The first permanent settler in the territory now comprising the town of Eagle was Mathew Alexander, a native of Kentucky. He had been a sailor on the great lakes, and came from that region to this county in 1840. He entered lots 1 and 2, on section 33, and lot 4, on section 34, where he made some improvements, and remained until 1852, when he sold out and removed to Brownsville, Minn. The greater portion of the time which he spent here he was engaged in lumbering and rafting.
It is believed that the first claim in the town of Eagle was made, in 1839, by Robert Boyd and Monroe Fleming. During this year they came from Iowa county and claimed the southwest quarter of section 26, covering the excellent mill privilege on what is now called Mill creek. They made no improvements except to cut four poles and lay them "claim fashion." They did not attend to their claim close enough and it was jumped in 1841 by Thomas J Parrish.
In 1841 Hardin Moore, a native of Kentucky, came here from Grant county and made a claim of the southwest quarter of section 34. He was a single man; did not enter his land, but erected a log cabin and made a little clearing. A few years later he sold his claim, and boarded with Mathew Alexander for a time. He was a natural mechanic, and would often shoe horses for the settlers. He receives attention in the general chapters of this volume.
Thomas Palmer and his sons, Loreman and William, came here in 1848. The father entered the east half of the northwest quarter of section 32, where he lived until the time of his death. Loreman entered the east half of the northwest quarter of section 32, and lived there until he died. William entered the east half of the northeast quarter of section 32. He lived there for some years; then sold out and removed to Missouri; but returned after a short stop, and has since died.
George Goff, a native of Virginia, came from Missouri in 1848, and settled in the town of Orion. In 1853 he settled on the southeast quarter of section 26, where he died Jan. 4, 1858. His widow died in December, 1863. They were both buried in the Orion cemetery. Thomas Goff, a son, came with his parents and lived for a time in the town of Orion. In 1855 he entered the southwest quarter of section 15, in the town of Eagle, and made this his home until the time of his death.
Stephen Tinnell, a native of Kentucky, came here from Highland, in 1849, and claimed the northwest quarter of section 33. He remained here about three years and then removed to Missouri.
William Pickering, with his brother John, natives of England, came from Racine county in 1849 and entered 320 acres on sections 8 and 9. William located here in 1853 and is still a resident.
William Cooper, a native of Pennsylvania, came here from Indiana in 1849 and entered the east half of the northwest quarter of section 11. In the spring of 1850 he settled on section 26. He now lives on section 28.
Cyrus McGill, a native of Virginia, came here in 1849 and located on section 25. He lived there until after the war, when he removed to Kansas.
The first move toward a settlement in what is known as Hoosier Hollow was made in 1849, when William Miller, George D Sharp and Preston Say came from Indiana and located here. Miller entered three quarter sections of land on sections 13 and 23; Sharp entered 160 acres on sections 14, 21 and 22; and Say selected 160 acres on sections 23 and 24. Miller and Sharp both erected log cabins, after which the party returned to Indiana for their families. In September, 1849, they again came, accompanied by their families. Mr. Miller settled on the southeast quarter of section 23. His son John, with his family, came at this time and settled on section 13, afterwards removing to section 23. Sharp located on the southeast quarter of section 14, where his widow still resides. In October, 1849, James and Andrew Miller, brothers of William, came to Richland county and located in the town of Orion. James was a bachelor. He bought land on section 29, which is now owned by Henry Hurless. He did not improve the land, selling out a few years later. Until the death of his sister he remained in Orion, after which he made his home with William until he died. Andrew owned land on sections 29 and 30, now known as the Kite farm. He died in Orion and his widow now makes her home with her sister, Mrs. Abraham Beard.
William Robinson came with the Miller brothers to assist in moving their goods. He entered land on section 24, but did not settle at that time, returning to Indiana. In 1851 he came back and settled on his land.
Mrs. Sarah Perrin, a native of Kentucky, came here at the same time and bought land on section 25. She is now the wife of J D Fazel.
In 1850, George Slater, Abraham Beard and Joseph Hays came here from Indiana. Slater first settled on section 23; but a few years later moved to section 34. Beard settled on section 23, and made this his home until the time of his death. Hays settled on section 13. A few years later his wife died, and for some time he lived with his son-in-law; after which he returned to Indiana and died at the home of his son.
John Thompson, a native of Ohio, came here from Indiana in 1850 and settled on section 22, where he died in 1854. His widow still lives on the old homestead.
