David D. Waite, one of the leading business men of Childs, Minnesota, and the efficient and popular postmaster of that town, is an early settler of Wilkin county, and enjoys the confidence of all who have the pleasure of his acquaintance. He representes one of the leading families of this locality, and for many years was actively engaged in farming in Campbell township. He is connected with the St. Anthony and Dakota Elevator Company in the grain business.
Mr. Waite was born in Waupaca county, Wisconsin, in 1856. His father, Thomas Waite, was of English stock, and his mother of Irish descent. A sketch of his father's life will be found elsewhere in this volume.
David D. Waite was reared in Wisconsin and received a liberal education in the common schools and high school, and at the age of twenty years he was engaged in teaching. He later clerked in a general store at Spencer, Wisconsin, for two years. He came to Minnesota in 1879 and took a homestead in May of that year in section 30, township 130, range 46. He was the first settler of the southwest corner of Campbell township. He built a claim shanty and during the first summer lived there alone. He farmed with oxen for the first three years and was in debt for the cost of his filing papers. In 1887 he came to section 24, of the same township, and continued farming and also began purchasing grain for the St. Anthony and Dakota Elevator Company, and conducted their elevator prior to the organization of Childs village. He is now the owner of four hundred and eighty acres of land adjoining Childs and also has land in Traverse county, and in Canada, and in 1895 the yield from his different farms aggregated 22,000 bushels. In 1892, he erected a building in Childs and until 1900 conducted a general merchandise business and then sold his stock to R. J. Marfell. He has dealt extensively in real estate in Campbell township. The post-office at Childs was established in 1888 and Mr. Waite was appointed postmaster and has filled the office continuously since that date. He was one of the organizers of the Merchants Bank of Breckenridge, which institution was organized in 1896, and for five years he served as cashier. He sold his interest in the bank in 1901. In all his business ventures he has prospered and is a wide-awake business man.
Mr. Waite was married in the fall of 1879 to Miss Charlotte L. Swan. Mrs. Waite was born in Badger, Wisconsin, and her father, James Swan, was a farmer of that state. Mr. and Mrs. Waite are the parents of five children, namely: Edgar E., connected with the New York Life Insurance Company; Robert R., Fern F., David D. Jr., and Vera. The first two were born in Wisconsin and the other children in Minnesota. Mr. Waite is a prominent citizen of Wilkin county, and has served in numerous local offices, including chairman of the township board of supervisors, township treasurer, clerk and assessor. He assisted in the organization of Campbell township and in the organization of school district No. 8, one of the first districts organized in this locality. He is a stanch Republican and is a usual delegate to conventions of his party and is now committeeman of his district.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 713-14.
Thomas Waite, who is living in retirement in his pleasant home in Childs, Minnesota, is the owner of considerable real estate in different parts of Wilkin county. He is an old settler of that region and for many years was actively engaged in the pursuit of agriculture. He is an ex-soldier of the Civil war and is a man of sterling character and commands the respect and esteem of his associates.
Mr. Waite was born in Wiltshire, England, in 1831. His father, Edward Waite, was a farmer. He settled in Canada in 1842 and remained there until his death. Our subject was reared and educated in Canada, attending the common schools. He came to the United States in 1850 and worked at farm labor in Illinois and later resided in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. He followed lumbering, rafting and log driving and worked for some of the largest lumbering concerns in Wisconsin. In the fall of 1863 he enlisted in the Thirty-second Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He saw service in Mississippi and went on the famous march through Georgia to the sea, and to Newport, South Carolina. He participated in the grand review at Washington and was then returned to Louisville, Kentucky, and in the fall of 1865 received his honorable discharge from the service. He was in all save one of the engagements of his regiment and twice was grazed with minie balls. After the close of the war he returned to his home and began farming. In 1879 he came to Wilkin county and took a homestead on which he resided until the fall of 1902, when he moved to Childs and since 1897 has done no active farm service. He owns eight hundred acres of land and leases this to other parties, deriving a comfortable income from the same.
Mr. Waite was married in 1855 to Miss Samantha Sansburn. Mrs. Waite was born in Canada. Her father was a native of Ireland, and her mother was born in South Carolina. Mr. and Mrs. Waite are the parents of three children, namely: David D., of whom a sketch is given elsewhere in this volume; John E., and Catherine.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 711.
Thomas B. Waite, a representative farmer of Campbell township, and one of the prominent old settlers of Wilkin county, is a man of energetic nature and honest dealings. He has acquired a valuable estate in Wilkin county, and has aided materially in bringing that region into a high state of civilization.
Mr. Waite was born on a farm in Ontario, Canada, in 1854. His father, John Waite, was born in England, and came to Canada. He was a farmer and settled in Wisconsin in 1870. Our subject was the eldest of a family of ten children and he was reared in Canada, and came with the family to the United States in 1870. He had limited school advantages and was early put at farm work. After he was sixteen years of age he spent nine winters in the lumber woods of Wisconsin and was employed at farm work during the summers. He came to Wilkin county, Minnesota, in 1879 and took a homestead in section 30, of Campbell township, and built a shanty thereon, where he lived alone the first year. After filing his homestead claim he had but six dollars and owed for a week's board. He and his cousin, D. D. Waite, bought a yoke of oxen on time and he did all his first farming with oxen. His first crop in 1880 was fair. He lived on his homestead until 1884 and then exchanged it for other land and about 1886 moved to his present farm in the southeast quarter of section 30. He has erected good buildings and now has a thoroughly improved farm of four hundred acres, three hundred and fifty of which is under high cultivation, and he has fifty acres in meadow. He has all machinery necessary and has a thoroughly equipped farm. He has devoted his entire time and attention to his farm work and has prospered.
Mr. Waite was married in 1881 to Miss Jennie Minto. Mrs. Waite was born in Wisconsin, and her father, Arthur Minto, was of Scotch blood and was a farmer by occupation. Mr. and Mrs. Waite are the parents of children, namely: Mary, Earl, Rodger, Florence, Bessie and Margaret. Mr. Waite is school clerk and has served as township treasurer four years and a member of the board of supervisors. He is a stanch Republican politically.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 718-19.
Joseph W. Wakefield, one of the pioneers of Minnesota, and a business man of influence in Aitkin county, has won his high station by industry, enterprise and integrity. He is now a resident of Aitkin and is engaged in the logging business.
Mr. Wakefield was born in Washington county, Maine, in 1836. His father, Lewis Wakefield, was of American birth, as was also his grandfather, Benjamin Wakefield. The family is of Scotch ancestry. The mother of our subject was of English descent and bore the name of Abigail Watts prior to her marriage. The grandfather, Samuel Watts, fought in the War of 1812.
Joseph W. Wakefield was the third in a family of seven children. He was raised in Cherryfield, Maine, and attended the village schools. He later learned the millwright's trade from his father. He was the inventor of the patent roller process of flour-making, but was beaten out of his patent. When Mr. Wakefield was twenty years of age the family located in Minneapolis, then St. Anthony. Our subject followed the milling business there a short time, and in 1856 went to northern Minnesota and did some of the first lumbering done above the Pine river. He engaged in logging four years and was up and down the Mississippi river many times driving logs. In 1860 he began trading with the Indians in northern Minnesota and was there at the time of the outbreak in 1862, and was obliged to go to Fort Ripley and then to Minneapolis. On his way to Fort Ripley he was chased afoot three miles by the Indians and barely escaped capture. He traded at many posts in the northern part of the state and had twelve stores in that region. He continued in this business until 1884, at which time he owned a business at Grand Rapids. This he disposed of and went to Aitkin and entered into partnership with G. W. Knox in the mercantile business. They did an extensive business, and Mr. Wakefield later sold his interest to Mr. Knox, and he has, since 1884, engaged in the logging business.
