Emil F. Maass, an energetic and go-ahead young man, who is one of the leading grain dealers of Nassau, Lac-qui-parle county, is a conspicuous example of the success that waits on pluck and push in Minnesota when backed by youth and manly vigor.
Mr. Maass was born in Germany January 13, 1879, where his father, Karl F., was engaged in cabinet making. He was born in Germany, where the family had been long established, but in 1893, deemed it well to transfer himself and all his belongings to this country, where so much larger opportunity and brighter future waited on earnest endeavor and manly action. He located in South Dakota, where he died September 18, 1896.
Emil F. Maass was the fifth member of a family of six children, and his education was very largely obtained in Germany, before the removal of the family to this country. His foot was first set on American soil at Halifax, and the journey was quickly made to the Dakota home. In 1898 he set himself to the milling trade at Vienna, South Dakota, in which he continued until 1901, when he established himself as a grain buyer at Clontarf, Minnesota. There he remained until the spring of 1903, when he established himself in the same line at Nassau. Here he has pushed into the inner circles of the trade, and is already known as one of the leading grain buyers in this section of the state. His name is good, his accounts are squarely kept, and all who deal with him receive the right treatment.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 504.
David Macy, late of Farmland, Randolph county, Indiana, died in 1902 after a long and busy career as a farmer and a business man. He was born in Tennessee, October 22, 1806, the third son and fourth child born to Jonathan and Hannah Macy.
David Macy was married in 1836 to Priscilla Luellen. Shortly after his marriage he learned the trade of a wagon maker and followed it from 1841 to 1845, when he sold out and settled on a farm in Howard county, Indiana. After a number of years spent in agricultural labors David Macy sold his farm and went into a store devoted to general merchandise. This was in 1853, and he followed this line until some time in the 'sixties, about the outbreak of the Civil war. He had been living at Farmland and he still remained here after the sale of the store, and the resumption of the wagon making trade. Much prosperity attended him and some time after the conclusion of the war he disposed of his business interests and retired to his neat and attractive home on South Main street in Farmland, where for many years he lived a peaceful and quiet life, out of active business and enjoying the profound respect and universal love of the community.
His first presidential vote was cast for William Henry Harrison, and he has always been proud of the fact that at the opening of his political career stands that heroic figure so loved and honored in his time.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 513.
Among the younger members of the farming community of Monson township a high station is accorded the gentleman whose name heads this review. Mr. Magnuson has gained valuable possessions by dint of his own labors and management and he is a representative farmer of Traverse county. He is intelligent and progressive and well merits his high standing and success.
Our subject was born in Smoland, Sweden, in 1868. His father, A. G. Magnuson, was born in Sweden and was married there. He came to America in 1878 with his family and settled near Atkinson, Henry county, Illinois, where the family lived until 1884. They then removed to Traverse county and the father settled on a homestead. He spent his life in the agricultural pursuits.
Our subject early began farm work and handled ox teams when a boy. He spent one season in North Dakota in 1889 and when he attained his majority he bought eighty acres of railroad land in Monson township and began farming for himself. He has improved his farm in every possible way and now owns one hundred and sixty acres of land which he has placed under cultivation and upon which he has built a complete set of farm buildings. Aside from his own land he operates adjoining tracts and is engaged extensively in diversified farming. He has eight horses and fourteen head of cattle. His residence, barn, granary and other farm buildings are commodious and substantial and he has a well improved estate, thoroughly equipped and well stocked.
Mr. Magnuson was married in 1892 to Miss Bina Carlson. Mrs. Magnuson was born in Sweden in 1865 and her parents live in that country. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Magnuson, all of whom were born on the home farm in Traverse county, and they are named as follows: Victor C., Alice E., Harry E., Lillie Theresa and Reuben B. Alice and Harry are twins. Mr. Magnuson has served as township clerk for the past four years and is actively interested in local public affairs. He votes independent of party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 665.
Michael Maguire, for many years a successful farmer of section 30, Marysland township, is the owner of the northeast quarter of the section. He is now a deputy sheriff of Swift county under W. H. Doyle. He is a man of untiring energy and strict integrity and well merits his success and enviable reputation.
