LINCKLAEN was formed from German, April 12, 1823. A part of Pitcher was taken off in 1827, and another part in 1833. It derives its name from Col. John Lincklaen, the agent of the Holland Land Company, and the founder of Cazenovia. It lies in the north-west corner of the county, being bounded on the north by DeRuyter, on the south by Pitcher, on the east by Otselic and on the west by Cuyler, Cortland county. Its surface is a broken, hilly upland, divided into ridges by the narrow valleys of the streams running north and south, the principal of which is Mud creek, which flows through the west border. The declivities are generally steep and the summits from 400 to 600 feet above the valleys.
It is underlaid by the rocks of the Portage and Ithaca groups. On the farm of Riley Preston, about a half mile east of Burdick Settlement is a quarry of good underpinning stone, though it is deeply imbedded by the superincumbent masses. The soil is a shaly and clayey loam. Dairying is the chief industry of the people. There are four factories in the town, one at North Lincklaen, owned by Curtis King, which was built in Georgetown some fifteen years ago and moved to its present location in 1874, by Halsey Stillman, another at Burdick Settlement, owned by Burdett F. Davis, which was built in 1865 by Samuel Russell Stillman, a third at Catlin Settlement, and a fourth, known as Union factory, two and one-half miles north of Lincklaen, owned by Phineas Stillman, and built some twelve years ago by Allen Ellis.
The population of the town in 1875 was 853, being next to German the smallest in the county. Of these all but fifteen were natives, all but two white, 426 males and 427 females. Next to North Norwich it is the smallest town in the county. Its area was 16,282 acres, of which 11,873 were improved, 4,017 woodland, and 392 otherwise unimproved. The cash value of farms was $546,695; of farm buildings other than dwellings, $83,860; of stock, $101,283; of tools and implements, $25,978. The amount of gross sales of farms in 1874 was $69,497.
There are ten common school districts in the town. During the year ending Sept. 30, 1877, there were ten licensed teachers at one time during the twenty-eight weeks or more. The number of children of school age residing in the districts at that date was 229. During that year there were seven male and thirteen female teachers employed; the number of children residing in the districts who attended school was 193, of whom one was under five or over twenty-one years of age; the average daily attendance during the year was 104.418; the number of volumes in district libraries was 340, the value of which was $126; the number of school-houses was 10, all of which were frame, which with the sites, embracing 1 acre and 67 rods, value at $310, were valued at $2,500; the assessed value of taxable property in the districts was $295,078. The number of children between eight and fourteen years of age residing in the districts at that date was 79, of whom 67 attended district school fourteen weeks of that year, and 8 attended private schools or were instructed at home during a like period.
Receipts and disbursements for school purposes:---
|Amount apportioned to districts||$ 917.54|
|Raised by tax||278.73|
|From teachers' board||400.00|
|" other sources||35.00|
|Paid for teachers' wages||$1,487.16|
| " school houses, sites, fences, out-|
houses, repairs, furniture, &c.
|" other incidental expenses||93.74|
|Amount remaining on hand Oct. 1, 1877||24.25|
SETTLEMENTS.---The settlement of the town was commenced towards the close of the last century. The only families who had located in the town previous to 1799 were those of Deacon Elisha and Jesse Catlin, Abel Fairchild, ______ Backus and Aaron Peet.
Deacon Elisha and Jesse Catlin were brothers. They came from Clinton, N. Y., and were the first settlers at Lincklaen, which was and is still known as Catlin Settlement. Elisha located on the site of Samuel Lord's residence and resided there till his death, May 30, 1826, aged 67. Roxana, his wife, died Oct. 17, 1841, aged 81. Jesse lived in a little log house near Elisha's, but did not stay here long. He removed soon after to Tioga county, Penn. Elisha kept the first tavern in the town in the building which, having been remodeled, is now occupied as a residence by Samuel Lord, and he and Christopher Shipman, who settled in the south part of the town soon after 1800, built the first saw-mill in the town. It was located on the small stream a little north of his tavern. It did not stand long, but traces of it are still visible. Elisha Catlin had several sons and daughters, who mostly married and settled in the same locality. His son Orrin was a Presbyterian minister. All are dead, and not a Catlin remains in the settlement. Dewey, his eldest son, married Dolly Blount, daughter of Elisha Blount, who, together with his brother, Squire Walter Blount, settled two miles south-east of Lincklaen, where Chauncey R. Fuller now lives, but removed from the town at an early day. Walter lost his wife here previous to his removal, June 22, 1811.
Abel Fairchild came from Connecticut and settled a mile south of Lincklaen, where Herbert Harrington now lives, and died there March 30, 1840, aged 77, and Nancy, his wife, March 16, 1835, aged 72. His sons Charles, Sillick, and Philo were the first merchants at Lincklaen.
Backus occupied a little log-house which stood on the west side of the creek, near the barn of Thomas Holl. He removed soon after to Cazenovia.
Aaron Peet settled about a mile below Lincklaen, where Daniel Lane now lives, adjoining Abel Fairchild's farm. He soon after removed from the town.
Gurden Wells came from Stratford, Conn., in 1799, and settled about a half mile north of Catlin Settlement, where Julius Swan now lives. After four years he sold his implements to Joseph Pulford, also from Stratford, Conn., and removed a little north to the place where Asa Swan now lives, where he lived only one year. He then removed to the Farm now owned by Daniel Lane, about a mile south of Catlin Settlement, where he died Dec. 27, 1827, aged 70. His wife was Sarah Burritt, sister of Elihu Burritt, of Stratford, Conn. She died on the place now owned by Elder E. A. Poole, a mile north of Catlin Settlement, Oct. 31, 1831, aged 60. They had eight daughters and two sons---Edwin and Philander. The eldest daughter, Sally Maria, who was born in Stratford, Jan. 17, 1793, is still living on the place where she settled after her marriage---the place owned by Elder E. A. Poole, before referred to. Gurden Wells' third daughter and fourth child, Matilda, was born in Lincklaen, August 10, 1800, and was the first white child born in the town.
Joseph Pulford, to whom reference has been made, died on the place purchased by him of Gurden Wells, August 4, 1838, aged 78, and Phebe, his wife, March 26, 1846, aged 87. Samuel, Elihu, David and Delilah, who married for her second husband, Emerson Thayer, were children of his. Joseph Pulford built the first grist-mill in the town at the head of the Wilcox mill-pond. It stood there a good many years and after it was run down, about 1826, a second one was built by Samuel Pulford, son of Joseph. It is the one now owned by Wilcox Bros., & Co., at the forks of Mud creek. Samuel Pulford also built the first saw-mill on the site of the Wilcox saw-mill.
Nathaniel Gray came from Sherburne about 1802, and built a log-house where Isaac Fuller now lives. He remained here but a year or two and removed to Evans, Erie Co.
George Burdick came from Rhode Island in 1804, and made the first settlement at what is still known as Burdick Settlement. He located where Jonathan G. Carpenter now lives. He married in Rhode Island, Vashti Coon, who was born August 26, 1781, and died Oct. 31, 1871, aged 90. George died on the homestead Feb. 11, 1850, aged 71. They had numerous children.
Daniel Burdick, a distant relative of George Burdick, was a native of Rhode Island, and came in from Petersburgh, Rensselaer county, in September, 1805, and located at Burdick Settlement, where Charles Green now lives. He took up 150 acres on lot 12, which is now owned in part by his grandson, Benjamin S. Burdick, and Schuyler Olin, Charles Pierce, Charles Green and Norman G. Burdick. He built, in 1806, the first frame barn in Burdick Settlement. It is still standing, a little west of the residence of Benjamin S. Burdick, having been removed from the homestead farm. The frame is yet in a good state of preservation. Daniel Burdick was born in Hopkinton, R. I., Dec. 20, 1746, and died where he settled, Dec. 3, 1808. He married in Hopkinton, Temperance, daughter of William Hall, of Hopkinton, where seven of his children were born. In 1789 he removed to Petersburgh, Rensselaer county, where his two remaining children were born. His wife, after his death, went to live with her daughter Abigail, in the edge of DeRuyter, and died there June 1, 1846, aged 90. Their children were Sarah, Nancy, William, Temperance, who died in infancy, Benjamin H., Polly, Temperance, Daniel, Jr., and Abigail
Perry and Whedon Burdick, kinsmen of Daniel Burdick, came in from Rhode Island a few years later. Perry settled a mile north-east of Burdick Settlement, where John Tobin now lives; and Whedon, in the Settlement, on the farm now occupied by John Tobin, Jr. Both had families and both died in the town, Perry, on the old homestead, June 18, 1858, aged 82. Whedon was a man of excellent repute. Hannah, his wife, died May 9, 1865, aged 91. He had a numerous family, who mostly married and settled in this locality. Four of the children are now living: Weltha, widow of Matthew Wells, and Horace W., a jeweler in DeRuyter; Sophia, widow of Gardner Carpenter, now residing in Wisconsin; and Lebeus M., who was ordained a minister by the Seventh-Day Baptist church of Burdick Settlement.
Samuel Stillman also settled here in 1805, and Deway Maine, about that year. Samuel Stillman was born in Farmington, Conn., Feb. 5, 1747, and came here from Berlin, Rensselaer county, the same year, but a little earlier than Daniel Stillman. He settled a mile north of Burdick Settlement, on what was long known as Stillman street, where his great grandson, George R. Stillman, now lives, a portion of the farm being now owned by Cornelius Steele. He took up fifty acres, on which he died in October, 1834, also his wife, Lydia, who was born Oct. 21, 1749, and died April 18, 1828. They had eight sons and two daughters. Seven of the sons and one daughter settled on what was known as Stillman street, extending from Burdick Settlement north to the county line. The children were Davis, Jared, Samuel, Jr., Thomas, Elisha, Maxson, Joseph, William, Prudence, Hannah, many of whom had reached maturity when they came here. Very few of this once numerous family are left here. Benjamin Stillman, son of William, is living in Burdick Settlement.
Deway Maine was also from Connecticut. He purchased of George Burdick, who took lot 13, the south fifty acres, where Riley Preston now lives, and died there Jan. 31, 1847, aged 77. His wife, Lucinda Colegrove, also died on that place Dec. 26, 1865, aged 90. They had four sons and six daughters, of whom Prentice and Silas are living in the west, Susan in Allegany county, and Lucy on the homestead.
Eliphalet Johnson, from Rhode Island, settled soon after 1808, at Burdick Settlement, where Marshall B. Gillespie now lives, and lived and died there in the spring of 1833. He had several children, who mostly married and settled in this town. Some of them afterwards removed to Allegany county, where Asa, the only one now living, still resides.
Wolcott Bennett and Joseph Darling settled in the town at an early day, on adjoining farms, about two miles north of Catlin Settlement, Bennett, where his grandson, Alfred Bennett, now lives, and Darling on the farm next north of that, where his grandson, Charles Darling, now lives. Bennett and his son Wolcott, who succeeded him, on that farm, both died there, the former, Dec. 6, 1831, aged 75. Joanna, his wife, survived him twelve years, and died June 17, 1843, at the age of 88 years. Darling and his wife, Sarah, both died on the place where they settled, the former Nov. 9, 1824, aged 78, and the latter Jan. 9, 1846, aged 89. Joel, Elijah, who married Sophia, daughter of William Ryneck, and Levi, who married Mary, daughter of John Comstock, were sons of his. All are dead. Elijah died on the homestead in the spring of 1879, and his wife March 6, 1858, aged 55.
TOWN OFFICERS.---The first town meeting was held at the house of Abel Fairchild, March 2, 1824, and the following named officers were elected: Justice Parce, Supervisor; Cary L. Beebe, Clerk; John Lane, Ellery Potter and David Smith, Justices; Elliot Ufford, Collector; Caleb Burlingame and Edward Southworth, Overseers of the Poor; Luke Burdick, Nathan Brown and Zera Smith, Commissioners of Highways; Elliot Ufford and Philo Fairchild, Constables; Justice Parce, Eliphalet Johnson and Samuel Freeman, Commissioners of Common Schools; Perry Burdick, Parson G. Shipman and Charles T. Fairchild, Inspectors of Common Schools; Joseph Smith, Joel Darling and Alfred Brown, Fence Viewers; Levi Sanford, Sealer of Weights and Measures.