Mr. Wakefield has a family of five children, three of whom were born of his first marriage, and two to the second union. He is a man of sterling worth and has done his full share in the opening up and developing of northern Minnesota. He has witnessed a most wonderful change in that region and has taken an active part in the same, and is among the honored pioneers of the locality. He is thoroughly familiar with the state, and traveled over the country in boats previous to the building of railroads through here. He has always taken an active part in local public affairs, and has served as county commissioner of Aitkin county, and as postmaster at Grand Rapids and Crow Wing, Minnesota. He is a Republican politically. Portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Wakefield appear upon another page in this volume.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 266-69.
Frank S. Walker, well known in the Princeton section of Mille Lacs county, Minnesota, was born in Hull, England, in 1864, being the second member of a family of four children born to James Walker, a prosperous and successful farmer and land owner of Yorkshire, where he lived and died.
Mr. Walker was reared in his native community, and had the advantage of the best private schools that the times afforded, and was graduated while still a youth from Barrow College. Following the completion of his college course he studied law, but his failing health compelled a change of vocation, which he sought by coming to America in 1881. For several years after his arrival on these western shores his home was in Toronto, Canada, where he was engaged in the employ of the Bradstreet Commercial and Mercantile Agency as a clerk. In 1887 he came to St. Paul, where he secured a situation with the firm of Yerxa Brothers in the grocery trade, which he held until 1893, the year of his coming to Princeton and of his purchase of a farm in section 25, three miles west of the village. Here he began farming, but the failures of the crops two years in succession necessitated his return to St. Paul, where he resumed work with Yerxa Brothers, remaining with them for two years, by which time things had greatly improved in the Mille Lacs country. Mr. Walker came back to Princeton to work for a time with Mr. Townsend, and then buying him out in 1898 and continuing his business to the present time.
Mr. Walker was married, in 1887, to Miss Eliza B. Bradshaw, a native of Ireland and a lady of many charming qualities. They have the following children: Eleanor, William H., Norman, Myron and Eileen. Her father, William P. Bradshaw, was a farmer and was living on the old family home in Ireland at the time of his daughter's marriage. Mr. Walker belongs to the Methodist church, and holds strong political convictions that bring him into the ranks of the Prohibitionists. He is a trustee of the church, and is an active man in the community. He is also a member of the Royal Arcanum.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 248.
Plympton A. Walling, M. D., the oldest physician of Hubbard county, has an extensive practice in his profession and is one of the deservedly popular citizens of his locality. He has passed twenty years of his life there and has built up a remunerative practice by his skillful treatment of the ills of mankind and his conscientious service for the relief of his fellows. His office is at Park Rapids, where he is also engaged in the drug business, and in this he has a large and increasing patronage. A portrait of him is shown on one of the pages of this volume.
Dr. Walling was born in Pennsylvania, January 11, 1850. His father, Asaph Walling, was a native of New York, and the mother of our subject, Anna (Negus) Walling, was born in Pennsylvania. Our subject was reared in his native state and attended the common schools and worked on the home farm, assisting his father thereon until he was about twenty years of age. He then entered the Edinboro (Pa.) Normal School, and afterward continued his studies in the University of Buffalo, New York, graduating from the medical department in that institution in 1876. He began his medical practice at Clymer, New York, where he remained until 1879, and then removed to Columbus, Pennsylvania. In 1882 he removed to Park Rapids, Minnesota. He has followed the practice of his profession here since that date, and in 1898 established a drug business in the city. He owns the building in which he conducts the drug business, and carries a stock of drugs valued at $2,500. He also owns his residence and two lots in Park Rapids valued at $2,500. Dr. Walling is the oldest member of his profession in Park Rapids, and has been coroner and health officer of the city. He is a member of the State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He is prominent in secret society circles, and is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and the K. O. T. M. Politically he is a Republican and he stands stanchly for the principles of his party. He is one of the oldest citizens of Hubbard county and is identified with its early history.
Dr. Walling was married in 1875 to Rosaline E. Kennedy. Mrs. Walling was born in Pennsylvania August 21, 1850. Three children have been born to Dr. and Mrs. Walling, namely: Jason M., Iva E. and Ivan E.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 218-21.
