels of wheat to the acre in 1902, and fifty bushels of oats per acre the same year.
Mr. Loeffler was married in 1880 to Miss Christina Strickle, who was born in Dakota county, Minnesota. Her father was a farmer there, but later in life moved to California, where his death occurred. To Mr. and Mrs. Loeffler eight children have been born, who are named as follows: Nicholas, Annie M., Jacob R., John N., Conrad F., Joseph S., Francis M. T., and Frank H., all of whom were born in Minnesota.
Mr. Loeffler is one of the leading citizens of his township, and in political sentiment is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 374.
John Longworth, one of the hardy and vigorous farmers of the township of Walter, Lac-qui-parle county, is a worthy member of the ranks of the old settlers of this part of Minnesota, and as he looks about on the broad acres, the beautiful towns and cities that have sprung up in the wake of the early settlers, as he recalls the past and thinks of the transformation that has made a noble state out of a smiling prairie wilderness, he may well say, "All of which I saw, and a part of which I was." And he and his compeers played no slight part in this great change. It is with peculiar pleasure that the pen of the historian undertakes to trace such a career.
John Longworth was born in England, January 10, 1848, where his ancestors had long lived and died. His father, John, left England in 1856, landed in New York July 4, and located in Green Bay, Wisconsin. He spent his life as a modernist in various places in Northern Wisconsin until 1873, when he moved to Stockbridge, Wisconsin, where he lived until two years before his death, when he moved with his son near Oshkosh, where he died November 20, 1900, leaving memories of a long and useful life.
John Longworth was the oldest member of a family of six children and was reared in the Green Bay home, where he attended the city schools and was very fairly educated. He sought employment as a farm hand, and was thus engaged until he was twenty-five years old, when he started in farming for himself in Wisconsin. This was his work until 1879, when he sold out his interests in Wisconsin and removing to Lac-qui-parle county, Minnesota, made a homestead entry, on which he built a claim shanty, 14 by 14 feet, and also a sod barn. His first breaking was done with oxen, and he experienced in person the trials and hardships of frontier life after the manner of the times. But his heart was strong and unshaken and he has come through all these trials to enjoy a very substantial success.
Mr. Longworth was married July 31, 1873, to Miss Kittie E. Russell, who was born in the state of New York in 1853. To this union have come six children: Wallace, May, Hannah, Fred, Nellie and Nelia. Wallace, May and Hannah are natives of Wisconsin. The other three children were all born on the Lac-qui-parle county homestead.
Mr. Longworth is a Republican and has been justice of the peace several years, having filled other local offices at different times. As a farmer and a business man he has displayed much ability. He now owns a fine and well cultivated farm of two hundred and twenty acres, the greater part of which is under active cultivation, only enough being reserved from the plow for grass, hay and pasture. His farm buildings are modern and up-to-date and his grove thrifty and vigorous. Still in the prime of life, he is a wealthy man, in that he has enough and to spare and may never need to worry. That day is long past. All who know him, cherish his name and wish him well. He has recently turned the cares of the farm over to his son Wallace, and is living a retired life in Ortonville, Minnesota, a beautiful city a few miles north from the farm.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 517.
Frank G. Lorens, who for over twenty years has been identified with the business interests of Chisago county, Minnesota, is a merchant of Center City, and has become one of the well-known and highly esteemed men of that locality.
Mr. Lorens was born in Chisago county, Minnesota, on a farm in 1858. His father was a native of Smoland, Sweden, and he came to the United States in 1853 and settled in Chisago county. He was among the first settlers of the county and did his full share toward the development of the agricultural interests of that section.
Of a family of ten children our subject was the fifth in order of birth. He was reared in his native county and received his education there in the common schools. At the age of thirteen years he began earning his own livelihood and has since been dependent upon himself. He spent three or four years as clerk in Center City, and then went to Meeker county, Minnesota. He followed threshing and farm work there and also clerked for about a year and then returned to Center City. About 1882 he established himself in the hardware business, and in connection with the same conducted a tin shop. He bought a small business and operated in a building 20 by 30 feet. He now occupies one of the largest store buildings of the county and carries a complete line of hardware, farm machinery, and handles farm produce. He has built up a most successful business, and is regarded as one of the substantial citizens of Chisago county. His brother, William Lorens, became associated with our subject, in the mercantile business in 1892. He was also reared in Chisago county. He took a homestead in South Dakota, where he lived about three years, but now makes his home in Center City.
Frank G. Lorens was married in 1887 to Miss Nellie Peterson. Mrs. Lorens was born in Marine Mills, Washington county. Her people were natives of Sweden and were among the early settlers of Minnesota. Mr. and Mrs. Lorens are the parents of two children, namely: Roy and Laverne. Mr. Lorens takes a most commendable interest in local public affairs, and has served for the past ten years as town treasurer. Politically he is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 375.