Charles G Rodolf, a native of Switzerland, came from Iowa county in 1850 and first located in Orion, where he engaged in the mercantile trade. In 1852 he came to the town of Eagle and bought the mill property on section 26. He now lives in Muscoda.
Josiah Newburn, a native of Pennsylvania came here in 1851 and settled on section 22. He lived there for several years, then removed to Nebraska. He died in Missouri in 1882.
Jeremiah B Newburn, a native of Pennsylvania, came from Illinois in 1852 and entered the northeast quarter of section 33. The following year he settled there and is still a resident.
Josiah and Richard Willey, natives of England, came here in 1852 and settled on sections 17 and 20. They remained but a short time then returned to Grant county, where Richard died in 1883, and Josiah still lives.
Abraham Dillon, a native of Missouri, came here from Grant county in 1852 and entered land on sections 7 and 8. He still occupies the place.
Newton Wells, a native of Virginia, came here from Orion in 1854 and located on section 10, where he still lives.
Martin Smith came from Indiana during the same year and entered land. When the war broke out, he enlisted and died in the service. The family are now scattered.
Holliday Peters, a native of Indiana, came here in 1854 and entered land on section 4. He cleared a small tract of land, then sold out and returned to Indiana. A few years later he came back and settled on sections 27 and 28. He now lives in Knox Co., Neb.
James H Robinson, a native of Indiana, came here in 1854 and settled on section 4. He was a single man at the time, but married soon after. He lived here a number of years, then sold out and removed to Nebraska, where he holds the office of postmaster of his town.
Hubert Matthews, a native of France, came here from Ohio in 1854 and entered land on section 13. In 1859 he settled on section 22. When the Rebellion broke out, he enlisted in the army and died in the service. His widow still occupies the old homestead.
James Willey, a native of England, came from Iowa county in 1854 and settled on sections 17 and 20. He has since lived on section 20.
Thomas Hardy, a native of Virginia, came from Indiana in 1855 and settled on section 16, where he lived until the time of his death.
James Lucas, a native of Ohio, came here from Indiana in 1855 and purchased 320 acres of land on sections 4 and 9. He settled on section 9, where he still lives.
Samuel B Goff, a native of Pennsylvania, came from Indiana in 1855 and entered land on section 6, where he lived until the time of his death.
In 1856 William Briggs, a native of Massachusetts, came from Illinois and bought the southwest quarter of section 3.
The first birth in the town was that of Rosanna, daughter of Delila (Alling) Hesler, born Feb. 19, 1847. She is now the wife of Albert Brenaman, and lives on Bird's creek.
Another early birth was that of Joseph, a son of Joel and Susanna (Bradbury) Doughhetee, born July 5, 1850. He is now living in Missouri.
The first child in the town born of Norwegian parents was Jennie, a daughter of George and Annie Shelbern born Jan. 4, 1854.
The first marriage in the town was that of Mark Bird to Lucinda Alexander, in 1848. They settled in Oregon, where she died and he still lives.
Another early marriage was that of Daniel Bird to Maria Alexander, in 1850. The ceremony was performed by T H Doughhetee, justice of the peace, at the residence of the bride's parents on section 33. They settled in Oregon, where they were still living when last heard from.
The first death in the town --- or one of the first, at least --- was that of John Richardson, in 1850. He was attempting to cross the millpond about a mile north of the mill, in search of deer, and was caught in the brush and drowned. His body was recovered in a short time, and buried on section 27. He was a single man , and had come from Massachusetts. In company with a man named La Rue, he had a claim on section 27.
The first election in the town, and some claim in the county, was held at the house of Mathew Alexander, in the southeast quarter of section 33, in the fall of 1848. There were nineteen votes polled.
In 1844 (some claim 1845) the commissioners of Iowa county appointed James Murphy and two others to select a county seat of Richland county. They came and selected the northwest fractional quarter of section 2, town 8, range 1 west, now included in the town of Eagle, for the prospective seat of justice. About one year later Francis A Hill surveyed a village here, laying out lots and blocks. It was named Monongahela. For a time Ambrose E Parrish ran a saloon here, but everything connected with the village has long since passed away.
The town of Eagle was organized in 1853. The first town meeting was held in April of that year, when the following named were elected officers: Supervisors, C G Rodolf, chairman, Josiah Newburn and Thomas E Hesler; clerk, L B Palmer; treasurer, James Appleby; school superintendent, G D Sharp; justices of the peace, Thomas Palmer and Josiah Newburn; constable, William Sharp; assessor, L B Palmer; overseers of highway, David D Miller and John Thompson.
