John B. Rademacher, owner of an elegant farm in McCauleyville township, one mile southeast of Kent, is one of the pioneers of Wilkin county. He has become widely known and is esteemed and respected by all.
Mr. Rademacher was born in Prussia, Germany, in 1842. His father, John Rademacher, was a farmer by occupation. He came to America with his family in 1846 and settled at Buffalo New York, where he lived nine years, engaged as a laborer and farmer, and then moved to Winnishiek county, Iowa.
Our subject was reared in Iowa and remained on the home farm until 1867, when he began farming in Winnishiek county. He farmed there until 1879, and in the spring of that year came with team and covered wagon to Wilkin county, Minnesota. He took land and broke some land and then returned to Iowa and in the fall of 1879 he again visited his claim and did some plowing and then returned to Iowa. He made four trips thus and in the spring of 1880 the family went to their new home, covering the distance, four hundred miles, with team and covered wagons, and taking stock with them. The family lived in a claim shanty for four months and they raised their first crop in 1880. Twice hail destroyed the crops and on Thanksgiving day, 1890, their house with most of its contents was destroyed by fire. Despite these losses Mr. Rademacher has prospered and he now has a farm of four hundred and eighty acres, all of which is cultivated. He has a large, convenient residence, good horse barn, large cattle barn, granary, and all other farm buildings for conducting a model farm. He and Mrs. Rademacher planted trees in the early days there and a fine grove is now one of the valuable feature of the place. He has a fine apple orchard that has produced fruit for the last fifteen years. In 1903 he secured three barrels of large apples and five bushels of crabs, besides all kinds of small fruits. His is a well-improved and thoroughly equipped farm. Besides the farm he is a shareholder in Kent State Bank, Kent, Minnesota.
Mr. Rademacher was married in Iowa in 1871 to Miss Anna Merick. Mrs. Rademacher was born in Wisconsin and was a daughter of Joseph Merick, an old settler of Minnesota. She died at her home in Wilkin county, March 14, 1903, of typhoid fever, and is deeply mourned by her relatives and a large circle of friends and acquaintances. She was the mother of eleven children, named as follows: Elizabeth, now Mrs. E. B. Kenefic; Helen, now Mrs. J. B. Meirick; Mary, now Mrs. Leo Reiland; John; Edward; Leo; Gertrude; Regina, deceased; Joseph; Theodore; and Carrie. Mr. Rademacher was one of the organizers of the Farmers' Elevator Company and was treasurer of the company until the firm sold out. He has been chairman of the board of supervisors of his township for the past eighteen years and in 1898 was elected county commissioner, has been school trustee nineteen years for district No. 17, and he takes an active interest in all local public matters. He is politically a Democrat and has attended numerous conventions of his party as a delegate.
On another page of this volume will be found portraits of our subject and wife.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 714-17.
John W. Rademacher, who until recently was in charge of one of the largest elevators of Wilkin county, at Kent, Minnesota, is a young man of excellent business ability and he has met with pronounced success in business. He is intelligent and enterprising and is one of the rapidly rising young men of that section. He is now engaged in the farm implement trade at Kent, Minnesota.
Mr. Rademacher was born in Winneshiek county, Iowa, in 1879. His father, John B. Rademacher, was born in Germany, and came to America when a small boy. He was one of the early settlers of Wilkin county, Minnesota, and was engaged in farming in this county, passing through the experiences of pioneer life.
Of a family of ten children our subject was the fourth in order of birth. He was reared on the home farm in Wilkin county, and while he was still a young boy it was necessary for him to assist his father with the farm work. He attended the common schools of his neighborhood and completed his studies at St. John's Univerversity [sic] in Collegeville, Minnesota. After completing his education he returned to the home farm and remained there assisting in the operation of the same for three years. In the summer of 1902 he made a trip to North Dakota and took land as a homestead in Ward county. In the fall of the same year he accepted a position as agent for the St. Anthony and Dakota Elevator Company at Kent and had charge of their elevator for one year. This elevator has a capacity of 20,000 bushels, equipped with gasoline engine, and all modern improvements. In the spring of 1903 Mr. Rademacher engaged in the implement trade at Kent and is now following this line.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 482.
For many years prior to the death of Mr. Ramstad he was a leading citizen and agriculturist of Norman county. He went there in the early days of its settlement and became the owner of a fine estate in McDonaldville township, the home being in section 34. The property is now managed by Mrs. Ramstad, widow of our subject, who makes her home on the original farm, and has met with good success in the operation of the same, the farm being marked as one of the finest in the township. A portrait of Mr. Ramstad is shown upon another page in this volume.
Peter Ramstad was born in Lom, in the northern part of Norway, in 1851, and was a son of Lars and Carrie (Wange) Ramstad, both of whom were natives of Norway and came to America when our subject was a boy. They settled in Vernon county, Wisconsin, and there our subject grew to manhood. He went to Norman county in 1880, and in 1883 he engaged in the mercantile business at Ada, under the firm name of G. S. Barnes & Company, and he resided there until 1887. During his stay there he was county register of deeds four years, and was postmaster of Ada several years. He disposed of his mercantile interests about 1886 or '87 and purchased a farm, removing to the same, where he continued his residence until his death. He accumulated five hundred and twenty acres of land, all of which was improved and an excellent set of buildings was erected. His wife has sold all of the tract but two hundred and forty acres, which she still manages. On this are the farm buildings and two flowing wells furnish an abundance of water for stock and domestic uses.
Mr. Ramstad was married in Wisconsin in 1884 to Christena Scriver. Mrs. Ramstad was born in Christiania, Norway, and was a daughter of Christian Scriver, a native of Norway and a tanner by trade. He resides in his native land and owns a large tannery there. Mrs. Ramstad's grandparents, Hans and Carrie Rentz, were of German descent, the great-grandfather of Mrs. Ramstad being of German birth and a native of a small province east of Denmark. On the paternal side the ancestors were also of German descent. Mrs. Ramstad was reared by an uncle, Bernt Anderson, and an aunt, Ann Anderson, and she grew to womanhood in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, and also spent much of her girlhood in Chicago. Seven children, all of whom are now at home, were born to Mr. and Mrs. Ramstad, and are as follows: Ibsen, born April 11, 1885; Carrie, born April 27, 1887; Nicholay, born March 8, 1889; Orrin, born January 19, 1891; Ella, born November 29, 1892; Sigurd, born November 18, 1894; and Petra, born December 13, 1896. Mr. Ramstad suffered ill health for some time, and went to Norway in hopes of getting relief, but he was suddenly stricken with his last illness and after only about five days he passed away, June 4, 1896, at the home of his wife's people. Mr. Ramstad was a man of excellent character, and enjoyed the confidence of the people of this community and is mourned by all. He was an active worker for the principles of Republicanism, and was prominently identified with the early development of Norman county, both in public and farm life.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 164-67.
Adelbert E. Randall, who stands in a foremost place among the pioneer settlers of Big Stone county, resides on his well improved farm near Ortonville. He is a gentleman of excellent business judgment and is possessed of active public spirit and untiring energy.
Mr. Randall was born at Lockport, Niagara county, New York, March 24, 1846. His father, Elias Randall, was born in Herkimer county, New York, and was a farmer, lumberman and canal boatman. The grandfather of our subject was born in Ireland.
Our subject was the eldest child of his father's second marriage, and he has five brothers and five half-brothers and two half-sisters. The family came to Illinois when he was four years of age and settled on a farm, where they lived for five years. They then moved to Wisconsin and in 1860 came to Minnesota, arriving in Rochester in the fall of 1860. Our subject was reared on the Minnesota frontier and in 1863 he left home and went into Wabasha county, where he worked on a farm until February, 1864. He then enlisted in Company G, Third Minnesota Infantry, and saw eighteen months of active service in Arakansas [sic]. Three of his half-brothers served in the Tenth Wisconsin Battery, and one was taken prisoner and was confined in Libby prison when the war closed.
Mr. Randall returned to Wabasha county, Minnesota, after the war and he farmed on rented land until about 1872. He started for Big Stone county, March 24, 1876, and came part of the way afoot. He took a homestead April 5 of the same year, and this land now adjoins the town of Ortonville. The family joined him in the new home in May of the same year. The nearest trading point at that time was Appleton, twenty-five miles distant, and Morris was the nearest railroad town. Mr. Randall built the first building of any size in Ortonville and in 1878 he built his house on his farm and lived therein until 1881. He hauled lumber from Morris and Benson with ox teams, taking four days for the round trip and many times camped on the prairie. He now owns a farm of two hundred and eighty acress [sic], which furnishes him a comfortable home in which to spend his declining years.
Mr. Randall was married in 1872 to Miss Sophia J. Bullock. Mrs. Randall was born in Erie county, Pennsylvania. Her father, Richard B. Bullock, was born in London, England. Ten children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Randall, of whom Jessie died at the age of sixteen years, Myrtle at the age of fourteen years, and Hazel at the age of eight months. The children now living are named as follows: Eva, now married; A. Victor, engaged in clerking; Dean, a prosperous farmer; Marion, Clyde, Lloyd and Clarence. Mr. Randall was sheriff of the county, being elected in 1881, and he served in this office until 1901. He is a member of the city council and at present is president. He takes a leading and active part in local affairs of importance and wields much influence in his community.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 512.
John J. Ready, a resident of Wilkin county, Minnesota, for the past quarter of a century, is one of the prosperous farmers of Campbell township, and he has been a potent factor in the upbuilding of that region. He has an extensive acquaintance and is highly esteemed by all.
Mr. Ready was born on a farm in Dodge county, Wisconsin, in 1850. His father, John C. Ready, was born in Germany. He came to America in 1847 and settled in Wisconsin. Our subject was the third of a family of nine children and he was raised and educated in his native state. He assisted with the farm work from his early youth and remained on the home farm until he was twenty-eight years of age, having the management of the estate for his father for several years. In the spring of 1879 he took a homestead in section 26, township 130, range 47, in Wilkin county, Minnesota, and in the fall of the same year moved thereon with his family. He lived in a shanty and used oxen for his farm work for some time. He raised his first crop in 1880, and this was nine acres of wheat which averaged ten bushels per acre. In 1882 or '83 he lost his crop by hail and this was almost a total loss. He has prospered despite some severe losses and is now owner of four hundred and forty acres of land, all but seventy acres of which is under cultivation. He moved to his present farm in 1900 and now resides on section 36. He has built a large house, barn, granary, and other farm buildings and has ample shelter for stock and provisions. He has two good wells on the place, and has all necessary machinery. In 1899 he began the threshing business, and has a twenty-four horse power steam rig. He lost the separator in the fall of 1902 by fire. He came to this locality in debt and is now one of the substantial farmers of Wilkin county. In the early days he worked for others and was obliged to travel seven miles in the morning to his work and seven miles after his day's work was completed. He bore many hardships, but remained at his farming and now enjoys a comfortable home.
Mr. Ready has been assisted in his labors by his estimable wife, to whom he was married in 1876. Mrs. Ready bore the maiden name of Emma Wiedeman, and she was born in Wisconsin. Her father, Ferdinand Wiedeman, was born in Germany, and was a miller by trade. He served in the Civil war in America. Mr. and Mrs. Ready are the parents of four children, namely: Helen, now married and residing at home; Blanche, attending school in St. Paul; Raymond, also completing his education in St. Paul; and Esther, a student in the same city. Mr. Ready is a gentleman of broad mind and lends his influence for the upbuilding of the better interests of his community. He is an independent voter.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 722.
Charles Reber, probably one of the best known and one of the most highly esteemed citizens of Wilkin county, is an old settler of that region and has become a substantial farmer of Andrea township.
Mr. Reber was born in Switzerland, in 1862. His father, John Reber, came to America in 1879 and located in Ohio, where he engaged in the manufacture of cheese. He followed this business until his death in 1895. Of a family of six children our subject was the eldest. He was reared in his native land and after attaining his manhood he worked as a laborer until 1881, when he came to America. He landed at New York city and came direct from thence to Ohio, where he was employed with his father in the cheese factory for seven years. He came to Wilkin county, Minnesota, in 1888, and took land as a homestead, upon which he built a claim shanty and a frame barn. He did his first breaking with cattle. He lost his horses and stock in 1893, but determined to stay on his claim and make a success there. He accordingly purchased another team of cattle and continued the cultivation and improvement of his homestead. Hail destroyed the greater share of his crops in 1895 and '96, but withal he has prospered and is now the owner of three hundred and twenty acres of valuable land, most of which he has placed under cultivation. He has a good home and a well improved farm.
Mr. Reber was married in 1881 to Miss Mary A. Steiner, a native of Switzerland. Mrs. Reber died in 1891, leaving four children as a result of this marriage, namely: Addie, John, Bertha, and Mary. All were born in Ohio. Mr. Reber was married to Miss Bertha Baelli, in December, 1891. Mrs. Reber was born in Switzerland and came to America in 1891. To Mr. and Mrs. Reber six children have been born, namely: Maggie, Charles, Benjamin, Esther, Manilla and Fritz. All were born on the farm in Wilkin county, Minnesota. Mr. Reber is one of the leading men of his county and in 1901 he was instrumental in the establishment of a postoffice on his farm, which has proven a great boon to the neighboring community. He has served as assessor for fourteen years and clerk of the school district since its organization in 1892. He is a man of strong convictions and politically is affiliated with the Democratic party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 613.
William Reedy, who deserves a foremost place among the enterprising pioneer settlers of Wilkin county, who have done so much to further the development of the agricultural resources of Campbell township, is the owner of a fine farm upon which he has a home of great comfort. He is a citizen of sterling character and has a wide acquaintance.
Mr. Reedy was born in Prussia, Germany, in 1849. His father, Engel Reedy, was a laborer. He came to America and settled in Wisconsin, where his death occurred. Our subject was the oldest of a family of eight children and he came with his parents to America at the age of six years and was reared in Wisconsin. He received a limited schooling and as his father was in poor circumstances he was obliged to assist in supporting the family. He remained at home and assisted his father until about 1876, and he then followed the cooper's trade in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and in Lowell, Reeceville and Richwood, Wisconsin. He came to Wilkin county, Minnesota, in 1884 and with his family settled on a homestead in section 34 of Campbell township in 1885. He put up a house 14 by 24 feet and his first teams were oxen, and with these be did his farm work for the first four or five years. He worked on the Great Northern Railroad at construction work and also helped to build the Sioux line through this locality. He was obliged to work out to get a living for himself and family and the first few winters braved the dangers and exposures of trapping. For two winters the family burned hay to keep warm. He is now the owner of a well improved farm of one hundred and sixty acres, one hundred and ten acres of which is under cultivation. He has a complete set of buildings and has prospered and been enabled to rear his children in comfort and provide well for them.
Mr. Reedy was married in 1876 to Miss Mary Hess. Mrs. Reedy was born in Prussia, Germany, and her father, Jacob Hess, was a farmer in Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Reedy are the parents of eight children, four of whom were born in Wisconsin and four in Minnesota. They are named as follows: Laura, Leona, Jessie, Letta, Jacob, Pearl, Ruth and Esther. The oldest four are now married. Mr. Reedy is actively interested in the welfare of his community and has served in numerous school offices. In political faith he is a Democrat.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 768.
Martin F. Reine, dealer in real estate, insurance and loans in Brooten, Minnesota, has developed a business during the last five years that has added to the growth and development of Brooten and the surrounding country, and at the same time has made Mr. Reine a place among the solid and successful business men of the day.
Mr. Reine was born in Pope county, Minnesota, April 6, 1866, a son of Ole and Maria (Nygaid) Reine, both early settlers of Pope county. The mother is still living, but the father died in 1898. Mr. Reine grew to manhood in Pope county, where he was bred to a farming life, and educated in the local schools. As a young man he was a teacher in the public schools for about ten years, and in 1899 was well prepared to open a real estate business in Brooten, the first of the kind in the place. The time chosen could not have been more propitious, for it marked the beginning of a period of great activity in land operations. Money was needed for advertising and livery expenses, but it was money well spent, and it may be truthfully said that it was Mr. Reine's extensive advertising that helped to bring about the great increase in land values. Prices increased from $12.50 to $20 per acre during these five years of wonderful activity. One instance to illustrate this may be given in Mr. Reine's dealing with one party. He sold to him in the course of his dealing $30,000 worth of farm lands and several blocks of village property. At the present time Mr. Reine has in his hands some 35,000 acres of lands, and can fully accommodate all land seekers.
In politics Mr. Reine is a Republican, and in fraternity matters a Mason and a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. In 1903 he married Miss Matilda Desledal, a native of Stearns county, Minnesota.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 797-98.
Emanuel Reyff, one of the early settlers and prosperous farmers of Harrison township, Kandiyohi county, lives on his well-tilled farm of one hundred and twenty acres, where he has spent the past thirty-four years of his career.
Mr. Reyff was born in Switzerland in 1841. At the time of his birth his father was an extensive mill owner and prosperous business man in the city of Berne, but unfortunate investments in city securities deprived him speedily of his wealth. In 1845, with his wife and family of ten children, he emigrated to America. The heart of the wife and mother was broken by the reverses from wealth to comparative poverty, and she died and was buried at sea. Our subject being the youngest one of the family, and but four years of age, was taken with his brothers and sisters to Jefferson county, Wisconsin. There the father rented land and proceeded to farm, a business which he followed during the remainder of his life. He died in Wisconsin, January 28, 1868.
Our subject had few advantages in the way of school education and he continued working on his father's farm until the age of sixteen years, and then found similar work in the neighborhood and later at New Ulm, Minnesota, until the outbreak of the Indian war. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company K, Seventh Minnesota Infantry, serving under Gen. Sibley to assist in quelling the outbreak. Later his regiment was ordered south and he was actively engaged in the Mississippi valley until the close of the war of the Rebellion, participating in no less than thirty-two engagements. For these valiant services the government allows him a liberal pension. He was mustered out at Ft. Snelling, in 1865. These were trying times in Minnesota. During the Indian outbreak Mr. Reyff saw his brother's wife and two children massacred by the Indians on their farm in Renville county. Their oldest son and Mr. Reyff buried the dead bodies. After being mustered out of the service Mr. Reyff returned to Wisconsin and assisted on the home farm until his father's death. After the settlement of his father's affairs, in 1868, he went to Kandiyohi county and took a homestead claim of eighty acres near where his home now stands. He later added forty acres to his farm and thereon built his present residence. He now owns one hundred and twenty acres of good land, all of which is under cultivation. Mr. Reyff experienced some of the hardships incident to pioneer life. From 1874 to '76 the grasshoppers devastated the fields of grain and for a time he almost gave up hope of making farming a success and removed to St. Paul, where he found other work during the winter and farmed during the summer.
Mr. Reyff was married May 26, 1872, to Margaretta Wolfmeyer, a daughter of Leonard and Annie C. (Horn) Wolfmeyer. Mrs. Reyff was the second in a family of five children and her father was a farmer of Wisconsin. To Mr. and Mrs. Reyff two children have been born, daughters, who are as follows: Minnie H., now the wife of Peter L. Frogner; and Emma M., who is unmarried. Both daughters make their home at present on their father's farm. Mr. Reyff is a member of Frank Taggart Post, G.A.R., at Litchfield. He and his family are highly respected in the community in which they live, and their home is one of pleasant cheer and generous hospitality.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 321.
Charlie Richardson, whose fine farm lies within the corporate limits of Tenny, Minnesota, is one of the enterprising and prosperous agriculturists of Wilkin county. He has resided in Campbell township for many years and as an old settler and worthy citizen is widely known.
Mr. Richardson was born in Dodge county, Wisconsin, in 1855. His father, Mahlon Richardson, was of English and Scotch descent, and was a farmer by occupation. The mother of our subject, who bore the maiden name of Wilhelmina Meachkler, was of German descent. Our subject was the oldest of three children and he was raised and educated in Wisconsin and at an early age began to assist with the work of the home farm. He remained at home until he was thirty-five years of age and had the management of his father's farm for about ten or twelve years. He spent his winters in the lumber woods. He came first to Wilkin county in the fall of 1881 on a visit and in 1889 filed a homestead claim to his present farm in section 28. He settled on his homestead permanently in 1890, and as this was all wild prairie land and had no improvements he passed through many hard experiences. He lived alone on his farm the first five years. He has continued the improvement of his farm and added to his possessions as circumstances justified and is now the fortunate owner of six hundred and fifty acres of land, part of which lies in Wilkin and part in Traverse counties. He has a set of good farm buildings, a fine well with windmill attached, and has all machinery for conducting a model farm and has prospered since locating in Campbell township.
Mr. Richardson was married in 1895 to Jennie Cross. Mr. and Mrs. Richardson are the parents of three children, namely: Johnnie, born in 1898, Hattie, born in 1901, and Jessie I., born in 1903. Mr. Richardson takes a leading and active part in township affairs and has served as chairman of the board of supervisors and has held various school offices. He has been a member of the village council of Tenny, since the organization of the village in December, 1901. He has been affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows for many years. Politically he is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 709.
Probably one of the best known citizens of Ottertail county is Samuel D. Rider, whose extensive farming operations are the outcome of many years of labor and judicious management. Mr. Rider is one of the old settlers of that locality, and has an elegant farm of six hundred acres in Scambler township, his residence being located in section 24.
Mr. Rider was born in Clinton county, New York, March 2, 1849. His father, Abel Rider, was born in Deerfield City, Connecticut, and served in the war of 1812 under General Underhill. The mother of our subject, Elizabeth (Churchill) Rider, was born in New York.
Mr. Rider was reared on a farm in New York until he was fourteen years of age, when the father moved to Michigan, and there he attended the common schools and remained three years, after which he went to River Falls, Wisconsin, and remained until 1870. He went to Duluth, Minnesota, and was engaged as contractor with the Brackett & Logan Company on the Northern Pacific Railroad. In 1872 he went to Ottertail county and worked for the Northern Pacific Railroad Company at Perham, Minnesota, and also took land as a homestead. He built a log house on his land and started to work his farm with ox-teams, but the hailstorms and grasshoppers devastated everything for seven years and he was obliged to gain his livelihood by cutting ties from his timber for the Northern Pacific Railroad. He now has six hundred acres of land, of which three hundred acres are under plow and the rest is pasture, meadow and timber. He keeps fourteen horses and twenty-five head of cattle, and has met with pronounced success in diversified farming. His barn is a commodious structure, 40x80 feet, with a stone basement and storage room for two hundred tons of hay. He has a ten-room residence, surrounded by a fine grove, and every appointment of the farm and home is complete and in good taste.
Mr. Rider was married in 1878 to Clara Hyatt. Mrs. Rider was born in New York, and died in Minnesota. Mr. Rider was married to Fidelia Hobert in 1882. Mrs. Rider was born in Wisconsin October 10, 1854. Three children complete the family circle, namely: Edna Amelia, Bessie L. and Samuel D., Jr. Mr. Ryder is actively interested in all affairs of his township and county, and was supervisor of Scambler township for eighteen years. He was the candidate for sheriff of Ottertail county in 1896, and made an excellent showing, but was defeated by only twenty votes. In 1900 he was elected on the Democratic and Populist tickets for state representative of Minnesota. He was a stanch Populist, but owing to liberality on his part he had many friends among the Republican members and others irrespective of party affiliation, and occupies a unique position in the state legislature, and was the cause of numerous bills passing the house for the good of the people of Minnesota in the way of traffic on public roads and bridges. Mr. Rider is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and his family are associated with the Congregational church.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 270.
Among the leading citizens of Traverse county, none stands higher in the minds of his associates than the gentleman here named. For many years he has been a citizen of Dollymont township, and he has developed a fine farm and enjoys the comforts of a rural home and the esteem of all with whom he comes in contact.
Mr. Rinke was born in Germany in 1846, and was a son of a farmer of that country. His father died in 1900. Of a family of three children our subject was the eldest. He was reared in his native land and attended the common schools there, and at the age of twelve years he began earning his own way. He came to America in 1872, landing at Baltimore, Maryland, and he came direct to Wabasha county, Minnesota, where he worked out at clearing land for about eight years. He came to Traverse county in 1880, and took land as a homestead, upon which he built a shanty 12 by 14 feet and a sod barn. His first team was a span of mules and he had to drive to Herman for supplies and provisions. He has steadily improved his property, and is now the owner of five hundred and fifty acres of valuable land, nearly all of which he has placed under cultivation. He has erected a complete set of good farm buildings and his farm is pleasantly situated, and its value is enhanced by a fine grove, the trees which he planted in the early days of his residence there. He has prospered and is a man of good judgment and enjoys a good income from his estate.