Probably no character in the early public life of Chisago county, Minnesota, became better known or gained a greater degree of confidence from those with whom he associated, than the subject of this review. Andrew Wallmark is a man of much force of character, honest, and industrious, and has always displayed an active public spirit, lending his influence for the good of his fellowmen. He is now in the evening of life, and enjoys the fruits of his labors as an agriculturist of Chisago county, his well improved farm being now conducted by his two sons, while he enjoys retirement from active pursuits. He makes his home near Chisago City.
Mr. Wallmark was born in the province of Halland, Sweden, in 1826. He followed farming and also bookkeeping in his youth and was superintendent of a farm in his native land. He emigrated to America in 1854, and settled on his present farm in Chisago county, Minnesota, purchasing the land from the government. He served as a public county official in numerous offices in the early day, part of the time renting out his land and during some seasons running it with hired help. He filled the office of justice of the peace, overseer of highways, and township supervisor, and was later elected sheriff of Chisago county, which office he faithfully filled for three terms. He was then appointed deputy county treasurer, and later was chosen register of deeds. In this latter office he served nineteen years, being re-elected time after time, and finally he refused to accept the office longer. After his retirement from public life he engaged his time wholly to the improvement and development of his farm, and he has now a fine estate. He is now seventy-fight years of age and has placed the operations of the farm with his sons.
Mr. Wallmark was married in 1856 to Miss Mary Shaleen. Mrs. Wallmark was born in Sweden, and came to America with her parents. The family were among the early settlers of Chisago county. Mrs. Wallmark died in May, 1900. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Wallmark, namely: Sophia, now married; Amanda, also married; Alida, since married residing at home; George and Theodore. The last two named now conduct the home farm. Mr. Wallmark's brother, Otto Wallmark, was one of the oldest settlers of Chisago county, and took an active part in public affairs, serving sixteen years as county auditor. He died in November, 1901. Mrs. Wallmark's brother, John Shaleen, was probate judge in Chisago county for about ten years. He died in September, 1901. Another brother, Peter Shaleen, was clerk of court for eight years. He was an organist of Center City for thirty-six years. He died in 1899. Andrew Wallmark is a stanch Republican and always worked earnestly for the principles of that party. He has served as a delegate to both county and state conventions, and has a wide acquaintance in Minnesota.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 494.
Charles A. Wallmark, a prominent business man of Chisago, Minnesota, is classed among the early settlers of Chisago county. He is a man of good business capacity and is enterprising and well and favorably known.
Mr. Wallmark was born in Chisago City, Chisago county, Minnesota, in 1860. His father, Otto Wallmark, was born in Halland, Sweden. He was engaged in clerking in his native land and in 1854 came with his brother, Andrew, to America. He spent a few months in Illinois and then some time in St. Paul. Minnesota, and also visited Duluth and Superior. He taught school and clerked in a general store in Chisago City and later in partnership with Mr. Klinger, bought the store and they operated the same for some time. He was elected county auditor and held the office for eighteen successive years and was then elected state senator and held the office one term. In the fall of 1882 he and his son-in-law went into the merchandise business together, owning two stores, one at Chisago City and one in Chisago. The Chisago City store was burned in 1895 and thereafter, until the spring of 1900, he and his son, Charles A., owned the business and conducted the same in Chisago. He was among the oldest settlers of the county and was always prominent in all public affairs and was delegate to the national Republican convention which met in Philadelphia, and was a delegate to numerous county and state conventions. He was twice married and of the first union two children were born, namely: Anna Louisa, and Charles A., our subject. A daughter was born of the second marriage, who died at the age of fifteen years. Mr. Wallmark departed this life in Chisago, Minnesota, in the fall of 1901.
Charles A. Wallmark began his business career as grain buyer for Arnquist & Wallmark at the age of eighteen years and he was connected with this firm for eighteen years.
Mr. Wallmark was married in 1892 to Miss Jennie Nelson. Mrs. Wallmark was born in Sweden and came to America when she was twelve years of age. Her father died in Sweden in 1900 and the mother is still living in that country. Mrs. Wallmark was engaged as clerk in a dry goods store in Minneapolis for several years. One son completes the family, Roy, who was born in 1894.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 455-56.