Andrew T. Lund, who may be truly styled the founder of Vining, Minnesota, a thriving village in Ottertail county, formerly known as Lund, is a gentleman of more than the usual importance in the affairs of his community, where he has brought about the development of the resources of the county to a marked degree. He is among the more prosperous men of northern Minnesota, and his extensive investments are unusually well managed and fortunate. A portrait of Mr. Lund will be found on another page of this work.
Mr. Lund was born in Norway August 19, 1848, a son of Torger B. and Boletta (Andrews) Lund, both natives of Norway. Young Andrew early became a sailor, and in 1866 worked his way to America on a sailing ship, and landed at Quebec, after being eight weeks on the ocean. He borrowed money to take him to Prescott, Wisconsin, from which point he worked his way into upper Wisconsin, where he remained over ten years. He was engaged in farm work and in the lumber woods, making his headquarters at Hudson, Wisconsin, until 1879. That year he took a homestead claim in Ottertail county, Minnesota, and starting the town of Lund, which became Vining on the establishment of the postoffice. Mr. Lund was the first postmaster, and held that position many years. He has been town clerk and justice of the peace for ten years in succession, and now holds the office of chairman of supervisors in his township. For twenty years he has been director of the school district. He bought the first grain brought to market in that locality, and opened the first lumber yard in Vining, in which line he is still engaged. In 1888 he established a general store under the firm name of Nyhuse & Lund, putting in a stock valued at $15,000. Mr. Lund has a fine farm of 2,000 acres, on which is a good house and other farm buildings, including a cattle barn 32Xl00 feet, with a big hay loft. He has supplied the best farm machinery, and has a windmill, with other modern and up-to-date notions. A fine grove on the banks of East Battle lake makes it a very desirable summer resort, and Mr. Lund has converted it into a most attractive picnic ground, with boats and other conveniences, one mile from Vining station. On his farm are fifty cattle and fourteen driving and farm horses.
Mr. Lund was married in 1871 to Annie K. Amundson, who was born in Norway April 10, 1851. To this union have come nine children: Thea; Melvin, who graduated from the Minnesota Agricultural College in 1899; Charles and Oscar, who both graduated from the Concordia College at Moorhead; Harry is a student at the same institution; Andrew; Emil; Gudrun; and Boletta. Thea, the oldest daughter, spent four years at St. Mary's, at Faribault, twice winning the year prize, the Kerfoot gold medals, for superior attainments in scholarship. Mr. Lund and his family belong to the Lutheran church, and he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Independent Order of Good Templars.
Mr. Lund revisited his native land for the first time since his departure for the land of his adoption in 1900. He was gone four months, and in addition to his Norwegian journey made a tour of England and Scotland.
Mr. Lund is a Republican, and takes a leading part in political matters. In 1896 he was a candidate before the convention for nomination to congress. The situation became strained, and his withdrawal at the opportune moment secured the nomination of F. M. Eddy, who proved a very satisfactory candidate, and in due time was triumphantly elected, bringing about a general restoration of party harmony.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 188-91.
Gust Lund, one of the older settlers of the town of Providence, and who has long since made his mark on the affairs of Lac-qui-parle country, was born on a farm in Sweden in 1839. His father was born and reared to a farmer's life in Sweden, and his entire career was passed in his native land in the tilling of the soil. He died in 1878.
Gust Lund was born the third member of a family of seven children, and grew to manhood under the parental roof tree. He followed farm work, and lived in his native land until he was thirty years of age. There he was married in 1864 to Miss Annie May Peterson, Swedish born and bred, and to their happy and fortunate union have come four children: Ellen P., who is married; Tecla, married; Snifrena, married; and George F. The last two named were born in this country.
In 1869 Mr. Lund came with his family to this country, and spent three months in Chicago. One summer was passed in St. Paul, and then they lived a year in Duluth. After this Mr. Lund removed to Carver county, Minnesota, where he farmed a rented place for seven years. Mr. Lund found himself not getting on as he wished, and determined to make a desperate effort to secure a farm of their own. In 1878 he came into Lac-qui-parle county, driving by team, having one poor span of horses, two cows and a month's scanty supplies. He was forty dollars in debt, and faced the future with little but strength and courage to help him. However, he settled on the southeast quarter of section 26, Providence township, and here he built a dug-out sufficient after the frontier fashion to care for his family, and there he lived for three years. The first year he broke four acres only as he had to work out all the time, being so poor that at one time he was unable to get a sack of flour. From this four acres he had one hundred bushels of wheat, the first crop he had ever raised. Gradually he improved in his situation, and now owns a half section of land, the most of which is under active cultivation. The farm buildings are ample and commodious. The horse barn is modern and well appointed, and a strong wind mill provides plenty of water for all purposes. The grove contains sixteen acres, and his orchard has one hundred and twenty-five apple trees now in bearing. His cattle number forty head, and he has ten horses.