At the annual election held at the Basswood school house, April 3, 1883, the following were chosen as town officers for the succeeding year: Supervisors, J M Craigo, chairman, Theodore Wheaton and William Hall; clerk, Horatio Cornwall; treasurer, Thomas Rummery; assessor, D C Doughhetee; justices, J M Craigo, Horatio Cornwall, Frank Ward and John Bovee; constables, H M Hardy and John Dillon.
The first school house in district No. 1 was erected in 1856. It was built of hewn logs, and located on section 10. The first school was taught by Newton Wells, the term commencing Jan. 1, 1857. About 1868 the school house was burned and a temporary building was erected on the northeast quarter of section 9 which was used until 1876. At that time the present neat frame building was erected at a cost of $450. Mary Hamilton was the first teacher in the present building. Lillie Wood was the teacher in 1883.
The first school house in district No. 2 was erected in 1857 --- a frame building on the northwest quarter of section 32. Harriet Hunger was the first teacher. In 1870 the building was sold and is now used as a stable. During the same year the present school house was erected on the southwest quarter of section 29, the site having been donated to the district by George Kite for a term of ninety-nine years. Olive Craigo is the present teacher. This is known as the Kite district.
No. 3 is know as the "Eagle Corner's district." The first school house in this district was a log one located on section 28, erected in 1858. Frances Prevett was the first teacher. The school house was afterwards moved to Eagle Corners and was in use until 1868, when a frame building was erected in which Alexander Breneman was the first to teach. Frank Giles is the present teacher.
The first school house in district No. 4 was erected on the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 6, in 1858. Francis Gault was the first teacher. The old school house was used until 1882, when the present house was completed. Katie Dorgan was the first teacher in this building and Ida Allison is the present teacher. This is usually called the "Gault district."
The first school in district No. 5 was taught by L M Thorpe in a log building, erected by the neighborhood for the purpose, on section 23. The building was in use until after the war, when the present school building was erected on the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter of section 24. Mary Edwards was the first teacher in the present building. This is generally known as the "Pleasant Hill school house."
The first school house in district No. 6 was erected on the southeast quarter of section 11, in 1857. Frances Prevett, now Mrs. James Sharp, was the first teacher in this building. The present school house was erected in 1880. It is a neat frame building located on the southwest quarter of section 12. Martha Potts was the first teacher in this building.
The first school house in district No. 8 was erected in 1856 [or 1857] on the northwest quarter of section 35. John Hendricks was one of the first teachers in this house. This building was afterward removed to Rodolf's mill where it was used until 1880, when it was destroyed by fire, and the present house was erected near the old site. Miss I Rhodes was the first teacher in this building, and Henry Brenaman, the present.
The first school in district No. 9 was taught by Wilson Crandall in the winter of 1861-2 in a vacant log house located on section 21. In 1862 a school house was erected on the northeast quarter of the northwest quarter of section 21. It was erected of Basswood logs, and it was from this fact that this locality took the name "Basswood." Enos Cornwall was the first teacher. The present school building was erected in 1867, and Alexander Brenaman taught the first school within its walls. Charles Cronwall is the present teacher.
In 1839 Robert Boyd and Monroe Fleming came here from Iowa county and made a claim of the southwest quarter of section 26, including the excellent mill site on what is now called Mill creek. This was probably the first claim taken within the limits now comprising the town of Eagle. They made but little improvements, and in 1841 the claim was jumped by Thomas J Parrish. Boyd and Fleming were lumbermen and raftmen. Boyd afterward settled in Crawford county, where he laid out the village of Boydstown.