Mr. Maguire was born in the county of Monaghan, Ireland, in December, 1849, and was a son of Matthew and Elizabeth (Hughes) Maguire. His parents never left Ireland, their native land, and both are now deceased. Our subject spent his youthful days in school and assisted his father in the business of preparing flax for the manufacture of linen, the father having an extensive business in that industry. May 5, 1870, after attaining his majority he came to America, landing at New York, after a sail from Londonderry. He proceeded to Providence, Rhode Island, and visited friends in Phœnix, that state, and found work in the cotton mills. He learned to weave during the four years he was thus employed and then for two years he worked in a bleaching works. He then came to Benson, Swift county, Minnesota, and in 1876 secured the homestead of one hundred and sixty acres on which he now resides. At that time there was not a settler in sight, the nearest neighbor being three miles distant. He at once began the improvement of his place and built substantially from the start. He has enlarged his residence since then and now has a commodious and comfortable home. He has good barns and other out buildings and has a well improved estate. All of his land is under cultivation and he engages successfully in mixed farming. He has a good supply of farm machinery for carrying on a well conducted farm. In 1902 Mr. Maguire took a trip to western Canada and purchased a tract of one hundred and sixty acres of land in Assinaboia.
Our subject was married in Rhode Island, November 17, 1872, to Mary Duffy, daughter of the late Felix Duffy and Alice (Began) Duffy. Mrs. Maguire was born in Ireland and her parents died in Swift county. To Mr. and Mrs. Maguire four children have been born, three of whom are now living and are named as follows: Lizzie, Matthew and James. A daughter, Alice, is deceased. Mr. Maguire was one of a large family of children, five of whom are now living, and are as follows: Catherine, widow of John Duffy; John, a resident of Ireland; Michael, our subject; Bridget, widow of Michael Stanton, living in Rhode Island; Mary Ann, the youngest, is a resident of Ireland. There was also a daughter adopted by the parents, Rose. Mr. Maguire is a man of active public spirit, and he served as town clerk of Marysland township for twelve years after its organization. He is school clerk, which office he has filled fifteen years since the organization of the township. He is a member of the Catholic church and has been treasurer of the same for the past twelve years. Politically he is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 674.
William C. Maier is an energetic and progressive young man who purposes making farming his life occupation. He is the eldest son of the late William Maier, who until his death, was a prominent and influential factor in the development of the farming interests in Kandiyohi county. Our subject manages the estate of his late father in the interest of his mother and her children. He is unmarried and resides on the home farm in Harrison township.
William Maier, deceased, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, in 1838. His father was a farmer by occupation and both his parents spent their lives in Germany. He received his education in the Fatherland and at the age of fourteen years he took passage for America. After landing at New York he found employment and continued in various occupations until the breaking out of the Civil war. In 1861 he enlisted in Company D, First New York Battery Volunteers, and at the close of his term re-enlisted in the United States Veteran Volunteers.
He fought for his adopted country until the close of the war and received an honorable discharge and subsequently a pension for his valued services. In 1866 he went to Minnesota and took up a homestead claim of eighty acres of land which he later abandoned and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in section 23 of Harrison township, Kandiyohi county. He began his improvements by building a barn, and continued to steadily improve the place. In 1866 he won the heart and hand of Mrs. Amelia Reefe, nee Foster, who was then a widow, and the owner of a fine farm in the immediate neighborhood. They were happily married and became the parents of ten children, eight of whom are now living and socially and intellectually are classed among the best people in the county. The names of the children are here given in th order of birth; William C.; Anna, now the wife of William Gratz of Willmar; Henrietta, the wife of Fred Wolf, residing in Indianapolis, Indiana; Matilda and August, twins; Joseph, who is married and is engaged in farming in Harrison township; Albert and Bertha, who live at home.
During Mr. Maier's active life he filled a number of township offices, including those of assessor, supervisor, and director on the school board, and was also county commissioner. In politics he was a staunch Republican. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and with his family a member of the German Lutheran church. Mr. Maier died June 18, 1891, and was buried in the cemetery of St. Johns. He was mourned by a large circle of relatives and friends and their loss was deeply felt.
The home of the Maier family is a commodious two-story structure, pleasantly situated on section 14 of Harrison township. Groves of trees add beauty and shelter to the place and good substantial barns afford shelter for crops and stock, there being of the latter fifty head of cattle and fifteen horses. The farm consists of five hundred eighty-one acres of land, most of which is now under plow. Mrs. Maier is a pleasant sociable lady who thoroughly enjoys life surrounded by an affectionate and dutiful family. She was also a native of Germany. Her parents were Samuel and Rosa (Nelson) Foster, who emigrated to America in 1853, when Mrs. Maier was a child. She is the mother of four children by her former marriage, all of whom are still living.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 493.
Louis Mannel, a prominent and prosperous business man of Watkins, Meeker county, is proprietor of a large harness store in that city. He carries a complete stock of goods in this line and has built up an extensive business. He is a young man and has prospered during his residence in Watkins, and owns a fine home there.
Mr. Mannel was born in Carver county, Minnesota, March 1, 1872. His father, Andrew Mannel, was born in Ohio, and his mother, Eva Mannel, was a native of Germany. Our subject was reared on the home farm in Carver county, and attended the common schools there. At the age of nineteen years he began to learn the harness-maker's trade at Montrose, Minnesota, under John Green. After completing his apprenticeship he came to Watkins, Meeker county, in 1894 and erected the building which he now occupies. He established his shop therein and has built up a good business. He carries a $1,200 stock of goods in the harness line and meets the requirements of the people in the village and throughout Meeker county. He has a residence and two lots in the village and has prospered since locating there.
Mr. Mannel was married in October, 1897, to Matilda Becker, who was born in Germany, in August, 1876. Mr. and Mrs. Mannel are the parents of two children, namely: Barney A., and William Louis. Mr. Mannel is prominent in village affairs and has served as a member of the village board. He is awake to the interests of the community where he makes his home, and lends his influence for the upbuilding of every enterprise which tends to the good of the community. He is a member of the Catholic Order of Foresters of Watkins, and the Catholic church of that village.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 472.
Frank Marick, a resident of Kent, Minnesota, is well known throughout Wilkin county. He is the owner of considerable land in that locality and for many years was engaged in farming. He was one of the pioneer business men of Kent and enjoys the esteem of his associates. Mr. Marick is a native of Wisconsin, and was born on a farm in Racine county, in 1858.
The father of our subject, Joseph Marick, was born in Germany, and came to America in 1843. He settled in Wilkin county in 1885, after residing in Iowa for many years.
Frank Marick was the fifth in order of birth in a family of nine children, eight of whom are now living. The family located in the northeastern part of Iowa in 1864 and our subject was reared in Winneshiek county and assisted in the improvement of the home farm there. He started for himself in 1879 and came to Wilkin county, Minnesota, taking a homestead in section 11, of McCauleyville township. His first building was 14 by 16 feet and he lived alone on his farm for the first three years. He made the trip to his new home overland from Iowa in a covered wagon and in the fall of that year returned to Iowa and each season went to his new farm, making the trip between Wilkin county, Minnesota, and Iowa five times. He camped on the way and slept in his wagon. He broke some land in 1879 and raised his first crop from thirty acres of land in 1880. He remained on his farm until 1892, when the village of Kent began to grow and he built the first hotel of the town and conducted the same for seven years, meanwhile operating his farm. The village was platted adjoining his farm and a part of the village is now on his original farm. He engaged in the saloon business in 1899 and after three years sold this business and also sold his hotel in 1902, and now devotes his attention to the cultivation of his farms, owning one hundred and sixty acres in Roberts township, in section 15, and one hundred and sixty acres in McCauleyville township. He engaged in the machine business in 1889 and continued in this business for about two years. The first ten seasons of his residence in Wilkin county he worked on threshing machines. He has a pleasantly located home in Kent and he has aided materially in the upbuilding of this thriving village, contributing liberally for the building of schools, churches, and other public works.
Mr. Marick was married in 1882 to Miss Dora Andres. Mrs. Marick was born in Winneshiek county, Iowa, and her father, P. Andres, was a native of Ohio and was of German descent. He was a farmer by occupation. Mr. Marick has served his township as a member of the township board and he takes an active part in local public affairs. In political sentiment he is a Democrat, and stands firmly for his convictions.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 743-44.
Much of the wealth of Traverse county, Minnesota, is due to the well developed and highly cultivated farms of Windsor township. The gentleman whose name heads this article is the owner of a fine estate in this township, and by his industry and perseverance he has aided in producing the present prosperity enjoyed in that region.
Mr. Maricle was born in the state of New York, in 1842. His father, William Maricle, was born in Pennsylvania in 1805. He went to New York and settled on a farm and from there moved to Illinois, where he resided one year. He then removed to Iowa and took a claim upon which he made his home until his death, in 1882.