Mr. Lund has made a success of his career in this country and is regarded with much kindness by his neighbors. In local affairs he has taken a strong interest and from time to time has been called to fill the various offices of the township and school district. He it was who gave the township of Providence its name, and through the years he has done his full share in building up the community. All the churches have been helped by him, and he has been active in constructing school roads. In 1901 he made a visit to his old home in Sweden, stopping over a brief time in London. Over two months were spent by him on the trip.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 479-80.
Of the merchants who first settled in New Paynesville, on the "Soo" Railroad, few are left, although but a comparatively short time has elapsed since the streets were devoted to the plow, and crops flourished where business blocks now stand. The last decade has witnessed the departure of many well-known business men, and the incoming of others to take their places. During these many changes, however, Tidman T. Lund has pushed his mercantile business in successful competition with his old associates and the new comers. Today he is known as the pioneer merchant of the village, and as one of its most progressive and substantial citizens.
Tidman T. Lund was born in Rock county, Wisconsin, June 4, 1853, his parents, Torkel and Grete (Berg) Lund, being native-born Norwegians, who came to this country in 1851. They reared a family of nine children, Tidman T. being the oldest now living. In 1858 the family settled on a farm in Waseca county, Minnesota, and there Tidman T. grew to manhood, laboring on the old farm until he was twenty-five years of age. Then he entered the general store of A. J. Stensvod, at New Richland, Minnesota, and after clerking two years began business for himself, becoming junior member of the firm of J. S. Rogstad & Co., of New Richland. After two years he sold out, and from 1883 to 1887 was engaged in clerking in several stores in Ojata, North Dakota (where he remained about a year); at New Richland, Waseca county, Minnesota; at Hartland, Freeborn county, Minnesota, and in the summer of 1887 at Buttsville, North Dakota. That fall he came to Paynesville, to become the junior partner of the firm of Malmin & Lund. Their business was carried on in the same building that Mr. Lund now occupies, and they were well established before the business places of old Paynesville were moved over to the "Soo" depot. This partnership was dissolved in 1892, and Mr. Lund became sole owner of the establishment. Under his personal supervision the business has prospered, and is increasing from year to year. He now carries a stock valued at between ten and twelve thousand dollars, and his greatest drawback is lack of room to display his goods. His purpose is in the near future to erect a business block that shall not only afford him needed room, but be a credit to the village.
Mr. Lund is a business man of recognized shrewdness, and has been successful by his own unaided efforts. He is a man whom it is a pleasure to meet, well read, pleasant and affable. He is a man without family ties, but who can boast of a town full of friends, and in the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Modern Brotherhood of America, his practical good sense and kindly feeling are highly esteemed by the brotherhood. He was a member of the first board of councilmen in New Paynesville, and for ten years has been treasurer of the village.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 787.
William Lundeen, whose pleasant home in Harris township bespeaks painstaking care in the management, is a pioneer settler of Chisago county, and a well known farmer of that region. He has devoted many years of his life to agriculture and has met with pronounced success in his labors. He has cleared a fine farm, and enjoys well merited prosperity and the respect and esteem of his fellowmen.
Mr. Lundeen was born in Sweden in 1859, and was the eighth in order of birth in a family of nine children. His father was a farmer by occupation and spent his life in Sweden. Our subject was reared in Kronebergslane, Smoland, and at the age of sixteen years he began earning his own way at farm work. He came to America in 1880 and worked at Stillwater, Minnesota, and in the lumber woods for five years. He went to Chisago county, in the fall of 1885, and purchased the farm upon which he now resides. His first team was oxen, and he passed through the hardships and experiences of the pioneers of that region. He is now the owner of a fine farm of eighty acres, all but two acres of which is tillable. He has erected good farm buildings, and has all machinery and equipment for conducting a model farm.
Mr. Lundeen was married in 1885 to Miss Ida Johnson, a native of Kronebergslane, Smoland, Sweden, who came to America in 1882. To Mr. and Mrs. Lundeen five children have been born, who are named as follows: Morris, Addict, Jennie, Lydia, and Frieda. Mr. Lundeen is a gentleman of active public spirit and is identified with the Republican party politically.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 633.
There were 1706 visitors from 12 May 2006 to 4 Jul 2011. Visitor stats were lost from 5 Nov 2005 to 12 May 2006 because of a broken counter. There were 896 visitors from 29 May 2001 to 5 Nov 2005.
Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN