ADELBERT D. PAYNE, the accommodating and courteous postmaster of Bainbridge, was born in the village of Bainbridge, November 19, 1855, and is a son of Dennis W. and Elizabeth (Avery) Payne and a grandson of William Payne.
William Payne was a shoemaker by trade, living in the State of Rhode Island where he was born, until he came to Chenango County, NY, where he followed his trade until his death, which occurred in the town of Guilford. Dennis W. Payne, our subject's father is one of the best known carpenters of Bainbridge, having been a resident of the town for about forty-four years. Many of the building in this locality bear witness to his industry and efficiency. He was married to Elizabeth Avery and four children were born to them: Franklin G lives in Bainbridge also; Cora E. is the wife of John R. Wilcox of Milford of Otsego County. The father of our subject's mother, Leonard Avery, was born in Connecticut in 1803. Mr. Avery came to the town of Bainbridge, where he owned and operated a large saw-mill. He was a Democrat and voted for Jackson, was one of the best posted men of his community, a great reader, and one who retained in great part what he read. He entered his last sleep in the village of Bainbridge, and was there laid to rest.
Adelbert D. Payne attended the common schools of Bainbridge, and then entered the employ of the Gilbert Manufacturing Co., with which concern he worked for ten years, a faithful and trusted employee. He then accepted a position with the Delaware and Hudson R.R. at Bainbridge, as baggage master, which he continued to fill until 1894, when he was appointed postmaster at that place and took charge. His record as postmaster is among the best since the office was first created; he has proven himself an able and efficient public servant, a fact that is realized by the patrons of the office. Mr. Payne was united in marriage with Miss Cora May Bundy, February 26, 1884. He is a member of Susquehanna Lodge No. 167, F.& A.M. and is also connected with the Episcopal Church, being one of the vestrymen. He is one of the trustees of the village.
Source: p. 84
Transcribed by Ann Hopkins, January 2, 2006
ALBERT J. PAYNE, editor and proprietor of the South New Berlin Bee is successfully conducting this journal with credit to himself and satisfaction to all concerned. He is a thoroughly educated man, an excellent journalist, and is meeting with success in his present pursuit. Mr. Payne is a son of Charles A. and Eliza J. (Cushman) Payne, and was born in Edmeston, Otsego County, N.Y. August 13, 1867.
William Payne, the grandfather of our subject, lived in Edmeston for many years but previously resided in Morris, N.Y. His occupation was that of a carpenter and builder but he also manufactured picture frames to some extent. He was a strong Prohibitionist, and never used stimulants in any form. Religiously, he was a devoted member of the Methodist Church, and was superintendent of the Sabbath School for a number of years. He married Mary Ackerman, and they had a family of three children, namely: Mrs. Ada A. McLaughlin of Edmeston, N.Y.; Charles A., the father of our subject and Urban Delos who is a resident of Edmeston, N.Y.
Charles A. Payne received his education in the common schools of Edmeston, his birth place, and lived there until he had attained his majority. In 1877 he went to Garden Prairie, Ill, and journeyed to Los Angles, California. Prior to this he was a carpenter and shoemaker, and when he went west he followed his former trade of carpentering, which is his present business. In religious vies he has attached himself to the Methodist Church and was a superintendent of the Sabbath School. He was joined in marriage with Eliza J. Cushman and one child, our subject, blessed their house.
Albert J. Payne attended the common schools of Edmeston until he he was sixteen years of age, and then learned the printer's trade, which he followed in the village of Waterville for four months. He then went to Richfield and worked one month, after which he returned to Edmeston for a short time before leaving for Utica, where he was employed on the Living Issue, a weekly paper. His next position was at Morris where he worked on the Morris Chronicle for two years. Returning home he attended school for one year and then went to Utica and was employed in a clothing store, where he remained for a short time, when he returned to Edmeston, his native place, and purchased a half interest in the Edmeston Local, and after conducting his paper for two years, he went to Greene County and established the Cairo Herald, conducting that paper for seven years, selling out finally to a stock company. In the fall of 1896 he came to South New Berlin and started the South New Berlin Bee, which he now publishes. He is conducting it in an able manner; his subscription list is steadily increasing, and the paper is rapidly growing popular with the people. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the Yonderbocker Lodge, NO. 289, K of P of Cairo; and a member of the Winnebago Tribe No 362, I.O. R.M. He married June 11, 1890, Gertrude Brooks of Edmeston and they have one child, Melicent.
Mr. Payne give most of his leisure time to literary pursuits, for which he has a genuine love, and which he takes pride in aiming to excel. He is highly respected in a community of people possessing more than ordinary intelligence.
Source: p. 275
Transcribed by Ann Hopkins, January 2, 2006
WILLIAM G. PECK, who is the proprietor of the leading tailoring establishment in New Berlin, was born in the town of Pittsfield, Otsego County, N. Y., June 9, 1852. He is a son of Alvin and Freelove (St. John) Peck, and a grandson of Alvin Peck, Sr.
