ADDISON DUDLEY ADAMS, deceased, was one of the enterprising citizens and proprietor of one of the leading dry goods and drug stores in the village of Greene, and was born in Durham, Greene County, N. Y., being a son of Platt and Clarrissa (Dudley) Adams.
The Adams family is of Scotch descent, and is known to have come to this country in the latter part of the Eighteenth Century, about 1775. Piatt Adams, the father of our subject, was admitted to the bar, but disliking the profession he turned his attentions toward mercantile pursuits. Later he became a banker, and when the 1812 War broke out he formed a small company in his native village, and was commissioned a colonel. In 1839 he moved to New York City, where he engaged in the publishing of bank books and supplies. Later he became a broker on Wall Street, in which he was very successful. He chose for his companion Miss Clarrissa Dudley of Lisle, N. Y., and they reared the following children: Addison Dudley, the subject of this personal history; Grosvenor; Frances; and Emily C. Grosvenor Adams was united in marriage with Nancy Cone, a native of Connecticut, and they were the parents of four children, namely: Barclay; Grosvenor; Sarah; and Annie. Frances Adams was united in marriage with Ebenezer Jennings, and one child blessed their home, Emily. Emily C. Adams was the wife of Dudley Kavanagh of New York City. Mr. Adams was a devoted member of the Presbyterian Church. He passed from this life May 14, 1887.
Addison Dudley A dams received his elementary education in the public schools of his native town, and after attaining a fair education he left school and moved to the village of Oxford, this county, and engaged in mercantile business. In 1839 he moved to the village of Greene, where he conducted a dry goods store. As the business increased he added a complete line of drugs, and through his popularity and the manner in which he treats his customers, he soon built up an an enviable trade.
Addison Dudley Adams formed a matrimonial alliance with Mary Perry, daughter of John and Mary (Welch) Perry of Oxford, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Perry are both natives of New London, Conn., and they reared a family of six children, who were as follows: Platt, who married Claire Varlet of Paris, France; John P. married Calista Weaver of Syracuse, N. Y., and they are the parents of two children, Edwin P. and Mabel; William A., deceased, was married to Mary Rule, and they had three children, Platt, William A., and Benjamin W.; Reuben A., deceased; Augustus Willard; and Emily, the wife of Romeo M. Wilbur of New York City, now a resident of Chicago, Ill. Mr. Adams was a Democrat in politics, and always voted with his party when opportunities presented themselves. He held the position of supervisor for several terms. Socially, he was a member of the Eastern Star Lodge, No. 126, F. & A. M. Religiously, Mr. and Mrs. Adams were both popular and devoted members of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Adams crossed the river and rejoined those beyond in 1878 His death was mourned by many friends and the best citizens of Greene, for he had firmly established himself in their regard as a man of strict integrity, and disposed to many kind actions. Mrs. Adams is still residing in the village of Greene, and has excellent reason to be proud of her family, to whom she has been one of the kindest and most faithful mothers. By the loveliness of her life and her strict devotion to duty, she has won the esteem and confidence of all who know her.
Source: page 421-22
Transcribed by Tim Stowell, 26 Jan 2016
THE AMERICAN SEPARATOR COMPANY of Bainbridge township in a few years that have marked its growth since its inception, September 4, 1894, has made such a reputation for itself by reason of the excellence of its products, that i6t is entitled to the rank with the first enterprises of Chenango County. Certainly, it has done much to familiarize the public at large with the name of Bainbridge, for the company has had its American Cream Separator in a number of exhibitions with great credit, winning first place, among many competitors, at the St. Louis Industrial Exposition of 1897, and carrying off first honors also at the Toronto Expositions of 1896 and 1897. Many old and heretofore considered standard separators, were in competition, but the Bainbridge machine proved itself far superior, and demonstrated its points of excellence to an appreciative public, quick to perceive and to reward real merit. It is the consensus of opinions among the creamery operators, who have seen the American Cream Separator in operation, that it is destined to become the leading article of its kind in the market. The simplicity of its mechanism and the satisfactory way in which it accomplishes the work designed for it are elements that must commend the product of the American Separator Co. to universal favor. Orders are now coming in faster than they can be filled, and success is in every way assured. The fondest expectations of the projectors have already been fully realized. The American Separator Co. was organized June 1, 1895, and was capitalized at $50,000.00 of which $20,000.00 was preferred stock. The officers chosen were: Charles C. Hovey, president: William C. Gibson, since deceased, vice president: Own L. Crumb, secretary and treasurer; Ernest L. Hartman, superintendent of manufacturing; Thomas Collins, superintendent of sales and agencies; Edson C. Burdick, acting secretary and superintendent of corresponding department; Prof. Fred W. Crumb, director; and Wadsworth B. Matterson, attorney.