Our subject was reared in Iowa and attended the common schools there. In 1861 he enlisted in Company H, Ninth Iowa Infantry, and served until the close of the war. He then returned to his Iowa home and remained there four years. In 1873 he came to Traverse county, Minnesota, and took a homestead and tree claim, and built a claim shanty and a straw shed. His nearest town was Morris, and he hauled his grain there to market, a distance of fifty miles. He continued the improvement of his property and has erected good buildings and has surrounded himself with all the comforts of rural life. He is the owner of three hundred and twenty acres of land, all of which is tilled, and the crops are abundant. He has a good bearing orchard and is a prosperous and enterprising farmer.
Mr. Maricle was married in 1871 to Miss Lavina Coy. Mrs. Maricle was born in Ohio in 1855. Her father, Henry Coy, was of Irish descent. He was a farmer in Ohio. He was taken sick and died in the war of the Rebellion in 1864. To Mr. and Mrs. Maricle two children have been born, namely: James W., and one who died in infancy. Mr. Maricle is a gentleman of broad mind and he stands firmly for the right. He formerly was identified with the Republican party, politically, but is now an independent voter and lends his influence for the upbuilding of the better interests of the community in which he makes his home.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 770.
Halvor N. Marken, though not an old man in years, has made his mark in Watson, Minnesota, where he holds an honored standing as an old settler, and his good work in furthering the development of this part of Chippewa county is well known. Mr. Marken was born in Hadeland, Norway, in 1858, where his father, who was a laborer, died while he was still a lad. His sister came to this country in 1867 and two years later the whole family followed, landing in Quebec, and coming to Tunsburg township, Chippewa county, making that part of the journey from St. Peter's west by team. His mother settled her family on a homestead farm and housed them in a log cabin. She had a straw stable for her ox teams and here young Halvor did much work for one of his years, the older boys working out. They saw much hard luck, went through the grasshopper times, but succeeded in establishing a good and comfortable home.
Mr. Marken remained at home until the spring of 1872, when he began for himself. He worked out by the month until the spring of 1877, when he went to North Dakota and worked several months in Fargo. For quite a time he was employed at railroad work in Wisconsin and at farm work near Zumbrota, Minnesota. In 1881 he and his brother Hans bought land and were engaged in farming together some years, when he sold out to his brother. In the fall of 1885 he came to Watson and spent one winter as a clerk in a hotel. After this he bought wheat at the Farmers' Elevator, and for over twelve years carried on this enterprise. In 1886 Mr. Marken bought a business house in Watson and opened a furniture store, remaining at first location until 1892. That year he sold the building and rebuilt for himself in a new location. He put in a new stock and was ready for business May 18, 1892.
Mr. Marken bought a half interest in a hardware store in 1896 and four years later bought out his partner and for the last three years has run both hardware and furniture lines very successfully.
Mr. Marken was married in the spring of 1886 to Miss Anne Olive Wik. She was born near Watson in 1870. They have a family of five children: Eleanor, Rudolph, Arnold (who is now deceased), Alice Mabel and Dora.
Mr. Marken is a Republican and has held village offices many years. For the past five years he has been treasurer of the village and has taken an active part in local affairs from the first.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 513-14.
John Marshall needs no introduction to the people of Minnesota. He is known throughout the state and in various other states as a man of broad mind, culture and public spirit. He is the present superintendent of schools of Wadena, Minnesota, and is a thorough instructor and ranks among the best of his profession.
Mr. Marshall was born in St. Ann, Illinois, in 1876, and was a son of Adolphus Marshall. His father was a grain buyer in former years, but is now engaged in the lumber business. The family came from France to America in 1847 when our subject's father was but an infant, and settled in La Salle, Illinois, where the grandfather began farming. The mother of our subject, whose maiden name was Vuline Trumble, was of Scotch-Irish descent, and her people were early settlers of Ohio.
