ON the erection of Madison county from Chenango in 1806, Sullivan was constituted a half-shire town of the former, with Hamilton, which had previously been a half-shire town of the latter county, and the courts were held alternately in the school-house in Hamilton village and the school-house near David Barnard's, in Sullivan, now Lenox, until 1812. The first county officers were, Peter Smith, of Peterboro, First Judge; Sylvanus Smalley and David Cook, of Sullivan, Edward Green, of Brookfield, and Elisha Payne, of Hamilton, Associate Judges; Dr. Asa B. Sizer, of Hamilton, County Clerk; Jeremiah Whipple, of Cazenovia, Sheriff; Thomas H. Hubbard, of Hamilton, Surrogate; and Jabish N. M. Hurd, of Cazenovia, Coroner. 1
In 1810, Cazenovia was designated the county seat, and Colonel John Lincklaen and Captain Eliphalet Jackson were appointed to superintend the erection of a court-house. The brick building which now forms the eastern central part of Cazenovia Seminary, and is readily distinguished by its characteristic style of architecture, was erected, and the first court held in it in January, 1812. After the county seat was removed to Morrisville in 1817, in response to the demand for a more central location, that building was sold for $1,810, in 1818, to the Methodists, and used by them as a house of worship. It was subsequently converted into the Oneida Conference Seminary, and has since been used for school purposes.
Joseph Morse, Captain Eliphalet Jackson and Elisha Carrington were appointed to superintend the erection of a new court-house in Morrisville, and the first court was held there Oct. 7, 1817. A new court-house was built in 1847, Ellis Morse, Samuel White and Oliver Pool superintending its erection. It was burned during the session of the court in October, 1865, and was superseded by the present two-story wooden structure the following year. It contains a fine court-room, with gallery, jury rooms and library, and is pleasantly situated on the main street, fronting on a small park, which is ornamented with a beautiful fountain and reservoir, thirty feet in diameter and seven feet deep, affording an abundant supply of water in case of fire. An addition was built in 1877 to meet the demand for increased accommodations for the business of the county.
The Clerk's office is a small brick fire-proof, one-store building, erected in 1824 by Andrew P. Lord at a cost of $674, and stands adjacent to the court-house. The jail, which is also contiguous to the court-house, presents the appearance of a handsome residence, the front part being occupied as such by the keeper, a wing in the rear containing the cells. Its real character is admirably concealed, and would not be suspected by a stranger. It recently superseded the old wooden building erected in 1817, which was made historic by the confinement therein of the famous Abram Antoine. The jail of 1817 was built at a cost of $4,523.51; 2 the new jail was built in 1872 at a cost of about $20,000. It is a fine brick structure.
The county poor-house is situated on a farm of 159 acres in the town of Eaton, five miles south-east of Morrisville. The first building, a stone structure, was erected in 1828. The present one was built on its site in 1878. It is a two-story wooden structure, with a high stone basement, used for kitchen and dining-room. The keeper's residence is in the center; the male paupers occupy the right, and the female paupers the left wing. A partial classification is effected, and the sexes, when in-doors, are securely separated. The building is heated by steam, abundantly supplied with water, and has good bathing facilities. The apartments for the insane have been enlarged and improved. The farm is tilled by the paupers and insane and yields good crops.
Financial statement of the County Poor-House:---
|Cash on hand at last report||$1,817.67|
|" received for board of insane patients||289.50|
|" received for produce, &c., sold||812.28|
|" received from Poor Fund||9,740.67|
|" " " Building Fund||13,000.00|
|Paid W. I. Tillotson for building new county-house,||12,803.71|
|" W. I. Tillotson for moving and raising old building||545.00|
|" W. H. Warner for putting in steam heating works||2,000.00|
|" Utica Steam Gauge Co. for putting in steam heating in old building||247.66|
|" for window blinds and painting same||131.25|
|" for moving old insane building||150.00|
|" for stone walk||314.68|
|" for labor connected with new building, grading, &c||743.52|
|" for furniture for new building||57.50||16,993.32|
|" for supplies at county-house||6,330.20|
|" for hired help on farm||210.84|
|" " " " in house||263.00|
|" " matron for insane department||240.00|
|" for keeper's salary,||500.00||7544.04|
|" " insurance on buildings||107.50|
|" " physician's fees in case of lunacy||26.50|
|" for physician's salary at county-house||150.00||176.50|
|" for transportation of paupers from the several towns||128.61|
|Cash on hand||710.15|
From the report of the county Superintendents of the Poor, of Nov. 15, 1879, we glean the following particulars in regard to this institution:---
"The number of paupers at the county-house at the date of our last report was 108; the number received during the year was 140; the number discharged, 121; sent to Orphan Asylum, 2; died during the year, 17; present number at the County-House, 108; the number of children at the Poor-House under three years old is 4.