It must be a matter of some interest to the citizens of Bainbridge township and the county at large to read of the success of this company, which interest no doubt extends to a desire to read the history of the men who brought the company into being, and who have since directed its course. On other pages of this work will be found narratives of Charles C. Hovey, O.L. Crumb, Prof. Fred W. Crumb, and Wadsworth B. Matterson. We shall, therefore confine ourselves to relating the salient points of the lives of Ernest L. Hartman, Thomas Collins and Edson C. Burdick.
Ernest L. Hartman, the superintendent of manufacturing was born in Werdau, Germany, in 1848 and was a son of Andreas and Henrietta (Buchert) Hartman, both natives of that province. Andreas Hartman was a machinist by trade; he came to the United States in 1871, and located at Greenfield, Mass, where he died. Our subject is one of a family of sixteen children, of whom nine are still living,-six boys and three girls. Ernest l. Hartman learned the machinist's trade in his father's shop in Germany, and came to America in 1867 and has ever since followed his trade. Hew readily found employment in some of the best machine shops in America, among which were Wiley & Russell, Holyoke Machine Shop, James Smith & Co. and the Pratt & Whitney Co. About the time he came to this country. the first cream separators were coming into the United States from Sweden. Finding a great increase in their business, and also wishing, to avoid the heavy duty on machinery, the Swedish concerns arranged to start a branch company in America. They hired their machines made on contract in the shops, where Mr. Hartman was foreman; for about nine years he continued to superintend the construction of these separators, directly and indirectly. It was, therefore, no small item in the success of the American Separator Co, of Bainbridge that Mr. Harman was one of the inventors of the American Cream Separator, and among the organizers of the American Separator Co. Form the firs he acted as superintendent of manufacturing department, and has personally overseen the construction of each separator turned out of the shop. In February. 1870, Mr. Hartman was united in marriage with Margaret Teuth, and to them were born the following children: Anna; William; Walter; Louisa and Edith.
Thomas Collins, the superintendent of agencies, who shares with Ernest L. Harman the honor of inventing the American Cream Separator, is a practical machinist and able business man and has abundance of experience in constructing separators. He was born in London, England, February 22, 1866 and is a son of Thomas and Isabelle (Lansdale) Collins, both natives of that city. The father of our subject was ship-builder, with his yard on the Thames River. Thomas Collins was educated in the public schools of England, and in the Polytechnic School of Stockholm, especial attention being given to a full and complete study of mechanics. Upon completing his trade education, he entered the employ of the Aktiebolaget Separator Co. of Stockholm, Sweden, which company is well known in creamery and dairy circles over the United States as the DeLaval Separator Co. In their interest he came to America, in 1887 and represents the company in Philadelphia until 1889, when he engaged for himself the creamery business in Winchester, N.H. From 1891 until 1894 he busied himself in perfecting a machine, known as a butter accumulator. In 1894, with Ernest L. Hartman, Mr. Collins invented and patented the American Cream Separator, and accomplished in the same year the organization of the American Separator Co. He is a shrewd, enterprising young man, and all who know him predict a bright future. Mr. Collins married Elizabeth Brennan, daughter of Patrick Brennan, a native of Dublin, Ireland, January 21, 1892, and to bless their home have come three children: Isabella M; Thomas; and Edwin I. He is a member of the Episcopal Church.
Edson C. Burdick, the superintendent of the corresponding department and acting secretary is a son of Luke C. and Martha L (York) Burdick and was born May 3, 1867 in the township of Lincklaen, Chenango County. The father of our subject was also a native of Lincklaen where he farmed all his live. He was a son of Phineas Burdick, who was born in the State of Connecticut and came to Lincklaen at an early day, when the county was a wilderness of forest. Luke Burdick reared a family of one son and two daughters as follows; Letta, who died at the age of four years; Edson C., our subject and Cora, the wife of Frank L. Coon, who lives on the old Burdick homestead. The subject of this brief sketch completed his education at the De Ruyter Union School, graduating in 1891, and then went into the mercantile business with his cousin at De Ruyter, under the firm name of Cardner & Burdick. After a year and a half in the grocery business, Mr. Burdick sold out, and taught school for two years in the Woodstock Graded Union School. He removed to Bainbridge in 1893, and became connected with the Swedish Cream and Butter Separator Co, as bookkeeper. In 1895, Mr. Burdick took a position with the American Separator Co, of which he became one of the organizers and stockholders. He is now acting secretary of the company. In politics he is a Republican. On June 6, 1894, he married Cora L. Stillman, a daughter of Jesse Stillman who now resides in De Ruyter, Madison county, NY.
