Hans C. Teien, one of the substantial farmers of Swift county, resides on section 12 of Torning township, and is widely and favorably known as an agriculturist of energy and intelligence and a worthy citizen. He owns a farm of two hundred and eighty acres and has made a success of his farming pursuits.
Mr. Teien was born in Norway, August 31, 1849, and was a son of Christen T. and Helen Teien. His father was a farmer in Norway, and of his family of eight children our subject was the second in order of birth. He and his father emigrated to America in 1869 and proceeded to Iowa. They remained there six months and then came to Swift county, Minnesota. The father secured a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres on section 12 where our subject now lives, and Hans C. took an eighty-acre homestead in section 2 of the same township. The father was a man of persistent industry and he acquired a fine property of two hundred and eighty acres, now owned by our subject and purchased from the father by him a year or so prior to the father's death, which occurred September 16, 1901. The mother died in Norway before any of the family came to America.
Hans C. Teien engages in mixed farming and has a well improved estate. He has a commodious residence recently enlarged and remodeled, good barns, and other farm buildings and a fine grove. He sold his first eighty acres of land, together with another eighty-acre tract which he subsequently acquired and later purchased his late father's estate.
Mr. Teien was married in Swift county, Minnesota, January 17, 1899, to Martha Monsen, Mrs. Teien was born in Norway and her parents, Mons and Margaret Monsen, reside on a farm in Swift county. To Mr. and Mrs. Teien two children have been born, Hilda and Tillie. Mr. Teien is one of the directors of the school board, and has filled the office of assessor for many years. He is a member of the Norwegian Lutheran church and in politics is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 421.
Daniel M. Tenney, a well-to-do farmer of Traverse county, has a well improved estate in Folsom township on which he makes his home, and is also the owner of other valuable farm and town property in South Dakota. He has acquired all his possessions through energetic labors and good business management, and is prepared to enjoy his declining years surrounded by all the comforts of life.
Mr. Tenney was born in Stowe, Middlesex county, Massachusetts, July 3, 1844. His father, Jason B. Tenney, was born in Massachusetts in 1814, and was raised and educated in Stowe. He died in 1854. Our subject's grandfather, Moody Tenney was also a native of Massachusetts and was born in 1781. He was a farmer by occupation. The great-grandfather of our subject, Eliphalet Tenney, was born in either England or Scotland and served in the army in his native land.
Daniel M. Tenney was reared in Massachusetts and received his education in the common schools. At the age of fourteen years he began to work out on farms to earn his own way and at the age of seventeen years entered a blacksmith shop where he made and repaired axes. He later learned the blacksmith's trade, and in 1871 came to Swift county, Minnesota, where he established a shop and followed his trade for a year. He then worked at his trade in Pope county for about six months. In 1873 he went to Bigstone City, Grant county, South Dakota, and took a preemption claim. This he proved up on and sold half of it in 1878. A year prior to this he came to Browns Valley, Traverse county, Minnesota, and ran a trading post for one winter In the spring of 1878 he drove a stage from Sisseton agency, South Dakota, to Fort Sisseton, a distance of twenty-eight miles. He also did hauling from Breckenridge to Sisseton. In the fall of 1878 he accepted a position as blacksmith for the government and was thus engaged about two years. He took a homestead claim in Folsom township, Traverse county, in March, 1877, and built a claim shanty and a straw shed. He moved onto his homestead in the fall of 1880 and lived there alone for one year. He steadily improved his farm and is now the owner of one hundred and sixty acres in Traverse county and also owns twenty acres of land in Grant county, South Dakota, and thirty-five residence lots in Tenney and Martell's addition to Bigstone City. He has his farm all under cultivation, all machinery for conducting a model farm, and has a comfortable residence and other buildings on the place and is now constructing a commodious and substantial barn. He is obliged to walk on his knees to perform all his work, as he suffered the loss of both legs during the winter of 1872-73. While driving across the prairie accompanied by his wife's sister and her sister-in-law, enroute from Pope county, Minnesota, to Bigstone City, at the foot of Bigstone Lake, a blizzard overtook them and they were lost and were exposed to the weather for two days and two nights. Mr. Tenney had his legs so badly frozen that amputation of both just below the knees was necessary to save his life, and in this condition he has done most of his farm work, only leaving to others what it was impossible for him to personally perform.
Mr. Tenney was married in 1880 to Miss Patty Coburn. Mrs. Tenney was born in Frost Village, Canada, in 1844. Her father, George Coburn, was of English stock, and was a tailor by trade. He died in 1880. Mr. and Mrs. Tenney are the parents of one child, a son named James C., who was born on the farm in Traverse county. Mr. Tenney is one of the prominent citizens of his locality and he has served as a member of the school board. He is a Republican in political sentiment.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 463-64.
Fred W. Tepel, deceased, was for many years prior to his demise a leading agriculturist of Chisago county. He became widely known as a man of perseverance and strong character and at his death was mourned as a worthy citizen and old settler of Wyoming township.
Mr. Tepel was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1825. His father, John H. Tepel, was a blacksmith by trade and our subject learned the same trade in his native land. He was reared there and came with his parents to America in 1843. The family settled at St. Louis, where they resided for about ten years. Our subject went to St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1857 and lived in a log house on the corner of Third and Robert streets for three years. He went to Chisago county in 1860 and settled where the town of Wyoming now stands. He purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land and erected a log house of one room where he lived for three years. St. Paul was the nearest market and he made many trips to that city with oxen. During the Indian scare in 1862 he remained in St. Paul three days until the trouble subsided. He secured his first horse team in 1863, but these died within four weeks after their purchase and he had to again resort to farming with his oxen. He worked with untiring energy and perseverance and steadily added improvements to his farm and at the time of his death was owner of one of the best farms of that locality.
Mr. Tepel was married in 1847 to Miss Fredericka W. Trogeler. Mrs. Tepel was born in Prussia, Germany, in 1826 and came to America alone in 1844. Her father, Frederick W. Trogeler, was a tailor by trade. Her parents died in Germany. To Mr. and Mrs. Tepel seven children were born, of whom George and Emma are now at home. The children are as follows: Fred, born in St. Paul in 1854; Emma, born in Wyoming, Minnesota, in 1858; Lizzie, born in the same village in 1861; Edward, also born in Wyoming, in 1864; George, born in Wyoming in 1866, and Laura, born in Wyoming, in 1871. Mr. Tepel died on his home farm in Chisago county in 1899. He was one of the leading men of his township and served as school treasurer and supervisor.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 748-49.
Rev. I. Tharaldsen, pastor of the United Norwegian Lutheran church of Madison, Minnesota, is one of the best known ministers of this part of the state. He has traveled over most of the state in an official capacity and has gained a host of friends, and is highly esteemed by all. Under his guidance the local church at Madison has prospered to a marked degree and his labors here are appreciated by his people, and he is beloved by them.
Rev. Mr. Tharaldsen was born on a farm near Throndhjem, Norway, in 1847. His father was a carpenter and cabinet maker and furniture manufacturer. He spent his life in Norway. Our subject was the fourth and youngest child of the family and he was reared in his native land and there received his education and after emigrating to America he attended the Academy at Marshall, Wisconsin, the State University at Madison, Wisconsin, and the State University at Minneapolis. He studied theology at Oxberg Seminary at Minneapolis, and was ordained at Ft. Howard, Wisconsin. The first call he acepted [sic] was in Ottertail county, Minnesota, and he worked as a missionary and attended several churches. He spent ten years in this county and in labors in the Red River Valley and he has ministered to a score of churches which he assisted in organizing. He went to Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, in 1884, where he spent thirteen years. In 1897 he came to Madison and accepted the pastorate of the United Norwegian Lutheran church. This church was organized by the union of the Norwegian and Danish conference and the congregation belonging to the Anti-Missourian Brotherhood about 1890. The present church edifice was then erected and is the largest church building in Madison. The congregation numbers 600 souls and during the past five years has doubled in numbers. The church owns half of a square block and one of the valuable additions to the property is a convenient and comfortable parsonage which the congregation has recently erected for their pastor and family.
Rev. Mr. Tharaldsen attended the conference of the Danish and Norwegian Lutheran churches of America and was the first secretary of missions and general secretary of the conference for five years. After the union of these churches he was chairman of the committee on publications. He is at present visitor for this district and has fifty to sixty churches within the district, which is the Montevideo district, consisting of Chippewa, Swift, Kandiyohi, Renville, Yellow Medicine, Lac-qui-parle and Big Stone counties. After serving ten years as a missionary Rev. Mr. Tharaldsen's health failed and he then traveled through Colorado, Utah and New Mexico to recuperate. In 1902 he and his daughter traveled over England, Scotland, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Belgium.
Our subject was married in 1876 to Miss Caroline Amelia Engrud. Mrs. Tharaldsen was born in Racine, Wisconsin, and her father was a skilled mechanic. Five children have been born of this marriage, namely: Gudrun M., who married H. L. Sarknes, died in 1901; Thorfinn, a physician of Cottonwood, Minnesota; Aagot, Conrad E. and Hjalmar. The three last named reside at home with their parents.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 680-81.
Jacob J. Thomas, an old settler of Wilkin county, who has aided materially in the develop-ment of that locality, resides on his well-improved estate in Prairie View township.
Mr. Thomas was born on a farm in Quebec, Canada, in 1853. His father, William Thomas, was of old Canadian stock and his ancestors were of Welsh extraction. The mother of our subject was of English and Scotch descent.
Mr. Thomas is the eldest of a family of eight children, and he was reared in his native place and in Goodhue county, Minnesota, where the father settled in 1856, and there followed farming. He assisted his father on the home farm until he attained his majority and then began for himself and worked for the farmers of the neighborhood. He visited Wilkin county and bought land in section 13 and erected a building thereon. His first crop on the place was in 1880 and this was a patch of potatoes. Hail destroyed his crops two different years and he suffered the loss of a part crop at another season through the same agency. He has persevered, however, and is now owner of one hundred and sixty acres of good land, of which he has about one hundred acres under plow. He has erected good buildings and is surrounded by all the comforts of rural life and enjoys success.
Mr. Thomas was married in Wabasha county, in 1879 to Miss Nancy Heys. Mrs. Thomas was born in the state of New York and her father, Henry Heys, was a pioneer settler of Goodhue county, Minnesota. Her parents were natives of England. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas are the parents of five children, namely: Leslie L., Lula B., Vern E., Lee W., and Alice M. Mr. Thomas is actively interested in the welfare of his community and has served for many years as township clerk and has acted as supervisor. He is a Democrat in political sentiment and has attended numerous county conventions as a delegate.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 822-23.
Thomas A. Thompson, a prosperous and much respected farmer of the township of Augusta, Lac-qui-parle county, much deserves the abundant success that has come to him as the reward of industry, economy and thrift. He was born in Wisconsin, February 18, 1866, and is a son of Andrew Thompson. The family is of Norwegian extraction, and the father came to Wisconsin at an early day. He settled on a farm, and made his home in that state for some years. Later he removed to Iowa, where he is still engaged in active and vigorous farming.
Thomas A. Thompson reached manhood, and finished his schooling in the public schools in Iowa. When he was only fourteen years of age he had to work out and carry the burden of his own support. This he did in fine shape, and in 1896 was able to begin farming for himself in Iowa. Three years later he came to Minnesota, and in 1899 bought the southwest quarter of section 4, in the township of Augusta, and thus became a resident of Lac-qui-parle county. Here his course has been uniformly successful, and he may well be congratulated upon the results that have come to his labor and care. Mr. Thompson was married May 14, 1895, to Miss Lena Benndahl, who was born in Iowa in 1867. Of their three children, Helga and Julia were born in Iowa, and Alice in Lac-gui-parle county.
Mr. Thompson now owns a fine farm consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, nearly all of which is under high cultivation, only enough for pasture and meadow being reserved from the plow. Special mention should be made of his farm home, and other buildings, as well as the ten acre grove, which are much beyond the average, and well deserve attention. His business and social standing is beyond question.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 356.
Andrew Thoresen, who was born in Norway in 1832 and is now living in peace and quiet on his handsome and well appointed farm in Lac-qui-parle township, Lac-qui-parle county, is well entitled to the rich measure of success that has come to him through hard work and thrift. He has worked and saved for years, and now is reaping its legitimate reward.
Mr. Thoresen did not come to America until full age, being thirty-three years old when he set foot on the soil of America at Quebec. He did not remain in Canada, but immediately came into Minnesota and for five years was engaged in working on farms in Goodhue county. In 1870 he struck out for himself as a homestead farmer, and located on a claim in Lac-qui-parle county, where he built a claim shanty, put up a sod barn, did his first breaking with oxen, and squared himself to the work of making a cultivated farm out of the wilderness. The years have come and gone, with their joys and sorrows, and he has held steadily on his way until now he owns a farm of eight hundred and fifty acres, well provided with farm buildings, and showing the effects of careful tillage and good management on every hand.
Mrs. Thoresen was born in Norway, and they have a family of three children: Theo A., Engebor Ana, and Serena. The oldest child was born in Norway, the second child in Goodhue county, and the last on the farm in Lac-qui-parle county.
Mr. Thoreson is a Republican, and has many friends in the community who hold him in high esteem for his many good qualities and sterling worth.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 455.
Mrs. Harrietta Thornburg, the popular and genial landlady of the Jewel Hotel at Marietta, Minnesota, and one of the old and prosperous settlers of the Lac-qui-parle county, where she has had a long and eventful history, was born in the state of Maine, August 6, 1853. When she was only three years old, she was brought by her parents to Wisconsin, where she was reared to young womanhood, and where she received such education as the common schools of the day afforded. Her first marriage occurred April 25, 1872, when she became the wife of Francis Kierns. The husband came of French ancestry, and was an upright and hardworking man. Mr. and Mrs. Kierns joined the stream of western emigration, and soon after their marriage located on a homestead in Lac-qui-parle county. Here six years after their location the husband died and the wife was left a widow with all the property bequeathed to her. In her second marriage she became the wife of Leon Thornburg, who came of a German ancestry.
Mrs. Thornburg has reared a numerous family, eight children coming to her first marriage, and one to her second. She is now living in Marietta, where she owns and operates the Jewel Hotel, one of the leading hostelries of this part of the state. She has lived in the town a year (1903), and has impressed the community as a lady of marked force of character and genuine worth. She owns a farm of four hundred acres, that her oldest son has in charge and is doing well with it. She has also made extensive investments in Marietta property, and is an alert and active business woman.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 545.
O. B. Thorpe, for years one of the prominent characters of Granite Falls, and now in business in that thriving Minnesota city for himself, was born in Vang, Walders, Norway, in 1856. His father, who was a stock raiser and farmer, grew to manhood in Norway where he was born and educated, came to America in 1872 and landed in Portland, Maine. He came west to Renville county, Minnesota, and for a time was settled in the town of Vang, where for a year and a half he followed farm work. In 1874 he came to Granite Falls, where for two years he worked as a clerk in a hardware store. One summer he worked at the machine business, and was clerk in a general merchandise store in Granite Falls up to 1896, being connected with two different firms during that time, and the following year, in company with H. A. Hamre, opened a general store. For two years Mr. Hamre and Mr. Thorpe continued together and for two years Mr. Thorpe was in business alone.
The present partnership in which Mr. Thorpe is associated with O. B. Johnson was formed in 1901 and is a pre-eminently successful affair. They carry a general line of goods in a building very substantially constructed 25 by 100 feet, and have built up a fine trade. They have every reason to feel flattered at the success that has attended their efforts to win their share of the popular trade.
Mr. Thorpe was married in 1896 to Miss Nellie Nelson. She was born in St. Peter, Minnesota, and her father was both a farmer and a real estate man. He served in the Union army, enlisting when only sixteen years old and played a soldier's part manfully.
Mr. Thorpe is a strong Republican and has spent all his time with business interests so that he has but little time to devote to political matters. His standing is high among the old settlers in Granite Falls. In the early days Mr. Thorpe has had all the experiences common to life on the frontier and has done his full share to the upbuilding of the wilderness.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 514-17.
I. A. Thorson, one of the popular educators of Minnesota, is superintendent of schools of Aitkin, Minnesota. He is an instructor of note, and has devoted his life to study and is a gentleman of high attainments.
Mr. Thorson was born in the village of Rock Dell, Olmsted county, Minnesota, September 22, 1874. His father, J. A. Thorson, was born in Norway, and is a minister in the Lutheran church and has for a number of years served as vice-president of that church organization. He is now in charge of one of the largest congregations in the synod. The mother of our subject, Mrs. Thorson (nee Haugan), was of English-Scandinavian descent, and was born in America. She was an accomplished musician and linguist, and spoke, aside from the English language, German French and Norwegian, and was a lady of excellent education. Her brother, H. G. Haugan, is president of the State Bank of Chicago, and another brother, H. A. Haugan, is comptroller of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad. The mother comes from aristocratic families on both sides.
I. A. Thorson was the third in a family of eight children, and he was reared in his native village and attended the common schools. At the age of twenty years he graduated from the college at Decorah, Iowa, with the degree of A. B. While attending this institution he had charge of the musical department and was leader of the college band, orchestra and glee club. He also took a prominent part in athletic sports, football, baseball, etc. He completed a review course at Valparaiso Northern Indiana Normal, and in 1895 was elected principal of the high school at Renville, Minnesota. At the time of his assuming charge of this school it was upgraded, and after one year's work there Mr. Thorson had it graded and classed with the state graded schools, and in 1897 it was admitted as a high school. During that year he was elected superintendent of the school, and had ten teachers in his charge. He gave up his duties at Renville in 1899 and entered Johns Hopkins University at Baltimore, Maryland, where he took post-graduate work in history and philosophy. He had previously done graduate work at the University of Minnesota, and after a short time would take the degree of Ph. D. at Johns Hopkins, but received the offer of the superintendency of the Aitkin high school and accepted the same. While attending the former college he was the leader of the university mandolin club and glee club, and took a leading part in all games and athletic work. Since taking charge of the Aitkin high school he has organized athletic teams among the boys and girls, and has also organized a high school band consisting of twenty-five pieces, which is in a flourishing condition and reflects great credit upon the labors of Mr. Thorson. He has brought about radical changes for the betterment of the school system and work of the school, and is a popular and efficient superintendent. He has chosen the profession of teaching and has met with success, and has become one of the best known educators of the northwest.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 263.
The Gopher State Printing Company, publishers of the Glenwood "Gopher," and job printers, consists of G. S. Thorson and G. B. Wollan, the former being business manager, and the latter editor. Both are natives of Glenwood, Minnesota.
Mr. Thorson was born April 29, 1877, and became a printer's apprentice when about fourteen years of age, following that business mostly in Glenwood until 1898. That year he enlisted in Company D, Fifteenth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, with the rank of corporal. After the termination of the Spanish-American war, he was in the employ of Golding & Co., of Chicago, manufacturers and distributors of printing supplies, as traveling salesman, until May, 1903, when he returned to Glenwood, and became a partner in the Gopher State Printing Company.
In August, 1902, Mr. Thorson was united in marriage with Miss Nannie J. Lee, of Benton Harbor, Michigan.
G. B. Wollan was born in Glenwood, Minnesota, September 21, 1877. After completing the local high school course, he entered Luther College, Decorah, Iowa, from which he was graduated in June, 1897. The following year he was elected professor of Greek History and English at the Glenwood Academy, when he became, after a year at the academy, assistant cashier of the Pope County Bank,-a position he occupied until January 1, 1901. During the 1901 session of the Minnesota Legislature, he was general clerk of the House of Representatives; and in the 1903 session was second assistant secretary of the senate. During the greater part of 1901 and 1902 he was advertising manager of the Fremad Association at Glenwood. In 1902 he was president of the North Central Minnesota Lumbermen's Association, and in May, 1903, entered into partnership with Mr. Thorson, as noted above to form the Gopher State Printing Company.
Mr. Wollan and Miss Minnie S. Bergh, of St. Paul, were united in marriage June 15, 1903.
Aside from publishing the Glenwood "Gopher," and doing all kinds of commercial job printing and embossing, the company also manufactures duplicate sales books, while a large part of its plant and force is employed in the production of the goods for the patent bookkeeping system of the Landing-Ronning Company, known as the "Landing System of Labor-Saving Bookkeeping."
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 790.
Horace N. Tibbils, one of the older pioneers of Yellow Medicine county, whose farm has long been noted in Wood Lake township, as being one of the model establishments of the farming community in this part of the state, was born on a farm a mile and a half from Auburn, New York, in February, 1835. This farm had been in the hands of the Tibbils family since its acquirement by the great-grandfather of Horace N., and here Harvey Tibbils, the father of our subject, lived and reared his children. In his later life he went to Iowa, and died in Tama county.