The following list of the officers of the town of Lincklaen for the year 1880-81 was kindly furnished by Emilas D. Coon:---
Supervisor---Townsend M. Gifford.
Town Clerk---Emilas D. Coon.
Justices---Lewis J. Burdick, William F. Davis, Charles H. Smith, Curtis Kenyon.
Assessors---Alpheus Hendee, Orin Pitts, Nathan Truman.
Commissioner of Highways---Allen Ellis.
Overseer of the Poor---Cornelius Steele.
Constables---Amos Justice, John Sherman, Joseph Hines, Benjamin Eaton.
Collector---Conrad F. Sutton.
Inspectors of Election---Philetus Burdick, Amos Justice.
Town Auditors---A. Orlando Poole, Alfred D. Bennett.
Game Constable---Wesley Hall.
Excise Commissioners---Charles G. Darling, Alpheus Hendee.
The following named persons have held the office of supervisor in Lincklaen: Justice Parce, 1824-5, 1829-'31, 1836-'7, 1839, 1841; Cary L. Beebe, 1826, '28, '38; Charles T. Fairchild, 1827; Samuel Plumb, 1832; David Smith, 1833; Ellery Potter, 1834-'35; Herrington Marshall, 1840, '42; Charles C. Thompson, 1843-'4; Ephraim P. Eldridge, 1845-'6; Daniel C. Ackley, 1847; Schuyler Olin, 1848; John A. Holmes, 1849, '51; Stephen Miller, 1850; Corydon C. Burdick, 1852-'3; Edwin Gifford, 1854, '66, '67; Samuel S. Lord, 1855; Townsend M. Gifford, 1856-'7, '60, '73-'4, '76; Samuel L. Beebe, 1858-'9; Samuel Phetteplace, 1861; Chauncey R. Fuller, 1862; Daniel W. Lane, 1863-'5; Ezra A. Poole, 1868-'70; Edward P. Brown, 1871-'72; A. Orlando Poole, 1875; James S. Lord, 1877-'9.
Catlin Settlement (Lincklaen p. o.) is situated on Mud creek, on the west border of the town, and contains two churches, (Congregational and Methodist Episcopal,) two stores, one hotel, a saw-mill, owned by George Coy, two blacksmith shops, kept by F. F. Poole and Sylvester Couch, a wagon shop, kept by John Wentworth, a shoe shop, kept by George Coy, and a population of 75.
MERCHANTS.---The first merchants at Catlin Settlement, the first also in the town, were Charles, Sillick and Philo Fairchild, brothers, who commenced trading about 1821, but continued only a few years. Their store stood a little south-east of the village, below the forks of the road. The building was afterwards removed to near the site of Thomas Holl's residence. Lincoln N. Tibbals traded in it a short time from about 1831. It was burned soon after Tibbals vacated it.
Orrin C. Baldwin opened a small grocery about 1850, and after a few years he opened a shoe store, doing quite a business. David Matthewson succeeded him in the grocery business, and after a few years was joined by his brother, Amos W.
The present merchants are Edward N. Andrews, and Edgar A. Coon, the former of whom commenced business in January, 1874, and the latter in 1877. Mr. Coon also keeps the hotel, which property he bought of Thomas Jones about 1868 or '9. His store is kept in a portion of that building.
The post-office at Catlin Settlement was established at an early day. Abel Fairchild was probably the first post-master. The present post-master, Horace Poole, was appointed in 1861.
CHURCHES.---This town was an early field of religious culture. The first religious services were held in 1798, by Rev. Seth Williston, while yet it formed a part of the town of DeRuyter and the settlements exceedingly sparse. The first religious society was of the Presbyterian order, though the date of its organization is not known. It was originally denominated the "German Second Church,"1 and hence its organization was subsequent to 1806 and previous to 1823. Its corporate existence dates from May 18, 1819, when "a certain number of the inhabitants of the town of German met at the meeting-house in German for the purpose of forming a religious society." Samuel Pulford and Eli D. Catlin, "two of the society," were chosen to preside, and Orlando Jones, John I. Dorn and Joel Darling were elected trustees of the Union Presbyterian Society in the town of German. "The Church," says Hotchkin, "seems never to have been in a flourishing state. It has at times enjoyed the labors of a stated supply for a share of the time, with the aid of the American Home Missionary Society, but for the most part of the time it has been reported as vacant." It disbanded some forty years ago.
The first Congregational Church of Lincklaen, at Catlin Settlement, was organized July 21, 1859, by a council of which Rev. E. W. Allen was moderator and Rev. H. W. Lee, scribe. The constituent members were Alonzo Catlin, Orville Ketchum, Philo Sanford, Zebulon C. Randall, Lucian Warner, Horace Poole, Margaret Fitzgerald, Lydia A. Warner, Eliza Smith, Clarissa Catlin, Olive Pulford, Eliza Ketchum, Sarah A. Ketchum, Frances D. Ketchum, Sophia C. Ketchum, Polly Randall, Sarah Angell and Eliza Poole, who assented to articles of faith and covenant and were pronounced an independent Congregational church.
The first pastor was Rev. Orville Ketchum, who had labored here previous to the organization, which he was instrumental in effecting. He continued his labors a little more than three years.
Horace Poole was chosen deacon Feb. 4, 1860, and still holds that office. He was chosen church clerk Dec. 31, 1859, and has held that office continuously to the present time. He has also been clerk of the society since its organization. The Sunday school was organized May 12, 1861.
Rev. E. N. Ruddock became the pastor in November, 1862, and served them about a year. After he left, the church was without a pastor till June, 1876, when W. Henry Watkins assumed that relation. The pulpit was supplied in the interval by various individuals. Mr. Watkins remained two years, and the pastorate has since been vacant. The pulpit is supplied once in two weeks by Rev. Joshua Clark, a Seventh-Day Baptist, of DeRuyter.
The present number of members is twenty-four. Their house of worship is the one formerly owned by the Presbyterian Society.
We have been unable to obtain any information regarding the Methodist church at this place other than that furnished by the record of incorporation. The First Society of the M. E. Church in West Lincklaen was organized April 27, 1841, at a meeting "of the male persons of full age belonging to the M. E. church in the town of Lincklaen, at their usual place of meeting for religious worship," at which Daniel Fancher and Alina Johnson presided; Alina Johnson, Leander Haskins, Russel Breed, Dudley Graves, "Harry Hays," Joseph Justus and William Jones were elected trustees.
Burdick Settlement (Lincklaen Center p. o.) is situated in the north part of the town, four miles from DeRuyter and three from Catlin Settlement, and contains a Seventh-Day Baptist church, a district school, a store, a saw-mill, owned by William F. Davis, a creamery, a blacksmith shop, kept by William F. Davis, and a population of 15 families and 45 inhabitants. The place derives its name from the Burdicks, who were a numerous, intelligent and highly reputable family, though but few are left here. Numerous of their descendants are living in other parts of this town and in DeRuyter.
Arthur M. Preston commenced mercantile business here in May, 1878. He is a native of the place and the first and only person who has engaged in mercantile business here. Mr. Preston is also the postmaster here. The office was established Nov. 19, 1877, and DeWitt Craft was then appointed postmaster. He was succeeded in the office by Mr. Preston Feb. 20, 1879.
CHURCHES.---The Lincklaen Seventh Day Baptist Church was organized November 15, 1831, by a council held in the school-house in Burdick Settlement. Elder Joel Green was chosen moderator and Elder Alexander Campbell, clerk of the council. The constituent members were Deacon Jared Stillman, George Burdick, Lebeus M. Burdick, Samuel Stillman, Joshua Saunders, Robert Stillman, Elisha Stillman, Perry Burdick, Thomas Stillman, William Crandall, Benjamin H. Burdick, Alonzo H. Burdick, Schuyler D. Crandall, Elizabeth Burdick, Lucy Burdick, Almeda Burdick, Abigail, wife of Jared Stillman, Charlotte Nichols, Betsey Nichols, Diana M. Nichols, Hannah Burdick, Olive Saunders, Julina M. Burdick, Avery Coon, Cornelia Burdick, Emily A. Maine, Polly Ann Maine, Benjamin S. Burdick, Salina Stillman and Eliza Estes, only one of whom, Benjamin S. Burdick, is now living here. He is still a member, aged 68 years.
