This gentleman is one of the moving spirits of Dawson, and indeed of Lac-qui-parle county, and in the various capacities in which he appeared before the public has proved himself a man of character and far more than the ordinary ability.
Mr. Paige was born in the Province of Quebec, Canada, in 1845, and is a son of Daniel W. Paige, who was born of old American stock in New Hampshire, and had gone to Canada to engage in farming. Charles W., his second child in a family of four children, lived to early manhood in Canada, and then came back to Massachusetts, where he secured a place as clerk in a hardware store. This was in 1863, and he was then eighteen years old, and for some four years he remained a clerk in the hardware store. At the expiration of that time he came west to Illinois, and was there for about a year, when he removed to Minnesota. In 1871 he came to Lac-qui-parle county, and taking up government land, kept "bachelor's hall" for some two years. After this he left the farm, and living in the village of Lac-qui-parle, spent some years in farming and trading. He lived there until the fall of 1890. In 1885 he put in a small stock of hardware. In company with Philip Fortz, this stock was enlarged into a general line of goods. In 1890 Mr. Paige came to Dawson, where he had already bought out the Dawson "Sentinel." Here he was in the newspaper business ten years, after which he sold out, and now devoted himself entirely to the postoffice to which he was first appointed in 1899, and was reappointed for a second term December 17, 1903, being the first appointee under the presidential rule. He is a staunch Republican, and from 1883 to 1888 was probate judge of Lac-qui-parle county. He has taken much interest in educational affairs, and has done a vast work in the building up of the public schools of the village.
Mr. Paige was married in 1878 to Miss Rose Putnam. She was born in Illinois, and came of old American stock. Her father, Kitridge H., was a broommaker. To this marriage were born three children: Frank H., now a telegraph operator on the Northern Pacific; Ellen C.; and Daniel P.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 448.
William H. Parker, the leading druggist of Maple Lake, Minnesota, is a gentleman of long experience in his line of business and enjoys the confidence of his patrons and the highest esteem of all who know him.
Mr. Parker was born in Wisconsin, October 18, 1863. His father, Henry C. Parker, was born in Rhode Island, and the mother of our subject Sophia M. (Kuehl) Parker, was a native of Germany. Our subject was born at Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, and left there at the age of six years, the family locating in Iowa. He attended the school at Northwood, Worth county, and graduated at the Drew Medical College, in 1888. In the fall of 1896 he came to Maple Lake and established himself in the drug business. From 1881 until 1895 he was associated with George C. Parker in the same business in Minneapolis, and they owned two drug stores there for fifteen years. He carries a complete line of drugs in his present store, the stock being valued at $2,000. He has built up a good trade here and is one of the prominent citizens of Wright county.
Mr. Parker was married in 1893 to Marie E. Niles, who was born in Austin, Minnesota, October 24, 1865. One son, Ralph H., has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Parker. Mr. Parker is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Eastern Star, Royal Neighbors, and the Modern Woodmen of America at Maple Lake.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 823.
Harry R. Patterson, a prominent business man of Duluth, Minnesota, conducts an extensive transfer, livery, and vehicle business and is closely identified with the commercial interests of the city.
Mr. Patterson was born near Appleton, Wisconsin in 1855. His father, John Patterson, was born in England and served in the English army. He came to America during the pioneer days of Wisconsin, and engaged in farming in that state, where his death occurred in 1859. The mother of our subject was born in the state of New York, and was of old Yankee stock.
Our subject was the second child in the family, and he was reared and educated in Wisconsin. He started for himself at the age of twelve years, and worked at farm labor, receiving limited school advantages. At the age of twenty-two he went to Colorado, where he followed silver mining for three years, and was engaged in prospecting. He went to Foster county, North Dakota, in 1880 and took a homestead, tree claim and pre-emption, and passed through claim shanty experiences, living alone on his place for three or four years. He spent about nine years in North Dakota and then came to West Duluth and was among the first business men in the town. He worked for the Duluth Furniture Company one year and during this time served as a village councilman with the second set of village officers. He was appointed chief of police at West Duluth in the spring of 1893 and held office until the year following when West Duluth and Duluth were consolidated. In 1895 Mr. Patterson went to Proctor Knot and engaged in the real estate and mercantile business there, and also served four years as postmaster. He returned to West Duluth in 1899 and established a livery business, which he has since conducted. His barn is located on the corner of Ramsey and Fifty-fifth avenue west, and he also has a branch stable at Scanlon, where a foreman is in charge. A dray line is also conducted in connection with the livery barn, and he also has a blacksmith shop where he does general repairing. He has from six to ten men in employ and does an extensive business in his line. He is interested with Robert L. Cochrane in the sale of vehicles, and draft and driving horses.
Mr. Patterson was married in 1899. He is one of the early settlers of Duluth and has done his full share toward the development of the commercial and social interests of that city. He votes independent of party and is actively interested in local public affairs.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 828.
William Baird Patton, city engineer of Duluth, St. Louis county, Minnesota, is one of the most able men of his calling in the west. He has had wide experience in engineering, and many of the important engineering feats of that section of the country have been conceived by him and carried into execution through his supervision.
Mr. Patton was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 14, 1860. His father was of old American stock and was a merchant. On the mother's side of the family some of the ancestors took part in the Revolutionary war. Our subject was educated in the public schools of his native city, and then entered the University of Pennsylvania, graduating from that institution as civil engineer in 1880. He worked in Philadelphia in the surveying department and also did surveying in Virginia. He went to Duluth, Minnesota, in July, 1881, as engineer in charge of a party surveying on the Duluth and Winnipeg Railroad. He was thus engaged until 1883, when he was appointed city engineer of Duluth and he served two years in that capacity. From 1885 to '88 he engaged in private practice as civil engineer and in the latter year was elected county surveyor. He served three terms, until January, 1895, when he was again appointed city engineer and filled the position until June, 1897. During his term of office he designed and drew up plans for the present city water works system. From 1897 to 1901 he engaged in private practice and during this time drew the plans and had charge of the construction of the dry dock at West Superior, the largest dry dock on fresh water. He was appointed city engineer in 1901, which office he is now filling in a most creditable manner.
Mr. Patton was married in 1884 to Miss Blanche Hall, who died in 1896, survived by three daughters. Mr. Patton was married in 1901 to Lida W. Mishler, who is of old American stock and whose father is a prominent real estate operator. Mr. Patton is prominent in secret society circles, and is a member of all the Masonic orders, and is a past master, past high priest, past eminent commander, past junior grand warden in the state grand lodge and is past grand patron in the Order of Eastern Star. He has also been a member of the "board of custodians of the work of the Grand Lodge" since the organization of the board. He is a leading church worker and for the past sixteen years has been Sunday school superintendent in the First Baptist church.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 546-47.
Anders B. Pedersen, proprietor of one of the finest farms of Wilkin county, resides in Rothsay, his farm lying within the corporate limits of that village. He is a man of wide experience and has prospered financially and has gained a high station as a business man and citizen.
Mr. Pedersen was born in Sigdahl, Norway, in 1838, where his father was engaged in farming. The parents spent their lives in Norway. Our subject was reared on a farm and as his parents were not in easy circumstances he was early obliged to earn his own way. He served three years as an apprentice and learned the tailor's trade and then went to Christiania and served in the army artillery and spent two years in the regular army. He then returned to his home and followed tailoring and also engaged in farming, remaining there for about eight years. He came to America in 1870, landing in Quebec, and he came direct to Wisconsin, and later to St. Paul, where he lived ten years. He followed his trade there until the fall of 1879 and then bought a lot in Rothsay and erected a building, bringing the first lumber to the town, when the railroad was but graded. He opened a general merchandise store the same fall and the postoffice was then established and he was appointed the first postmaster. His family joined him in Rothsay in 1880. He began in a small store with a small stock and continued in this business until 1891, building up a good business. In 1889 he engaged in manufacturing a patent razor sharpener, and was connected with this factory at Fergus Falls for one year, when the business was moved to Duluth, and the firm was incorporated. He later sold his share of stock and withdrew from the company. He now devotes his attention to his farm, and owns two hundred and forty acres of land in Rothsay. He has good buildings and a fine grove on the place and has one of the best farms of the locality.
Mr. Pedersen was married in St. Paul to Miss Jorgen Watnaas, a native of Norway. Five children have been born of this marriage, two of whom are now living, namely: Selina, attending school; and Alice. Mr. Pedersen has held numerous local offices and is president of the village board and county commissioner of Wilkin county. He votes independent of party and lends his influence for good government and the upbuilding of the better interests of the community where he resides.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 450-51.
Albert E. Peterson, while young in years, is advanced in agricultural knowledge and pursuits, and is classed among the progressive and well-to-do farmers of Swift county. His home farm, recently sold by him at a good price, and upon which he resides at the present writing, is on section 19 of Hayes township and consists of one hundred and sixty acres of well improved property, and was brought to its present state of perfection solely by the energy and good management of the subject of this review. Besides the property above mentioned Mr. Peterson has a farm of eighty acres on section 30 of Hayes township, and an estate of two hundred and forty acres, also well improved, near Brainard [sic], Crow Wing county, Minnesota.
Our subject is a son of Elias and Sophia (Horn) Peterson, and was born in Chisago county, Minnesota, October 24, 1867. His parents were born in Sweden, the father in 1830. He was educated there on his father's farm and after attaining his majority he rented land and farmed on his own account. He was married there in 1856 and of this union ten children were born, our subject being the fourth in order of birth. The father emigrated with his family to America in 1863, and settled in Chisago county, Minnesota, where he purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land. He removed to Swift county in the spring of 1877, and secured a title to a homestead of eighty acres in section 30 of Hayes township and later added eighty acres in section 19 and forty acres on section 5 of Pillsbury township. He is now the owner of two hundred acres and resides with his wife on the homestead farm. He began improvements when first occupying the land, and in a few years completed a comfort able and most desirable home. He is a member of the Swedish Lutheran church and was one of its deacons for fifteen consecutive years, but of late declining health has prevented his active work in this direction. In politics he is a Republican. He and family are greatly respected in the community.
Albert E. Peterson was early initiated into the business of farming and between times he secured an education in the public schools, remaining at home with his parents until he reached manhood. He was the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of land at the age of nineteen years. He devoted much time and displayed good taste in the improvement of his property and developed one of the best farms of its size in Swift county. A handsome residence, a large modern barn, and groves of shade trees placed on rising ground near the highway and overlooking his well tilled fields, made the home place very attractive and commanded a high price when recently sold. Mr. Peterson will occupy his other farm and continue to make his home in Swift county near the home of his parents and amidst his many friends.
On the twenty-fourth of June, 1894, Mr. Peterson was united in marriage with Miss Minnie Swanson, a daughter of Johannes and Tilly Swanson, both of whom were natives of Sweden, where Mrs. Peterson was also born. She came to America with her cousins, members of the Larson family, in 1891. Shortly afterwards her parents followed, but the mother died on reaching New York, a terrible blow to the joyous expectations of welcoming the mother to a new home in the west. Mr. Swanson resides with his eldest son, Charles, in Kildare township, Swift county, and another brother also makes his home there. Mr. Peterson has served as assessor of his township and was census enumerator for the town in 1900. He is a member of the Swedish Lutheran church and is a Republican in politics. He is a stockholder in the Murdock Creamery and a director of the Murdock and Carlson Telephone Company. He is a thorough business man and is classed among the substantial and worthy citizens of his community. The surviving brothers and sisters of our subject are as follows: John; Emma, widow of John Beckman; Mary, wife of Ferdinand Beckman; Alexander; and Josie, widow of John Hawkinson.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 383-84.
Edward H. Peterson, one of the pioneer merchants of Madison, Minnesota, holds a prominent place as a man of intelligence and sterling citizenship. He has prospered to a marked degree and his enterprising nature and good business judgment have placed him among the foremost business men west of Minneapolis. His patronage extends throughout Lac-qui-parle county.
Mr. Peterson was born at St. Peter, Nicollet county, Minnesota, in 1864. His father was a farmer and was born in Norway. He came to America when a boy and was a pioneer settler of Minnesota. He served in the Indian wars in Minnesota and was in the battle of Ft. Ridgley.
Our subject was the fourth of a family of seven children and was reared in Renville county on his father's homestead farm. He attended the common schools and assisted his father with the work on the farm and remained at home until after he attained his majority. At the age of twenty-two years he came to Lac-qui-parle county, and established a hardware store in Madison, being one of the earliest merchants of the town. He established a hardware and harness shop and continued this business for sixteen years. In 1898 he added farm machinery and implements and now has one of the largest stores in Madison. He also engaged in the wood and fuel business and conducts an extensive business, employing seven clerks regularly and at times has an additional number employed. He started in a building 22 by 30 feet and later enlarged this to 22 by 100 feet. In 1895 his stock and building were destroyed by fire and in 1896 he erected his present store building, 25 by 120 feet, two stories high. The second floor is used as a display room. He has a complete stock of hardware, one of the best to be found west of Minneapolis. He is also interested in farm lands and owns three hundred and twenty acres which he has operated for the past seven years.
Mr. Peterson was married in 1888 to Miss Randi Uglen. Mrs. Peterson was born in Norway and came to America at the age of seventeen years. Her father is one of the early residents of Lac-qui-parle county. Mr. and Mrs. Peterson are the parents of six children, all of whom were born in Madison, Minnesota. They are named as follows: Hannah, Manfred, Palmer, Ruth, Olive and Ernest. Mr. Peterson is a member of the United Lutheran church and for five years was secretary of the local church. He assisted in the erection of the house of worship and takes a leading part in all church work. He is a man of active public spirit and has served as a member of the village council for the past seven years. In political faith be is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 614-15.
A drive through the highly cultivated fields of Chisago county convinces one of the thrift enjoyed in that locality, and the visitor at the home of Frank O. Peterson is impressed with the fact that careful management and honest industry are prominent characteristics of the owner, whose highly cultivated tract compares favorably with that of any farm in the county. Mr. Peterson resides in section 29 of Chisago Lake township, and he has gathered about him the comforts and many of the luxuries of rural life.
Our subject was born in Smoland, Sweden, in 1846. His father was a farmer by occupation. He came to America about 1870 and passed away some years ago at the home of our subject. Mr. Peterson was reared and educated in his native land and at the age of twenty-three years came to America, landing at New York city. He went to Red Wing, Minnesota, and from there to Keokuk, Iowa, where he worked on a canal for six months, after which he went to Illinois and followed railroad work for three years. He went to Marine, Minnesota, in 1874 and worked in the saw mill and in the pineries for five years. He purchased his present farm in Chisago county in 1876. His first dwelling was built of logs, and he lived therein for some seven years. His land was covered with heavy timber and he cleared and grubbed the same, and the first team used in his farm work were oxen. He suffered the loss of his dwelling by fire in 1889. He now has a comfortable farm residence, good barn and other farm buildings, plenty of machinery and every convenience of modern farming and has made a success of grain and stock raising. He owns two hundred and thirty-five acres of land, of which he has placed about one hundred acres under plow, and the rest is pasture, timber and meadow.
Mr. Peterson was married in 1871 to Miss Liza Peterson. Mrs. Peterson was born in Sweden and came to America in 1869. She died in 1884, leaving three children born of the union, namely: Anna Louise, August William, and John Ulrich. Mr. Peterson was married to Miss Johannah Jonason in 1885. To this marriage three children have been born, namely: Amanda Christine, Carl Arthur, and Edward.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 465.
Herman Conrad Peterson, one of the truly self-made business men of Clarissa, Todd county, is engaged in a profitable business as hardware merchant and manufacturer. He was born in Glatved, Jyland, Denmark, August 29, 1865.
The parents of our subject, Peter and Emarenza (Krag) Peterson, spent their lives in their native land. There were twelve children in the family, and after the mother's death the father married Julia Fisher. The step-mother of our subject is now a resident of Denmark.
Herman C. Peterson was the youngest child in his father's family. There are but four of the family now living, and of these our subject is the only one in America. Johannes is a man of wealth and makes his home in Copenhagen; a sister, Edle, is unmarried; Anna is the wife of A. Baastrup and resides in the city of Aarhus, Denmark. Her husband is a contractor and builder there, and is engaged extensively in the business.
Herman Peterson left Denmark for America in 1886 and came direct to Minnesota, and sought and found employment on the ore docks of Two Harbors, and in this occupation spent six or seven months. He then went to Larimore, North Dakota, and helped for a season in the harvest fields. He was accompanied by several of his countrymen, none of whom were familiar with the English language, nor with the "ways that are dark and tricks that are mean" of a few of the extensive wheat growers of that region. The result was he and his companions were robbed of their first earnings. Mr. Peterson then made his way to Minneapolis, and found employment as clerk, at which he worked nine months, and then started over the country selling jewelry in the western states, using his own team and buggy, and thus made canvassing a profitable business. Having acquired some capital, he began the manufacture of electric belts, and sold them himself throughout the west, and also conducted the business extensively through the mails, following this line five years. He came to Nelson, Douglas county, in 1897, and opened up a hardware store and associated with it a general line of merchandise. He carries a stock valued at from four to five thousand dollars, and also continues the manufacture of electric belts, which he sends by mail all over the United States, and is increasing his facilities for doing a more extensive business in that direction. He also manufactures insect powder, and is doing a good business with that commodity. In connection with his hardware business he carries dry goods, jewelry and musical instruments. He owned two lots in the town of Nelson and the store building in which he conducted his business. He sold out his interests in Nelson in the fall of 1901 and removed to Clarissa, Minnesota, where he continues the same business.
Mr. Peterson was married, October 8, 1893, to Myamy Booher, daughter of Andrew J. and Lucinda (Miller) Booher. Mrs. Peterson's parents reside in Minnesota. The father was a native of Ohio and was a blacksmith by trade. The mother was born in Minnesota, of German parentage. Mr. and Mrs. Peterson are the parents of five children, namely: Rosetta, Roy C., Leo T., Grace E. and Earl P. Mr. Peterson is a member of the Danish Lutheran church, and Mrs. Peterson is a member of the Presbyterian denomination. Mr. Peterson also holds membership in the Court of Honor. He sold, in 1901, over eleven thousand dollars worth of insect powder.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 299-300.
To the agriculturists of Chisago county much of the prosperity enjoyed there is due. These persevering, industrious and honest citizens, who have the interests of the community at heart, have put their shoulders to the wheel and turned the machinery which has brought about the most pleasing results in the development of the financial and social interests of that region. Farming carries with it an extensive knowledge which is only gained by experience, and the agriculturists of Chisago county are men of wide experience and have stood the test of many years in their calling. Among the number the gentleman above named takes a prominent place. He has a pleasant home in section 19 of Chisago Lake township, and has acquired this valuable property by his own labors.
John Maheo Peterson was born in Kronebargeslan, Sweden, in 1834. His father was a farmer, and died in Sweden. Our subject was reared on the home farm. He came to the United States in 1858, and later moved to Stillwater, Minnesota. He made his home there for ten years, and was in the lumber woods during the winters and on the lake in summer. He went to the state of Washington in 1868 and spent fifteen years lumbering in that state. In 1882 he decided to try his fortunes in Minnesota as an agriculturist, and accordingly went to Chisago county and purchased forty-five acres of land. During the past twenty years he has given his attention wholly to his farming operations and he has met with good results, and is now the owner of a well-improved estate.
Our subject was married in 1890 to Fredericka Johnson. Mrs. Peterson is the mother of four living children by a former marriage. Our subject is a wide awake citizen and casts his vote with the Republican party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 443-44.
Otto Peterson, probably one of the best known farmers of Parnell township, Traverse county, is proprietor of a valuable estate, all of which he has acquired by his persistent labors there.
Mr. Peterson was born in Smoland, Sweden, in 1852. His father was a farmer and came to America in 1874 with our subject. Otto Peterson was the youngest of a family of eight children, and he was reared and educated in his native land and worked at railroading and farming there. He came to America in 1874 and from New York city came direct to Kandiyohi county, where he worked at farming and railroading. He was also employed in Minneapolis and worked on the railroad in different parts of central Minnesota, and was an employee of what is now the Great Northern Railroad Company. He came to Traverse county by team from Morris in the spring of 1878 and settled on land as a homestead in section 17 of Parnell township. He and two others took the land together and they put up a sod shanty and in the spring of 1879 Mr. Peterson returned to the farm and had other improvements put thereon. He had no teams and nothing to begin with and he worked out for several years. Herman and Morris were his nearest trading points on the railroad. When he first settled there his nearest neighbor was five miles distant. He lived on his homestead until 1892, when he disposed of his interests there and bought the right to a tree claim in section 27 of the same township, where he has since resided. He planted a large share of the trees which are now on the place. He has good buildings and has built up a prosperous farm business. In 1893 he purchased one hundred and sixty acres in the northeast quarter of section 27 and he now owns three hundred and twenty acres of land, of which two hundred and ten acres is under cultivation. He has twelve acres of trees on that place, which add to the beauty as well as the value of the property. He devotes his attention entirely to his farm work and well merits his success as a farmer.
Mr. Peterson keeps abreast of the times and lends his influence for good government and votes independent of party, and is a Republican in political sentiment.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 432-33.
Pete Peterson, Jr., who enjoys the distinction of being the oldest settler of Hamlin township, Lac-qui-parle county, has been a potent factor in the transformation of this region from its wild state to a highly cultivated agricultural district. He is a man of wide experience and indomitable will and has met with pronounced success in his chosen calling.
Mr. Peterson was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, November 29, 1853, his father then residing on a farm in Primrose township. The father came to America in April, 1853, and settled on a farm in Wisconsin and in 1859 removed to Mower county and later to Lac-qui-parle county. Our subject was reared in Mower county and at the age of eighteen years started for himself. In May, 1878, he came to Lac-qui-parle county, coming by team from Iowa, spending the time from April 25 to May 10, en route. He settled on his farm in Hamlin township, November 2, taking a homestead claim to land in section 2. His first building was a sod house 14 by 16 feet, and this served as his home for the first six years. Appleton, twenty-three miles distant, was the nearest town. Hail destroyed part of his crop one season, and he has had many discouragements. He has remained on the farm and is now the owner of four hundred acres of valuable land, three hundred and fifty acres of which is under cultivation, and the rest is pasture and meadow. He has a set of fine buildings, commodious and conveniently arranged and has one of the finest farms of his township.
Mr. Peterson was married in 1872 to Miss Lena Jacobson, a native of Norway. Six children complete the family circle, and they are named as follows: Serena E., Perry O., Lizzie, Elmer, Manfred J., and Lester P. All but the eldest were born in Lac-qui-parle county. Ten children born to Mr. and Mrs. Peterson are now deceased. Mr. Peterson assisted in the organization of his township, and was one of the first set of township officers, being appointed supervisor by the county commissioners. He was elected on the first board of supervisors and served as chairman of the board many terms thereafter. He is a stanch Republican and when the township had but four Republican voters he stood firmly for the principles.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 727.
For many years prior to his demise this gentleman was widely known as a citizen of active public spirit, and a farmer and old settler of untiring energy. The pioneers who remain in his home, township and county will readily recall his many acts of kindness and his zealous labors for the upbuilding of the better interests of Walls township. He built up a good home and left his family in comfortable circumstances. Mrs. Phelan has managed the estate since the death of her husband and she has a fine property, well improved and bringing a good income.
Our subject was born in Ireland, in May, 1828. He was raised and educated in Kilkenney, Ireland, and left home at the age of nineteen years and settled in Chicago where he worked as a laborer. He came to Minnesota in 1855 and was one of the pioneers of the Twin Cities. He lived in St. Paul for three years. He took a pre-emption claim in Scott county and lived there eighteen years on two different tracts. He disposed of his interests there in 1879 and came to Traverse county and settled on his farm in Walls township. He erected a dwelling, 21 by 16 feet, at that time the finest house in the county, and in the spring of 1880 he erected other buildings and the family joined him in the new home. Herman was the nearest town and he did his farming with oxen and hauled his supplies from Herman with oxen. He shipped the first car load of wheat shipped from Dumont. Since his death in 1884, the farm has been operated by Mrs. Phelan and her children and they now own five hundred and sixty acres of land, upon which stand good buildings and all necessary improvements. Mrs. Phelan has operated the farm as a grain and stock raising farm and has met with financial success in her business. The family have passed through pioneer experiences and during the winter of 1880-81 they passed through one of the most severe storms ever witnessed in that region. They had all groceries on hand, but fuel was scarce and they hauled fuel from the lake banks through the deep snows. The first school in Walls township was held in the residence of Mr. Phelan during the winter of 1880-81, and Mr. Howard Robinson was the teacher. During the same winter they tunneled under the snow to get into the barn and the winter will long be remembered by the early settlers of that locality.
James Phelan was married in Chicago in 1853, to Miss Bridget Mooney, who was born at Waterford, Ireland. She came to America with her parents when she was four years of age. Her parents settled in Detroit and three years later moved to Chicago where they resided during the rest of their lives. To Mr. and Mrs. Phelan thirteen children have been born, who are as follows: Ellen, born in 1855, is married and resides in Traverse county; John, born in 1857, is farming in Traverse county; James, born in 1859, is now deceased; Michael, born in 1862, is a barber; Joseph, born in 1863, is a farmer of Traverse county; Mary, born in 1865, is married and resides in Minneapolis; Martin, born in 1867, is farming in North Dakota; James, born in 1869, has a homestead in North Dakota; Maggie, born in 1870, is married and resides in Dakota; Kyran, born in 1872, is farming in Dakota; Patrick, born in 1874, engaged in farming in Traverse county; Bridget, born in 1876, resides with her mother on the home farm; Annie, born in 1878, is engaged in school teaching. Mr. Phelan died in St. Joseph's hospital in St. Paul, Minnesota, November 17, 1884. He was well known throughout that region and his death was deeply felt by a large circle of relatives and friends. He took an active part in local public affairs and was a leader in the upbuilding of his township and county.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 784-85.
Isaac L. Philley, who is one of the leading and responsible citizens of Louisburg, Lac-qui-parle county, was born in New York, June 7, 1856, and a sketch of his father may be found on another page.
Isaac L. Philley grew up in his New York state home and attended school until his removal by his parents to Wabasha county, Minnesota in 1868. He lived at home with them until 1878, when he went to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where he was put in charge of the Oshkosh Lumber Company's yard, and for one year kept books for C. Bates & Son. In the spring of 1882 he came to Lac-qui-parle county to live on his claim, with the purpose of converting the wild land to a model farm. Here he lived until 1898, and in that period had made the farm in every way worthy of comparison with any in the northwest. It comprises three hundred and twenty acres, provided with good buildings, a thrifty and attractive grove and everything in which the eye of a critical farmer delights.
Mr. Philley was married October 22, 1878, to Miss Ada Kimball. The [sic] was born in Wisconsin, February 26, 1855, and to this marriage have come three children: Maria I., born January 10, 1883;, Malinda E., born November 4, 1885; and Lynn K., born May 10, 1890, all of whom were born in Lac-qui-parle county.
Mr. Philley rented his farm in 1898, and removed to town, buying a half interest in a hardware store at Louisburg, in company with J. C. Hewitt, where he has made his home to the present time. In politics he is a Republican, and has been county commissioner for the last twelve years and for seven years has been chairman of the board. For the last eight years he has been a member of the state board of equalization.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 596-97.
Murray E. Philley, one of the enterprising and energetic citizens of Lake Shore township, Lac-qui-parle county, where he takes high rank for his many manly and sterling qualities, was born in New York December 23, 1859, and comes of a long and honored line of patriotic and devoted American citizens. He is justly proud of his lineage, and maintains unsullied the noble name that has come down to him from his fathers.
David L. Philley, the father of the gentleman, with whose name this article begins, was a life-long farmer in New York, until his removal to Wabasha county, Minnesota, in 1868, where he lived to a great age, and passed to his rest March 29, 1903.
Murray E. Philley was fourth in a family of six children, and came to Minnesota with his parents when only eight years old. Here he was reared to manhood, securing his education in the public schools of Wabasha County. In 1880 he removed to Lac-qui-parle county, where he preempted a claim, and building a claim shanty, and a straw shed, entered at once upon its cultivation. He brought horses with him to do his first braking, and was comparatively well-to-do from the start.
Mr. Philley was married December 26, 1884, to Miss Cecilia Hurley. She was born in Pierce county, Wisconsin, June 13, 1859, and has presented her husband with a family of five children, all of whom were born on the Lac-qui-parle county farm: Clarissa A., John L., Edgar E., Edna A., and Homer C.
Mr. Philley affiliates in political affairs with the People's patty, or perhaps more truly speaking is independent in all such matters, holding that personal character and the good of the public is beyond all consideration of party ties and local politics. For fourteen years he has been chairman of the town board, and for two years has been treasurer. He has also filled various positions such as school officer, and is very popular among those who know him best.
Mr. Philley has built up a fine farm of three hundred and twenty-seven acres, nearly all of which is under a high state of cultivation. The grove on his farm, widely known as unusually thrifty, mostly came from seed which he planted, and contains several large maple trees of his planting.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 407.