"The number of paupers now at the Poor-House are, from the towns of Brookfield, 5; Cazenovia, 9; DeRuyter, 4; Eaton, 19; Fenner, 2; Georgetown, 5; Hamilton, 12; Lebanon, 1; Lenox, 31; Madison, 2; Nelson, 4; Smithfield, 1; Stockbridge, 3; Sullivan, 10. Of this number 58 are males and 50 females. The number of weeks' board of paupers during the year is 6,907; the expense per week for each pauper is 91 cents.
"The estimated amount of produce raised on the farm during the year is 120 tons hay; 1,000 bushels potatoes; 420 bushels oats; 195 bushels corn; 370 bushels beets; 12 bushels onions; 300 heads cabbage; 60 bushels turnips; 12 bushels pop corn; 20 bushels sweet corn.
"There are now on the county farm 10 fat hogs, 16 shotes, 10 head fat cattle, 22 milch cows, 8 yearling heifers, 2 yearling steers, 1 two-year-old bull, 3 spring calves, and 3 work horses."
The pauper children are kept at the "Home for Destitute Children of Madison County," at Peterboro, which was established in 1871, through the munificence of Hon. Gerrit Smith, who donated the building, valued at $12,000, and ten acres of land, which with the barn thereon, is valued at $1,000. The entire value of this property is increased by a legacy of $130.15 from Miss Roberts and a bequest of $1,357.87 from Lucy Gilbert, to $14,488.02. 3
The "Home" is under the supervision of the Superintendents of the Poor, who under the date of Nov. 18, 1879, reported as follows:---
"The number of children at the Asylum at the date of our last report was 48; the number received during the year was 34; the number taken out on trial, 14; the number returned to parents, 3; number left without leave, 8; number discharged, 5; present number at the Asylum is 52---40 boys and 12 girls; average number kept during the year, 55.
"There were made at the Asylum during the year, 22 girls' dresses, 24 aprons, 2 skirts, 4 chemise, 6 pairs drawers, 40 boys' suits, 38 pairs pants, 5 coats, 62 shirts, 19 pairs suspenders, 45 pairs socks, 7 bed-ticks, 8 sheets, 10 pairs pillow cases, 1 bed quilt, hemmed 98 handkerchiefs, 24 napkins, 19 towels, 2 table spreads, and prepared rags for 54 yards of carpet."