Source: page 367
Transcribed by Ann H. Hopkins, February 20, 2006
DELOS L. ATKYNS, one of Chenango County's highly esteemed citizens, and one of her most distinguished attorneys, was born in the town of Pharsalia, this county, September 30, 1840, and is a son of William S. and Eunice(Babcock) Atkyns and grandson of Asahel Atkyns. Joseph Atkyns, was the father of Ashel, and who served in the Revolutionary War, came from Farmington, Conn., his native state to Chenango County about 1810, and settled in the town of Smyrna, where he purchased a large tract of land, and engaged in farming. His farm was covered with a dense forest, and with the aid of his three sons, Joel, Joseph and Ashael, the farm was cleared and is today one of the thrifty farms of that town. Ashael Atkyns became a practical farmer, although the earlier part of his life was spent in teaching school; he aided materially in the securing of the erection of the first Presbyterian Church in Plymouth village, of which he became a deacon. He was twice married; his first wife bore him five children: Charles D.; Fordyce; Selma; William S.; and Aaron G. As a result of his second marriage, four children were reared, who were as follows-Mary; Sarah; Eliza, and Alvira.
William S. Atkyns, the father of our subject, was born in Farmington, Conn., December 8, 1805. He was but a small boy when his father moved to Chenango County, and was reared to follow the pursuits of an agriculturist; attaining his majority he purchased a farm in Pharsalia(now owned by Mr. Fairbanks), joining the one owned by his father, and farmed his property judiciously and well, and by the exercise of economy saved his hard earnings, and later purchased the farm then owned by his father. He was one of the energetic and progressive farmers of his day and was an honor to his chosen vocation. He was a man who took pride in the maxim that "His word is as good as his bond." He married Miss Eunice Babcock, a daughter of Lodowick Babcock. She was born in Stonington, Conn. In April 1811, and died in 1889. Mr. Atkyns died in 1883 at the age of seventy-eight years. Their family consisted of the following children, only two of whom are living: George H., deceased, was a soldier for three years in the late Rebellion and was a corporal: Pluma, who died in 1890 was the wife of H. T. Robbins; Delos L., the subject of this personal history; and James Carlos, who resides in Pharsalia and is esteemed and prosperous farmer.
Delos L. Atkyns assisted his parents on the farm, and only had the advantages of a district school education and district schools in those days ere not the most perfect situations. There was nothing then in his character to indicate the brilliant career upon which he was about to enter. He was a plain farmer's boy, good looking , intelligent and kind-hearted. Inspired with a lofty ambition, and conscious of his own powers, he pursued his studies with indefatigable industry. He entered the law offices of Rexford & Kingsley at Norwich, and after a short term of study, was admitted to the bar as an attorney and counselor of the Supreme Court in 1864. IN October of the same year he moved to Sherburne, where he began the practice of his profession. His elevation of character, his untiring industry, his legal acquirements, and his skill as an advocate gradually attracted attention, and eventually secured him a large clientage. His office is well furnished, and has a well selected viable library of over 3000 volumes, the first half dozen of which were paid for by chopping wood at thirty cents per cord. Mr. Atkyns has had many students study under him and follow his instruction, some of whom are today noted lawyers in various cities. Some of them are as follows: Robert A. Kurschbach of New York City; M. Van Buren of Denver, Col.; Delos D. Jaynes of Detroit, Mich.; George P. Pudney of Smyrna, N.Y.; the late Ernest C. Dart of Earlville, N.Y.; and Bartholomew A. Stack, now a Catholic Priest of Camillus, N.Y. Our subject has assisted in the prosecution of many murder cases in the county, and with the exception of one acquittal, there has always been a conviction in the first or second degree. He has also assisted in capital cases in other counties, and today has one of the largest practices of any attorney in Chenango County. In 1876, Mr. Atkyns was united in marriage with Mrs. Mary C. Sholes of La Salle, Illinois and two children have blessed their home, namely: Duane L., born September 25, 1877 who is a student in his father's office; and Paul W. born August 16, 1880, a student in Sherburne Academy.
Although he has never taken a very active part in politics, Mr. Atkyns has always voted with the Republican party. He has several times refused to accept the nomination for district attorney of his county, because of the arduous duties of that office and the small compensation paid therfor. For the past twenty years he has been a member and secretary of the board of education of Sherburne Academy, and since 1895 has been president of the above board.