Of a family of five children, Mr. Marshall was the fourth in order of birth. When he was five years of age the family removed to Chebanse, Illinois, where the father followed grain buying. When he was nine years of age the family took up their residence in LaMoure county, North Dakota, where they followed farming and passed through the experiences and hardships incident to pioneer life in the northwest. Our subject grew to manhood on the home farm and received but eight months schooling while at home. He aided his father in the development of the farm, drove oxen and worked at other hard farm work, caring for the farm with his mother in the winters during the father's absence. He left home at the age of fifteen years and attended school in LaMoure and working for his room and board one year, when he went to West Superior, Wisconsin, attending the high school there two years. He earned his own way through this school, and declined a good paying position in Minnesota to devote his time to getting an education, a decision which was commendable in every respect. He graduated from the Superior high school in 1893, and then returned to LaMoure county, where he followed teaching four months in the country. This school was thirty-five miles from the mails, and there were but two families patrons of the school. Mr. Marshall hunted wolves and made as much from the bounty as he did in wages teaching. He spent three months of the following year as engineer and fireman of a threshing machine, and in 1894 entered the University of Wisconsin, taking a scientific course. He spent two years in Wisconsin University and then accepted a position as assistant in charge of the national Republican college headquarters in Chicago during the memorable campaign of 1896. He spoke through Wisconsin and Illinois and organized Republican clubs throughout the United States. The object of the organization was to get college men interested in campaign work, and he succeeded in securing many orators of force and influence for the ranks of the Republican party. After the campaign Mr. Marshall entered the University of Minnesota and there completed a scientific course, graduating from that institution in 1898 with the degree of B. S. He spent the summer of 1898 lecturing in southern Minnesota and North and South Dakotas on the Cuban war. He was then elected superintendent of the Granite Falls schools and continued his work there two years, when, in 1900, he was elected to a three-years' term as superintendent of the Wadena public schools, and is now filling that office with credit. He is taking summer courses in law at Chicago and Ann Arbor, and proposes completing his education in one of the eastern colleges of note, after he completes his present term of office in Wadena. During his college course, in company with three fellow students who had debated the money question for two years at college, he compiled a publication entitled "Truth About Money." This publication had an extensive sale, but was not intended as a publication for speculation. Through this he received his appointment to the responsible position which he held under the Republican committee in 1896. Various offers from Washington have been made to Mr. Marshall from time to time, but he has declined each in order to devote his time and attention to the completion of his education.
While a student at the University of Minnesota Mr. Marshall was elected a member of the Minnesota Magazine Board, which published a magazine for the senior class. He was a thorough student and did double work most of the time while in attendance there. While in the Wisconsin University he was president of his class for one year, and joined the Delta Tau Delta fraternity, and was manager of the Badger, a yearly publication by the juniors of that institution. He is an active athlete and an ardent sportsman, and was captain of a boat crew at Wisconsin University, and took an active part in foot ball, base ball, track athletics and other sports. He suffered a broken leg as the result of his horse falling on him during a hare and hound chase in the winter of 1900. He is a young man of strong physique, high purpose and energy, and is much esteemed among his associates and friends.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 217-18.
John B. Martell, one of the leading old settlers of Chisago county, Minnesota, is known throughout that locality as a gentleman of good business capacity and active public spirit. He is a resident of Rush City, where he has been associated in business for many years.
Mr. Martell was born on a farm in Nova Scotia, in 1831. His father, Joseph Martell, was a farmer by occupation. He died at Minneapolis, Minnesota. Our subject was reared and educated in Nova Scotia, where he learned the trade of house joiner and ship carpenter. He began working for himself after attaining his majority and followed his trade in Canada about eight years. He conducted a hotel in Cape Breton, Canada, six years. He went to St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1869, and the following year moved to Rush City and in the fall of the same year entered into the mercantile business. He was in partnership with Patrick Flynn two years and then sold his interest to his partner and for the next three or four years was engaged in buying and shipping wood to the cities.
In the fall of 1874 Mr. Martell opened a drug and grocery business, this being the first drug store in Rush City. He later added a stock of farm machinery, sewing machines, etc., and continued in this business in partnership with his son-in-law, S. C. Johnson, for sixteen years. He sold his interest to his son-in-law in 1892 and retired from active business pursuits until 1895, when he established a feed store. He has conducted this succesfully [sic] for the past seven years and enjoys a good patronage.
Mr. Martell was married in 1857. Mrs. Martell died in Canada. Mr. Martell was again married in 1873. Two daughters, and four sons were born, of whom the daughters are now living, and are as follows: Mary A., wife of S. C. Johnson, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work; and Nellie M., wife of J. D. Markham, a prominent attorney of Rush City. Mr. Martell has served in many of the local public offices, including twenty years as village justice, a member of the city council, village treasurer, member of the school board and president of the same for many years. He was one of the first councilmen and took an active part in the city's incorporation. He is a Republican and a zealous worker for the principles of that party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 547-48.
John Martens, one of the most extensive farmers of Deerhorn township, is a pioneer of Wilkin county. He has prospered and is proprietor of a fine farm, where he enjoys all the comforts of a rural home. He has a wide circle of acquaintances and is held in the highest esteem by all.
Mr. Martens was born in Germany, October 25, 1831. His father, Henry Martens, was a merchant in Germany, and died in that country in 1847. Our subject was the youngest of a family of nine children and he attended school until he was sixteen years of age, when he entered his father's store as assistant and at the death of his father was given charge of the store. In 1851 he enlisted in the Germany army and was in the service two years and eleven months. He came to America in 1854, landing in New York city. He went to Buffalo, New York, where he stayed about two months and then went to Chicago and engaged in the butcher business with his brother-in-law. He moved to Wisconsin in 1865 and took a homestead and proved up on this farm and placed valuable improvements thereon. He lived there for about nineteen years, until 1884, when he moved to Wilkin county and purchased a farm in Deerhorn township. He built a small frame house and a sod barn and he did his first farming in Wilkin county with horses, having provided himself with stock when locating here. He drove a herd of cattle from Wisconsin to Minnesota, and when he moved from Chicago to his Wisconsin homestead he drove over three hundred and eleven sheep the entire distance. He is now owner of six hundred and thirty acres of land, and he has placed nearly all of this under cultivation and has improved it with substantial buildings. He has all necessary machinery and follows diversified farming successfully.
Mr. Martens was married in 1854 to Miss Sophia M. Evert. Mrs. Martens was born in Germany and was reared in her native land. Her father, John Everet, following farming in Germany, where he died several years ago. Ten children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Martens, five of whom are now living, and are as follows: Frederick, born November 18, 1865; Carl, born November 13, 1872; Henry, born October 30, 1875; Fredericka born October 21, 1878; and William born December 3, 1881. Mr. Martens is a Democrat, but does not take an active part in public affairs, giving his entire attention to his farming.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 593-94.
Jacob Marty, one of the prominent early settlers of Pine county, Mennisota [sic], has a fine farm in Rock Creek township, and is a worthy citizen of his community.
Mr. Marty was born in Switzerland, in 1855. His father, Samuel Marty, was a miner by occupation. Of a family of eleven children our subject was the fifth in order of birth. He was reared and educated in his native land, and as a young boy worked in the factories there, becoming used to hard work. He later learned the tailor's trade and followed the same in Switzerland. He left his native soil in 1880 and ventured to the new world to make his fortune. He reached Rush City, Minnesota, March 31, 1880, and for the first year was in the employ of Fred Marty, Sr. He then purchased his present farm and built a log house thereon. He lived in this dwelling some fifteen years. The country was swampy and was most unpromising when he decided to improve a tract and become a permanent settler there. He did his first farm work with oxen, using them for about ten years before horses were available. He has improved his farm by the erection of a complete set of substantial farm buildings, and the high cultivation of the land, and keeps a supply of machinery and equipments for conducting a model farm. He is the owner of one hundred and twenty acres of land, of which about half is under cultivation and the rest is timber and pasture, and he engages successfully in stock raising and dairying.
Mr. Marty was married in 1882 to Miss Susanna Trempler. Mrs. Marty was born in Switzerland and came to America in 1882. To this marriage five children have been born, namely: Lizzie, Minnie, Samuel, John and Anna. Mr. Marty is a Republican in political sentiment and he is a gentleman of broad mind and keeps pace with the times in public affairs.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 337.
Michael H. Mason, well known as a genial and successful hotel keeper at Nassau, Minnesota, has made close friends with the traveling public, and is remembered by a multitude of people who have shared his hospitality of bed and table. He was born at Hartford, Wisconsin, August 15, 1860, where his father, Yenky H., who came of an old English family, was engaged in farming, and where he died in 1864.
Mr. Mason, whose name appears at the opening of this article, was the third member of a family of four children, and he was reared to manhood under the family roof tree, and given a good education in the public schools of the old Wisconsin community. When he reached the age of twenty-one years he removed to New Richmond, Wisconsin, where he made his home until 1887. That year he came to Nassau, Minnesota, or rather to what was the site of the village that afterward became Nassau, and building the first house on the site became the founder of the village. Here he began in the grain business, in which he continued until 1895. That year he opened the first general store in the village, which, however, he sold out the same year, and for several years was engaged in farming. In 1902 he came back to the village and entered business as a hotel man in which he has been highly successful.
Mr. Mason was married April 3, 1885, to Miss Katie Connor, who was born in Stanton, Wisconsin, in 1863. They have a family of seven children, all of whom except the oldest were born in Lac-qui-parle county. She was born at Deer Park, Wisconsin. Their names and dates of birth are as follows: May F., February 7, 1886; Don G., July 25, 1889; Harold, February 21, 1892; Delia, October 2, 1894; Ethel, March 26, 1897; Catherine, March 21, 1899; and Margaret, December 27, 1902.