Financial report of the "Home," or Madison County Orphan Asylum, the name by which it is also designated:---
|Cash on hand at date of last report||$526 80|
|" received from G. S. Miller, interest on legacies||23 80|
|" received from county treasurer||2,500 00||$3,050 60|
|Paid for transportation of children||21 21|
|" for school teachers' salary||156 00|
|" for hired help in kitchen||146 50|
|" " care of sick, sewing, knitting, washing, &c.,||93 41|
|" for new furniture||16 70|
|" for repairs of interior of building||15 75|
|" for labor and material for improvements outside||28 00|
|" for team work||10 96|
|" for physician's fees||76 00|
|" for keeper's salary||350 00|
|" for supplies, &c.,||2,066 81|
|Cash on hand||69 26|
The number of insane paupers Nov. 30, 1878, was thirty; the number of epileptics, two; and blind, one. During the first three decades after the completion of the poor-house, in 1828, the number of insane persons admitted to it, either as boarders or paupers, was sixty-eight; thirty-one males, thirty-seven females. At the close of the next decade---1867---there were four idiots, fourteen insane, and one blind person confined in that institution. Thus it is seen that the number of insane paupers has more than doubled during the two succeeding decades, while the population remains about the same. 4
Madison county holds an honorable position in the civil list, having furnished a private Secretary of the Executive Chamber of New York, in the person of Charles Stebbins, of Cazenovia, who was appointed Jan. 1, 1875; an officer of the Governor's Staff, William K. Fuller, of Chittenango, who was appointed Adjutant General, in 1823; a Canal Commissioner, Benjamin Enos, of DeRuyter, who was appointed Feb. 8, 1842; a Bank Commissioner, Charles Stebbins, of Cazenovia, who was appointed by the Governor and Senate Jan. 9, 1830, and held the office five terms, (ten years,) a State Treasurer, Benjamin Enos, of DeRuyter, who was elected Feb. 3, 1845; an Assistant Superintendent of Public Works, John Stebbins, of Cazenovia, who was appointed Feb. 9, 1878; a Judge of the Court of Appeals, Charles Mason, of Hamilton, who was elected Jan. 20, 1868; a Judge of the Supreme Court, Charles Mason, of Hamilton, who was elected June 7, 1847, and again Nov. 8, 1853; a Member of the Council of Appointment, Perry G. Childs, of Cazenovia, who was appointed Jan. 10, 1822; a United States Marshal, William S. Smith, of Lebanon, who was appointed Sept. 26, 1789.
There were three Judges of the United States Supreme Court, in whom Madison county may justly claim an interest, who sat upon the Supreme Court Bench at the same time. They were Judges John McLean, Samuel Nelson and Greene C. Bronson. Judge McLean was a native of New Jersey. He was once a resident of Eaton, and was brother to the late Noah McLean, of Pine Woods, in the town of Eaton. He emigrated with his parents to Virginia, subsequently to Kentucky and finally to Ohio, where, in Cincinnati, he was admitted to the bar in 1807. He entered upon the practice of his profession in Lebanon, Ohio, and in 1812 was elected to Congress from that district by a large majority, and again in 1814 by a unanimous vote---a circumstance of rare occurrence. In 1816, he was elected Judge of the Supreme Court of Ohio; in 1822, was appointed Commissioner of the General Land Office by President Munroe; in 1823, became Postmaster-General; and in 1829, was appointed by President Jackson a Justice of the United States Supreme Court. He died in Cincinnati, April 4, 1861. Judge Nelson was a law student in Madison and married there the daughter of his preceptor---Judge David Woods, an early attorney in the town of Madison. He was born in Hebron, Washington county, in 1792, and was of Irish descent. He was graduated from Middlebury College, Vermont, in 1813, and was admitted to the bar in 1817. He located at Cortland, where he practiced his profession with great success. In 1820 he was a Presidential Elector; was a Delegate to the State Constitutional Convention of 1821; was made a Judge of the Circuit Court in 1823; was appointed Judge of the Supreme Court of the State in 1831; in 1837 was made Chief Justice; and in 1845, was appointed by President Tyler a Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. Judge Bronson was a native of Fenner, and was for many years a distinguished lawyer in New York.
Barak Beckwith, John Knowles and Edward Rogers, represented the county in the Convention of 1821; Benjamin F. Bruce and Federal Dana, in that of 1846; Lester M. Case and Loring, in that of 1867, both voting in favor of the adoption of the Constitution.
On its erection in 1806, and during the continuance of the First Constitution, Madison county was a part of the Western Senatorial District, which then embraced Allegany, Herkimer, Onondaga, Ontario, Otsego, Schoharie, Tioga, Steuben, Oneida, Cayuga, St. Lawrence, Genesee, Seneca, Jefferson and Lewis counties. Broome, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Niagara and Cortland were subsequently added. This district was entitled to nine members from 1803 to 1808, and twelve from 1808 to 1815. April 17, 1815, the district was reorganized, and Herkimer, Ontario, Otsego, Schoharie, St. Lawrence, Jefferson and Lewis ceased to belong to it. Oswego was added in 1816, and Tompkins in 1817. From 1815 the district was entitled to nine members.
Under the second constitution Madison county was in the Fifth Senatorial District, which also included the counties of Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida and Oswego, until May 23, 1836, when Otsego was annexed and Herkimer transferred.