Source: page 559
Transcribed by Ann Hopkins, 9 Nov 2005
George Aylsworth, liveryman and dealer in horses and agricultural implements, is one of the thoroughly wide-awake, hustling men who have been closely identified with the success and growth of Bainbridge. He is a son of Dexter and Nancy (Taylor) Aylsworth, and was born September 10, 1841 in Newark, Tioga County, NY. His grandfather, Andrew J. Aylsworth was a native of Long Island ans settled in Chenango County, in the town of Bainbridge,purchasing 300 acres of land, where he afterwards lived. He was a farmer and did much to improve this farm, clearing it and otherwise adding to its value. His wife was Lydia Hicks, and to them were born the following children: Thomas; Dexter; Lewis; Robert; Chadiar; Purdence; Clara; and Hannah.
Dexter, the father of our subject, was born in Long Island, but came to this country with his parents, and settled down in the town of Bainbridge, where he built and operated for a number of years a saw mill and a carding factory, that was located two miles north of Afton. He then moved to Tioga County, where he purchased a large farm of 300 acres which is one of the finest farms in that section of the country, and there he resided for ten years, when he returned to the old homestead in order to care for his mother and sister. He lived there until 1868 or 1869, when he moved to the town of Pike, Wyoming, where he died. He was a Republican in his political views. He was a strong methodist, having united with that church when he was only twelve years old. He was a man of strict integrity, honest and probity, whose deeds would stand the searchlight of truth. He was much honored by the neighbors aand was without an enemy. He was united in marriage with Miss Nancy Taylor, by whom he had a family of four children, namely: Mary, Marilia, Armina and Geoge, the subject of this biography. Dexter Aylsworth was afterward married to Miss Lydia Pearsall, who bore him one child, Alvira, now deceased. After the death of Mrs. Aylsworth he once more took to himself a wife, this time being united to Miss Lydia Hoag. They had one child, Olivia.
George Aylsworth, our subject, was married to Miss Ruiette Fosbury, December 26, 1860. She is a daughter of R. C. Fosbury of Bainbridge, this county. This marriage has been blessed with the following children; Juvenilia, who died in finfancy; Georgianna, who died at the age of four years; Mary, now residing in Bainbridge, the wife of Dorcas Payne, a barber; William S. who is engaged in business with his father and makes his home with him; and George Franklin, also in business with his father and married to Lizzie Masters. Mr. Aylsworth received his education in the district schools and began life on his own account as a farmer, on the old homestead in Afton. Here he followed in the footsetps of his fathers, tilling the soil for about 5 years, when he removed to Bainbridge and engaged in the livery business, which he followed in that village every since. In connection with his livery he has always been engaged in buying and shipping horses, doing a large business. Especially the last four years he has done an immense business, as he bought horses in the Western States and shipped them ito easter markets, until this has become a leading feature of his b8usiness. He also carries a general line of agricultural implements, which he added to his other business about 4 years ago.
When the black cloud of the recent Rebellion was hanging over our land, threatening to overthrow our government and destroy our institutions, Mr. Aylsworth was amont the first to answere the call of his country. Leaving at home his newly wedded bride, he enlisted on August 8, 1862, in Co. H.; 114th Reg. NY. Vol. Inf. and marched to the seat of twar, where he served until the fraticidal conflict came to and end. The last 2 yrears of his service were spent as receiving cleerk in the commissary's office.
After leaving the army he returned to this family and the more quiet pursuits of private life, but not for lo;ng was he left to the enjoyment of this quiet. he had always been a Rpublican, and his many firends were not slow to appreciate his executive ability, and soon called upon him to serve them in the capacity of constable. That his manner of discharging the duties of that office was in every way satisfactory to his constituents is clearly proved by their continuing him in the same capacity for a term of twenty six years. He has also served as deputy sheriff for one term, and has ever been active in the affairs of his party, frequently representing it in county conventions as a delegate. he is a member of Susquehanna Lodge, No. 167, F. & A. M., and also belongs to the Improved Order of the Red Men. While full of push and energy, yet Mr. Aylworth always has time to devote to his many firends, and this courteous, affable bearing has no dobut had much to do with the success he has met with, both in business and social life. We are pleased to present his portrait on a preceding page.
Source: p. 401
The previous hosting company lost all visitor stats since Aug 2011.
There were 2560 visitors to our previous host from 12 Apr 2005 to 22 Aug 2011.
© Tim Stowell 2005-2016
Email: Tim Stowell