George Walters, an ex-soldier of the Civil war, and a well-known business man of Annandale, Minnesota, is engaged in the livery business and has met with success in his business ventures.
Mr. Walters was born in England in 1840, and was a son of Mathew Walters, also a native of England. He came to America in 1846, and lived in Ohio until he enlisted for the Civil war, September 5, 1861. He was a member of Company B, Ohio Light Artillery. He participated in the battles of Wild Cat Mountain, October 21, 1861; Mill Springs, Kentucky, January 19-20, 1862; Perryville, Kentucky, October 8, 1862; Lauring, Tennessee, December 26, 1862; Jane River, Tennessee, December 31, 1862, to January 2, 1863; Tullahoma campaign, Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain, and Missionary Ridge. He was discharged from the service January 31, 1864, and re-enlisted the next day. He was wounded in the left knee by a spent ball at Stone River, Tennessee. He received his final discharge July 22, 1865, at Cleveland, Ohio.
Mr. Walters came to Minnesota in 1866 and took a homestead in Wright county, and has since made his home in this county. He established himself in the livery business in Annandale in 1891, and has continued to conduct the business here and has built up a good patronage.
Our subject was married in 1870 to Julia Whitlock, who was born in Mississippi in 1844. To Mr. and Mrs. Walters five children have been born namely: Lottie, James, Nettie, Blanch, and Gertrude. Mr. Walters is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and the Adventist church.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 817.
John R. Walters, postmaster of Stephen, Minnesota, is an efficient and faithful officer, and is popular with the people of Marshall county. He has resided there for many years and has a wide acquaintance, all of whom accord him a place of prominence as a citizen. He is a native of Vermont, and was born in Rutland county, June 9, 1860.
Mr. Walters was the third in a family of four children born to Rowland and Ursula (Jones) Walters. His parents were both natives of Wales and are now deceased. Our subject was born on a farm and reared there, but when a youth followed his father's occupation, that of a quarryman. He was employed in the slate and marble quarries until 1880, when he began the study of telegraphy at Janesville, Wisconsin. He was engaged in this business until 1885, and passed the last two years at Stephen, Minnesota. He then engaged in the machine business in partnership with Mr. MacMahan, under the firm name of MacMahan & Walters, and continued thus engaged until 1890. Under Harrison's administration he became postmaster at Stephen, and then was engaged four years in the general merchandise business in partnership with Mr. MacMahan. During the ensuing presidential administration he was again appointed postmaster at Stephen, which office he now holds. He is a man of intelligence and possessed of thorough business principles, and has succeeded with every enterprise in which he has embarked.
Mr. Walters was married, in 1885, to Miss Bertha MacMahan. One daughter has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Walters, who bears the name of Theresa. Mr. Walters is prominent in secret society circles and is an active member of the Knights of the Maccabees. In political faith he is a Republican and is an earnest worker for party principles. He is a recognized leader and is serving as secretary of the Republican club, and served as treasurer of the Republican county central committee in 1900.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 186-87.
The Warren Register, of Warren, Marshall county, Minnesota, was established in March, 1887, by Stevens and Dady.
Thomas F. Stevens, one of the partners, was the father of the present editor. The Register was a Republican journal, and began as a six-column folio sheet. It has been enlarged and many improvements made, and is now a six-column quarto. The office is thoroughly fitted for newspaper work, having a cylinder press, operated by gasoline engine. The circulation of the Register is about one thousand.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 228.
Nathan A. Warring, an old time resident of Big Stone county, Minnesota, resides in Browns Valley township, and is recognized as one of the substantial farmers of that region. He has passed through the experiences of pioneer life and has been an earnest and faithful citizen and well merits his high station.