Under the third constitution, Madison and Oswego counties were constituted the Twentieth District. April 13, 1857, it was associated with Chenango and Cortland counties in forming the Twenty-third District. April 25, 1866, it was again associated with Oswego in forming the Twenty-first District; and April 23, 1879, it was associated with Herkimer and Otsego in forming the Twenty-third District, which relation it still sustains.
Madison county did not furnish a State Senator previous to its organization as a separate county; and only three during the continuance of the first constitution and its connection with the Western District, viz: Sylvanus Smalley, of Lenox, who served during the sessions of 1809, '10, '11, '12; Bennett Bicknell, of Morrisville, in 1815, '16, '17, '18; and Perry G. Childs, of Cazenovia, in 1820, '1, '2. They were succeeded by Thomas Greenly, of Hamilton, who served in 1823, '4, '5; Charles Stebbins, of Cazenovia, in 1826, '7, '8, '9; John G. Stower, of Hamilton, in 1833, '4; Joseph Clark, of Brookfield, in 1839, '40, '1, '2; Thomas Barlow, of Canastota, in 1844, '5, '6, '7; Asahel Stone, of Peterboro, in 1850; Simeon C. Hitchcock, of Cazenovia, in 1854, '5; John J. Foote, of Hamilton, in 1858, '9; James Barnett, of Smithfield, in 1866, '7; William H. Brand, of Leonardsville, in 1870, '1; Charles Kellogg, of Chittenango, in 1874, '5; John W. Lippitt, of Solsville, in 1878, '9.
The variation of Madison county's representation in the Assembly has corresponded with that of the ratio of her population to that of the State, the extremes being one and three. She had two members at the time of her formation; three under the apportionments of April 1, 1808, April 8, 1815, April 12, 1822, April 18, 1826, and May 23, 1836; two under the apportionments of March 8, 1846, April 13, 1857, and April 16, 1866; and one under the apportionment of April 23, 1879.
The first Assemblyman from the territory now embraced in Madison county was Jonathan Forman, who served in 1800-'1. He was succeeded by James Green and Stephen Hoxie, 1803; Stephen Hoxie, 1804; Samuel Payne and Luther Waterman, 1804-'5; Samuel Payne and Luther Waterman, 1804-'5; Samuel Payne and Sylvanus Smalley, 1806; Erastus Cleveland and Sylvanus Smalley, 1807; John W. Bulkley and Sylvanus Smalley, 1808; Oliver Brown, John W. Bulkley and Daniel Van Horne, 1808-'9; John W. Bulkley, Amos B. Fuller and Daniel Van Horne, 1810; John W. Bulkley, Henry Clark, Jr., and Zebulon Douglass, 1811; Bennet Bicknell, Nathaniel Cole and Samuel H. Coon, 1812; Walter Beecher, John D. Henry and Jonathan Olmstead, 1812-'13; Stephen F. Blackstone, Elisha Carrington and Abraham D. Van Horne, 1814; David Beecher, Winsor Coman and John Mattison, 1814-'15; Oliver Brown, Nathan Hall, Jr., and Eliphalet S. Jackson, 1816; James B. Eldridge, Moses Maynard and Jonathan Olmstead, 1816-'17; Thomas Greenly, James Nye and David Woods, 1818; Solomon Beebe, Thomas Greenly and Dennison Palmer, 1819; Amos Crocker, Eliphalet S. Jackson and Levi Morton, 1820; William Berry, Jr., Justin Dwinelle and Herman VanVleck, 1820-'1; Pardon Barnard, Henry Clark, Jr., and Justin Dwinelle, 1822; Rutherford Barker, Daniel M. Gillett and Curtis Hoppin, 1823; Joseph Clark, Edward Hudson and Thomas Spencer, 1824; Elias P. Benjamin, Nehemiah Huntington and James Nye, 1825; Thomas Dibble, Nehemiah Huntington and Jacob Ten Eyck, 1826; Sylvester Beecher, James B. Eldridge and Lemuel White, 1827; Joseph Clark, John