Mr. Mason is independent in his political relations, and has served his neighbors in various capacities. He has been on the village board and has acted as assessor. For fifteen years he has been school treasurer. At the present time he owns a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, and has owned several hundred more, but since moving to town has sold out the most of his land. He is landlord of the Nassau Hotel, and has done much to improve the town. He has been secretary and seller of the Farmers' Mercantile Elevator since 1898, and its present success is largely attributable to his good management.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 415-16.
A prominent place among the list of prosperous and energetic farmers of Wilkin county is accorded the gentleman's name mentioned above. For many years he has been engaged in farming in Mitchell township, and conducts an extensive estate.
Mr. Matz was born on a farm in Posen, Prussia, Germany, in 1865. His father, J. L. Matz, served in the German army in 1848. He was a farmer by occupation and spent his life in his native land. Our subject was the sixth in order of birth in a family of seven children, and he remained in his native land until he was fifteen years of age, and assisted with the work on the home farm. He came to the United States in January, 1881, landing in New York City, and from there came direct to Green Lake county, Wisconsin. He spent one winter in the lumber woods and two years altogether in that state, and in 1883 took a trip to Missouri. The next year he traveled through North Dakota, northern Minnesota, and back to Wisconsin, and in the spring of 1886 again went to North Dakota and then to Wilkin county, Minnesota, where he worked for others one year. He rented a farm in McCauleyville township, now Nordeck township, and lived there alone for some time. In 1890 he settled permanently on a farm in section 23 of Mitchell township, and in 1892 he bought one hundred and twenty acres in section 20, and there followed farming until 1899, when he bought the south half of section 19 of Mitchell township. This was an unimproved farm and he at once erected a set of good buildings and began the improvement and cultivation of a model farm. He now owns four hundred and forty acres, all but ninety acres of which he has placed under cultivation, and he is recognized as one of the substantial farmers of his township. He lost half his crop by hail and has met with losses from time to time of stock, but withal he has prospered through good management and strict attention to details of his farming and enjoys a comfortable rural home.
Mr. Matz was married in 1890 to Miss Ida Aigner. Mrs. Matz was born in Wisconsin and is a daughter of Ferdinand Aigner, an old settler of Wilkin county, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Matz are the parents of four living children, namely: Willie, Roland, Edith and May, besides two deceased. Mr. Matz is a leading citizen of Mitchell township, and has served as a member of the township board for three years and as school clerk three years. In political sentiment he is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 322-23.
John C. McCormick, who with his sons, conducts one of the best farms of Graceville township, is one of the early settlers of Big Stone county. He was a pioneer of Traverse county, Minnesota, and has been identified with the development of the agricultural resources of this part of Minnesota, for many years. He is a man of systematic labor and honest dealings and has accumulated a good property, and incidentally gained the esteem and highest regard of his associates.
Mr. McCormick was born in Washington county, Maine, in 1839. His father, Cornelius McCormick, was born in Ireland and died in 1843. The mother of our subject, Bridget (Gleason) McCormick, was also a native of Ireland. Our subject was the eldest of a family of five children and he resided in his native state until he was fourteen yars [sic] of age and in 1853 came to Kingston, Ontario, Canada, where he lived, for a short time and then returned to the east. At the age of eightteen [sic] years he learned the stone cutter's trade and followed the same in Canada. He came to Ohio in 1862 and there worked for coal mining companies. He resided in Ohio until 1879 and then located in Parnell township, Traverse county, Minnesota, taking land as a homestead. He built a good sized claim shanty, which served as a home for the family for about six years and he proved up on his claim. His first farm work was done with oxen and he broke a large part of his farm with oxen. He raised his first crop in 1879, consisting of ten acres of wheat, ten acres of corn, and the vegetables for the use of the family, including the potatoes for winter use, the best potatoes ever raised on the place. In 1885 he bought his present home farm in section 27 in Graceville township, and has since been a resident of Big Stone county. He used oxen for about two years after locating here. There was a small tract of land broken for cultivation. In 1892 Mr. McCormick met with a severe loss by fire, which destroyed his barn with machine shed, seven horses, harnesses, three binders, and other property, the loss aggregating about $5,000, with but $700 insurance. Mr. McCormick is assisted in the operation of his farm by his two sons, Richard and John. The home farm consists of four hundred and twenty acres, all of which is under plow. They have a fine grove of five acres surrounding the house and they have some fruit trees. The sons have engaged in well drilling for some years and now operate two well drilling machines. They have drilled many wells throughout that region.
Mr. McCormick was married in 1863 to Miss Bridget McKnight. Mrs. McCormick was born in Ireland, and came to America about 1850. She died on the farm in Big Stone county in 1895. Two sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. McCormick, namely: Richard and John. Richard was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, in 1864, and is now married, and resides on the farm with his father. John was born in 1866, and served in the Fifteenth Minnesota regiment in the Spanish-American war. He also resides at home. Mr. McCormick is actively interested in the welfare of his community and has held numerous local offices, including chairman of the township board of supervisors, and has also been a school officer since residing in Minnesota. He is politically a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 505.
William McKinnon, the oldest resident business man of Cloquet, Minnesota, is also one of the pioneers of Carlton county, and is known as a citizen of worth. He has taken great interest in the development of the locality in which he has chosen to reside, and many of the buildings of that locality are the result of his handiwork as a builder. He is now proprietor of the McKinnon Hotel, and has a prosperous and increasing business.
Mr. McKinnon was born on a farm in the province of Nova Scotia, Canada, April 5, 1853. His father, Henry McKinnon, was born in Canada, and the mother, Elexes (McDonald) McKinnon, was born in Scotland and came to America when she was about nine years of age.
Of a family of eight children our subject was the fifth in order of birth. He was reared on the farm and received a common-school education during a few months each winter, but was employed closely upon the home farm. He remained there until he was twenty-five years of age, and from the age of eighteen years managed the farm. He located in Minnesota in 1879, and followed carpenter work and house building at Stillwater. He worked some at the trade in Canada, and after taking up his residence in Stillwater worked at the trade one year. September 9, 1880, he went to Cloquet, taking the railroad to the Cloquet lumber mill and walking on the ties the rest of the distance. He and a gang of carpenters came to build the C. N. Nelson Lumber Company's sawmill. He was engaged in steady employment on the mill one year. In the fall of 1881 he returned to Nova Scotia, and the following spring returned to Stillwater, Minnesota. After a short time he settled in Cloquet, where he took charge of the work of building for the Brandenburg Lumber Company. The crew built additions, tram roads, planing mills, etc., and were engaged at the work until the fall of 1883. Mr. McKinnon was then taken seriously ill with typhoid fever, and was confined to his bed for three months. In the winter of 1883 he became interested in the hotel business, and conducted the lumber company's boarding house for one year after which he conducted a restaurant, fruit and confectionery store for three years at the corner of A and Arch streets. Fire destroyed the building and contents, together with two other stores, in the winter of 1887, entailing a loss to Mr. McKinnon of about two thousand dollars. During the summer of 1888 he started the building of the McKinnon House, and was architect and builder of the entire plant. He erected a 28x50-feet, three-story building, and this was the first hotel of any size built in the town of Cloquet. In 1888 he was elected sheriff of Carlton county by the Republicans and Democrats, being nominated by the first named party and endorsed by the second. During his first year as sheriff he succeeded in bringing to justice nine of the toughest characters of the county and landing them in the state prison at Stillwater. In 1890 he was again elected county sheriff, and again in 1892 and 1896, holding the office eight consecutive years to the satisfaction of all. In 1897 he began the erection of the last addition to the McKinnon house, and the hotel now covers ground space 60x90 feet and is three stories in height. It is equipped with electric lights, water works and other modern improvements, and is one of the finest hotels in the city.
Mr. McKinnon was married in the spring of 1882 to Miss Anna C. Muggah. Mrs. McKinnon was born in Nova Scotia and was raised in the same community as our subject. She was of Scotch and German descent. Mr. and Mrs. McKinnon are the parents of two children, namely: William Henry and Ellen Elexes. Mr. McKinnon is prominent in village and township affairs. In the spring of 1900 he was elected president of the village board. He has been a member of the city council, and also a member of the town board and among the early supervisors in his township. He is a stanch Republican and has attended numerous county conventions, and for the past year has served as chairman of the county central committee. He was re-elected mayor of Cloquet in the spring of 1901, In addition to the hotel business, he is engaged in farming, and has proven beyond a doubt that agriculture does pay in this part of Minnesota.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 276-77.
There were 1710 visitors from 12 May 2006 to 4 Jul 2011. Visitor stats were lost 5 Nov 2005 to 12 May 2006 because of a broken counter. There were 1124 visitors from 29 May 2001 to 5 Nov 2005.
Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN
© 2001 - 2011