Mr. Warring was born on a farm in Henry county, Illinois, in 1853. His father, William H. Warring, was of Yankee and German stock and was a farmer by occupation. His father served in the Civil war as a member of Company G, Third Minnesota Volunteers. He served three years. The family settled in Minnesota when our subject was seven years of age, and he was reared in Wabasha county. This was a rough, undeveloped country at that time and he assisted in the grubbing and breaking of the home farm. He grew to manhood there and then rented land and began farming for himself and was thus engaged until he came to Big Stone county in 1878, making the trip by team. There were no buildings to be seen in the county and but few along the lake. He settled on his present homestead farm in section 11, township 124, range 48, and built a claim shanty thereon. His lumber and supplies were hauled from Morris. He continued the improvement of his farm and has prospered, despite some losses by hail. He now owns three hundred and twenty acres of valuable land, two hundred and fifty acres of which is under cultivation, and the rest in pasture and meadow. He has built good farm buildings and has surrounded himself with the comforts of a rural home, and engages in general farming successfully.
Mr. Warring was married in Wabasha county in the winter of 1875 and Mrs. Warring died in Big Stone county in 1881. Of this union two children were born, namely; Bertha and Mark. Mr. Warring was married to Miss Kate Wiley in 1890. Mrs. Warring was born in Pennsylvania and her father, William Wiley, was a farmer in Wabasha county. Mr. and Mrs. Warring are the parents of two children, Jessie and Dea. Mr. Warring engaged in the threshing business for seventeen seasons, and through a steam boiler explosion he was severely injured and was confined to his bed for three weeks and did not fully recover from the effects for a year thereafter. He is one of the leading men of his township and takes an active interest in public affairs. He has held numerous township offices, and was chairman of the board of supervisors for several years and also assessor. He was a resident of Browns Valley township when the same was organized. He is a Republican politically and has attended numerous conventions of his party as a delegate.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 364-65.
Peter P. Weber, senior member of the firm of Weber Brothers Hardware Company, is a young man of exceptional business ability, and has placed himself among the foremost business men of Watkins. He is an old settler of Meeker county, and enjoys well earned success.
Mr. Weber was born in Stearns county, Minnesota, January 16, 1871. His parents, Henry and Gertrude (Strack) Weber, were both natives of Germany. Mr. Weber was born on a farm near St. Cloud, where he was reared and remained until he entered the Normal school in the last named city. He followed the profession of teaching for eleven years and worked on the farm during the summer months. In 1900 he came to Watkins, Meeker county, and erected a store building and established himself in the hardware business. In 1902 his brother, John Weber, became his partner in the business, and the same has since been conducted under the firm name of Weber Brothers Hardware Company. They carry a complete line of hardware and the stock is valued at $3,000.
Peter Weber was married in January, 1898, to Helen Lane. Mrs. Weber was born in Carver county, Minnesota, March 10, 1880. Of this union two children have been born, namely: Henry T. and Isadore.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 812-13.
John A. Weedall was born in Sweden in 1856. His father was a farmer and contractor. He died when over eighty years of age, as did also the mother of our subject.
John A. Weedall started for himself at carpentering and contracting at the age of seventeen years and in 1880 decided to try his fortunes in America. He landed at Quebec, and from there went to Willmar, Minnesota. He began contracting on a small scale there, but as the business justified increased his work, and as a result of his labors many of the public buildings stand as monuments to his handiwork. These include the Kandiyohi county court house, the Willmar public school building, the Presbyterian church and many others. He also filled contracts at Crookston, Mayville, North Dakota, where he built the State Normal, and at Pipestone and Marshall. He followed contracting about ten years and in the spring of 1895 established a drug business and conducted the same about one year. He opened a general merchandise store in Willmar in 1896, giving up the contract work owing to its drain upon his constitution.
Mr. Weedall was married in 1882 to Matilda Carlson. Mrs. Weedall was born in Sweden and came to America in 1882. To Mr. and Mrs. Weedall three children have born born, namely: George Alvin, Helen and Oscar, all of whom were born at Willmar. Mr. Weedall is a member of several of the secret societies of Willmar, and he has an extensive acquaintance and enjoys the esteem of all.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 731-32.
George O. Welch, M. D., superintendent of the State Hospital for the Insane, at Fergus Falls, is one of the foremost medical men and insanity specialists of the northwest.
