EARLY POLITICAL PARTIES - REPUBLICAN SUPREMACY - INDEPENDENCE IN LOCAL AFFAIRS - OFFICAL LIST OF STATE SENATORS - ASSEMBLYMEN - COUNTY CLERKS - REGISTERS OF DEEDS - COUNTY TREASURES - SURVEYORS - CORONERS.
Since the Civil war period, as well as for several years before, Richland county has been reliably Republican, and the only question has been in regard to the size of the majority. It reached low water mark in 1876, when Mr. Hayes received a vote of 2,038, and Mr. Tilden received 1,591, a Republican majority of 447. In the campaign of 1896 the highest vote ever recorded for a Democratic presidential candidate in Richland county was given. In that campaign, Mr. Bryan's wonderful personality, magnetic force and matchless oratory, contending for a platform of principles that was unequivocal in meaning and clear in expression succeeded in arousing an interest in political affairs to an extent seldom if ever witnessed before. In Richland county every district school house became a political forum, and interest in everything else waned while the "battle of the standards" was in progress. The large vote given to Mr. Bryan, under the circumstances, was considered a great achievement by his followers. In 1904, however, high water mark was reached so far as Republican majorities in presidential years are concerned, and Roosevelt (Rep.) received 2,698 votes, while Parker (Dem.) received 1,340. These figures represent the largest vote and largest majority ever given to a political party in Richland county. But, though there can be no doubt that the republicans have a large majority in the county, the Presidential election of 1904 is not a fair criterion by which to judge its size. It is but stating a truth in history to say that Mr. Parker was not a popular candidate with the "rank and file" of the Democratic party; and especially was this true after he expressed his views on the coinage question. With such an independent character as Mr. Roosevelt in the field, many Democrats considered it an opportune time to consign Mr., Parker, "irrevocably," to the shades of political oblivion. But, notwithstanding the great majority for Roosevelt in 1904, the vote for governor at the same election was as follows: LaFollette (Rep.), 2,075; Peck (Dem.), 1,923; a Republican majority of only 152 votes.
In local and state affairs, however, an independent spirit has been manifested more or less ever since the close of the Civil War. The voters of the county have been generally given to "scratching" their tickets, and it has been difficult to estimate results, particularly as regards candidates for county offices; and members of the minority party have frequently been the incumbents of official positions. The first election held in the county of which there is any record, was on November 5, 1850, and the following officials were elected to positions in the newly erected county: County clerk, John Rutan; clerk of court, A. B. Slaughter; register of deeds, Levi Houts; county treasurer, D. H. Byrd; county judge, J. W. Coffinberry; sheriff, John J. Mathews; prosecuting attorney, John Stone; surveyor, James Appleby; coroner, William Kincannon. These gentlemen were duly qualified as officers of the new county and severally entered upon the duties of their respective positions. A special election was held on July 15, 1851, at which only eight votes were cast, electing John J. Morland to fill the office of prosecuting attorney, to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of John Stone. In November, 1851, the board of canvassers, having decided that the election held that year was not in accordance with the law, rejected all returns. "No election had taken place," was entered upon the records, and the old officers held over.
The writer has attempted to perfect an official list of Richland county from the organization of the county to 1906, and also to include with the list biographical matter concerning some of the gentlemen who have borne the official honors. In some instances the favored ones have passed away, leaving neither "kith or kin" to preserve their record; but notwithstanding difficulties, considerable information is here presented, concerning residents of Richland county who have borne official honors. For court judges and officers, see chapter on "Bench and Bar," and the biographical department of this work also contains additional information.
State Senators. - From 1859 to 1861, Charles G. Rodolf; 1863 to 1865, William Ketcham; 1867 to 1869, William Ketcham; 1869 to 1871, George Krouskop; 1871 to 1873, Henry L. Eaton; 1873 to 1875, George Krouskop; 1875 to 1877, Daniel L. Downs; 1879 to 1881, Joseph B. McGrew; 1885 to 1887, Norman L. James.
Charles G. Rodolf came to Richland county at a very early day and became a prominent man in all public affairs. He settled at the village of Orion, where he engaged at general merchandising. He was a fair speaker, although his language was quite broken, his native German accent being plainly noticeable. He afterward removed to Muscoda, in Grant county, and later to Wichita, Kansas, where he spent the remainder of his life.
George Krouskop, one of the pioneer settlers of Richland county, was born in Bellefontaine, Logan county, Ohio, May 12, 1832. He spent the early part of his life in Ohio, his father's family removing to Richland county, Wis., in 1851. George Krouskop received a good education in the common schools of his native state, and supplemented this by a thorough academic course at the Geneva College in northern Ohio. His first trip to Richland county was in 1850, when only eighteen years of age. He spent the summer of that year prospecting in this region, returning to his old home in Ohio in the fall, and when the family removed here in 1851 he came with them. For a year or two he was engaged alternately in teaching school and running his father's saw-mill at Sextonville. In 1854 he embarked in the mercantile business, and laid the foundation for a successful business career by establishing a store on a small scale near the Sextonville mills. Shortly afterward he purchased the mills, and continued these enterprises until 1865, when he removed to Richland Center and engaged in the mercantile business for a number of years. In 1870 he opened a bank. Mr. Krouskop always took a leading part in all public enterprises and improvements which would advance or develop the material resources of the town and county, and aided liberally both by his influence and ample means. While a member of the board of trustees of Richland Center and the largest tax-payer in the village, he was instrumental in putting down the fine artesian well, 752 feet deep, which is now the source of an inexhaustible supply of pure water. He was one of the originators and projectors, as well as one of the principal stockholders in the Pine River Valley & Stevens Point Railroad, an enterprise that was built wholly by home capital. He was president of the company for several years. Politically, Mr. Krouskop was a Democrat, and he served two terms as state senator in the Wisconsin legislature, representing the district composed of Crawford and Richland counties, being elected each time by a handsome majority over his opponent, in a district that was usually largely Republican.
Daniel L. Downs located at Orion in February, 1850, and that place remained his home until December, 1858, when he removed to Richland Center, where he continued to reside throughout the remainder of a long and useful life. He was a very prominent man in all public affairs, held various offices of trust, among them being the position of county judge, to which office he was elected on April 5, 1881, and continued to fill it until his death, September 14, 1897.
Assemblymen. - January, 1853, Henry Conner; 1854, Nathaniel Wheeler; 1855, Daniel L. Downs; 1856, Robert Akan; 1857, Robert C. Field; 1858, Charles G. Rodolf; 1859, William Dixon; 1860, Jeremiah L. Jackson; 1861, Elihu Bailey; 1862, Leroy D. Gage; 1863, John Walworth; 1865, Henry L. Eaton; 1867, Ira S. Haseltine; 1868, Warren C. S. Barron; 1869, Joseph M. Thomas; 1870, James H. Miner; 1871, Elihu Bailey; 1872, William Dixon and George W. Putnam; 1873, Norman L. James and George W. Putnam; 1874, Joseph B. McGrew and Philip M. Smith; 1875, Norman L. James and Benjamin F. Washburn; 1876, J. L. R. McCollum and Henry H. Hoyt; 1877, J. L. R. McCollum and Elihu Bailey; 1878, Joseph M. Thomas and Philip M. Smith; 1879, Joseph M. Thomas and Elihu Bailey; 1880, William H. Joslin and John H. Case; 1881, Birney M. Jarvis and John H. Case; 1882, James Washburn and George H. Tate; 1883, Charles G. Thomas; 1887, George E. Tate; 1889, R. H. DeLap; 1891, Jay G. Lamberson; 1897, William M. Fogo; 1901, John H. Babb; 1903, J. E. Coffland.
Henry Conner was the first man elected to represent Richland county in the state assembly. He was the candidate of the Democratic party and his opponent was E. M. Sexton. He served the people one term and gave good satisfaction, but afterward had a little to do with politics. However, he held the office of justice of the peace almost continually for thirty years, and also served as chairman of the Richwood town board. Mr. Conner was born in Virginia in 1798, learned the tanner's trade, moved to Ohio in 1832 and one year later to Johnston county, Ind., from whence he came to Wisconsin and engaged in farming in the town of Richwood.
William Dixon was an early settler in the town of Ithaca and a native of England, born in Beverly, Yorkshire, October 27, 1808. In 1817 his parents immigrated to America and landed at Philadelphia, in which city the future assemblyman attended school a short time, and then engaged as errand boy in a map-publishing house. From there he went with the family to Trenton, N. J., and there commenced to learn the weaver's trade with his father. In 1827 they again moved, going to New Hartford, Oneida county, N. Y., where he engaged to dress yarn in a cotton factory, remaining there until 1836, when he went to Lockport, where he set up 1,000 spindles in a cotton factory and afterward took charge of the weaving room until 1840, when he worked on the Erie canal a few months, taking charge of a gang of hands. Thence he went to Rochester and took charge of a weaving room in a factory there. Meanwhile he had purchased a farm in the town of Exeter, Otsego county, N. Y., upon which he settled in 1841, making that his home until 1854, when he started for Wisconsin, coming by railroad and boat as far as Stoughton, thence by stage to Signet postoffice in the town of Buena Vista. He rented a farm in that won and remained there until the spring of 1855, then moved to land he had purchased on section 1, now included in the town of Ithaca, upon which farm he lived during the remainder of his life. Mr. Dixon was a man of fine executive ability, and as a consequence was prominently identified with the history of this county. The people, having confidence in his ability and integrity, kept him almost constantly in office. In 1856 he was elected justice of the peace, an office he held for over thirty years. In 1858 he was elected chairman of the town board, and was chosen for that position a number of times afterward. He was elected to the assembly in 1859 and again 1872.
John Walworth was born at Big Sodus Bay, Wayne county, New York, on July 28, 1804. At the age of seventeen he was sent to Norwich, in Chenango county, for the purpose of obtaining an education, remaining about six years, and then returned to western New York, where he was for several years engaged in school teaching and other literary pursuits. Soon after this, in company with a number of others, he immigrated to the then territory of Michigan, arriving there in time to take part in that ludicrous appeal to arms by the young Governor Mason in calling out the militia of the territory to prevent the governor of Ohio from taking possession of a certain strip or piece of land lying along the southern border. Mr. Walworth chose the ministry as his profession and continued his ministerial labors as health would permit for nearly fifty years. In 1840 he came to Illinois and traveled four years as a missionary, but the unavoidable exposure to cold and storm so impaired his health that at the end of that service he was compelled to relinquish this arduous labor, and in 1846 he removed to Monroe, Green county, Wis., where he subsequently became proprietor and editor of the Monroe Sentinel, a weekly county paper of the Democratic persuasion. Mr. Walworth was chosen president of the people's convention, held at Madison on July 13, 1854, at which the Republican party was organized by the adoption of a platform of freedom, and the appointment of the state central committee and other officers. About two years after this Mr. Walworth had so far regained his health that he accepted a call to a pastorate in the cities of Lewisburg and Northumberland, Penn., but a few months of pastoral labor brought on the former complaint, the bronchitis, and though very pleasantly situated, he found it necessary to relinquish his charge. In 1858 he located at Richland Center, having purchased the office of the Richland County Observer, which brought him again into politics, in which he advocated the principles of the Republican party with fidelity. He took a deep interest in the cause of temperance, frequently lecturing on the subject, and in 1860 was elected Grand Worthy Chaplain of the order of Good Templars of the state. In 1862 he was elected to the legislature, also again elected in 1863. He served for a brief period in the Civil War as chaplain, and after the close of that conflict returned to Richland Center, where he spent the remainder of his life.
Ira S. Haseltine was born July 13, 1821, at Andover, Windsor county, Vermont, and received a common school and academic education. At the age of sixteen he removed with his parents to Waukesha county, Wis., and after on year upon his father's farm there, taught school three years, then studied the law in Milwaukee with D. J. A. Upham. He afterward taught school in Natchez, Miss., and then became a lecturer upon scientific and reformatory subjects, spending about ten years in that field of labor. In 1850 he purchased land in Richland county, where he surveyed and platted the village of Richland Center. In July, 1854, Mr. Haseltine was a delegate from Richland county to the first Republican state convention held in the United States at Madison, Wis. In 1866 he was elected by the Republican party to represent the county in the assembly. Early in the seventies he removed to Missouri, was elected to Congress from that state in 1880, and he died in Missouri, Jan. 13, 1899.
Warren C. S. Barron was born in Troy, New York, August 3, 1830, and his early life was spent on a farm, but he also learned the trades of both shoemaker and tailor. In 1850 he engaged in the livery business at Billingham, Mass., and conducted the same until 1855, when he left that city and started for the western frontier, soon arriving in Waukesha county, Wis. In 1856, he came to Richland county, and in November of that year purchased the south half of the northwest quarter of section 35, in the town of Westford. On August 12, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company B, Twenty-fifth Regiment of Wisconsin volunteer infantry. Soon afterward he was appointed orderly, and on August 25, 1863, was commissioned second lieutenant, was later promoted to the position of first lieutenant, and on December 20, 1864, became captain of the company, with which rank he was mustered out of the service on June 15, 1865. He participated in all the engagements of his regiment, was a brave soldier and always had the respect and confidence of his command. After these series of events he returned to Richland county, and from 1868 until his death resided in Richland center. In 1858 he was elected town superintendent of schools, which position he held until the office was abolished. In 1868 he represented his district in the assembly, and from that date until January, 1883, was connected with the office of sheriff, having twice been elected, once appointed to fill a vacancy, and at different intervals acting as deputy. He also served as president of the village board.
Joseph M. Thomas came to Richland county in 1857, and first lived in the town of Buena Vista for three years, when he purchased eighty acres located on section 1 in the town of Ithaca. He was born in Herkimer county, N. Y., August 23, 1829, and spent his younger days at school and on the farm. As soon as he had obtained sufficient education he commenced teaching, and followed that occupation during the winter season and farming in the summer. In 1855 he came to Wisconsin, traveled through the eastern and southern part of the state, and made his first visit to Richland county, after which he returned to his native county and remained until 1857, when as before stated, he came to this county. He became one of the prominent and representative men of the county, served a chairman of the town board a number of terms, and was chosen in 1868 to represent his district in the assembly, was elected again in 1877 and re-elected in 1878, serving with honor to himself and satisfaction to his constituency.
James Washburn came to Richland county in April, 1868, and bought timber land on section 15, town of Rockbridge. He was born in the town of Manlius, Onondaga county, N. Y., August 15, 1821, and received a good education the public schools of that county. When fourteen years old he went to work with his father, who was a carpenter, and from him learned that trade, which he followed in that state until 1853, when he removed to Monroe county, Ohio, and there worked at his trade until the breaking out to the "great American conflict," when he enlisted in the Twenty-fifth Ohio, Company B, and served as captain until 1862, when for gallant and meritorious conduct he was promoted to the rank of colonel, and took immediate command of the One Hundred and Sixteenth Ohio volunteers. He was severely wounded at the battle of Snicker's Ferry, July 18, 1864, and was at home sixty days, when he rejoined the regiment, but was not again able to do active service. He was discharged July 7, 1865, and returned to Ohio, where he remained until 1868, when he came to Richland county. He filled various offices of trust in his adopted county, and was chairman of the town board several years. He also served a number of terms on the county board, and was a member of the assembly in 1882. He died on May 12, 1898.
County Clerks. - 1850, John Rutan; 1852, Hascal Haseltine; 1854, David Strickland; 1856, Charles D. Stewart; 1858, D. Glazier Pease; 1860, C. H. Smith; 1862, Gilbert L. Laws; 1868, W. H. Pier; 1874, Jesse G. Bunell; 1880, George W. Putnam; 1882, Homer J. Clark; 1886, J. W. Fowler; 1888, Horatio Cornwall; 1891, C. B. Cornwall; 1896, R. R. Benton; 1900, John C. Beard; 1902, George Wulfing.
John Rutan was the first county clerk for the county of Richland. He was elected at the organization of the county, in April 1852, and was re-elected in November of that year. Mr. Rutan was among the first settlers at Richland City, where he was clerking in a store when elected to the clerkship. Soon after the expiration of his term of office he left the county. He had a fair education, and in those days was considered a prominent man.
In November, 1852, Hascal Haseltine was elected county clerk and served one term. He was a native of Vermont, a member of the Haseltine family who settled at Richland Center and founded that village. He settled with his family on what has since been platted as the Schoolcraft addition to Richland Center. He remained in the county for a number of years and finally removed to Missouri.
Charles D. Stewart came from the state of New York at an early day and settled on Willow creek in the present town of Willow. In November, 1856, he was elected county clerk, and moved to the county seat. He served one term in the office and during that time began the study of law. In 1859 he was admitted to the bar and engaged in the practice of law in the northern part of the county, locating in the town of Forest, where he remained until the time of his death, which occurred in 1873. Mr. Stewart was possessed of a good education, made a good county official, a fair lawyer, and was a prominent man in his part of the county. He was a jovial pleasant fellow, and, it is said, would rather laugh than eat.
C. H Smith was elected county clerk in November, 1860, and served one term. He was elected county treasurer in November, 1864, and being re-elected in 1866, served four years in that capacity. Mr. Smith was a prominent man in the county in the decade between 1860 and 1870 and was identified with many public interests and enterprises. At one time he was quite wealthy, but like thousands of others throughout Wisconsin, a large portion of his worldly goods vanished in the great hop panic in 1868. He moved from here to Windom, in Cottonwood county, Minn., where he was elected to represent his district in the state senate. In 1880 he removed to Worthington, Minn., and later was appointed to the responsible position of receiver of the United States land office in that place. He was honored with many other positions of trust by his Minnesota fellow-men, and in every way proved himself worthy of their suffrage.
In November, 1862, Gilbert L. Laws was elected county clerk, and being re-elected in 1864 and 1866, served six years. Mr. Laws was a native of Illinois. At an early day, as early at least as 1850, he came to Wisconsin with his parents and settled in Richland county, upon the Wisconsin river, at a point which took the name of "Laws' Ferry." About 1860 he moved to Richland Center and taught school there, going into the service when the war broke out. At the battle of Williamsburg he lost a leg, and after partially recovering in the hospital he returned to his Richland county home and was soon afterward elected county clerk. For some time he was associated with W. M. Fogo in the publication of a paper at Richland Center, and he was also a partner of C. H. Smith in the real estate and abstract business. In 1879 he removed to Nebraska and later became register of the United States land office at McCook, in that state. Mr. Laws was a man of more than ordinary education and business ability, he is spoken of by all as having been a prominent man, and one who made many friends.
John W. Fowler, who was elected county clerk in 1886, was born in Hancock county, W. Va., October 31, 1850, and was in his fifth year when his parents came to Wisconsin. His younger days were spent on the farm and in school, and he continued the occupation of a farmer until elected to the position of county clerk. He died in the autumn of 1888, before the expiration of his term of office.
Registers of Deeds. - The following occupants of this office are given in the order of their service: Marvin White, Levi Houts, Charles M. McCorkle, Israel Janney, Andrew J. Page, John S. Wilson, Milton Satterlee, A. Loveless, John D. Funston, D. B. Sommers, Reuben Sutton, W. H. Renick, J. N. Brimer, Ezra Reagles, W. J. Slater, S. P. Howard, John Brown, John M. Shireman.
Marvin White had the honor of first filling the office of register of deeds for Richland county. He was elected at the organization of the county in April, 1850, and served until the qualification of his successor, who was elected in the fall of the same year. Mr. White was a mechanic who had settled in the village of Richmond in 1849. He remained until 1852 when he went north.
In November, 1850, Levi Houts, of the present town of Orion, was elected register of deeds and served two years.
Charles M. McCorkle succeeded Mr. Houts, being elected in November, 1852. Mr. McCorkle had settled with other members of the family, at Sextonville. He was a man of delicate health, and before his term of office as register of deeds had expired, he died of consumption. He is remembered as a man of excellent character, and one who was well thought of among the pioneers.
Israel Janney, one of Richland county's pioneers, was born in Loudoun county, Va., October 17, 1820. When he was but four years of age his parents moved to Logan county, Ohio, and there the future register of deeds grew to manhood. Taking advantage of the facilities then offered, he acquired a fair education. He remained in Ohio until 1846 and then came to Richland county, which was at that time and almost unexplored wilderness, inhabited by Indians and wild beasts. He located in township 9, range 2 east, now known as Buena Vista, and first made claim on a quarter section of land. In 1854 he was appointed by the governor as register of deeds, to fill a vacancy caused by the death of Charles M. McCorkle, and moved to Richland Center. That fall he was elected to the position and afterward re-elected. In 1856 he was elected a delegate to the Republican convention at Madison, the first ever held in the state. After retiring from office he took up his residence in the town of Rockbridge, and died there in the spring of 1897.
In November, 1858, Andrew J. Page was elected register of deeds, in 1860 and 1862 was re-elected, serving in all six years. He came to the county at an early day and settled with friends on Willow creek. He was a cripple, having through some misfortune lost the use of his limbs, and had to be carried about. He died a sort time after being elected for his last term. Mr. Page was a man of a great deal of ability.
John S. Wilson came to Richland county with his parents in an early day and settled at Richland Center. For a number of years he followed school teaching and clerking in stores. In 1856 he was elected clerk of court, and while in that office he read law and was admitted to the bar. After the expiration of his term as clerk he opened a law office as partner of Amasa Cobb of Mineral Point, and remained in practice until the war broke out, when he raised a company, became its captain, and went into the service. He returned to Richland Center, again opened a law office, was appointed and afterward elected to the office of register of deeds, and he remained here for a number of years then removed to Kansas.
In November, 1864, Milton Satterlee was elected register of deeds. He came from Indiana and settled at Woodstock at an early day. When elected to office he removed to Richland Center and lived there until after the expiration of his term, when he returned to his former home and there spent the remainder of his life.
A. Loveless succeeded Mr. Satterlee, being elected in November, 1866, and re-elected in 1868. He came from the state of New York and settled in the town of Forest, Richland county, as early as 1858. He was an elderly man at the time of his removal here and had quite a large family. When elected register of deeds the old gentleman took up his residence at Richland Center and remained there until a short time before his death in 1871. He is said to have been one of the most upright and honorable men who had lived in the county.
County Treasurers. - 1850, D. H. Byrd; 1852, Jacob Brimer; 1856, A. H. Bush; 1858, D. L. Downs; 1860, E. M. Sexton; 1862, James L. McKee; 1864, C. H. Smith; 1868, William H. Joslin; 1872, J. F. Walker; 1874, Charles W. Peckham; 1876. Horace L. Burnham; 1880, Irvin Gribble; 1884, W. R. Peckham; 1890, James T. Pratt; 1894, J. H. Babb; 1898, Philip M. Smith; 1902, Grant Dillon.
The first treasurer of Richland county was D. H. Byrd, who was elected in the spring and re-elected in November 1850. Br. Byrd came to Richland county with his parents, in 1847, and settled at the head of what has since been known as Byrd's Creek, in the town of Richwood. When elected treasurer he removed to Richmond, then the county seat, and remained until about June, 1852, when he removed to Oregon.
Jacob Brimer came to the county during the year 1850, locating in the town of Orion, where he remained a few months and then located in the town of Richland, where he lived a number of years, then returned to the town of Orion and continued to reside there until his death, engaged in the woolen mill and saw-mill business, in the vicinity of what is now known as Twin Bluffs.
A. H. Bush was the next county treasurer, being elected in November, 1856. Mr. Bush was a native of the state of New York. He came to Richland county at an early day and settled upon a farm within the present limits of the town of Ithaca, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits and also taught school. When elected to office he removed to Richland Center, and later became closely identified with the temperance movement, at one time being the highest office of the Good Templars' lodge in the state. A few years later he returned to his farm and became a local preacher for the Baptist church. He remained in the county until about 1874, when he removed to Nebraska, and afterward served one term in the legislature of the state.
E. M. Sexton came from New York state at a very early day and settled where Sextonville was afterward laid out, the village being platted by and named for him. He served the county and town in which he lived in various offices. He was admitted to the bar at an early day, and devoted some of his time to the practice of law but never had more than a meagre business. In 1874 he removed to Barron county, Wis., where his home remained until the time of his death in 1878. He had a fine legal mind and was one of the best counselors the county has ever had, holding the respect and esteem of all.
Horace L. Burnham came to Richland county in 1856 and settled on the southeast quarter of section 36, town 10, range 1 east. He resided thereon during the remainder of his life, with the exception of the four years that he served as county treasurer, which he spent in Richland Center. He was a native of the Green Mountain State, born in Addison county, July 12, 1828. He obtained his early education in the district school, and afterward attended the academy at Bakersfield, Vt., one term, also one term at Knox college in Galesburg, Illinois. After completing his education he engaged in teaching school winters, and farming the remainder of the year. Mr. Burnham was prominent in administrative affairs of both town and county, having been superintendent of schools of the town of Ithaca, a member of the town board, town treasurer ten years, and county treasurer four years. He died several years ago.
Surveyors. - 1850, James Appleby; 1854, Loreman B. Palmer; 1856, Joseph E. Irish; 1858, James Appleby; 1860, D. Hardenburg; 1862, C. D. Belleville; 1864, D. Hardenburg; 1870, James Appleby; 1886, L. L. Appleby; 1894, James M. Appleby.
Coroners. - This is an unimportant office, and but few who have been elected to it have qualified. The following is a list of those who have been elected: 1850, William Kincannon; 1852, Orin Haseltine; 1854, Ira Haseltine; 1864, A. S. Neff; 1866, A. Hoskins; 1868, H. Collins; 1872, George Jarvis; 1876, W. M. Fogo; 1878, John H. Carswell; 1880, D. O. Chandler; 1882, Norman L. James; 1884, A. S. Ripley; 1886, J. W. Like; 1890, James Lucas; 1892, F. P. Bowen; 1894, James Lucas; 1896, J. M. Armstrong; 1898, R. H. DeLap; 1900, E. E. Newland; 1902, George Sinnett; 1904, George Francisco.
Prosecuting Attorneys, Clerks of Court and Sheriffs. - See chapter on "Bench and Bar."
School Superintendents. - See chapter on "Educational Development."
There were 1100 visitors at our previous host from 11 Mar 2006 to 2 Aug 2011 and 753 visitors to a previous site from 12 Aug 2002 to 11 Mar 2006.