Sever T. Sampson, who occupies a foremost place as an energetic and prosperous agriculturist is a pioneer of Wilkin county, and has a well improved and valuable estate in Prairie View township. He has devoted his career to agriculture and has become thoroughly versed in this calling, and has made a success in the same. He is a man of sterling character and enjoys the respect of all who have the pleasure of his acquaintance.
Mr. Sampson was born near Bergen, Norway, October 20, 1842. He came with his parents to America in 1844 and the father settled with his family in Illinois. In 1848 they moved to Columbia county, Wisconsin, and in this wild frontier country our subject was reared to manhood. He received his education in the common schools and remained at home assisting his father until 1875, the last few years of his residence there conducting the home farm. He lived on a farm in Wisconsin, conducting the same for himself for four years, and in 1884 came to Wilkin county, Minnesota, purchasing land in section 36 of Prairie View township. This was a wild prairie farm and had no improvements, but he at once set about to make himself a comfortable home thereon, and he is now the owner of a valuable property, covering two hundred and forty acres. Of this he has about two hundred acres under cultivation. He engages in grain raising almost exclusively and has met with pronounced success in Minnesota. A fine grove, the trees of which he planted in the early days there is one of the valuable features of the place, adding beauty to the landscape and furnishing fine shelter from the elements.
Mr. Sampson was married July 8, 1875, to Miss Annie Errickson, a native of Norway. Mrs. Sampson's father was an old settler and farmer of Wisconsin. Three sons were born of this marriage, namely: Edward Theodore, born in Columbia county, Wisconsin, June 26, 1878, died July 12, 1880; Fred, born November 29, 1879, in Freeborn county, Minnesota; and Edward, born in the same county, October 12, 1881. Mr. Sampson is a gentleman of broad mind and he keeps pace with current events and lends his influence for the upbuilding of his community financially and socially. He is a Republican politically and stands firmly for the principles of his party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 472-73.
Industry and integrity are the stepping stones by which the gentleman here named has reached success. Mr. Samuelson is the owner of one of the finest farms of Chisago county, and he has acquired the same by persistent and untiring labor and good management, supplemented by honest dealings. He has met with reverses, but losses did not discourage him and he is now one of the substantial men of his county. He resides on his pleasant farm in Sunrise township, where he has gathered about him all the comforts and many of the luxuries of life.
Our subject was born in Sweden in 1849. His father was a farmer and spent his life in Sweden. Of a family of eight children our subject was the fourth in order of birth. He was reared in his native land and was early put to work on the home farm, and later worked on the railroad until he was twenty-seven years of age. He then began farming and followed this occupation in Sweden for six years. In 1882 he came to America and went direct to Chisago county. During his first week's stay he bought a portion of his present estate and erected a small frame house thereon. He had but enough money to purchase the land and as it was all timber he could not realize any income from it for some time. He used oxen and continued to clear and improve the land. He was the first to construct a bridge over Goose Creek and thus open a road to his farm. He now owns four hundred acres of valuable land, about half of which is cleared. He has all necessary buildings and machinery for conducting an extensive farm, and he keeps about forty head of stock. He is engaged to some extent in stock raising and dairying and also raises grain and hay. He refused an offer of $8,000 for the best half of his farm. He lost seven horses which were valued at $1,000. During one year his stock and potato crop sold for $1,800. This is all a result of his own efforts.
Mr. Samuelson was married in 1876 to Josephine Johnson, a native of Sweden, and the daughter of a farmer of that country. Mr. and Mrs. Samuelson are the parents of five children, namely: Jennie, Edwin, Emma, Esther and Alma. The oldest two were born in Sweden, and the younger children were born in America. Mr. Samuelson is a wide awake citizen of active public spirit and has served in numerous local offices of trust. He has been school trustee for four years, and has also served as a member of the board of supervisors, and road overseer. He assisted in the establishment and building of some of the most important business enterprises of Harris, including the Harris Creamery and the Harris Starch factory. He is also interested in the church work of that city and assisted in the erection of the church building there. He is a Republican in political faith, but votes independent of party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 622.
In selecting land on which to build a permanent home much is to be considered. The task is less difficult in a country where civilization has marked the causes and effects of the elements on human work, and where man has lived for years and developed the country, but in a pioneer country, where naught but the boundless forest or prairie are in evidence the task becomes one of seriousness. To decide unwisely means many years of perhaps futile toil before one is convinced of the waste of time and endeavors, while a wise judgment brings reward beyond the expectation of the early settler of the region. Many of the farms of the Red River valley have become famous for their productiveness and pleasant locations, and these have profited the possessors in a degree wholly satisfactory. Among the pleasantly located and fertile farms of Red River township, Kittson county, that owned and operated by Mr. Jonas Sandberg is especially mentionable. This tract was located and settled upon by our subject in June, 1879, Mr. Sandberg thus becoming the first Scandinavian settler of the township, and he also erected one of the first buildings, a log structure 14x20 feet. His home is on section 34, where he chose his residence in the early day, and his present fine property bears out the assertion that he chose wisely. Misfortunes have attended him in the way of floods and other unavoidable disasters, but despite these discouragements he has remained a resident of Red River township and has gained the high esteem and respect of his associates as a farmer and citizen.
Our subject was born in Sweden, July 17, 1838. He came to America in 1868, and after working in different places for some years he settled in Kandiyohi county, Minnesota, and in 1879 he disposed of his interests there and started overland with an ox-team for Kittson county. He completed the journey of two hundred miles in this manner, and his family later joined him in the new home. During the first winter snow was too deep for oxen to travel, and our subject carried his provisions from Hallock on his back. This is but one of the drawbacks experienced in the early days there, and Mr. Sandberg can recount many incidents of pioneering which are most interesting. His pioneer home was carried away and destroyed by spring floods and he has sustained severe losses from high water. His farm is on the banks of the river, and is pleasant as to location, his home being built on the banks of the stream.
Our subject was married in 1869 to Miss Anna C. Peterson, who is also a native of Sweden. Mr. and Mrs. Sandberg are the parents of four children, who are named as follows: Ida L., now Mrs. Peter Lindahl; Minnie T.; Emil G.; and Jennie B. Mr. Sandberg is thoroughly interested in the development and advancement of his adopted land, and he is identified with the Republican party politically. He is a member of the Swedish Lutheran church.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 264.
Charles Schenck, one of the best known residents of Wilkin county, has spent the greater part of his life in the pursuit of farming and he has met with pronounced success in his development of a fine farm in Mitchell township. He resided there for many years, and is classed among the prominent old settlers of that region.
Mr. Schenck was born in Red Bank, New Jersey, on a farm in 1851. His father, Chris Schenck, was a farmer by occupation and was a native of Switzerland. Our subject was the fourth in a family of ten children and he came with his parents to Illinois in 1865, and was there reared and resided until eighteen years of age. He came to Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, in 1869, and worked in the lumber woods and on the log drives for fourteen years. He became familiar with the Mississippi river as far down as St. Louis. In 1881 he came to Wilkin county and there secured employment and earned enough to purchase a team and about 1885 he began farming. For a few seasons he was employed in the lumber woods. He rented land in Wilkin county and in 1890 purchased the same farm of Mr. Ely. He fought prairie fires many times and passed through many trying experiences. The larger part of his farm was broken with ox teams. For many years he has made a specialty of raising seed grain and he has experimented with several kinds and is well versed on this topic. He succeeded in improving 480 acres of land, placing good buildings thereon and having the place well stocked and well kept. In 1889 he made a trip through Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma, but decided his home state was best. In the spring of 1903 he disposed of his farming interests in Wilkin county and contemplates removal to Kanabec county, Minnesota.
Mr. Schenck was married April 22, 1885, to Miss Alice Golden. Mrs. Schenck was born in Nauvoo, Illinois, and was a daughter of William Golden, a farmer of that state. Mr. and Mrs. Schenck are the parents of four children, namely: Roy, Ely, Orville, and Viola. Our subject is a gentleman of broad mind and strong convictions and is a leader among his fellow men. He has served as school treasurer for twelve years and as a member of the township board. He is an advocate of socialism and reform principles.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 328.
Peter Schlemmer, well and favorably known as a prosperous and successful resident of Granite Falls, Minnesota, has played many parts in his life, and has done them all well. As a farmer he was industrious and persistent, and as a result of his unwearied labors, economy, and thrift he owns a fine farm of three hundred and twenty acres, nearly all of which is under high cultivation. He has held political station and is known throughout the county, as a man of ability and honesty. All township offices, with the exception of constable, have been held by him at one time or another, and in 1902 he was elected county register of deeds. As a husband and father he has done his full share, and as a member of the German Lutheran church, he has been faithful and devoted to its affairs. He has been a deacon and some official position in the church has always been filled by him. He has helped build churches, one after the other.
Peter Schlemmer was born in Alsace, France (now in Germany,) December 31, 1853, where his father, who was a laborer, lived and died. His mother, who came to America, in 1891, is still living with her children. Young Peter, who attained his majority in 1874, came to Minnesota in 1872, and made his home in Carver county, where at first he followed carpentering. In 1877 he settled on a farm in Redwood county, Minnesota, and six years later settled on a farm in Posen township, Yellow Medicine county, and here he began under extremely primitive conditions. He lived in a dug-out, with a board roof, and used ox teams. When he first settled his nearest market was eighteen miles. Conditions gradually improved, and in 1902 when he was elected register of deeds, he was fairly advanced. He had taken an active part in public affairs, both in state and national and has made his impression on the political activities of the community.
Mr. Schlemmer was married February 12, 1877, to Miss Christina Schmidt, also born in Alsace, and in the same locality was Mr. Schlemmer. She died September 11, 1902, leaving a family of children: Peter, Christina (deceased), Phillip J., Adam, Katie, Christian H., Ernest V. and Emilia M.
Mr. Schlemmer was in active farming operations, and made much of buying and selling cattle, feeding for the markets, and selling for a rise. He is an old timer, and has done his full share in building up the community.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 495-96.
Detlef Schliep, one of the wealthy landed proprietors of Walter township, Lac-qui-parle county, and a farmer who does not need to blush for the neat and well-kept appearances of his broad acres, was born in Germany, December 23, 1865.
Detlef Schliep, the Lac-qui-parle county farmer, attained his majority in Germany, and in 1883 came to the American shore, spending a few months in Canada, and then removing to Iowa, where he followed farming until 1902. That year he disposed of his Iowa lands and bought a fine farm in Lac-qui-parle county, where he is found today much pleased with the improved condition of affairs the transfer to this part of Minnesota has wrought for him.
Mr. Schliep was married in 1893 to Miss Gertruda Longbehn. She was born in Germany, and by her marriage to Mr. Schliep has become the mother of a family of three children, Arnold, Herbert, and Hertha. These are bright and promising children, a source of much delight to their parents.
Detlef Schliep is a Republican and is coming to exercise much influence in local affairs where his sound views and good business capacity command much respect.
The Schliep farm consists of some two hundred acres, well fitted up and provided with a good family home and other farm buildings as well as a fine grove and machinery ample to all the requirements of the place.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 507.
B. C. Schram, a young and popular bank cashier of Wood Lake, Minnesota, was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. His father, Christian Schram, was born in Iceland, was trained to the carpenter and building trade, and made a settlement in Minnesota in 1878. The son was educated in the local schools, and was a graduate of the Gem City Business College, Quincy, Illinois, in 1896.
B. C. Schram had his first commercial employment in the bank at Cottonwood, Minnesota, where he also clerked for a time in another bank. In the fall of 1899 he became cashier of the bank of Wood Lake, owned at that time by J. H. Catlin, of Cottonwood, Minnesota. This bank was incorporated in 1902 as the State Bank of Wood Lake, with the following list of officers: J. H. Catlin, president; B. C. Schram, cashier; J. P. Hauck, vice-president; and Walter C. Hauck, assistant cashier. This bank was established in 1897 by Illsey & Olin, who were owners up to 1897. It has had a good career from the beginning, and is steadily growing, doing as it does a very careful and conservative business. The stockholders, with but one exception, live in this part of the county, and it is thus practically a home institution.
Mr. Schram was married in 1903 to Miss Florence Furguson, a daughter of Peter Furguson, of Canby, where he deals in farm implements and machinery.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 329.
The Rev. Ignatius Schumacher, a resident of Clara City, Chippewa county, is widely known and highly respected throughout a wide section of Minnesota, alike for his sincere and godly life, his learning and devotion. He was born in St. Michaels, Minnesota, in 1876, and is a son of Nicholas Schumacher, of German birth and breeding. The young Ignatius attended parochial school at St. Thomas College as early as six years of age. After graduating from this institution he spent six years at St. Paul Seminary, from which he was graduated in 1891. On April 7, of the same year, he entered the priesthood, and was stationed at Faribault until June 7, 1901, when he was sent to Clara City, to become parish priest at that point.
The St. Clara church was established, and the church building erected, also a parsonage. The entire activities of the church show efficient management and attest the worth and enthusiasm of the young pastor, who also has charge of the Sacred Heart church at Raymond. This church was organized in the summer of 1902, and is already provided with a neat and attractive church building.
The Rev. Mr. Schumacher has already given full proof of his ministry, and the membership of the two churches over which he has charge is steadily increasing. The congregations are in flourishing circumstances, and his influence as a priest and a citizen is widely felt.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 408-11.
George W. Sear, who is widely known as a bright and progressive tiller of the soil, has done much to quicken thought and help western farmers to a better undertaking of the conditions under which their work must be carried on if they wish success. He has a good farm in Maxwell township, Lac-qui-parle county, and for years has given much thought to raising of apple trees and other fruit in western Minnesota, as well as to the other scarcely less important question of what forest trees are best to be grown, not only for fuel but for shelter as well.
Mr. Sear was born on a farm in Dakota county, Minnesota, December 30, 1862. In 1877 he accompanied his parents in their removal to Lac-qui-parle county, and here he has lived to the present time. Until he reached the age of twenty-two years he made his home with his parents. In the fall of 1886 he started for himself on his farm. In 1883 he had bought a part of his present farm, and part of it he did not acquire until 1889. He was married December 30, 1889, to Miss Selma C. Fondell. Her father, Andrew, was born in Sweden, and early brought his family to America, where they are well and favorably known among the old settlers of Minnesota.
George W. Sear has spent all his time on his farm, and has now a handsome and well appointed place of one hundred and sixty acres here in Lac-qui-parle county. He also owns some land in North Dakota. On his home place he has put on all the improvements himself. In 1896 his crops were totally destroyed by hail. As noted above he is much interested in the culture of fruit, and in fact it is said that he and his brother, William T., whose sketch appears elsewhere, have the two finest orchards in this part of the state.
Although doing much raising of grain, Mr. Sear is working into hogs more and more. In politics he is an independent voter, and has been a member of the town board in all some fifteen years. For twelve years he has been chairman of the board. Taking much interest in former years in political affairs, he has attended different county, state and congressional conventions, and served on various party committees. He is also a member of the creamery association and the Farmers' Elevator Company at Dawson. A portrait of Mr. Sear will be found on another page of this volume.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 408.
William T. Sear, a very successful and forehanded farmer of the town of Maxwell, has been a resident of Lac-qui-parle county since his early boyhood, so that he is thoroughly identified with life on the frontier, and knows its light and dark shades by experience. He was born in Dakota county, Minnesota, on a farm in 1865, living there until he was thirteen years old. At that time he removed with parents in their settlement in Lac-qui-parle county, and his home remained with them until he reached the age of twenty-five years. For the three years following he lived with his brother.
Mr. Sear was married in the fall of 1892 to Miss Blanche C. Bowers. She was born in Iowa, and her parents are now residents of the village of Dawson. Her mother was born in Michigan, and her father in Pennsylvania. The Bowers family is of Pennsylvania Dutch descent, and among her ancestors are some of the solid people of that state in former days. Mr. and Mrs. Sear have three children, all of whom were born on the farm: Lillie, Arthur and Clara.
The present Sear farm was bought in 1890, and has now been in the hands of the subject about thirteen years. In that time he has brought it from a state of but partial improvement to high cultivation and fine order. It is now provided with good buildings, a grove that kindles admiration, one hundred and sixty apple trees, almost as many plum tres, and a great variety of small fruits chief among which are found strawberries. The place contains one hundred and sixty acres, and is one of the model farms of the town. In politics he is independent, and asks for the best men and measures.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 456.
Charles Selleneit, residing on his tree claim adjoining the village of Nashua, is one of the early settlers of Wilkin county, and he has done his full share toward the development of the agricultural interests of that region. He has improved a fine farm in Champion township, which he now rents to others, and he is one of the well-to-do and worthy citizens of his locality.
Mr. Selleneit was born in a village in east Prussia, Germany, in 1831. He was reared in his native country and there learned the tailor's trade and followed his trade through different parts of Germany. He came to America in 1863, landing in New York City. He visited Baltimore, Richmond and Philadelphia, but spent most of his time in New York City. He came to St. Paul in 1878 and the following year came to Wilkin county, Minnesota, and settled on a homestead claim in section 26, township 130, range 45. He lived in the depot at Tintah for two months until he could erect buildings on his farm, and he began his farm work with oxen and did his trading at Campbell. He lived on his homestead twenty-three years and built up a fine farm, well improved and equipped with all conveniences and machinery. He rented his land in 1902 and removed to his tree claim in section 26, adjoining the village of Nashua, where he has since made his home. He has a new residence and is comfortably situated. He owns a farm of three hundred acres, forty acres of which is hay land and on this farm he has a set of good buildings and all necessary machinery.