Alvin Peck, Sr., was a resident of Pittsfield, where he taught school until a few years previous to his death, and then conducted a hotel there. He also had charge of the stage route between Cooperstown and Norwich. He was an honest and upright man and was well and favorably known all over the county. He was called Home in 1858, at the age of sixty-five years. His companion in life was Elizabeth Sisson, by whom he had a family of eight children, five sons and three daughters.
Alvin Peck, Jr., was born in the town of Unadilla, January 27, 1829, and received his education in the common schools. He was but a lad of fourteen when his father conducted the stage route between Norwich and Cooperstown, and it became the custom for him to go along to carry the mail. In 1869 he started in the hotel business in Peck town, a village named in honor of his father, who lived there for many years. He conducted a popular hostelry there for many years, and in 1881 sold out his business and moved to New Berlin, where he had charge of the mail route between New Berlin and Morris. In 1885, he returned to the town of Pittsfield, where he has since been engaged in farming. He has performed all the labors of a good citizen, and possesses the friendship and esteem of his neighbors. In political belief he is a Republican, and has served his party and townsmen in a number of offices. At one time he was postmaster of Pittsfield, and has been town clerk several terms, which office. he is now filling. He was united in marriage with Freelove St. John, a daughter of Hon. David B. St. John, who at one time represented the town of Edmeston in the State Assembly at Albany. As a result of this union, four children were born, namely: William G., the subject of this sketch; Sarah, the wife of James Perkins, lives in Burlington Flats; Nellie, who married Charles Woodard, a farmer of the town of Pittsfield; and David B., who lives in Montana and is an extensive sheep raiser, keeping a drove of about 2,700 head. Mr. Peck's second union was with Lovina Sweet, and they became the parents of one son, Fred, who lives at Pittsfield.
William G. Peck attended the public schools of Edmeston and Pittsfield, after which he took an advanced course in the New Berlin Academy. The following eight years he was engaged in teaching school in the winters, while the summers were devoted to study. In 1877, he began learning the tailor's trade, and by paying strict attention to his work, he gained enough experience in three years' time to go into business on his own account. He began in a small way in the village of New Berlin, but owing to the good quality of the goods and the neat and stylish garments that came from his establishment, he did an ever-increasing business. In 1886, he purchased the house and lot, which was known as the Conkey place, and one year later erected his present store building in order to care for his large trade. In 1888, he made further improvements by repairing his residence, and now has one of the finest residences in the village of New Berlin. He also has one of the largest and neatest tailoring establishments in the county. His custom is so large that he is obliged to keep from six to ten men at work the year around. These men are all old and experienced workmen, and are qualified to turn out the finest tailor-made clothes. He keeps on hand a large stock of goods of the latest patterns and finest quality.
Mr. Peck was united in the holy bonds of wedlock with Mary C. Medbury, a daughter of Charles Medbury of Pittsfield, July 22, 1878, and one daughter, Frances Marion, has blessed their union. Since 1877, our subject has been a faithful worker in the Episcopal Church of New Berlin, and is now a vestryman of that organization. Socially, he is a member of the Phoebus Lodge, No. 82, F. & A. M.; and of the Hillington Chapter, No. 224, R. A. M., of Morris, N. Y. He is a well educated man, fond of reading, and is well posted on all current topics and matters of interest to the people. He is a deservedly popular man, and is entitled to the respect and esteem in which he is held by his fellow citizens.
Source: p. 524-525
Transcribed by Tim Stowell, Feb 2016
...the venerable and esteemed president of the Sherburne National Bank, is a native of Sherburne township, where for two-thirds of a century he has been prominenty identified with every interest that has had for its ultimate object the development of the townships's natural resources, and the enrichment of all the section that is contrubory to Sherburne.
Mr. Pratt was born October 18, 1810 in Sherburne township, and is a son of Joshua Pratt, Sr. who was born in Spencertown, Columbia County, NY an settled in the town of Sherburne about 1800......... When he came to Chenago County he was accompanied by his father , also named Joshua, who lived with his sons William and Frederick until he was called Home. His wife, our subject's mother was Jemima Talcott, and their children were as follows; Caroline, who married Dr. Devillo White, now deceased, Adaline, who died young; Julia Ann, who became the wife of Seth Kershaw; Adaline(2) who married Mr. Sutliff; Mary Eliza , who died in girlhood; Joshua Jr. our subject; Talcott, Walstein Elisha and Charles. ..........
In 1837, our subject married Miss Rebecca Pratt of Prattsburg, Steuben County, NY, she died in 1840 leaving one child, Cornelia, since eceased, who was the wife of Mr. Avery. Our subject's second wife was Annie Pratt of Ontario County, who is still living and accompanies her husband in the journey of life. Four children blessed this union, of whom two are living, as follows: Grace who married Homer G. Newton;, M.D. of Sherburn, NY, mention of who is made elsewhere in the Book of Biographies, in the personal history of William Newton, his father: and Carrie E. who lives at home with her parents.
Mr. Pratt can successfully lay claim to being the oldest man in active business life in Chenango County, but to one who did not know that he was fast approaching the age of ninety, he appears to be but little past the prime of manhood.
Source: p. 121
Counts after 22 Aug 2011 were lost by previous hosting service. There were 1347 visitors to our previous host from 16 Apr 2005 to 22 Aug 2011.
Email: Tim Stowell