Dr. Welch was born in Boston, Massachusetts, August 9, 1860. His father, Charles Welch, was a boot and shoe merchant in Boston, and our subject's grandfather, also born in Massachusetts, and the great-grandfather, took an active part in the war for independence. The Welch family is of Irish descent. The mother of Dr. Welch, whose maiden name was Angeline Hawes, was born in Massachusetts, and was a member of one of the oldest New England families descended from English stock.
Dr. Welch received his primary education in the schools of Boston, completed the grammar and high school courses and graduated from Chauncey Hall at Boston at the age of seventeen years. He was then in the employ of the Old Colony Railroad in the treasurer's office for five years. He resigned from that position to enter the Boston University, from which institution he graduated in 1887. He was then employed as assistant physician in the hospital at Westboro, Massachusetts, and held this position five years. In 1892 he went to Europe, visiting Berlin and Vienna, making a special study of insanity and nervous diseases, spending about one year in this research. In November, 1892, he received the appointment to the superintendency of the Fergus Falls State Hospital for the Insane, which position he is now holding.
Dr. Welch was married, in 1882, to Miss Phebe M. Lyon. Mrs. Welch is a native of Newport, Rhode Island, and her ancestors have been residents of Newport since the foundation of that city, the originals of the Lyon family in America having come from England with Roger Williams. Before her marriage Mrs. Welch was engaged in teaching in Massachusetts. One child has been born of this marriage. Dr. Welch is independent in politics, but has always shown commendable interest in affairs of a public nature. He is a member of the various medical fraternities and societies and is well known in Minnesota and North Dakota. The Fergus Falls State Hospital for the Insane was established in 1887 and received its first patients in 1890. Two years later Dr. Welch took charge of the institution, and its great success is attributable largely to his able management and capability. At the time he took charge of the hospital it consisted of only two buildings with 250 patients. Under his supervision the value of such an institution has been demonstrated, and it is now the largest and best regulated hospital in the northwest. Within its walls thirteen hundred patients are cared for, four assistant doctors are employed, with scores of attendants, mechanics, and laborers. It constitutes a city of itself. The great popularity of Dr. Welch has come from his great fidelity and strict adherence to duty.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), page 197.
Carl A. Westerlund, who carries on extensive farming operations in Wolverton township, has been closely connected with the development of the agricultural resources of Wilkin county for many years. He has built up a good home for himself, and has gained the highest respect of all who have the pleasure of his acquaintance. He is a gentleman of intelligence and strict integrity, and his success is the result of his persistent efforts and honest dealings.
Mr. Westerlund was born in Sweden, June 20, 1865. His father, Carl G. Westerlund, followed farming in Sweden and later resided in Norway. He came to America in 1891, and located in Wilkin county, Minnesota, where he now resides.
Our subject was the third of a family of four children. He went with his parents to Norway when he was but four years of age, and when he reached the age of nine years he began to work at herding cattle and followed this until 1888, when he came to America. He came from Philadelphia direct to Christine, Richland county, North Dakota and worked in that vicinity for three years. In 1891 he came to Wilkin county, Minnesota, and bought land and began farming for himself. He built a small shanty and a small log barn, and lived alone on his place for the first two years. He continued the work on his place, and has one of the well improved farms of this neighborhood. He owns one hundred and sixty acres of land, and cultivates most of this, and also operates another tract of one hundred and sixty acres, and follows diversified farming. He has built a good house and barn and all other necessary farm buildings and every feature of his farming is carefully looked after.
Mr. Westerlund was married in 1893 to Miss Carrin E. Hanson, who was born in Norway in 1866. Of this union four children have been born, namely: Caroletta O., Hildur A., Nonna J. L., and Elina C. All were born on the farm in Wilkin county. Mr. Westerlund is a man of broad mind and keeps pace with the times, and leads his influence for good government. In political faith he is a Republican.
From: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota (Chicago, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1904), pages 393-94.
There were 1800 visitors from 12 May 2006 to 4 Jul 2011. Visitor stats were lost 5 Nov 2005 to 12 May 2006 because of a broken counter. There were 1335 visitors to this page from 29 May 2001 until its move to this site on 5 Nov 2005.
Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN