The surface of this town is the most broken of any in the county. The Kickapoo river enters the town on the northwest quarter of section 3, and takes a winding, southwesterly course to the southwest quarter of section 20, then southeast to the middle of section 34, from which section it leaves the town.
"Hull's Branch," is the second stream in size; this enters the town on section 6, and flows nearly east for two miles, then bears south and enters the Kickapoo on the section line between sections 9 and 10.
Crow Hollow creek enters the town on the northeast corner of section 12, and flows nearly west, uniting with the Kickapoo river on section 10.
Shaw Valley creek, the fourth stream in size in the town of Haney, rises on section 24, flows southwest into the Kickapoo river, on section 34. There is also a spring creek in the town, which has two branches.
The town was originally well supplied with timber; all varieties of woods being represented except pine and hemlock. The saw mills of modern times have consumed much of this timber, leaving but the second growth. Railroad ties are cut and run down the Kickapoo river in great numbers, which also lessens the supply of valuable timber within the town.
The soil within the valleys is very rich, producing an abundant crop of corn, grass and oats, while the ridges are better fitted for wheat, rye, etc.
The first settler of this town was John Haney, who, in 1844, located in what has since been styled Haney Valley. Mr. Haney entered 160 acres of land; but it appears that it was not in his name, but in the name of one Houghton, of Galena, Ills. Mr. Haney enclosed a few acres and cultivated it, but seemingly did not intend to become a permanent settler. He was of a speculative turn of mind; he brought a few goods with him for the purpose of trading with the Indians. In 1849 he left his settlement, crossed the Mississippi river and founded the city of Lansing, Iowa, where he resided till his death. Some of his family are yet (1884) residents of that place.
The land entered by Mr. Haney for Mr. Houghton, passed from the hands of the latter into the possession of J. F. Haskins.
A Frenchman named Lesserd located about 1847 on the west half of the northwest quarter of section 33. He built a house, which was the second dwelling erected in the town, Haney's being the first. Lesserd and his wife remained there a short time, when their house was burned. He rebuilt, and then sold out to James Mullaney, and moved to Prairie du Chien, where he died.
The next settlers, and indeed the first permanent ones, were James H. Kast and James Mullaney. The former settled on section 12, in the spring of 1851, and the latter entered land the same year on section 33.
In the fall of 1851, Peter M. Webb, Thomas Spencer and Quinton Nicks located in what is known now as the town of Haney. Mr. Webb died April 9, 1860. In 1884 his son still resided in the county, but his widow was in Kansas. Spencer and Nicks settled on section 11. Spencer died where he settled, Aug. 29, 1859. Nicks sold his claim to Spencer and removed to Richland county, and from there moved west.
In 1852 W. H. Bliss settled on section 3, where he made a claim and lived about two years, when he entered land on section 4.
In September of the same year, 1852, J. N. Kast settled on section 12, where he entered forty acres of land. In 1884 he was an attorney at Bell Center.
In 1853 Peter Miller settled on section 10, where he remained till the time of his death in August, 1881. His oldest son, Charles, still owns and occupies the place.
James Wilkins settled the same season, on section 24. His son, Alexander Wilkins, settled the same time on the same section. The former died in Grant county a few years ago, and the latter at last accounts was living in Iowa.
Another settler of 1853 was William Shaw, who settled on section 26, on the farm afterward owned by Anna Gibbs. Mr. Shaw returned to Indiana, from whence he came.
L. H. Alvord located on section 6, where he entered 360 acres of land. A few years later he moved to Kansas.
Peter Lansing, a Baptist minister, settled on section 13, in November, 1854. He came from Indiana; he at once entered 160 acres of land, upon which tract he lived for five or six years, when he moved over into Grant county. All speak of him as being an excellent man and a talented preacher.
Dr. Simon Alder came in at the same time Mr. Lansing did, and settled on section 24, where he entered eighty acres and lived there till 1860, when he sold out and located at Petersburg, where he lived a few years and then moved to Illinois. He practiced medicine during his stay in the town of Haney.
In 1854 Nathan Kelley settled on section 13; he still lived in the town in 1884.
Thomas Coleman was also a pioneer of 1854; he located on section 1, where he remained till the time of his death in 1861.
Another settler of 1854 was Martin Totten, who located on section 10. He finally returned to his native State, enlisted in the Union army, and was killed during the civil war.
Ferdinand Glathart, who came in the same year, settled on section 10; he too returned to Indiana, enlisted, and was killed during the war.
Ira Lawrence located the same year, 1854, at Petersburg, where he built a large frame hotel, which was still standing and in a good condition in 1884. After running this hotel several years he moved to Nebraska and there engaged in the same business.
Simeon Wilcox came in 1854, from Indiana and settled on section 10, at Petersburg, and a little later moved to the town of Freeman, where he died.
In 1855, came George W. Wood, C. D. Bellville, William Raymond, Merritt Thompson, Mr. Iceam, Alanson Taft, James J. Holden, Madison and James Alderman, Richard Reed, Martin Reed, G. Cummings, Amos Alderman, H. A. Sturges, E. S. Barnum, George Root, James Dawling, and perhaps a few whose names have been forgotten.
Among the large number of settlers who located in 1856, were: William Brickner, W. D. C. Lewis, William Shultz, George Smith, Frank Stowell, Truman B. Stowell, Henry Meyers and S. Chadwick.
Mr. Haney built the first log house.
Peter Miller built the first frame house in the fall of 1854 at Petersburg.
The first child born within the limits of the town was Thomas, son of Peter and Jane Webb, born Feb. 28, 1852. He died in this town when about twenty years old.
The first marriage which occurred in the town of Haney was that of J. N. Kast and Elendar J. Webb, March 23, 1852. The marriage ceremony was performed by Rev. Dolerhide, a United Brethren preacher. Mrs. Kast died June 20, 1874.
The first death was that of Solomon Shook, a young man who came in from Illinois. He shot himself accidentally, Sept. 1, 1853. His remains were buried on section 11.
The first ground cultivated was that of John Haney's.
Henry Crow built the first mill, a saw-mill, on section 12, situated on Crow Valley creek.
The first school was taught by Maria Wilkins in the summer of 1853. She began the term at the residence of Thomas Spencer and completed the school in a school house erected that summer. James McAdam taught the following winter. He was a soldier in the Civil War and was killed at Fort Donaldson in 1862.
The first religious services within the town were held by Rev. Dolerhide, a United Brethren minister, from Richland county. These services were held at the house of James H. Kast, on Christmas eve, 1851.
The first physician was G. Morgan, who came in about 1856; was here a number of years and then removed to Nebraska, where he finally died. He was a native of the State of New York. He was a good doctor of the old school practice.
The first town meeting in the town of Haney was held April 5, 1859, at the house of George Root, on section 21. There were fifty-seven votes cast at this election, by which the following officers were elected:
Nathan Kelley, James H. Kast, Oliver Langdon, supervisors; David Wion, clerk; Henry Crow, assessor and treasurer; J. L. Stowell, town superintendent of schools; Oliver Langdon, G. F. Bigelow and G. W. Wood, justices of the peace; C. D. Kast, Ira Miller and W. F. Harris, constables.
Of these pioneer town officers the following were deceased prior to 1884:
Messrs. Langdon, Root, Bigelow, Crow, C. D. Kast, Harris and Wion. James H. Kast, Nathan Kelley and George Wood were still residents of the town at this date; the others having removed to various parts of the country.
The election of 1883 was held April 3, at Wood's Hall on section 11. There were 110 votes polled for the following officers:
J. N. Kast, Jefferson Buckmaster, C. R. Young, supervisors; Harrison Coleman, clerk; Alanson Taft, assessor; R. F. Haskins, treasurer; A. L. Stowell, James Alderman, S. Taft and John G. Richardson, justices of the peace; Austin Alderman, R. Dowling and P. C. Kast, constables.
In 1884 the town of Haney was divided into two full and eight joint school districts. Districts No. 1 and 5 are the full districts; the former has thirty-one pupils of school age; the school house is situtated in Haney Valley, on section 20.
No. 5 has twenty-three pupils; the school building in this district is on section 27, in Shaw's Valley. Joint district No. 1, is provided with a building situated in the town of Clayton. The average attendance belonging to the town of Haney is three.
Joint district No. 3 has a building on section 30. This district is made from parts of Haney, Seneca and Eastman.
Joint district No. 4 is provided with a house on section 11 of the town of Haney. Number of pupils, thirty-seven.
Joint district No. 7 is made of portions of Haney and Seneca. The school building in this district is in the town of Seneca. Number of pupils from the town of Haney, six.
Joint district No. 8 has a good sized frame house located on section 33, of the town of Haney. Number of pupils, seven.
Joint district No. 9 is furnished with a house situated on section 3. The number of pupils from the town of Haney is forty-four. This is what is known as the Bell Centre school. The building in this district is the best in the town.
Joint district No. 11 is provided with a school house on section 25. Number of pupils twenty-six.
Joint district No. 12 has a poor log building, situated on section 13. Number of pupils, twenty-seven.
The United Brethren were the first denomination to hold services of a religious character. They were still the most numerous sect in the town in 1884, at which time they kept their meetings up at the several school houses.
The next to hold services, were the Free Will Baptists, whose society has never been very large.
The Methodists are organized into quite a strong society. They hold services at Bell Centre and Haney Valley, alternately.
A church edifice is now (1884) being erected on section 25, this is to be a Union church, built by a general subscription, to be used by all denominations.
There are three burying grounds in the town of Haney. One of these is located at Bell Centre, on section 3. This was the first cemetery used in the town, it being established in 1854.
Another is situated in Shaw's Valley, on section 27. This also has been in use for many years. But little care is taken of these grounds, which remain unfenced and otherwise neglected.
The third place of burial is on section 25. This is of a later date, and receives more care.
The first interments made in the town, were in what is known as Crow Hollow. There are also several private burying grounds within the town.
There are three postoffices in the town of Haney. The first established was called Bell Centre, which has its history in connection with the village of Bell Centre.
North Star postoffice was established in July, 1864. Anson T. Cook was the first postmaster and was still serving in that capacity in 1884. The office has always been kept at the residence of Mr. Cook, on section 34. It is on the route from Wauzeka to Readstown; mail is received three times a week.
Haney postoffice was established Sept. 26, 1883. Seymour Taft was appointed the first postmaster. His commission is dated, Aug. 29, 1883. It is a special office on the route from Wauzeka to Readstown; it is supplied from North Star postoffice.
The first mill erected in the town of Haney, was a saw-mill, begun by James H. Kast, on Crow Valley creek, at a point on section 12. This was sometime during 1853. Mr. Kast, aided by his brother Chancey, got out the frame and made considerable progress toward the erection of the mill, when on account of ill health, James H. Kast was obliged to stop work. It remained in an incompleted condition till 1855, when the property was sold to Henry Crow, who set about completing it. Several years later he built a grist mill, a mile or so below the saw-mill. This was operated several years and finally burned and another mill erected on the same site, by Buckmaster & Morse. In 1884 this was doing a good business; at this date it was owned and operated by Jesse Buckmaster.
George F. Bigelow built a grist mill in 1857, on Hall's Branch, about two miles from the Kickapoo river. This mill was a failure, owing to the lack of a sufficient "head;" also, by reason of the dam being hard to keep in repair. But little was ever done in the way of grinding; the mill building was still standing, in 1884, as a land mark of early days.
A saw-mill was built by Horace Langdon, in 1873, on Crow Hollow creek, on section 10. He run it about two years, when the machinery was taken out, and the mill abandoned. In the fall of 1881, George W. Wood, on whose land it was situated, put in new machinery and made general repairs and the following February started the mill again, with an abundant supply of water power. Several portable steam sawmills have been operated throughout the forests of the town, at various times, but are no longer in use.
Bell Centre is so called from Dennis Bell, and the fact that its site was centrally located within the town, on section 3. The site of the village is on land entered by Silas Anderson about 1852. Anderson sold to Dennis Bell, in 1854. He engaged C. D. Bellville a surveyor, to lay out the village plat, and gave him a third interest for his services. Dennis Bell sold a part of the site to his brother, Elias Bell, so that the proprietors of the plat were Dennis and Elias Bell, and C. D. Bellville. The plat was made by C. D. Bellville in August, 1855.
Elias Bell and Merritt Thompson had erected a frame store building, 16x20 feet, and opened a small general store, in June, previous to the survey of lots; this was the first building erected on the plat. The first building after the platting was done, was a shanty erected for a dwelling house for the time being. George W. Wood built it. C. D. Bellville built a cheap house, at about the same time. Late in the fall of 1855, Bellville erected a small frame dwelling, which, in 1884, formed a part of the residence of J. N. Kast. Mr. Wood also built a frame building that fall, into which he moved his family, and the following spring opened a store in the same building; therefore, he was the second merchant in the village.
The first blacksmith at Bell Centre was Jonathan O. Parker, who erected his forge and placed his anvil several years after the platting of the place. He also did wagon work. He is spoken of by the pioneers as a skilled workman.
In the fall of 1855 William Raymond purchased the interest Elias Bell had in the village site, and in the spring Dennis Bell became sole owner of the plat. He operated the store a short time and then sold to Raymond, who continued a few months longer, when the business, store and goods were purchased by George W. Wood, who was succeeded by William Raymond, in 1861. Two years later, Raymond erected a better store building across the street in the town of Clayton; and with Aaron Cook as partner, he continued in trade till 1871, when they dissolved, Raymond continuing a year longer. In 1884 he was in the banking business in Hampton, Iowa.
Isaiah Rounds succeeded Raymond in business, and operated the store till his death, when the business was closed out.
The plat of the village extends to the town line of Clayton. At first it contained ten acres; a small addition was made, on the west side, in 1856, by Elias Bell, and another on the south. Several business houses were erected, also residences, across the street in the town of Clayton.
In 1884 the merchants on the village plat, were Lewis Bros. The business was first established by H. H. Lewis, in 1873, and has been conducted by various members of the family. The village plat, in 1884, contained the following business concerns: Lewis Bros., groceries, drugs, provisions, etc.; Arthur Stowell, blacksmith; Jack Richards, blacksmith; Nathan Kelley, wagon maker; J. N. Kast, attorney; Fred Lewis, postmaster; James Russell, hotel.
On the Clayton side of the village there were at this time, keeping a store, and carrying a general line of goods W. W. Tate & Co.
The first hotel in the place was kept by George W. Wood, in 1861, in the hotel building owned by William S. Waite, which was erected by Mr. Wood, in 1857, for a dwelling house.
The postoffice at Bell Centre was established early in 1856, and C. D. Bellville was the first to serve as postmaster. He was succeeded in a few months by George W. Wood, who kept the office till June, 1861, and was succeeded by William Raymond, who was followed by Isaiah Rounds; Mr. Woods was again postmaster from Dec. 1, 1870, till June, 1873, when he was succeeded by William S. Waite, who, in turn, was followed by R. E. Glover. H. H. Lewis was the next postmaster; he was followed by Fred Lewis, who is still (1884) in office.
This is the name of a Good Templars' lodge at Bell Centre which was organized Feb. 10, 1872 by the following charter members, whose title of office in given with their names: J. L. Stowell. W. C. T.; F. Glover, W. V. T.; Helen Wood, W. F. S.; R. E. Glover. W. R. S.; M. Rounds, W. T.; Horace Langdon, W. M.; Emma Barto, W. D. M.; M. L. Coleman, P. W. C. T.; Nettie Rounds, W. I. G.; William Langdon, W. O. S.; Margaret Smith, W. R. S.; Jennetta Rounds, W. L. S.; Edward Barto, W. C.; S. C. Smith, H. C. Walker, M. L. Coleman, Alvin Langdon, Jefferson Stowell, Jane Poff, Libbie Barber, O. P. Rounds, William Rounds, Ester Rounds, F. Brightman, David Dunham, H. H. Lewis, H. J. Poff, W. S. Wait, A. L. Stowell, Samuel Dagett, O. Bennett, B. Poff, F. W. Lewis, Nancy Rounds, M. Welch.
Officers of 1883: Thompson Whiteker, W. C. T.; Frank Coleman, W. V. T.; Joseph Whitteker, W. R. S.; Hattie Whiteker, W. F. S.; J. B. Strong, W. M.; R. Coleman, W. D. M.; Silas Anderson, W. S.; William Strong, W. G.; Aba Thompson, W. R. S.; Amanda Thompson, W. L. S.; J. N. Kast, P. W. C. T.; Hiram Whiteker, W. C.; S. Coleman W. T.; Ina Brown, W. L. D.
The following named persons are mostly early settlers; those who have stood in the front ranks during the pioneer "battle of the wilderness," and now behold the result of their hardships and privations. They certainly deserve an honored place in the annals of progress.
Ira F. Kast, the son of James H. Kast, was born in La Fayette Co., Wis., in 1846. He married Margaret J. Payne, daughter of Jonathan Payne. They have six children, four boys and two girls. Mr. Kast resides on the homestead which he now owns. His father was the oldest permanent resident of Haney town, coming to this town in the spring of 1851. Land had been entered by other parties before this date, but no permanent settlement made. He was born in New York State, in 1804. When twenty-two years of age he went to Medina Co., Ohio, remaining until 1845, when he went to La Fayette Co., Wis. In 1850 he came with his brother Chauncey to Scott town, this county, and in 1851 entered 160 acres of land on section 12, Haney town, where he has since resided. Mr. Kast has had eleven children, only four of whom are living --- Lois C., widow of Henry Crow; Mary J., wife of B. S. Haskins; Eleanor L., wife of George Burton, and Ira F.
John G. Richardson resides on section 11, where Thomas Spencer settled in July, 1852. He is a son of William Richardson, one of the early settlers of Scott town. Mr. Richardson was born in Kentucky, Jan. 4, 1842. He enlisted in February, 1865, in the 47th regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. Two of his brothers, Samuel and David, were also in the army. Mr. Richardson married Eliza, daughter of Thomas Spencer, born in Richland Co., Ill. They have six children, Mrs. Richardson's father was born in Indiana, and came to this town in 1851. He died in August, 1859. His wife is still living. Mr. Richardson's father was born in Loudon Co., Va., and came to this county in 1852. He entered 120 acres of land on section 7, where he resided until his decease in 1873. His wife died a few days previous.
William H. Langdon resides on section 20, Haney town He is a son of Oliver and Sarah (Knight) Langdon, who settled on the farm, now owned by Oliver Langdon's heirs, in 1854. He was born in Vernon Co., Wis., Nov. 18, 1853. He married Jesse M. Thompson, daughter of Ambrose Thompson, of Seneca town. Mr. Langdon's father enlisted in the latter part of the war, in the army, but died at Madison, Wis., while waiting to be transferred to the field. His widow, now the wife of Montrose Washburn, resides in Howard Co., Neb.
Harrison Coleman was born in 1847, in Indiana. In 1855 he came with his parents to Crawford Co., Wis., and has since been a resident of Haney town. He enlisted, when seventeen years of age, in the 3d Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He participated in the battles of Bentonville, and Averysboro, and was with Sherman on his march to the sea. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Alanson Taft. Mr. and Mrs. Coleman have two children --- Clarence and Pearl. Mr. Coleman was clerk of Haney town for 1883. He resides on section 22, this town. His father, Thomas Coleman, was born in Ohio. He died at his residence, on section 1, Haney town, in 1861. His mother died in Vernon Co., Wis., in 1877.
James Smethurst lives on section 29, town of Haney. He was born in Lancaster, England, in 1840. His father, Daniel Smethurst, came to this country while James was an infant, settling in Morgan Co., Ohio. In 1855, the family came to Crawford Co., settling on section 10, town of Seneca. His father died in 1872, and his mother in 1874. James, the subject of our sketch, was married in 1863, to Augusta Langdon. Mrs. Smethurst was a daughter of S. P. Langdon, the original owner of the village of Seneca, one of the earliest settlers of Columbia Co., Wis. James lived with his father until after his marriage, when, in 1864, he made the farm on section 10, now owned by B. Crow. Sept. 1, 1864, he enlisted in company C., 43d Wisconsin Volunteer, serving until the war ended, and the regiment was discharged July, 1865. In 1876, Mr. Smethurst, removed to Haney, buying land on sections 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 and 33, owning 577 acres, with about 300 acres under cultivation, with valuable improvements, being one of the finest farms in Kickapoo valley. They have three children --- Charles, born Jan. 17, 1864; Anna E., born May 20, 1866; Ira A., born Oct. 11, 1868. Mr. Smethurst has served as chairman of town board one term, on side board two terms, and is one of the reliable men of this town.
Henry Hamilton resides on section 32, town 9, range 4 west, in what is now known as Citron valley, where he located in 1873. Mr. Hamilton's father, Lot Hamilton, is a native of Lancastershire, England, and came to this country in 1853, to find a location and make a home for his children, his wife having died in England. In 1855 he entered land on section 11, this town, and in 1856, brought over his children, Henry and James, and settled on his land. Henry was born in England, in 1840. He entered the Union army in 1864, as a member of the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry, serving until the close of the war. He was present at the capture of Jefferson Davis, and received his share of the prize money given for that exploit. In 1872 he went to Texas, but not being pleased with the country returned in 1873, and purchased his present farm. He has 450 acres of land, 270 of which he bought of Mr. Mullaney. His farm is beautifully located in the Citron valley, and is one of the best stock farms to be found, perhaps, in the State. Mr. Hamilton married Catherine, daughter of M. Fairchild. She was born in German township, Fulton Co., Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton have eight children, six sons and two daughters. His father, Lot Hamilton, lives with him. Mr. Hamilton's brother, James, died while in the service of his country in 1863.
W. D. C. Lewis has resided in the village of Bell Centre since 1857. In that year he came to Bell Centre and purchased land adjoining the village, which he converted into a good farm which he still owns. Mr. Lewis was born in Shelby Co., Ind., in December, 1827. When fourteen years of age, he removed with his parents to what is now the State of Iowa. His father, H. H. Lewis, went to California during the gold excitement of 1849, and from there he went to Oregon, where he died. Mr. Lewis married Abbie C. Girdler, a native of Massachusetts. They have five children --- Horace H., Laura C., Fred, who is the postmaster at Bell Centre; Frank J. and Abbie E. The firm of Lewis Bros. have the only store on the village plat of Seneca. They deal in groceries, provisions, drugs, etc.
Mrs. C. Eliza Biederman is a native of New Haven, Conn. She came to Haney, Crawford Co., Wis., in 1858. She has been twice married, her former husband being Dr. Justin B. McCarthy, of St. Fancisville, Ill; her second one, Carl H. Biederman, of Poesnick, Prussia. Mrs. Biederman is a woman of culture and more than ordinary ability --- the author of the "Soldier's Souvenir," "Photos from Life," etc. She has four daughters, one of whom was by her former marriage. Her father, Capt. George F. Bigelow, was one of the early settlers of the town of Haney, he was born in 1800, at South Egremont, Mass., and reared in North Haven, Conn. At the age of eighteen he became master and owner of a coasting vessel; was married to Rebecca Wilmot, of Darien, Conn., in 1826, and removed from New Haven to North Hampton Co., Va., a few years after, where he engaged in merchandizing, milling and manufacturing castor oil. Mr. Bigelow also built many trading vessels for his own use, employing them to convey the produce he brought to New York, and West India markets. His property being destroyed by fire, he removed to Norfolk, Va., where he established himself in the milling and manufacturing business. While here Mr. Bigelow patented an improvement in the construction of ships. In 1841, he removed to Indiana, where himself and father were engaged in merchandizing. He next removed to Lawrence Co., Ill., where he resided many years, engaged in milling, merchandizing and farming. In 1856, on account of his health, he came to Haney town and erected a grist mill on Hall's branch, but only ran it a short time, and then departed this life. His wife followed him to the "world beyond," Feb. 1, 1880. Of their four children, Mrs. Biederman is the only survivor.
Alanson Taft, Sr., resides on section 13, Haney town, where he settled March 5, 1858, having previously purchased his farm of Peter Lansing. Mr. Taft was born in Machias town, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y.., Sept. 3, 1817. His mother, Lucretia (McIntyre) Taft, died in New York State, and his father subsequently married Deborah Vial. In October, 1833, his father moved to Trumbull Co., Ohio, and afterwards to Ashtabula county, where he lived until his death, which occurred while on a visit at West Mission, Iowa. Alanson Taft was married in what was then West Salem town, Mercer Co., Penn., to Elizabeth Graves, a native of Pennsylvania. He removed with his family to Crawford Co., Penn., thence to Grant Co., Wis., coming from there to Crawford county. Mr. Taft has 480 acres of land in this town, 100 of which are improved. He also owns land elsewhere. Mr. Taft died July 16, 1864, leaving eight children --- Absalom, Phebe, Mary, Elizabeth, Alanson, Oliver and Olive (twins), and Adelaide. They all, with the exception of two, are married, and all but one residents of Haney town.
Platt A. Lathrop resides on section 24, Haney town, where he settled in 1864, purchasing his farm of R. S. Lathrop. Mr. Lathrop was born in Chautauqua Co., N. Y., in 1835. His father, Landias Lathrop was an early settler of that county, but a native of Massachusetts. Mr. Lathrop enlisted, in 1862, in the 112th regiment, New York Volunteers, and served in the army two years. He married Harriet Rossiter, a native of Chautauqua county. Mr. and Mrs. Lathrop have five children --- Cassius, Ella, Jennie, Lowell and Landis, (twins.) Mr. Lathrop's farm consists of 160 acres of land, 100 acres of which are improved. It is pleasantly located, with a fine new brick veneered residence, and other valuable improvements on it.
Seymour Taft, postmaster at Haney, resides on section 24. He was born in Freedom town, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., in 1819, where he was reared. He married, in Hinsdale town, Philura Hawley, who died before Mr. Taft left his native county. He afterwards married Eudolha Morrea, who died in Pennsylvania, where Mr. Taft was then living. He has four children --- Lucretia, Thaddeus W., Ella and Edwin M.