Knowles and Eri Richardson, 1828; James B. Eldridge, William K. Fuller and John Williams, 1829; William K. Fuller, William Manchester and John M. Messenger, 1830; Robert Henry, Stephen B. Hoffman and John Whitman, 1831; Nehemiah Batcheler, Daniel Gillett and John Head, 2d, 1832; Erastus Cleveland, John Davis and Jesse Kilborn, 1833; Sardis Dana, Benjamin Enos and Henry T. Sumner, 1834; Joseph Clark, William J. Hough and Jason W. Powers, 1835; Ephraim Gray, William J. Hough and John B. Yates, 1836; Wait Clark, Isaac Coe, Jr., and Silas Sayles, 1837; William F. Bostwick, William Lord and Onesimus Mead, 1838; Friend Barnard, Benjamin Enos and Uriah Leland, 1839; Daniel Barker, Daniel Dickey and Benjamin Enos, 1840; Seneca B. Burchard, Oliver Pool and Daniel VanVleck, 1841; Simon C. Hitchcock, Calvin Morse and Job Wells, 1842; Venoni W. Mason, Henry Palmer and Lorenzo Sherwood, 1843; Ralph I. Gates, Thomas Keith and Alfred Medbery, 1844; Stephen G. Sears, William Smith and John I. Walrath, 1845; Horace Hawks, Thomas T. Loomis and Stephen M. Potter, 1846; George T. Taylor and Peter VanValkenburgh, 1847; John T. G. Bailey and George Grant, 1848; David Maine and Robert G. Stewart, 1849; John Clark and Thomas O. Bishop, 1850; Jairus French and Franklin B. Hoppin, 1851; George B. Rowe and Henry L. Webb, 1852; Dennis Hardin and Marsena Temple, 1853; Samuel White, 2d, and Franklin M. Whitman, 1854; Gilbert Tompkins and Aaron B. Brush, 1855; Samuel White and John Snow, 1856; Albert G. Purdy and Thomas P. Bishop, 1857; Lester M. Case and Robert Stewart, 1858; Simeon Rider and Noah M. Coburn, 1859; David Clark and James Barnett, 1860; Orrin B. Lord and Francis A. Hyatt, 1861; William H. Brand and Albert G. Purdy, 1862; William H. Brand and George L. Rouse, 1863; John W. Lippitt and Daniel F. Kellogg, 1864; Alfred A. Brown and Alvin Strong, 1865; Gardner Morse and Caleb Calkins, 1866; Bushrod E. Hoppin and Benjamin F. Bruce, 1867; D. Gerry Wellington and Robert Stewart, 1868; Wesley M. Carpenter and Leonard C. Kilham, 1869; Joseph W. Merchant and Leonard C. Kilham, 1870; David L. Fisk and Leonard C. Kilham, 1871; John W. Lippitt and Francis A. Hyatt, 1872; Edward C. Philpot and Joseph F. Crawford, 1873; Edward C. Philpot and Henry W. Carpenter, 1874; D. Gerry Wellington and George Berry, 1875; Morris N. Campbell and Frederick C. Fiske, 1876; Albert N. Sheldon and Merchant Billington, 1877; Lambert B. Kern and Willard A. Crandall, 1878; Augustus L. Saunders and George Berry, 1879; Gerrit S. Miller, 1880.
The First Judges of Madison county were: Peter Smith, of Peterboro, appointed June 10, 1807; Justin Dwinelle, of Cazenovia, Feb. 7, 1823; James B. Eldridge, of Hamilton, March 16, 1833; John B. Yates, of Chittenango, March 16, 1837; and Thomas Barlow, of Canastota, Jan. 24, 1843. The County Judges, since the office was made elective have been: James W. Nye, of Hamilton, elected in June, 1847; Sidney T. Holmes, of Morrisville, in 1851; 6 Joseph H. Mason, of Hamilton, 1863; 6 and Charles L. Kennedy, of Morrisville, in 1867. 6 7
The Surrogates of Madison county have been: Thomas H. Hubbard, of Hamilton, appointed March 26, 1806; Dr. Asa B. Sizer, of Madison, Feb. 26, 1816; John G. Stowers, of Hamilton, Feb. 19, 1821; Otis P. Granger, of Morrisville, April 13, 1827; James B. Eldridge, of Hamilton, Feb. 18, 1840; James W. Nye, of Hamilton, Feb., 1844. The duties of this office have been vested in the county judge since June, 1847.