Mr. Selleneit was married in 1867 to Miss Annie Horn, a native of Germany. Of this marriage eight children have been born, namely: Charles, Lizzie, Henry, Adolph, Lewis, Julia, Annie and Laura. Four were born in New York and four in Minnesota. Adolph is engaged in the wood and fuel business in Nashua. Mr. Selleneit is a man of wide experience and broad mind and he is an influential citizen. He is independent in political affairs, and lends his influence for good government, local and national.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 690-91.
Severson & Olson, dealers in general merchandise and gents' furnishing goods, at Vining, Minnesota, are well known business men of Ottertail county. They have conducted this business in partnership for some years, and have built up a good trade and have supplied the needs of that community, and carry a complete stock in their line. They are gentlemen of practical business ideas, and by integrity and honest dealings have gained an enviable reputation.
The firm of Severson & Olson was established in 1897, and they now carry a stock valued at twenty-five hundred dollars, and also own their business block.
Mr. Severson, senior member of the firm of Severson & Olson, is a gentleman of wide acquaintance in Ottertail county, and is the efficient and popular postmaster of Vining. He takes a deep interest in local public affairs, and has been identified with the growth of the locality for some years.
Mr. Severson was married, May 8, 1891, to Julia Olson, a native of Norway. In political sentiment he is a Republican, and is a member of the Lutheran church. He is a worthy citizen and well merits his high standing and success.
Mr. Olson, junior member of the firm of Severson & Olson, was born in Norway, and since 1888 has made his home in America. He emigrated to this country and made his way direct to Ottertail county, Minnesota, where he worked out for some time. He attended the Concordia College at Moorhead, Minnesota, and after completing his studies in that institution went to Vining, and in 1897 engaged with Mr. Severson in the mercantile business.
Mr. Olson was married, June 14, 1899, to Lena Severson. Mrs. Olson was born in Minnesota August 18, 1874. Mr. Olson is a Republican in political faith, and lends his influence for good government. He is a young man of good business capacity, and his success and good reputation are deserved.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 307-08.
Among the commercial interests of Chisago county stock raising takes a leading place. Many of the agriculturists of Amador township have engaged successfully in this line of farming, and the gentleman above named takes a prominent place among the number. Mr. Sheldon is the owner of a well improved farm and is a substantial and highly esteemed citizen.
Mr. Sheldon was born on a farm in Chautauqua county, New York, in 1830. His father, David Sheldon, was a prosperous farmer of that state and spent his life there. Of a family of five children our subject was the second in order of birth. He was reared on the home farm and received his education in his native state. After attaining his majority he worked at farm labor and continued thus employed about four years. He went to Minnesota in 1855 and in the fall of the same year purchased his present home farm. During the first winter he drove a team to the lumber woods and in the spring bought a small log house and there lived for four years. He had no team until 1860, when he secured some oxen and began to work his own land. His first breaking cost him six dollars per day for the use of a team and plow and he did the work himself. The first barrel of flour cost fifteen dollars, and potatoes were a dollar and a half per bushel. The nearest mill was at Osceola, Wisconsin, and our subject and brother made a trail through the woods in 1856 to Washington Prairie to purchase a large coffee mill in which to grind grain for flour, and they supplied their neighbors with this provision without charge. In the early days Mr. Sheldon enjoyed many deer hunts and he killed many of them and also some bears in his neighborhood. He has steadily improved his estate and is now the owner of four hundred acres of valuable land, half of which is under cultivation, and the rest is timber land. He has erected a complete set of substantial farm buildings and has a comfortable and pleasant home, and devotes his entire attention to the operation of his farm. During the winters of 1857-58, '60-61, and '63-64 he was engaged in teaching in Minnesota and Wisconsin and during one year resided in the latter state.
Mr. Sheldon was married in 1860 to Miss Annie Spade. Mrs. Sheldon was born in Ohio and came to Minnesota in 1854. Mr. Sheldon is an ex-soldier of the Civil war. He enlisted in 1864 and served one year with the Second Minnesota Battery, in Tennessee and was at Chattanooga. He is a gentleman of active public spirit, and has served in every township office. He is a stanch Republican, and has attended numerous conventions as a delegate. He is widely kown [sic] as an old settler of Chisago county, and a worthy citizen. On another page of this work will be found portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Sheldon.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 608.