Wenson Piechouskie, one of the leading old settlers of Traverse county, Minnesota, is engaged in the pursuit of agriculture in Arthur township. He has built up a fine home by his industry and good management, supplemented by honest dealings, and is esteemed as a farmer and citizen.
Mr. Piechouskie was born in Indiana, in 1866. His father, Fred Piechouskie, was of Polish blood and came to America and settled in Indiana. His death occurred in 1899. Our subject was reared in his native state and there received his education in the public schools. At the age of fifteen he began working for others and supported himself. He came to Traverse county in 1888 and bought land upon which he has since resided. He has improved the property until it is one of the comfortable homes of the township and every appointment of the place bespeaks painstaking care in the operation of the farm. The tract is one hundred and sixty acres in extent and is a valuable and highly cultivated farm.
Mr. Piechouskie was married in 1895 to Miss Kate Haanan, who was born in Wisconsin, in 1875. To Mr. and Mrs. Piechouskie five children have been born, namely: Christina, May, John, Ellen and Vincent L. All were born in Traverse county, Minnesota, and are bright children and complete a happy family circle. Mr. Piechouskie is a man of broad ideas and firm convictions and lends his support to every enterprise tending to the public welfare. He is identified with the Democratic party politically. He is one of the prominent men of Arthur township and enjoys the esteem of his fellowmen.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 502.
Frank L. Pierce, a leading business man of Breckenridge, Minnesota, is known throughout Wilkin county as a gentleman of enterprise and progressiveness. He is proprietor of a general mercantile establishment, and also carries a line of drugs. He has prospered in his business affairs and has gained an enviable reputation as a citizen.
Mr. Pierce was born in Waseca county, Minnesota, on a farm in 1871. His father, E. G. Pierce, was a pioneer settler of Waseca county, and was a farmer by occupation. Our subject was the youngest of a family of four children, and he was reared in his native county, and received a liberal education, finishing his studies at the Agricultural College at Brookings, South Dakota. He then taught in Swift, Big Stone and Lac-qui-parle counties, Minnesota, and was thus engaged until 1891, when he came to Breckenridge. He accepted a position as clerk with L. J. Miksche, general merchant, and spent four years in his employ, gaining a practical knowledge of the business. He became a partner of B. W. Cole in 1896, and they bought the general merchandise and drug business established by Joseph Gum in the early eighties. In December, 1901, Mr. Pierce purchased his partner's interest in the business, and he has since been sole proprietor. He carries a complete stock of drugs, groceries and crockery and occupies a store building 22 by 80 feet, with a storage room in the rear. He has prospered by judicious management and strict integrity and well merits his success.
Mr. Pierce was married in 1893 to Miss Lizzie Leonard. Mrs. Pierce was born in Minnesota, and is of old American stock. She is a lady of good education and was a teacher at Appleton, Minnesota. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Pierce, whom they have named May and Leonard. Mr. Pierre is one of the rapidly rising young men of his community, and he has been called upon to serve on the village council and he takes a leading part in local public affairs. In political sentiment he is a Republican and stands firmly for his convictions.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 444-45.
Camille Poirier, the pioneer shoe merchant of Duluth, Minnesota, now engaged in the manufacture of canvas articles, is a business man of wide experience and untiring energy, and commands the respect and esteem of a large circle of acquaintances.
Mr. Poirier was born in the Province of Quebec, Canada, on a farm, in 1838. His father, Joe Poirier, was born in Canada, and was of French descent. The family came from Paris, France, about 1625.
Our subject was reared and educated in his native place and worked on the home farm when a boy. He began an apprenticeship at the shoemaker's trade when fourteen years of age and followed the trade in Massachusetts for three years. He was accidentally injured in 1859 and then returned to his home in Canada, where he remained five years. He came to Minnesota in the spring of 1865, and settled at St. Paul, where he followed his trade five years, and filled the position of foreman for five years. In February, 1870, he came to Duluth. The city was then but a small collection of log buildings and did not boast even a street. Our subject opened the first shoe shop in the place and continued in the shoe business until 1895. He employed twenty-five men at times and in the early days did an extensive business. He discontinued the shoe business in 1895 having established, in 1884 a wholesale and retail business in canvas goods. This business he now conducts and has a large trade, sending pack sacks to Portland, Washington, New York, and other far away places. He has all supplies and tents for explorers, lumbermen, and others, and has a large wholesale trade. He has built several residence properties and business blocks, and has dealt in mining, real estate and lumbering, and has been an extensive employer all his life. In 1896 Mr. John A. Nordstrom became a partner in the business and the same is now conducted under the firm name of Poirier & Nordstrom.
Mr. Poirier was married in 1868 to Miss Margaret J. Lidle. Mrs. Poirier was born in New Brunswick, and is of Scotch and Irish ancestry. She taught school and also engaged in clerking prior to her marriage. Her parents settled in St. Paul about 1860. The family circle is completed by eight children, two of whom are children of a former wife. They are as follows: Gene M., teacher; Lydia M., city librarian; Bert C., mining in Arizona; Otto A., a student at the State University; Stewart and Philip, at school; Eugene, engaged in mining in Montana; and Phabuela, now married. Mr. Poirier was elected county commissioner in 1892 and served in this capacity four years. He was formerly a Republican in political sentiment, but is now affiliated with the Democratic party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 822.
Dr. H. M. Pollock, assistant superintendent of the State Hospital for the Insane at Fergus Falls, Minnesota, was born in the village of Lyons Farms, New Jersey, in 1873. His father, George C. Pollock, was a Presbyterian minister at Litchfield, Minnesota. He was of Irish blood and a native of that Isle, and came to America at the age of eighteen years. He also filled the pastorate of the Presbyterian church at Mankato, Minnesota, and later removed to Fergus Falls. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Mattie Meeker. She was a native of Lyons Farms, New Jersey, and her ancestry dates to the early settlement of New England. Our subject's grandfather Meeker was captain of the Newark Light Horse Brigade, who escorted General Lafayette from his vessel when he visited America. The great-grandfather, Major Meeker, was in the Revolutionary army under Washington. The family were prominent in Revolutionary times and were important factors in the foundation of the government.
Dr. Pollock was the youngest of a family of three children, and he was reared in Minnesota, where the family settled when he was but eight years of age. He was thirteen years of age when the family removed to Fergus Falls, and he there received his education, graduating from the Fergus Falls high school in 1892. He taught school one year and then attended McAlister College at St. Paul one year, after which he began the study of medicine in the University of Minnesota, graduating from that institution in 1897. During his vacation he served as nurse in the hospital at Fergus Falls, and has been connected with that institution since 1893. After graduating from the university he went to New Jersey and began the practice of medicine at the home of his boyhood and at Newark, spending eighteen months there. He then returned to Minnesota and spent a short time at Glencoe and Spring Valley each, and in November, 1899, was appointed assistant physician at the hospital for the insane at Fergus Falls. He later received the appointment of assistant superintendent in the same institution.
Dr. Pollock was married, in June, 1900, to Miss Caroline S. McCune. Mrs. Pollock was born in Wisconsin and taught in the public schools of Fergus Falls previous to her marriage. She is a graduate of the Fergus Falls high school and she completed a normal course at the Winona Normal School and is a lady of rare accomplishments. Her great-grandfather served in the Revolutionary war, and the family now has in its possession the flint lock gun which he carried. Dr. Pollock is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 239.
E. J. Pomeroy, one of the old and honored residents of Lac-qui-parle county, with his home in the pleasant village of Nassau, presents in his own career an inspiring illustration of the power of pluck and persistence against every sort of trial and danger. Such are the men who teach us the uses of adversity, and to whom we may well turn for wisdom in time of trouble.
Mr. Pomeroy was born in Woodville township, Calumet county, Wisconsin, May 26, 1856, where his father, Karl S. Pomeroy, a noble representative of a good old American family, was engaged in farming. In 1869 the father removed to Fillmore county, Minnesota, where he still continued farming. In 1875 he came to Lac-qui-parle county, and settling upon a homestead claim, put up a claim shanty, and in due season proved up on his claim. His death occurred March 20, 1888.
E. J. Pomeroy was the fourth member in a family of six children and was reared to manhood under the parental roof. He was given his education in the Minnesota schools, and profited by such opportunities as they presented at the time. In 1880 he took a homestead in Lac-qui-parle county, building on the ground a claim shanty 10 by 12 feet, and a sod barn. His first breaking was done with oxen, and he confronted all the trials of those pioneer days. In 1896 Mr. Pomeroy sold his farm and moved across the border into South Dakota, where he rented a farm. This he cultivated for a year, then came back to Nassau, and engaged in the occupation of a carpenter, to which he had already been trained. In this work he has built many of the best houses of Nassau, and vicinity, and has always shown himself both a pushing and honest workman.
Mr. Pomeroy was married August 1, 1885, to Miss Alvina Moratsch, a native of Germany, where she was born January 4, 1869. They have one child, Henrich D., born February 15, 1888, in Lac-qui-parle county.
Mr. Pomeroy is a member of the People's party, and has very clear and definite ideas on the general situation of the country. He owns a good house and several lots in Nassau, and also the house in which he lives with six lots. He is highly respected in the community in which he lives, and may well be proud of the honest and useful life which he has led.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 474-75.
Samuel H. Ponsford, one of the most successful farmers of Wright county, Minnesota, has a pleasant home in section 28, of Clearwater township.
Mr. Ponsford was born in England, April 10, 1847. He was a son of Joseph and Sarah (Varr) Ponsford, both of whom were natives of England. Our subject came to America with his parents in 1854, and resided in New York for six years. He was educated in England, New York and Minnesota, coming to Wright county with his father in 1860. The father took a homestead farm in section 28 of Clearwater township and here our subject was reared to manhood. He began farming for himself in 1867, purchasing one hundred and thirty acres on section 28 of Clearwater township. He has prospered and has steadily improved his farm, and now has a comfortable home and is surrounded by all that makes farm life desirable. He has a ten-room house and a large barn, windmill, and all farm machinery for conducting a model farm. He engages in general farming and keeps about forty head of cattle and six horses.
Mr. Ponsford was married in 1867 to Mary Maxwell, who was born in New York, February 21, 1851. Of this union five children have been born, namely: Orville D., Sarah C., Elsie F., James J., and Marion. Mr. Ponsford has served as school clerk for the past sixteen years, and is one of the leading men of his community. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 827-28.
Raleigh M. Pope, the present enterprising and wide-awake editor of the Kanabec County Times, at Mora, Minnesota, was born in Plainview, Wabasha county, Minnesota, June 20, 1874, and is a son of W. H. H. Pope, a native of Vermont, who came to this state about 1850, when quite a lad, and followed the calling of a newspaper man. The career of the senior Pope was a very successful one. He studied and practiced law and was admitted to the bar at Plainview, where he owned a large farm near the city line. He married Miss Eliza Boatman, a native of Indiana.
Raleigh M. Pope is the second member of a family of three children born to his parents, and had his education at Plainview. When he was sixteen years of age he went to Little Falls, Minnesota, to take a position in the Herald, of which his father was one of the owners at the time. There he learned the printing trade in all its parts, and in September, 1895, came to Mora, to work on the Kanabec County Times. This establishment he bought the following January from its founder and proprietor, R. W. Safford. This paper was first published by that gentleman in company with S. E. Tallman in the fall of 1894. It is a six-column quarto weekly publication, and appears on Friday. It is a Republican sheet, and exerts a strong influence for the party. Mr. Pope takes an active interest in party affairs, and has attended the county and state conventions as a delegate on several occasions. He is regarded by those who know him as a rising young man.
Mr. Pope was married in 1896 to Miss Cora Howard, a native of Mille Lacs county, and a daughter of Silas Howard. To this union has come two children, Marie, a bright and charming little tot, who was born in 1897, and Howard, a son, born September 9, 1901.
Mr. Pope is well provided with all the oppointments [sic] he needs for the successful performance of his work. He has a power press, two jobbers, and a gasoline engine, and declares his paper is about the best equipped between Duluth and the Twin Cities. When he took charge of the office of the office [sic] it had only a small hand press, and he has made it what it is.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 227.
In listing the self-made men of Wilkin county, who have become well-to-do agriculturists and have aided materially in the development of the farming interests of this region, a prominent place is accorded the name of Fred F. Poppel. For many years this gentleman has followed farming in Deerhorn township, and he has met with pronounced success and is known as one of the substantial citizens, and well merits his high standing.
Mr. Poppel was born in Germany, July 12, 1856. His father followed the carpenter's trade in Germany, his native land, and died there in 1866. Our subject was the third of a family of four children and he was reared in his native land and received his early education there. He was but ten years of age at the time of his father's death, and he was then thrown upon his own resources. He hired out at farm work and was thus engaged until 1879, when he came to America. He came from Baltimore to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and after two days there secured farm employment and followed this one year. In the fall of 1880 he came to Barnesville, Clay county, Minnesota, and took a homestead, upon which he built a claim shanty and started to make a home there, but the land was poor and he found that he could not make a living therefrom and he let the land revert to the government. He came to Wilkin county in 1887 and purchased a farm in Deerhorn township and built a small shanty and a sod barn. He broke his first land with oxen, but the start had been made and he has steadily pushed forward since that time and is now the fortunate owner of two hundred and eighty acres of land, nearly all of which is under cultivation. He has good farm buildings and his house is surrounded by shade trees and he enjoys a comfortable home. He bought a threshing outfit in 1902 and is now engaged in threshing and has met with good results in this line.
Mr. Poppel was married in 1886 to Miss Tracia Waggoner. Mrs. Poppel was born in Wisconsin, in September, 1867. Her father, Jacob Waggoner, was of German birth. He came to America and located in Wisconsin, where he followed farming. He died in 1894. Mr. and Mrs. Poppel are the parents of nine children, who are as fellows: Leo, born October 8, 1886; Christ, born December 18, 1888; William, born September 14, 1890; Charles and James, twins, born March 25, 1892; Annie, born June 8 1894; Madaline, born February 16, 1899; Henry, born March 7, 1896; and Lucy L., born July 19, 1901. All the children were born on the farm in Wilkin county, Minnesota. Mr. Poppel gives his entire attention to his farming interests and does not enter into public affairs, but he lends his influence for the upbuilding of the better interests of his community, and keeps abreast of the times. In political sentiment he is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 605.
Hubert Pothen, a prominent farmer of Swift county, Minnesota, aided by his sons conducts one of the best cultivated farms in Dublin township. The land is thoroughly worked and the rotation of crops arranged systematically and the very best results are obtained. The home farm, consisting of two hundred acres, is on section 15 of Dublin township, and an additional one hundred and sixty acres lies in section 18 of the same township. A comfortable residence, good barns and other farm buildings, surrounded by a thrifty growth of shade trees, make the home place an abode of comfort and prosperity and an object of beauty on the landscape.
Mr. Pothen was born in Rhine, Prussia, August 11, 1833. His parents, Christian and Margareta Pothen, were farmers of Germany. They reared a family of ten children to become industrious and self-supporting members of society. The parents never visited America, but lived a quiet life and died in their native country.
Hubert Pothen was the youngest member of the family, and after gaining an education as good as the times and circumstances afforded, was drafted into the German army in which he served two and a half years. In 1857 he emigrated to America and made direct for Minnesota, locating near the city of St. Paul. He soon found employment and continued twenty-three years a life of toil and many times privations. He managed by thrift and strict economy to save some capital and in the spring of 1880 he went to Swift county and secured two hundred acres of excellent farming land where his home is now situated. He built a small house, planted trees and set to work diligently to improve his purchase, and is now reaping the reward while passing the declining years of a well spent life in rest and comfort. He later purchased a quarter section of good land on section 18 of the same township, which he farms with profitable results.
Mr. Pothen was married in 1867 to Mary Strub, daughter of Michael and Mary Strub, old time residents of St. Paul, of German birth. Mrs. Pothen died in 1882. Seven children were born of the union, five of whom survive and are as follows: William, Mary (who is the wife of Samuel Crotty), Joseph, Annie C., and John M. The three sons assist their father in the successful operation of the estate and Miss Annie superintends the domestic duties of the home with pleasing tact and good management. Mr. Pothen and family are members of the Catholic church. Politically they incline to the doctrines of Democracy, but take no active part in public affairs.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 771-72.
Gustav Prieb, who within the last decade has acquired one of the valuable farms of Mitchell township, Wilkin county, is a gentleman of intelligence and enterprise. He has met with some discouragements in the way of financial losses, but in the main has prospered and is recognized as one of the substantial agriculturists of his community, and a citizen of worth.
Mr. Prieb was born on a farm in Wisconsin in 1871, and was the eighth child in a family of ten children. He came to Wilkin county, Minnesota, when thirteen years of age, and has since made his own living. He went at farm work early in life and received a limited schooling. He started farming for himself on a rented a farm in 1890 and farmed with oxen until 1893, when he bought his present farm in the northeast quarter of section 6 of Mitchell township. This was a partly improved farm and he lived there alone for the first three years. He owns two hundred and forty-two acres of land, all of which is under cultivation with the exception of the ground where his farm buildings stand. He has erected a large barn with shed the present year and has also a large and comfortable residence, granary, and other necessary farm buildings and has a well improved and thoroughly equipped farm. Before he had made much of a start at his farming he lost three horses and a cow and this was a serious loss, and in 1900 he lost his crop by hail, but despite these drawbacks he has pushed forward and is now in easy circumstances and enjoys a comfortable home.
Mr. Prieb was married in 1897 to Miss Florence Peterson. Mrs. Prieb was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, of German parents. Her father came from Germany about 1861 and served in the Union army in the Civil war. He is an old settler of Wilkin county. Mr. and Mrs. Prieb are the parents of two children, namely: Lila and Nora. Mr. Prieb has served as school director and a member of the board of supervisors of his township and he takes a commendable interest in local public affairs. In political faith he is a Republican, and stands firmly for his convictions.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 352.
Henry Prieb, residing in Mitchell township, Wilkin county, is one of the early pioneers of that region and a review of his life will prove of interest. He can recount many pioneer experiences and can accurately recall many of the historical events of that locality. He is now the owner of a fine farm and has, through honest industry, acquired a valuable estate and the highest respect of his fellowmen.
Mr. Prieb was born in Waushara county, Wisconsin, on a farm in 1858. His father, Frederick Prieb, was a millwright by trade and also followed farming. He was born in Germany and came to America in 1848 and became one of the pioneer settlers of Wisconsin.
Of a family of ten children our subject was the third in order of birth. He was reared in Wisconsin and early became used to farm work, spending most of his time thus and receiving but a limited schooling. He left home in 1876 at the age of sixteen years and came to Rochester, Minnesota, where he worked at farm labor and spent five years there. He took the southeast quarter of section six as a pre-emption in 1881 in Mitchell township and his first building was 12 by 16 feet. He lived alone there for about two years. He dead-headed his way to Barnesville and upon his arrival there he had but fifteen cents and he went afoot to friends. As he had no teams he worked for others for about five years and did not settle permanently on his farm until 1886. Crops were poor to start with, and one winter he and a neighbor lived on potatoes and had not even salt to use, but finally they secured some shorts and had a feast of pancakes. The best yield he has secured from his land was in 1895, when the wheat avenged about 35 bushels per acre. He has added to his acreage from time to time and is now the owner of an estate of 800 acres, with 700 acres of his land under plow, He has put up good farm buildings and during the early days there had the finest buildings in this part of the county. He engages in general farming and stock raising and has about 40 to 50 head of cattle and about 50 hogs. He has a fine grove on his farm, the result of his own planting. He has been in the threshing business for some years and has worn out two rigs and met with success in this line of work.
Mr. Prieb was married in 1888 to Miss Hulda Day, who was born in Wisconsin of German parentage. Of this union six children have been born, namely: Agnes, Maggie, Edward, Emma, Benjamin and Myrtle. Mr. Prieb is one of the prominent old settlers of his township, and he has filled all the offices except township clerk and is the present assessor. He votes independent of party and lends his influence for good government, local and national.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 517-18.
Fred Priebe, classed among the self-made men of Wilkin county, is proprietor of one of the extensive farms of Mitchell township. He has opened up several farms in this region and is one of the leading pioneers. He has passed through many experiences on the frontier, and has endured many hardships, but is now enjoying a comfortable home and a good income as a result of his labors in Minnesota.
Mr. Priebe was born in Waushara county, Wisconsin, in 1873. He was next to the youngest in a family of ten children and he lived in his native state until he was ten years of age, coming to Wilkin county in 1884. He has made his own way in the world since that date. He worked for the farmers of Wilkin county for many years and his schooling consisted of nine days. He began for himself on a rented farm in section 20 of Mitchell township and spent one year on this place. In 1896 he bought a farm in Deerhorn township in section 20, and lived there alone for three years, this being a wild prairie farm. He opened up and improved the place and then sold it. In 1900 he bought his present home farm in section 5. This was also a wild prairie tract, unimproved, and he has placed valuable buildings on the place. He has added to his possessions and is now owner of three hundred and twenty acres of land, three hundred of which he has under cultivation. He has a commodious and comfortable house, good barn, two granaries and has a tubular well, which supplies an abundance of water from a depth of forty-eight feet. He engages in grain raising almost exclusively and has all modern machinery for conducting a model farm. In 1895 fire destroyed his crops standing in the shock and his year's work counted for naught. In 1901 a horse valued at $400 died, after he had owned the animal but eighteen days. He has met every loss with determination to succeed and he has accomplished much of his farm labors.
Mr. Priebe was married in 1902 to Miss Nora Granger. Mrs. Priebe was born in Deerhorn township, and her father, George Granger, is one of the old settlers of this locality. Mr. Priebe is an influential citizen of his township and has been chosen many times to local honors, but has repeatedly refused to serve. He is affiliated with the Republican party politically.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 546.
Hon. Randolph M. Probstfield, who resides in Oakport township, Clay county, Minnesota, is a pioneer among pioneers, and is a man in whose retentive memory lie well preserved the scenes and incidents of the early days in the Red river country. He is one of the most interesting characters of the history of the valley, where his manly qualities and fine spirit have long since won for him a multitude of friends.
Mr. Probstfield was born in Germany, November 9, 1832, and is a son of Jacob and Theresa (Richter) Probstfeld, the name having been changed by the subject of this article after his arrival in this country. He had his education in the private schools of his country, and in 1852 sought a home in the new world, becoming very soon after his arrival on the American shore a resident of St. Paul, Minnesota. Mr. Probstfield and two companions, Gerhard Lulsdorff and George Emmerling, started for the Red river country by team February 26, 1859, striking the river April 1, opposite the mouth of the Sheyenne river, at a point called Lafayette City, a mushroom growth of the time and mostly on paper. It was a small settlement, but at the time had assumed importance as the point where the first steamboat was built and launched on the Red river, and here Mr. Probstfield and his companions fished and hunted as well as traded with the Indians. The following year the trading post of Georgetown was established five miles north, and Mr. Probstfield squatted on land close at hand on account of better mail facilities. This was in the summer of 1860, and the following winter he was called to Europe on account of business, and on his return he brought with him three brothers and a cousin. They built a log house on his farm and his wife joined him in September, 1861, but their farming enterprises were broken up by the Indian outbreak of 1862. The settlers concentrated at Georgetown; a freighting train had arrived at Georgetown, consisting of about one hundred and ten wagons and thirty-six men, and the ensuing days were marked by extreme care and anxiety, the people daily expecting attack from the Indians then surrounding Fort Abercrombie. After considerable consultation the party concluded to reach Hudson's Bay Company territory, N. W. Kitson heading the party, in all forty-four men and some families. Mr. Probstfield joined the party and started north for a safer place, but later returned to Georgetown. Provisions ran low, and it was especially difficult to supply the demand for salt, old rusty salt pork barrels being resorted to in many cases. At the request of General Sibley he remained at Georgetown until 1863, when he was ordered on pain of arrest to go to Fort Abercrombie about the middle of March, 1863. From there he joined a large wagon train under military escort about June 22, 1863, and took his family to St. Cloud.
Undaunted by the perils and hardships through which he had passed, in the spring of 1864 Mr. Probstfield returned to the Red river without an escort and established a general store at Georgetown, where he presently became postmaster, and until the fall of 1868 was agent for the Hudson's Bay Company. In April, 1869, he settled on the farm where he is found to-day, a magnificent estate of four hundred and sixty acres lying alongside the river, and presenting every advantage of the garden of the north.
Mr. Probstfield is a thoughtful and intelligent student of politics and is at heart a Socialist. From 1891 to 1893 he served as state senator, where he was especially active in securing the passage of the Drainage bill, and the establishment of the normal at Moorhead.
Mr. Probstfield was married, in 1861, to Miss Catherine Goodman, of St. Josephs county, Indiana, who died November 18, 1899, having become the mother of a family of children, as follows: Mary A.; Randolph, deceased; Alexander P.; Justus; Edmund H.; Nellie J.; Susan T.; Dorothy C., deceased; Emilia M.; Carl, deceased; Walter G.; Arthur C.; and Josephine.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 170-73.
Michael Prody, who enjoys the distinction of being the oldest resident settler of Wilkin county, lives on his highly improved farm in Roberts township. He has traveled over much of this region and is thoroughly familiar with its topography, and can accurately recount the history and incidents of its development. He has built up a fine farm and has a pleasant and comfortable home.
Mr. Prody was born on a farm in Italy, in 1838. His father, Paul Prody, spent his life in Italy. Our subject was reared in his native land and in 1859 left the sunny clime for the new world. He traveled over the United States for some time and in 1862 enlisted in Company D, Tenth Infantry, of the regular army. He saw service in Virginia with General Grant in Hancock's corps, and in 1866 he was sent to Ft. Abercrombie, North Dakota, and has since remained in this region. He was a soldier at Ft. Abercrombie for one year, and about 1867 or '68 he settled on his present farm in Wilkin county. He built a log cabin and lived there alone for seven or eight years, and was engaged in teaming all over this part of the country. In 1868 he lost $3,000 worth of cord wood by fire, representing his labors for two winters. He used oxen for many years on his farm. He worked for others for a dollar per day, and he did the first threshing done in this locality. In early days flour cost five to six dollars per sack, calico was twenty-five cents per yard, tea was two dollars per pound, and meat was thirty-five cents per pound. Despite his losses, low wages, and high prices he prospered and is now the owner of two hundred and seventy acres of valuable land, and has placed two hundred acres of his farm under cultivation, deriving a good annual income from the place.
Mr. Prody was married in 1875 to Eliza Bebo, who was born in Canada of French parents. To Mr. and Mrs. Prody nine children have been born, who are named as follows: Louis, George, Delina, Josephine, Arkaline, Belle, Johnnie, Annie and Elsie. All were born on the home farm in Wilkin county, Minnesota. Mr. Prody is a gentleman of true citizenship and in political sentiment is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 502.
Anthony Prohosky, a prominent business man of Wilkin county, Minnesota, is proprietor of the leading hotel and feed stable of Nashua. He is a genial host and a highly respected citizen.
Mr. Prohosky was born in a village in Bohemia, in 1862. His father, Wenzel Prohosky, was a farmer by occupation, and spent his life in Bohemia. Our subject was the youngest in a family of eight children and at the age of thirteen years he came to America with his older brother, landing at New York City. He came to Wisconsin, where he had a brother and settled in Monroe county. He later went to Eau Claire county, Wisconsin, and remained there until 1880. He spent the winter in the lumber woods of Wisconsin and a winter in the Minnesota woods. He took a homestead in Tintah township, Traverse county in 1881, the land being in section 12. He built a shanty thereon and spent some of his time there and some in the lumber woods of Wisconsin until 1887. His first crop on his farm was in 1890 and the yield was twenty-two bushels per acre. He continued his residence on this farm and built up a good home and prospered. In the fall of 1900 he disposed of this farm and moved to Tintah the following spring and built a fine residence there and engaged in the saloon business until the spring of 1902, when he disposed of his interests in Traverse county and came to Nashua, and built the Merchants Hotel. This was the first hotel built in the town, and is a two-story structure, affording excellent accommodations for the guests who make it their hearquarters [sic]. He has a bar in connection, and also conducts a feed stable.
Mr. Prohosky was married in 1889 to Miss Anna Schuster. Mrs. Prohosky was born in Waseca, Minnesota, and her father, Mat Schuster, was a farmer and a pioneer settler of Traverse county. He was accidentally drowned in 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Prohosky are the parents of five children, all of whom were born on the farm in Tintah township, Traverse county, Minnesota. They are named as follows: Rena, Joe, Nellie, Genevieve and Inez. Mr. Prohosky served fourteen years as president of the township board of Tintah and was president of the village board of Tintah in 1901 and 1902. He is a Democrat in political sentiment and stands firmly for his convictions.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 702-03.
There were 1940 visitors from 12 May 2006 to 4 Jul 2011. Visitor stats were lost 5 Nov 2005 to 12 May 2006 because of a broken counter. There were 930 visitors to this page from 29 May 2001 until its move to this site on 5 Nov 2005.
Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN
© 2001 - 2011