On its erection Madison county belonged to the Sixth District, which then included Chenango, Herkimer, Lewis, Oneida, Otsego and Jefferson counties. March 29, 1809, it was united with Cayuga, Chenango, Onondaga and Cortland counties in the formation of the Ninth District, and remained in that connection till 1818.
The first person to fill this office from Madison county was Daniel Kellogg, of Sullivan, who was appointed Feb. 30, 1809. His successors have been Thomas H. Hubbard, of Hamilton, appointed Feb. 26, 1816, and again June 11, 1818; William K. Fuller, of Chittenango, March 26, 1821; Philo Gridley, of Hamilton, 1829;? 9 Justin Dwinelle, of Cazenovia, 1837;? Charles Mason, of Hamilton, 1845;? Henry C. Goodwin, of Hamilton, elected June, 1847; William E. Lansing, of Chittenango, 1850; 10 David J. Mitchell, of Hamilton, 1853; Asahel C. Stone, of Smithfield, 1856; Albert N. Sheldon, of Hamilton, 1859; Delos W. Cameron, of Cazenovia, 1862; Lambert B. Kern, of DeRuyter, 1865; Alexand Cramphin, of Morrisville, 1868; Gerrit A. Forbes, of Canastota, 1871; Sherman B. Daboll, 1874; John E. Smith, of Morrisville, 1877.
Judge Peter Smith, who a few years later was a distinguished early settler in this county, was the second Sheriff of Herkimer county, succeeding William Colbraith in that office February 18, 1795.
The Sheriffs of Madison county have been Jeremiah Whipple, of Cazenovia, appointed March 26, 1806; William Hatch, of Cazenovia, March 5, 1810; Jeremiah Whipple, Feb. 5, 1811; Elijah Pratt, of Smithfield, March 25, 1814; John Mattison, of Nelson, Feb. 28, 1815; Moses Maynard, of Madison, March 2, 1819; Ezra Cloyes, of Morrisville, Feb. 19, 1821, and elected in November, 1822; 12 Ezekiel Carpenter, of Cazenovia, in 1825; Pardon Barnard, of Lenox, in 1828; Joseph S. Palmer, of Lenox, in 1831; Thomas Wylie, of Lebanon, in 1834; John M. Messenger, of Smithfield, in 1837; Isaac Brown of Brookfield, in 1840; Samuel French, of Sullivan, in 1843; William B. Brand, of Brookfield, in 1846; Francis F. Stevens, of Eaton, in 1849; Stephen M. Potter, of Cazenovia, in 1852; Milton Barnett, of Smithfield, in 1855; Sanford P. Chapman, of Lenox, in 1858; William F. Bonney, of Eaton, in 1861; Asahel C. Stone, of Smithfield, in 1864; Andrew J. French, of Morrisville, in 1866; Edwin R. Barker, of Morrisville, in 1869; Milton DeLano, of Canastota, in 1872; Wilber M. Henderson, in 1875; Milton DeLano, in 1878.
Madison county furnished the first Clerk of Chenango county, in the person of Samuel Sidney Breese, of Cazenovia, who was appointed March 19, 1798. The successive Clerks of Madison county have been Dr. Asa B. Sizer, of Madison, who was appointed March 26, 1806; Samuel S. Forman, of Cazenovia, March 5, 1814; Josiah N. M. Hurd, of Cazenovia, Feb. 28, 1815; Bennett M. Bicknell, of Morrisville, Feb. 19, 1821, and elected in November, 1822; 14 John G. Curtis, of Eaton, 1825; Andrew Scott Sloan, 1831; Alexander Donaldson, Jr., of Nelson, 1837; Lewison Fairchild, of Cazenovia, 1840; Zadock T. Bentley, of DeRuyter, 1843; Andrew Scott Sloan, 1846; Lorenzo D. Dana, of Fenner, 1849; Lucius P. Clark, of Morrisville, 1852; William E. Lansing, of Chittenango, 1855; Charles L. Kennedy, of Morrisville, 1858; Loring Fowler, of Morrisville, 1861; Calvin Whitford, of Brookfield, 1864; Nathan Brownell, of Hamilton, 1867; Alfred D. Kennedy, of Canastota, 1870; Lucius P. Clark, of Morrisville, 1873; John N. Woodbury, of Peterboro, 1876; James S. Stewart, of Morrisville, 1879.