Previous to the organization and as soon as the first settlements were made here, (most of those who settled here being of this order,) meetings were held in private houses, and after the erection of the log school-house nearly opposite the residence of Millard Davis, soon after the settlement was begun, they were transferred to it, and were continued there till it was burned, and subsequently in the frame structure which replaced it, until 1836, in which year their house of worship, the one now in use, was built at a cost of about $500.
The first pastor was Lebeus M. Burdick, who commenced his labors July 20, 1832. Joel Green had previously supplied the pulpit occasionally from the organization of the church. Mr. Burdick was ordained at DeRuyter in September, 1834. July 15, 1838, Giles M. Langworthy was called to the pastorate. March 10, 1839, it was resolved that Thomas E. Babcock "be our preacher." He was ordained here in July 1843. As early as March 15, 1840, Lebeus M. Burdick again became the pastor. July 10, 1842, the church was without a pastor, and on the 17th of that month it was resolved that freedom be extended to the licentiates of this church, and to Elder S. W. Burdick to fill the desk. Jan. 22, 1843, it was resolved to call L. M. Burdick and T. E. Babcock to preach, each one-half time. Elder V. Hull held a series of meetings in the early part of 1844. May 11, 1845, Elder Joshua Clark was requested to preach one year, half the time. He served them about two years. March 15, 1846, Elder L. M. Burdick was granted a letter. He seems to have served them more or less, though not continuously, up to this time. May 9, 1847, Hiram W. Babcock was licensed to preach. Elder Alexander Campbell preached here in the fall of 1847 and the winter of 1847-48. Elder James R. Irish, who was a teacher in the Seminary at DeRuyter, officiated from May 13, 1849, to November 11, 1849. Russell G. Burdick became the pastor in 1850. He was granted a letter Nov. 12, 1854, and went west the following spring. He was succeeded by A. R. Cornwell, who was followed in the spring of 1856 by Ezra A. Poole, who labored with them three years. L. M. Cottrell next served them one year from April 1, 1859. He was succeeded by Thomas Fisher, whose resignation was accepted Jan. 10, 1864, but he was soon re-engaged, and served them as late as July 1, 1865, from which time to Sept. 1, 1866, the church seems to have been without a pastor. The latter date a call was given Elder Amos W. Coon, who received a letter in January, 1871. March 12, 1871, a call was given Joshua Clark and his wife Esther to become jointly the pastor of this church for $100 for the year commencing March 1, 1871. They declined the pastorate, as they then sustained that relation toward the church in DeRuyter, but consented to preach and did so till January, 1879, since which time the pulpit has been supplied by the Association once in two weeks.
The present number of members is about 56 resident and 24 non-resident.
Benjamin S. Burdick, now residing in Burdick Settlement, served the church twenty-four years as clerk.
The Adventists, who are quite numerous in this locality, hold meetings in the church belonging to this society. They have no organization, but are supplied with preachers by the Association.
The Second Society of the M. E. Church in the Town of Lincklaen was organized (legally) June 7, 1841, and about that time built a church in what is known as the Rhode Island Settlement, in the east part of the town. The first trustees of this society were Job G. Davis, Henry F. Holliday, William Messenger, Joseph Sherman and Jefferson Wilber. This church stood opposite the residence of Amaziah Coats and was taken down a few years since with the intention of removing it to North Lincklaen, where a majority of the members resided, but owing to a division among its members it was not rebuilt. The church was supplied by circuit preachers while the building stood, but never had a settled pastor. It was once a large and flourishing society.
The North Lincklaen Free-Will Baptist Church was organized sometime before the split which resulted in the organization of the South Otselic Baptist Church, in 1844. The church was divided on the question of selecting a site for a meeting-house; the majority desiring to have it built in the Rhode Island Settlement, and the minority, the principal among whom was Luther Bowen, at South Otselic. The out-growth of the controversy was the building of a church at both places, and the formation of a separate church at the latter place. The church here was built, says one authority, in the fall of 1840, and another, about a year after the church at South Otselic was built, in 1845. The latter date, we incline to think, is more nearly correct, for the society was not incorporated until Nov. 27, 1844, nor that at South Otselic until Oct. 22, 1844. The first trustees of this society, The Lincklaen Baptist Church and Society, were Harrington Marshal, Gideon Preston and William O. Gardner.