When Horace N. Tibbils was of age he left home, and established himself as a pioneer in Wisconsin, thirty-five miles from Milwaukee. Here he married in 1843 Miss Annie Hall, who was born in New York, and had been a school teacher in Wisconsin and Minnesota. They have three adopted children, Isa, married to F. W. Watson, a physician; Homer, and Hazel.
Mr. Tibbils remained in Wisconsin until 1869, following farming the most of the time. In February, 1865, he donned the Union blue but did not reach the battle front until about the time of the surrender of Lee. Prior to his enlistment he had been a teamster in the government service in Missouri and saw as hard service as the enlisted men. After the war Mr. Tibbils removed to Eau Claire, where he drove mule team four years. In July, 1870, he settled on his present farm in Wood Lake township, having come into Yellow Medicine county the previous year. He erected a log house on his place during the winter of 1869-70, and near the point where he got out his logs there was a camp of more than a hundred Indians. He has passed through many hard experiences, and has suffered many privations, but he has lived through, and now owns a fine and well appointed farm of two hundred and fifteen acres, with about one hundred and twenty acres under cultivation. He also owns two hundred and forty acres elsewhere in the state. On this, his home farm, there is a fine and thrifty growth of trees, making a farm grove that would grace any establishment of the kind.
Mr. Tibbils has been one of the better citizens of the town, anxious to promote the general welfare, and ready to render his share of public service. He helped organize the township and school district, and from time to time has filled various local positions. He has travelled over a large section of the state in early days and is thoroughly contented with his own home in Yellow Medicine county. He says that in "early days we had small crops, but always got a living."
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 373-74.
Hon. T. K. Torgerson, a prominent farmer of Cuba township, Becker county, resides on section twenty-two, where he has a comfortable home and valuable farm. Mr. Torgerson was born in Norway, September 8, 1850.
The parents of our subject were Knute and Borghild (Helgison) Torgerson, both natives of Norway. When our subject was ten years old he came to America, taking up his residence in Nicollet county, Minnesota. There he attended the public schools and worked on the farm. In 1876 he came to Becker county, driving from St. Peter with an ox team. The trip occupied six weeks. He took up a homestead claim and built a log house and barn. He has met with success in his farming operations and is now the owner of 160 acres of valuable land, 100 of which is under annual cultivation, and the remainder devoted to meadow and pasture. He has built him a good home, and has surrounded it with many comforts and conveniences. His farm is well supplied with water, completely stocked with horses and cattle, and fitted with farm machinery of every kind. Mr. Torgerson has taken an active interest in public matters. He is a Republican in political sentiment and enjoys the confidence of his party. He was chosen in 1883 to the state legislature, representing the counties of Clay, Becker and Wilkins. During Cleveland's administration he served as deputy collector of internal revenue for four years. He has served as chairman of the board of supervisors and as assessor of Cuba township, and also as justice of the peace. He has taken an active interest in educational matters, serving as district clerk for some years and as a director for the past twenty years.
In 1871 Mr. Torgerson was married to Nellie Knutson. Mrs. Torgerson is a native of Norway, and was born October 1, 1855. Three children have been born of this marriage, as follows: Carolina, Eliza and Thomas B. The family worship with the Lutheran church at Lake Park.
As a pioneer of Minnesota Mr. Torgerson experienced the hardships and dangers of the northwest frontier. In 1862 the Indians started on the war-path, and on August 23 our subject was seriously wounded and left for dead. However, some friends found him and took him to St. Peter. The Indians attacked the wagons, and our subject on two occasions barely escaped scalping. The father of our subject helped to resist the Indians at the massacre of New Ulm, and was the means of saving many lives.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 197-98.
Edward A. Tronnes, numbered among the pioneers of Norman county, Minnesota (formerly included in Polk county), has built up a fine farm in Shelly township, and there resides, surrounded by the comforts of life and esteemed by his associates.
Mr. Tronnes was born in Nordland, Norway, March 21, 1850. He spent his childhood in his native land, and in June, 1869, came to America, going direct to Goodhue county, Minnesota, where he worked near Zumbrota during the summer, and in the falls went to the pineries of Wisconsin, where he remained a year and a half. He then returned to Goodhue county, Minnesota, but the same year removed to Wilkin county, intending to settle there. He was not satisfied with the prospect, however, and the next spring, in company with his brothers, Ole and Theodore, he went with ox teams to the Red river. He first squatted on the south half of the southeast quarter of section 12, in Shelley township, and after the government survey filed a pre-emption claim. He also filed a homestead claim to the south half of the southwest quarter of the same section. He first built a small log shanty, and in this lived alone for a number of years. He has added to his possessions from time to time as circumstances justified, and he is now the owner of five hundred acres of good land, upon which he has placed valuable improvements. He is engaged in wheat-raising, and has met with good results in this line. He pays strict attention to his farm interests, and is a systematic and painstaking agriculturist. During his first year's residence in that part of Minnesota he teamed for the Hudson's Bay Company, and later for the Northern Pacific Railroad west from Moorhead, and also made one trip west for the government to Fort Totten. He sold wood to the steamboat company to aid him in furthering his farming operations.
Mr. Tronnes was married, in 1874, to Miss Lena Jacobson. Mrs. Tronnes was a native of Norway, and died April 28, 1887. Four children born to this union survive her, namely: Anne, Ada, Peter and Bertha. Mr. Tronnes was married to Miss Pauline Olson in 1892. Mrs. Tronnes died January 19, 1895. One son was born of this marriage, Arthur, who still survives. Mr. Tronnes is a member of the Peoples party politically, but gives little attention to public affairs. He is a man of good character, and well merits his high standing.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 275-76.
For twenty years the citizens of Forest Prairie township, Meeker county, have had in their midst a worthy citizen in the person of the gentleman above named. He has been identified with the agricultural interests there and has succeeded in building up a good home for himself and an enviable reputation. He resides on section 6 and is surrounded by all the comforts of life.
Mr. Tschumperlim was born in Germany August 12, 1833. His parents, Anton and Caroline (Weakit) Tschumperlim, were from Switzerland.
Our subject came to America in 1861 and came direct to Carver county, Minnesota. He purchased a farm there and September 11, of the same year, he enlisted in Company I, Ninth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He served until September 3, 1864, and was a loyal and true soldier and received his honorable discharge from the service. He took up his residence in Meeker county, Minnesota, in August, 1882, and purchased a farm on section 6 of Forest Prairie township. He now has eighty acres of land and on this he has built a good house, and large barn, and other farm buildings and has a well improved and well equipped farm.
Mr. Tschumperlim was married in 1871 to Johanna Allers, who was born in Holland, August 22, 1851. Seven children have been born to bless this union, namely: Fred, Hubert, Caroline, Anna, Joseph, Mary and Charles. The family are well and favorably known in Meeker county.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 760.
Ensign R. Tuttle, who for the past twenty years has been successfully pursuing agriculture in Morrison county, is a gentleman of energetic spirit and capable mind. He has a pleasant home in section 20 of Motley township, and there enjoys the fruits of a well-spent career.
Mr. Tuttle was born in Connecticut, October 16, 1835, and was a son of Jesse and Rachel (Bathoran) Tuttle. The father was born in Connecticut, January 2, 1784, and the mother was a native of Massachusetts. Mr. Tuttle remained in his native state until he was fourteen years of age, when he removed to Massachusetts and remained there until he was eighteen years of age. He went to Wisconsin in 1854, stayed one summer and returned home, and in the spring of 1855 returned to Whitewater, Wisconsin, and then went to Prairie du Chien and worked in a brick yard and on a farm until 1858. In 1859 he went to Whiteside county, Illinois, came back to Prairie du Chien in 1863, and in 1864 enlisted from Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, and became a member of Company A, Forty-third Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He participated in several severe engagements, and after one year's service was mustered out at Nashville, Tennessee, and discharged at Milwaukee, October, 1865. He returned to his home in Wisconsin, and the following year moved to Minnesota, locating in Freeborn county; from there he moved to Moore county, and later to Waseca county. He afterward took up his residence in Steele county, and in 1881 came to Morrison county, purchasing his present farm. The land is pleasantly located in the forks of the Crow Wing and Long Prairie rivers, and consists of seventy-six acres. On this tract Mr. Turtle has erected a comfortable residence and good farm buildings, and keeps a sufficient supply of stock and horses for farm use. He has good water on the farm, and, although smaller than some farms of the locality, is among the highly cultivated tracts and furnishes a good annual income.
Mr. Tuttle was married in 1858 to Esther Morse. Mrs. Tuttle was born in England February 27, 1843, and died in Minnesota August 28, 1888. Seven children were born of this union, namely: Ellen A., May E., Bertha L., Ida Ruth, Mary W., Jennie B. and Jesse. Mr. Turtle was married to Eliza Goodrich October 15, 1894. Mrs. Tuttle was born in New York July 30, 1820. Mr. Tuttle is a member of the G. A. R. lodge at Motley. He is a Republican politically and is firm in his convictions. The portrait of Mr. Tuttle will be found on another page in this volume.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 224-27.
William C. Tyndall, county sheriff of Itasca county, Minnesota, is one of the foremost citizens of that locality. He was an early settler there and has a wide circle of acquaintances by whom he is highly esteemed.
Mr. Tyndall was born on a farm in Ontario, Canada, August 7, 1861. His father, Thomas Tyndall, was born in Ireland and was a farmer by occupation. He came to America later in life. He was prominent in army circles and served in the British army in Ireland, being an officer. He came to Canada with his wife and two children. He was a circuit judge in Canada and prominent in public affairs of Ontario. He was twice married and the mother of our subject, Harriet (Watchorn) Tyndall, was the second wife. She was a native of Canada and was of Irish descent.
William C. Lyndall [sic] was the fifth in a family of thirteen children, and he had two half-brothers. He was raised on a farm and attended the country schools. The father died when he was seven years of age, and by the death of his mother, when he was aged nine years, he was left an orphan. He then started for himself, hiring out at mill work and farming at different places near Parmiston, Ontario. He grew to manhood there and aided in the support of his younger brothers and sisters. He went to Lyons Head, Ontario, at the age of nineteen years and run an engine for Robert Watt in a saw mill and gristmill and was thus engaged one year. In 1881 he went to Minnesota, and later to Old Superior, Wisconsin, and there worked for railroad contractor McDonald, building the Northern Pacific Railroad west to Carlton and also to Cloquet. Mr. Tyndall worked for the Payne Lumber Company at Carlton one summer and in 1882 went to Cloquet and took charge of the Ellis Trimmer for the lumber company at that place, where he remained eight years. While in Carlton and Cloquet he was appointed deputy sheriff under sheriffs Flynn and Monroe and served two terms. He was engaged in business in Cloquet six years, opening one of the first saloons on the island there. He lost his building and stock by fire in 1884, but soon afterward rebuilt his store. He went to Grand Rapids in 1889, a year prior to the building of the Great Northern Railroad through that town. He established a wholesale liquor business and was the first man to establish a wholesale business in that part of the country. His first stock of goods was taken by team from LaPrairie. He continued in the wholesale business until 1898, when he was elected sheriff of Itasca county on the Republican ticket and was re-elected in 1901. He has built up a good business for himself, and he has acquired considerable property in Itasca county. He owns a large farm two miles from Grand Rapids, of which sixty-five acres is cleared for cultivation, and he has a smaller farm on the shore of Pokegama Lake, which is all cleared and devoted to grain raising. Outside of the state farm the one owned by Mr. Tyndall is the best developed farm in Itasca county.
Mr. Tyndall was married, November 3, 1885, to Miss Ellinor Salter. Mrs. Tyndall was born in Port Algon, Ontario, and was of Scotch and English descent. Her father, James Salter, was a farmer by occupation, and was a native of England. Her mother, Catherine Salter, was born in Scotland. Mr. and Mrs. Tyndall are the parents of three children, namely: Alice E., Hazel E. and William W. The daughters were born at Cloquet, Minnesota, and the son at Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Mr. Tyndall is a stanch Republican politically, and was the first sheriff of Itasca county elected by the Republican party. He has also served two terms as village treasurer and enjoys the confidence of all with whom he has to do.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 186.
Visitor stats from 4 Jul 2011 to Dec 2014, lost. There were 1930 visitors from 12 May 2006 to 4 Jul 2011. Visitor stats were lost 5 Nov 2005 to 12 May 2006 because of a broken counter. There were 942 visitors to this page from 3 Jun 2001 until its move to this site on 5 Nov 2005.
Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN
© 2001 - 2015