Mr. Rinke was married in 1873 to Miss Caroline Collard, a native of Germany who came to America in 1872. To Mr. and Mrs. Rinke eight children have been born, three sons and five daughters, of whom four are deceased. Mr. Rinke is identified with the Democratic party politically, and he is one of the leading men of his community, lending his influence for the upbuilding of every enterprise and interest which tends to the development and improvement of those of his community.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 413.
Nathan G. Robbins, a well known early settler of Wilkin county, Minnesota, has acquired valuable property in Minnesota and Canada as a result of earnest endeavors and good management. The home farm is in Prairie View township.
Mr. Robbins was born in the state of New York, in 1836. His parents were of old American stock, and the father, William Robbins, was a pioneer settler of Jefferson county, Wisconsin. Our subject was the seventh in the family and he was reared in his native state and came with his parents to Wisconsin. He soon afterward started for himself, securing work on farms of the neighborhood and after a short time came to Minnesota, and took land for a friend in Olmstead county. He resided there until he came to Wilkin county in 1872, and he then took a homestead in section 14, of Prairie View township. He drove from Olmstead county with an ox team and a covered wagon and brought stock and supplies. His first building was a sod roofed log house and he lived therein until 1880. Grasshoppers destroyed the crops for three years and he was obliged to work for others to make a living and Mrs. Robbins taught school to help. This was the second school taught in the township. Mrs. Robbins had taught for several years in Wisconsin. The home farm consists of one hundred and sixty acres, most of which is under cultivation, and the place is well improved with buildings and supplied with all necessary machinery. The farm is owned by Mrs. Robbins, who conducts it when our subject is in Canada, where he has another farm. This land is at Alberta and much of Mr. Robbins' time is engaged here. He has opened up many acres of land aside from his home farm and has done his full share toward the development of this region.
Mr. Robbins was married in 1864 to Mary E. Potter. Mrs. Robbins was born in Oneida county, New York, in 1839. Her father, Anthony Potter, was of old American stock and was a farmer by occupation. Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Robbins, who are as follows: Lucien, born March 22, 1865; Viola V., born June 7, 1866, is now married; William A., born April 15, 1869; Maud M., born August 4, 1871; Fannie H., born September 1, 1873; Margaret E., born January 14, 1877, is now married; Sadie Z., born November 22, 1879; and Archie R., born October 20, 1881. Mr. Robbins has served as assessor of his township and takes a commendable interest in local public affairs. He is a Democrat in political sentiment, but lends his influence for good government local and national and is not party bound.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 826-27.
Theodore F. Rodwell, M. D., one of the oldest resident physicians of Cass county, Minnesota, has a large practice and is widely known as a physician and citizen of true worth. He is physician of the Indians under the United States government appointment, and is a gentleman of skill and knowledge of his calling.
Dr. Rodwell was born in Ontario, Canada, December 14, 1858, and was a son of Alfred and Mary Jane (Fulkerson) Rodwell, the former a native of England and the latter a native of New Jersey. Dr. Rodwell was reared on a farm in Ontario until he was fourteen years of age. He completed the high school course and then entered the University of Toronto at the age of seventeen years. He taught for some years and became professor of the Copetown public school, which position he filled three years. He then entered the University of Michigan, studying four years, and graduated with the degree of M. D. He established his office for the practice of his profession in Saginaw, Michigan, and he continued his work there ten years. In 1896 he took up his residence in Walker, Minnesota, and practiced medicine there until 1900, when he located in Cass Lake. He opened his office in that village and was appointed physician for the Indians by the United States government. He has an extensive practice and has become one of the well known and successful physicians of the northwest. He is the oldest physician of the county and occupies a high place among his fraternity. He is the owner of considerable real estate in Michigan and also in Minnesota.
Dr. Rodwell was married, in 1882, to Anna McDonald. Mrs. Rodwell was born in Canada, in the city of Burlington, August 10, 1858. Dr. and Mrs. Rodwell are the parents of one child, Mae, who was born in Canada September 22, 1883. Dr. Rodwell has always taken a commendable interest in the public affairs of his community, and he has been called upon to serve in various local offices. He was mayor of Carrollton, Michigan, and also postmaster of that city, and he has ever been awake to the interests of his fellows. He is a Republican in political sentiment. He is prominent in secret society circles and holds membership in several organizations, namely: Masonic, the order of Elks, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Independent Order of Foresters, Knights of the Maccabees, Modern Woodmen of America and Order of Red Men.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 175.
Alfred Rogers, residing in the village of Eden Valley, is retired from active pursuits, and will pass his declining years amid his many old time friends of Stearns and Meeker counties. He was formerly engaged in farming in the latter county and was one of the early settlers of this region. He is a citizen of true worth and enjoys deserved rest in his Eden Valley home.
Mr. Rogers was born in Jefferson county, New York, March 18, 1830. His father, Stephen Rogers, was born in the same state, as was also the mother of our subject, Sarah (Williams) Rogers. Our subject attended the common schools in New York and learned the carpenter and joiner's trade. May 7, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Thirty-fifth New York Volunteer Infantry. His regiment moved from New York to Washington, D. C., and from thence to Virginia. Mr. Rogers participated in the battles of Bull Run, First and Second Rappahannock. While repairing a railroad bridge across the Rappahannock River Mr. Rogers was hurt by a falling timber, and he was taken to the hospital. He ran away before he was able and joined his company and was in the battle of Fredericksburg. He was mustered out of the service June 13, 1863, and returned to New York. He came to Wisconsin in August of the same year, where he remained until 1865, when he located in Lesueur county, Minnesota, where he bought a farm of eighty acres and sold out and came to Meeker county. He took a homestead on section 8 of Forest Prairie township, Meeker county, and continued his residence there until 1892. He improved his farm and made it a valuable estate and prospered there. In 1892 he disposed of his property in Meeker county and took up his residence in Eden Valley, where he now makes his home.
Mr. Rogers was married, in 1853, to Maryett Spicer. There was born to them one son, Dealton Rogers, October 6, 1854. He was again married in 1866, Euphena Scribner becoming his wife. Of this marriage three children were born, namely: Manford, Eliza and Eva. Mr. Rogers was married in 1895 to Mrs. Elizabeth Richardson, widow of Lester Richardson. Mrs. Rogers was born in New York November 30, 1839. She is the mother of one son, William, and two daughters, Adala and Effie, by her former marriage. Mr. Rogers keeps abreast of the times in public affairs and lends his influence for good government. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 758.
Robert Rogers, who is engaged in farming in Franconia township, has been identified with the agricultural interests of Chisago county, Minnesota, for over a quarter of a century, and during this time has built up a good home and an enviable reputation as a citizen.
Mr. Rogers was born in New Brunswick, Canada, in 1828. His parents were of English birth. Our subject was reared in his native place and at the age of eighteen years began work in a sawmill and followed lumbering. He later came to Stillwater, Minnesota, and worked in the lumber woods and on the rivers and at rafting, spending twenty-five years in the lumbering business in Minnesota and Wisconsin. He returned to Maine and spent some time in the eastern states. In 1876 he settled on his present farm, which at that time was covered with timber. He has cleared this for cultivation and has placed valuable improvements thereon and has a fine estate and comfortable surroundings.
Mr. Rogers is a man of broad mind and keeps abreast of the times. He takes an active interest in public affairs, and in political faith is a Republican, standing firmly for the principles of his arty [sic]. He cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln for President, and he has voted for many of the Presidents since that time.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 806.
Albert S. Roggenbuck, a well-to-do young farmer of Walter township, Lac-qui-parle county, where he is regarded alike for his manly qualities and his farmer-like ways, was born in Germany, October 28, 1866, where his ancestors had been located for many generations back, and where his father, Peter, had followed farming all his life.
Albert S. Roggenbuck was the oldest child in a family of eleven children born to his parents, and he was well reared in the old German home, and given exceptional school privileges. When he was twenty-one years old he entered the German army and served three years in that great military machine. In 1891 he came to this country landing in New York, and coming at once to Lac-qui-parle county. Here he bought a farm, and devoted himself to its improvements. The following year Mr. Roggenbuck was married to Miss Mary Semran, who was also born in Germany. They have a family of five children all of whom were born on the Lac-qui-parle county farm: John, Albert, George (deceased), Joseph and Paul.
In political matters Mr. Roggenbuck has come to take sides with the Democratic party, but in general he prefers to vote for men and measures rather than for party names.
In his farming operations much success has attended the operations of Mr. Roggenbuck. He has built up a very choice and attractive farm of one hundred and sixty acres, well provided with neat and roomy buildings, and maintains the entire farm after the most approved models and standards. About his first work when he took possession was to start a grove, and to this he has given close attention, which has been rewarded by a thrifty growth of young timber. The greater part of his land is under active cultivation, and the rest is fully used as pasture and meadow. Mr. Roggenbuck is without question one of the leading farmers and representative men of Lac-qui-parle county.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 352-53.
Lars Roise, who is classed among the foremost farmers of Madison township, is a pioneer settler of Lac-qui-parle county. He has succeeded in his chosen calling and is owner of a valuable estate.
Mr. Roise was born in Norway in 1854. His father was a farmer and spent his life in Norway. Our subject was the fifth of a family of ten children and he was reared in his native land and there assisted his father with the work on the home farm and became versed in agricultural pursuits. In 1881 he came to America, landing in New York city and from there came to Red Wing, Minnesota, where an uncle resided. He remained here the first winter and then spent two summers in Minneapolis and two winters in the lumber woods. He located in Lac-qui-parle county about 1886 and worked on farms of this locality for three seasons and then purchased his present farm in section 16 and section 21, of Madison township. He and his brother bought the land together and lived theron and worked together until the fall of 1902. They did their first work with oxen, which they used for about three years. In 1902 the brothers divided the land and our subject now owns individually one hundred and seventy-five acres of land, of which about one hundred acres is under cultivation and the rest is pasture. He has a set of good buildings and a windmill and has all necessary machinery for conducting modern farming. He has a fine grove for shelter and has apple trees and all small fruits and has a pleasant and comfortable home in every particular. He engages in grain raising mostly and has met with success in this line of agriculture.
Mr. Roise was married in 1892 to Miss Gudy Bravik. Mrs. Roise was born in Norway and her father is a farmer and fisherman of that country. Mr. and Mrs. Roise are the parents of six children, namely: Henry L., Mary, Selma C., Gena J., Carl J. and Albertina. All were born on the farm in Madison township. Mr. Roise is a Republican in political sentiment and is actively interested in the upbuilding of his community, but he does not seek public office.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 701-02.
One of the best known employes of the American Fur Company in those early days was Jean Joseph Rolette, most always called Joe Rolette, the elder. He was a French-Canadian of the province of Quebec, who had been educated, it is believed, for the priesthood, but the bold, adventurous spirit within him drew him into the ranks of the coureur des bois, who roamed the lakes, woods and rivers of Canada and the United States. His native ability and the advantages of superior education soon placed him in the foremost ranks and he soon became a successful trader. He was captain in the British Service during the last war with Great Britain, and helped take Prairie du Chien. He married a Miss Fisher, who became the mother of Joseph Rolette, Jr., but was afterward divorced from her. He died, after having been one of the most noted of traders, in poverty.
Joseph Rolette, Jr., his son, was probably the best known of all the traders of the great Northwestern territory in that day. Taken by relatives of his mother to New York, he was reared and educated where he had the best of advantages. As he grew to manhood the spirit of adventure, born in him, came out, and he determined to join the band of bold spirits upon the northern frontier. Enthusiastic, bold, witty, well educated and shrewd beyond his years, he was well fitted for border life. He came west and took service with a company which had been formed in 1834, of which Henry H. Sibley, Ramsey Crooks, H. L. Dousman and Jean Joseph Rolette were partners. By them he was sent to the Red river valley and he made his appearance there in 1840-41. He rebuilt the post at Pembina. At the time he was but twenty-one or two years of age. For a young man of that time in life to take charge of a reckless crew of voyageurs, build and defend the fort, employ and control the half-breeds upon whom the greater part of the actual labor fell, successfully deal with the friendly Indians and combat those that were hostile, to cure, pack and ship large quantities of furs, keep account of all his transactions and show a profit on each season's work, shows he was a young man of no common mettle. Young Rolette started his first line of carts between Pembina and St. Paul. This scheme was evolved in his brain and put into execution in 1842, and in it a Mr. Fisher, his mother's brother, was a partner. In 1843 the well-known Norman W. Kittson, a native of Canada, born March 5, 1814, removed to Pembina and took charge of the post, from which time, as the business had developed largely, Joseph Rolette served as his chief lieutenant. Commodore Kittson saw that Rolette's idea of a regular cart line to St. Paul was an excellent one, and immediately inaugurated another. This mode of transport and traffic grew to an immense size, some years reaching the unprecedented figure of six or seven thousand carts employed. In 1844 a mail station was established at the Pembina post by Norman W. Kittson, and it is believed he was appointed the first postmaster.
Troubles at all times kept Joseph Rolette, Jr., busy at his posts, trouble with all kinds of people, civilized and savage. In 1847 some rival traders set up a post not over two miles from Rolette's, and as they were ready to pay in whisky for furs, a practice not allowed by our government, they had the advantage of him. Others had suffered in the same way, and as the government failed to protect him Rolette determined to take the matter into his own hands. He gathered a few of his most plucky men and, with them, marched over the line, threw out their goods upon the ground, burned down the buildings and bade the owners leave that part of the country, which they immediately did. In 1851 Joseph Rolette was elected a member of the Minnesota legislature, and was re-elected in 1853, 1855 and 1857. On the outbreak of the Civil war he tried to get a commission in the Union army, but failed, and at the close of hostilities he had lost most of his little fortune and much of his former health. He died May 16, 1871. He, in 1845, married Angelie Jerome, a lady of half Chippewa blood, and was the father of eleven children, some of whom are now residents of the state.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 49.
Thomas J. Rooney, Sedan, Minnesota, is a man whose history invites reflection on the secret of success in this great northwestern country. There are very few men who have come to this state with assured financial standing, and those who have gained wealth and affluence are very largely those whose native industry, shrewd business insight and daring have brought its due reward. Success means in Minnesota more than it does in the older East. Here it means pluck and courage and self reliance. There it may mean the bolstering help of friends and favoring circumstances.
Thomas J. Rooney, to whom we devote this sketch, is a striking example of a Minnesota self-made business man. A hardware and machine merchant in the village of Sedan, Pope county, he is equally well known as a farmer, a speculator and a keen and careful business man in central Minnesota. Born in the Province of Quebec, Canada, July 3, 1869, he is the fourth in order of six children born to Thomas and Bridget (Brown) Rooney, both natives of Ireland.
About 1869 the family moved from their Canadian home to Stearns county, Minnesota, thus making Thomas J., from the second year of his childhood, a resident of the Gopher state. About 1900 he crossed the county line, and for a time was engaged in farming, but was later employed in Sedan, where he opened a hotel and livery. In 1903 he engaged in a hardware and machine trade, and is now well established in Sedan, where he is regarded as one of the progressive and advancing citizens.
In politics he is a Democrat, in religion a member of the Catholic church, but he has never seen fit to join the ranks of the Benedicts, preferring the happy life of a bachelor, and is deservedly popular among his acquaintances.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 786-87.
Joseph F. Rothwell, of whom a portrait is presented on another page, is a resident of Graceville township, and is one of the earliest settlers of Big Stone county. He has not only witnessed the wonderful transformation of this locality from a wild and uncultivated state to one of thrift and prosperity and a region rich in agriculture, but he has been a potent factor in its development, and has acquired a valuable estate and the highest esteem of those with whom he has associated for many years. He has a home of great comfort and is one of the worthy and substantial citizens of his township.
Mr. Rothwell was born in Sauk county, Wisconsin, in May, 1860. His father, John Rothwell, and mother, Hannah (Cheek) Rothwell, were born in England and came to America when children. The father settled in Massachusetts, where the grandfather of our subject was a weaver and he worked in the mills in Massachusetts. Our subject's father became an engraver and later followed the machinist's and engineer's trades.
Joseph Rothwell lived with his parents in Wisconsin until 1870 or '71, when the family located in St. Paul, Minnesota. They came to Big Stone county in 1876 and the father took a homestead in section 33. He organized a colony to settle in this region. Our subject was a youth of sixteen years and he assumed the management of the homestead farm and placed the improvements on the place. He built a claim shanty where the family lived the first year and he also built many shanties for other settlers. He continued with his father and operated the home farm and during the early days made many trips to Morris and as it was a long journey he often camped on the prairie enroute. The first crop on the farm in 1877 consisted of buckwheat and corn. During the first years he met with losses by prairie fires and hail. He remained on his father's homestead until 1900 when the land was sold, and our subject then moved to his own farm. He erected a complete set of farm buildings, including one of the most commodious residences in the locality, two barns, one 32 by 54 feet, and a granary or elevator 32 by 60 feet, with a capacity of twenty thousand bushels. In 1895 he raised an average crop of over thirty-one bushels per acre. He has a fine windmill on his farm and the place evidences thrift and painstaking care in its operation.
Mr. Rothwell was married in 1899 to Miss Rosa L. Wentworth. Mrs. Rothwell was born at Fergus Falls, Ottertail county, Minnesota. Her father, George Wentworth, was a farmer by occupation. To Mr. and Mrs. Rothwell the following children have been born, namely: Harvey, born July 10, 1900; Charles W., born August 2, 1901, and John Henry, born September 15, 1903. Mr. Rothwell is one of the influential citizens of his township and county and has served in numerous offices of importance, including chairman of the towship [sic] board of supervisors two years and three years as a member of the same board, probate judge of Big Stone county, and county commissioner, being elected to the latter office in 1900 and still serving in his capacity. He has also held the office of school clerk in his district. He votes independent of party and favors reform principles, and was one of the organizers of the People's party. Mr. Rothwell's father served in the Civil war five years, in the engineer corps of the Wisconsin Heavy Artillery.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 626.
Frank Rudnick, a resident of Walters township, Lac-qui-parle county, and one of the forehanded men of that community, was born in Germany June 12, 1869, a son of Carl Rudnick, who followed farming in the Fatherland, and who died several years ago.
Frank Rudnick was next to the youngest in a family of four children, and was reared to manhood in his native country, where he was given a good common school education. He was put to work when quite young, and in 1891 came to the United States, landing in New York City, and making his way to Lac-qui-parle county, where he bought a farm, and followed farming until 1897. That year he sold out, and went into a general merchandise business at Rosen.
Mr. Rudnick was married February 15, 1897, to Miss Mary Stoughton, also German-born and bred. They have two children, George and Lajoe, both born in Lac-qui-parle county.
As a Democrat Mr. Rudnick has taken an active interest in local affairs, and has been prospered in his business enterprises, owning now about five acres of land, and a good home beside the store. He has been appointed postmaster, and has the Rosen postoffice in connection with his store.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 825.
Edward Rufer, one of the most extensive farmers of Andrea township, is an old settler of Wilkin county. He is a man of wide experience and by his good management and industry, supplemented by honest dealings, has acquired a valuable property, and has become recognized as one of the substantial and worthy citizens of his county.
Mr. Rufer was born in Switzerland, in 1861. His father, John Rufer, was of German descent and was a farmer of Switzerland. Of a family of four children our subject was the youngest. He was reared in his native land and there received the advantages of a common school education. He began to make his own way in the world at the age of eighteen years and was employed on the neighboring farms. He came to America in 1881, landing in New York city. He came direct to Wilkin county and took a homestead and built a claim shanty and a sod barn. He has been a resident there since that date. Breckenridge was the nearest town at the time of his settlement in Wilkin county, and he was obliged to go fifteen miles to that town for supplies. Mr. Rufer has built up a good farm and is now the fortunate possessor of two hundred and eighty acres of land, about two hundred and forty acres of which he has placed under high cultivation. He has erected a complete set of good farm buildings on the place and a comfortable and pleasant home. He has a windmill and all modern machinery to facilitate the work of the farm and a nice grove is one of the valuable features of the place. The trees for this grove our subject planted in the early years of his residence there. His land is made to produce abundantly and the yield of wheat in 1895 averaged thirty-two bushels per acre, and the same year oats averaged fifty-five bushels per acre. Mr. Rufer is a thorough and systematic farmer and has met with deserved success in his farming. In 1895 and again in '96 he sustained losses by hail but despite these discouragements he has gone steadily forward and is now one of the well-to-do men of his community.
Mr. Rufer was married in 1888 to Miss Elizabeth Bush, who was born in Germany in 1870. Mr. and Mrs. Rufer are the parents of three children, who are named as follows: Edward, William, and Charles. All were born in Wilkin county. Mr. Rufer has served as a member of the township board of supervisors and politically is a Democrat.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 604.
Rev. Albert W. Ryan, rector of St. Paul's church of Duluth, and president of St. Luke's hospital of that city, is a gentleman of more than ordinary executive ability, and commands more than passing notice. He is a scholarly gentleman, earnest and active in his work, beloved by his people, and esteemed throughout the state of Minnesota. His labors in St. Louis county have been very successful and the work he has accomplished there is of more than usual importance.
Rev. Mr. Ryan was born in Mt. Clemens, Michigan, in 1856. He was educated in that city and at the University of Michigan, from which institution he graduated in 1878 with the degree of B. A. He then taught in the public schools and later became student and tutor at Seabury Divinity School at Faribault, Minnesota, graduating from there in 1882 with the degree of B. D. He served as temporary missionary at Howell and Brighton, Michigan, and from 1883 to '93 was rector of Trinity Memorial church at Warren, Pennsylvania. For a number of years while a resident of that city he was president and manager of the public library board, and was also president of the Shakespeare Club, and took an active and leading part in literary circles. He went to his present position as rector of St. Paul's church in Duluth in 1893. His past ten years of work there have been given also to building up the St. Luke's hospital, of which he serves as president. There has been erected a fire-proof modern hospital on the corner of Ninth avenue east and First street. The hospital was organized in 1882, through the special efforts of Rev. C. A. Cummings, then rector of St. Paul's church. A portion of the old hospital building was erected in 1883. The original building has since been added to, and during the rectorship of our subject an annex and laundry have been built. The property has been sold during the past year and a four story, stone and brick building has been constructed on the corner of Ninth avenue east and First street. This work is to be under the personal supervision of our subject. The old hospital had a capacity of thirty-five and the new structure with all modern conveniences will be able to accommodate ninety. Twenty-four nurses are now in the training school.
St. Paul's church of Duluth was organized in 1869, through the efforts of Jay Cooke, General Seargent [sic], and other old settlers of Duluth. The first rector was Rev. Mason Gallagher. The building was completed and formally opened December 25, 1869, Rev. Mr. Gallagher officiating. Part of the original structure remains, but has been added to on all sides. The church societies include the Ladies' Guild, the Woman's Auxiliary, Guild of St. Barnabas, the Young Ladies' Club, St. Luke's Guild, and the Sunday School Guild. Some of the most noted rectors include Rev. Dr. C. A. Pool, D. D., now professor of divinity at Faribault, Minnesota; and Rev. William M. Barker, D. D., afterward bishop of Olympia, Washington.
Rev. Albert W. Ryan was married in 1879 to Mrs. Ida (Bellis) Ryan. Mr. and Mrs. Ryan are the parents of two children, namely: Douglas B., in the American Exchange Bank, Duluth, Minnesota; and Margaret A., a student in the University of Minneapolis. Rev. Mr. Ryan is president of the Duluth Humane Society, and served several years as state vice-president of that society. He is president of the standing committee of the District of Duluth, and for four sessions he was delegate to the General Convention.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 539-40.
There were 3601 visitors from 12 May 2006 to 4 Jul 2011. Visitor stats were lost 5 Nov 2005 to 12 May 2006 because of a broken counter. There were 695 visitors to this page from 29 May 2001 until its move to this site on 5 Nov 2005.
Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN
© 2001 - 2011