The Clerks of Madison county have been, Clark Tillinghast, of Morrisville, elected in 1848; Lyman M. Kingman, 1851; Henry F. Williams, 1854; Alexander M. Holmes, of Morrisville, 1860; David F. Payson, of Eaton, 1866; Charles T. Bicknell, of Morrisville, 1869; Otis Storrs, of Morrisville, 1875. 15 All were elected in November.
April 17, 1843, the Boards of Supervisors were directed to appoint County Superintendents of Common Schools; and Edward Manchester, Thomas Barlow, of Canastota, and Marsena Temple, of Munnsville, were accordingly so appointed in Madison county. The office was abolished March 13, 1847.
Prior to 1857, School Commissioners were appointed by the Board of Supervisors. In 1856, the office was made elective; and the first election under that act was held in November, 1859. The office has been held in Madison county by the following named persons, R. L. Miner, Jarvis A. Head, Harrison Burgess, Jason B. Wells, Joseph E. Morgan, Frank H. Hyatt and G. Newton White in the first district; and O. E. Sturtevant, Irving C. Forte, Henry K. W. Bruce, Hiram L. Rockwell, Lewis S. Loomis, Paul S. Maine and John E. Hoppin in the second district. G. Newton White, of Georgetown, and John E. Hoppin, of Cazenovia, are the present incumbents.
Madison county has been represented in the Electoral College as follows: William Hallock, of Lenox, in 1808; Thomas H. Hubbard, of Hamilton, in 1812; Elisha Farnham, of Cazenovia, in 1820; Phineas Coon, of Brookfield, in 1824; Benjamin Cotton, in 1828; Samuel Payne, of Hamilton, in 1832; John Williams, of Cazenovia, in 1840; Thomas H. Hubbard, of Hamilton, in 1844; Oliver Pool, of Nelson, in 1848; Thomas H. Hubbard, of Hamilton, in 1852; John J. Foote, of Hamilton, in 1860.
On its formation, Madison county was associated with Broome, Chenango, Onondaga and Tioga in forming the Sixteenth Congressional District. Under the Act of March 8, 1808, Madison and Oneida formed the Eleventh District. Under the Act of June 10, 1812, Herkimer and Madison formed the Seventeenth District. Under the Act of April 17, 1822, Cortland and Madison formed the Twenty-second District. Under the Act of June 29, 1832, Madison and Onondaga formed the Twenty-third District. Under the Act of September 6, 1842, Madison and Oswego formed the Twenty-third District. It has since been associated with Oswego county; though under the Act of July 19, 1851, they were constituted the Twenty-second District, and under that of June 18, 1873, the Twenty-fourth, their present designation.
The following have been the Representatives in Congress form Madison county: William S. Smith, of Lebanon, 1813-'17; Thomas H. Hubbard, of Hamilton, 1817-'19 and 1821-'23; Justin Dwinelle, of Cazenovia, 1823-'25; John G. Stower, of Hamilton, 1827-'29; Thomas Beekman, of Peterboro, 1829-'31; William K. Fuller, of Chittenango, 1833-'37; Bennett Bicknell, of Morrisville, 1837-'39; Edward Rogers, of Madison, 1839-'41; A. Lawrence Foster, 1841-'43; William J. Hough, of Cazenovia, 1845-'47; Gerrit Smith, of Peterboro, 1853-'54; Henry C. Goodwin, of Hamilton, 1854-'55 16 and 1857-'59; William E. Lansing, of Chittenango, 1861-'63 and 1871-'75; Sidney T. Holmes, of Morrisville, 1865-'67; Joseph Mason, of Hamilton, 1878-'80.
There were 1984 visitors to our previous site from 4 Dec 2006 to 23 Aug 2011.