H. L. Shirley, president of the Merchants' State Bank of Breckenridge, Minnesota, is one of the influential citizens of Wilkin county. He has been associated with the development of the commercial interests of that locality for the past thirteen or more years and has become one of the best known and most highly respected citizens of his locality. He is a gentleman of active public spirit and has served in various offices of trust, always discharging the duties of his office faithfully and well and he now enjoys the confidence of the community where he makes his home.
Mr. Shirley was born in Soler, Norway, on a farm in 1862. His father, Lars Shirley, came to America in 1869 and settled in Winneshiek county, Iowa, becoming a pioneer of that region. He came to Minnesota and located on a farm in Ottertail county, near Rothsay, in 1879. He resided there until the fall of 1888, when he moved to Rothsay and there engaged in the grain business with the Northwestern Elevator Company.
H. L. Shirley was reared on the home farm and received his early education in the country schools of his neighborhood. He was elected register of deeds in Wilkin county in the fall of 1890, and became a resident of Breckenridge in December of that year. He held the office twelve years, the fact of his being re-elected five times evidencing his faithful service. He was elected president of the Merchants' State Bank in January, 1902, and since 1903 has had charge of the affairs of this institution. This bank was established about 1898 as a private bank by Joseph Gunn, and was organized as a State Bank in January, 1901, when Mr. Shirley was chosen to manage the affairs as president. The bank was sold to Mr. Shirley and other stockholders in 1902. This institution does a general banking business, including farm loans, and is interested largely in real estate in Wilkin county, including farm lands and village property. Mr. Shirley is proprietor of Park Addition to the village of Breckenridge, consisting of three parks and one hundred and eighty lots. He has been identified with the growth of the town for the past thirteen years and is one of the leading promoters.
Mr. Shirley was married in 1886 to Miss Bertha Kaupang. Mrs. Shirley was born in Nicolet county, Minnesota, and is of Scandinavian parentage. To Mr. and Mrs. Shirley six children have been born, namely: John, now aged fourteen years; Clara, aged twelve years; Alma, aged ten years; Halbert, eight years of age; and Earl, four years of age. Mr. Shirley takes an active part in public affairs and is a stanch Democrat politically. He has attended numerous county and state conventions as a delegate and was a candidate of his party for state treasurer in the fall of 1902. He is a man of wide influence and had many supporters irrespective of party affiliations.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 423.
Adolph Siegert, who occupies a prominent place among the younger members of the farming community of Lac-qui-parle county, is proprietor of a valuable estate in Yellow Bank township. He has spent his entire career in Minnesota, and is a citizen of worth and commands the respect of all with whom he has to do.
Mr. Siegert was born in Carver county, Minnesota, and is a citizen of worth and commands the respect of all with whom he has to do.
Mr. Siegert was born in Carver county, Minnesota, September 8, 1870. His father, Gottlib Siegert, is of old German stock. He came to Lac-qui-parle county in the early 'seventies and took a homestead. He now resides in Odessa, Big Stone county, Minnesota.
Our subject came to Lac-qui-parle county with his parents at the age of eight years and was here reared and educated, attending the common schools. He began farm work at the age of twelve years and became his father's assistant on the home farm. He continued with him for some years and received a practical knowledge of the vocation which he now follows. He engages in diversified farming and is the owner of four hundred and forty acres of land, nearly all of which is under cultivation, and has some timber and pasture. He has two good houses and a good barn on the place and other farm buildings and every appointment of the place bespeaks painstaking care in its operation. He has built up a good home and enjoys a comfortable competence from the same.
Mr. Siegert was married in 1895 to Miss Emma Beutler. Mrs. Siegert was born in Lac-qui-parle county, Minnesota, April 22, 1878. Her father, Frank Beutler, is of German blood. He followed farming in Lac-qui-parle county, and in 1901 removed to South Dakota, where he is now engaged in agricultural pursuits. Mr. and Mrs. Siegert are the parents of four children, namely Anna, Waldimar, Elisbeth, and Paul, all of whom were born on the home farm in Lac-qui-parle county. Mr. Siegert takes an active and commendable interest in all local public affairs and has served as road overseer and enjoys the confidence of his associates. He is a Republican in political sentiment and stands firmly for the principles of his party.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 329.
The number of visitors from 4 Jul 2011 to Dec 2014 was lost.
There were 1629 visitors from 12 May 2006 to 4 Jul 2011. Visitor stats were lost 5 Nov 2005 to 12 May 2006 because of a broken counter. There were 1886 visitors to this page from 29 May 2001 until its move to this site on 5 Nov 2005.
Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN
© 2001 - 2015