January 24, 1869, the church voted to practice open communion, and at that time the present organization was effected and the above name adopted. The first pastor after the change of 1869 was Rev. Jason Allen, who entered upon his labors soon after the change, and continued them one year. He was succeeded by Rev. John W. Barr, who stayed two years; Ira Day, from Willett, one year; Charles Steere, one year; Jason Allen, two years; Westley Cooper, in 1878; and John W. Barr, the present pastor, in 1879. The present membership is 29.
MANUFACTURES.---At the forks of Mud creek, three-fourths of a mile north of Lincklaen, are the works of Wilcox Brothers & Co., consisting of a grist, saw and carding-mill, blacksmith and wagon shop. The property has been in the hands of the Wilcox family twenty-two years. The present saw-mill was built in 1875, by W. D. Wilcox. The blacksmith and wagon shop is the property of William A. Wilcox, by whom it was built in 1874. The grist-mill contains two runs of stones; the saw-mill one circular saw, and the carding-mill one set of Machinery. They are operated by water from Mud creek, which has a fall of twelve feet.
WAR OF THE REBELLION.---At the annual town meeting of Feb. 16, 1864, the "proper authorities" were instructed to issue the bonds of the town, and borrow money thereon with which to pay a bounty of $310 to each volunteer, credited on the quota of the town under the call for 500,000 men. At a special meeting held April 1st of that year, they were authorized to borrow money for the purpose of paying to each volunteer credited on the quota of the town under the call for 200,000 men, a sum not to exceed $400. At a special meeting held August 11, 1864, it was resolved to pay $625 to each volunteer applied on the town's quota under the call for 500,000 men, for one year. It was also resolved to pay $325 to each person who furnished an acceptable substitute to apply on that quota; and further that the money be raised in four equal annual installments. F. F. Eldridge, D. W. Lane and S. L. Beebe were appointed a committee to procure the volunteers.
At a special meeting held August 29, 1864, it was resolved to pay to each volunteer thereafter applied on the quota under the call of July 18, 1864, not to exceed $1,500 for three years, $1,300 for two years, and $1,000 for one year, also to pay to each person who had hitherto or should thereafter furnish a substitute credited on the quota of the town under that call, $1,000 for three years, $750 for two years, and $500 for one year. Daniel W. Lane, Samuel L. Beebe and Frederick F. Eldredge were appointed a committee to procure volunteers. The town auditors were directed to issue bond for the money procured pursuant to these resolutions, in such sums and payable at such time, not to exceed six years from Fr. 1, 1865, as their judgment should dictate. These resolutions were afterwards so amended as to provide for the payment of $1,200 for three years, $1,000 for two years, and $700 for one year; and to all substitutes, except those furnished previous to this meeting, $100 less.
At a special meeting held Dec. 23, 1864, it was resolved to pay to each volunteer applied on the quota under the call for 300,000 men, for three years, $800, and to each person furnishing an acceptable substitute so credited, $600; also to issue bonds for this purpose payable Oct. 2, 1865. Edwin Gifford, Townsend M. Gifford and Samuel L. Beebe were appointed a committee to solicit volunteers and substitutes.
The number of men furnished by Lincklaen during the war was 83 for the army and 11 for the navy; of whom 22 were natives of this town, and 6 were substitutes. In addition to these, seven of her own citizens enlisted and were credited to other towns. Of the former number-94-1 enlisted for four years, 65 for three years, 2 for two years, and 17 for one year. They were distributed among the various branches of the service as follows: 1 each in the 12th, 15th, 54th, 176th and 185th, 2 each in the 44th and 61st, 6 in the 76th, 11 in the 114th, and 7 in the 157th infantry regiments; 1 each in the 3d, 10th and 15th, and 12 in the 20th cavalry regiments; 3 in the 2d artillery regiment; and 1 in the 1st engineers.
|2||received||a county||bounty||of||$ 50.00|
There were 2340 visitors to our previous site from 25 Jun 2006 to 18 Aug 2011.