In 1841 and 1842, Thomas J Parrish, in company with a Mr. Estes, erected a saw-mill upon the site --- the first in the county. An old fashioned "up and down saw," together with one run of stone for grinding corn, was put into the mill. In January, 1848, the mill was destroyed by fire. Mr. Parrish had died a short time previous to this, and the property was sold to Henry Moore. He rebuilt the mill and furnished it like its predecessor with an "up and down saw" and one run of stone. In 1852 C G Rodolf purchased a half interest, and shortly afterward a rotary saw was put in. Mr. Rodolf bought Mr. Moore's interest, and in 1857 and 1858 erected a substantial building, 30x40 feet in size, putting in two run of stone. It was run as a custom and merchant mill, flour being shipped to Milwaukee and other large markets. In January, 1869, the mill was destroyed by fire. Mr. Rodolf rebuilt immediately, erecting a building 30x40 feet in size, and two stories in height. Two run of buhrs were put into the mill, and all other machinery in use in that day. In February, 1874, this mill was burned. The interesting litigation which grew from this is treated at length in the chapter upon "courts." In 1877 Frank G Rodolf, a son of Charles G, purchased a half interest in the property, and they erected the present mill, which is 34x46 feet in size, three stories in height, and stone basement. The mill is equipped with four run of buhrs, and all other necessary machinery for the manufacture of first-class flour.
In 1852 Simon Sharp and Henry Miller erected a saw-mill on section 13, and equipped it with an "up and down saw." The power was derived from Hoosier creek, a dam of brush and earth being constructed. In 1853 Sharp & Miller sold to Oliver Miller. He operated the mill until 1867, when he sold to Isaac Thompson and John McCormack. Mr. Thompson purchased McCormack's interest in 1870, and ran the mill until 1876, when he abandoned that mill, and, in company with S C McClintock, purchased a steam mill and set it up near the old water power. Mr. McClintock purchased his partner's interest in 1882.
In 1854 John Crandall, a Baptist preacher, held services at John Thompson's house on section 23. He was a pioneer in the northern part of the county, and was instrumental in the establishment of a number of religious organizations in this region; but he did not organize a society here.
The first Methodist class was organized at the house of Josephus Cooper, on section 28, by Rev. Hyatt [or Rev. Schoonover, as some claim]. The following were among the members: Josephus Cooper and wife, Henry Miller and wife, Mrs. C Thompson and William Cooper. Josephus Cooper was the first class leader. The class was in existence but a few years.
Preachers of different denominations have preached at the school house in district No. 6. Rev. Mathers, the pioneer Presbyterian, was among the first to preach here.
In 1857 a Methodist Episcopal class was organized here by Rev. John Walker. The following were among the members of this class: Gideon Miller and wife, James Lewis and wife, and Mrs. M Young. Gideon Miller was the class leader. This class flourished for some time, holding meetings in the school house. During the war it suspended, as some of the members moved away. Revs. Knapp, Blackhurst and Burlingame were among the pastors who served this class.
Pleasant Valley Christian Church was organized at the Basswood school house in the winter of 1866-7. Rev. Jacob Mark was the preacher. The following were among the first members: Horatio Cornwall and wife, W H Cooper, Mrs. Keplogle and two daughters, William Briggs and wife, and son Marvin. During the summer of 1866 a successful protracted meeting was held at which fourteen were baptized. The society met at the school house for some years. In 1874 they erected a neat frame church at Eagle Corners, at a cost of $650. The church now has about twenty members. J B Newburn is the present clerk. Rev. James Keeper is the present pastor.
The Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church was organized in 1851 by Rev. William Smith, from Sextonville, at the old log school house on section 23. The following were among the early member: George D Sharp and wife, Cyrus Sharp and wife, Mrs. Mary Sharp, William Robinson and wife, William Miller and two sons, George and John Miller and wives, Mrs. Sarah Perrine, Mrs. Abraham Beard and Henry Dawson and wife. The following were elected elders --- George D Sharp, William Robinson and Cyrus Sharp. Rev. Smith preached for the society one year. Among those who have filled the pulpit since that time are Revs. Overton, Laughlin, Conley, Smith, Pinkerton, Francis, Sherwin and Sparrow. Rev. Thomas Murphy is the present pastor. The society met for worship in the school house until 1854, when they erected a frame church on the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter of section 24. The society has flourished and now has about ninety members. The present elders are: William Robinson, William Irving McCoy, Monroe Robinson, Thomas M Miller and D W Bear. Monroe Robinson is the clerk.
A sabbath school was organized in connection with the Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church at an early day, with George D Sharp as first superintendent. He was followed by D A Hurlbert, who held the position until the time of his death. Monroe Robinson is the present superintendent; the school meets every Sunday.
United Brethren Church Humility Chapel. This class was organized by Rev. George kite soon after the war. The following were among the first members: Alexander Shannon and wife, Clarissa Shannon, Sarah Evans, Sarah Endicott and Susan Dillon. Alexander Shannon was the first class leader. The following are among the pastors who have filled the pulpit here: Revs. Mebbit, Potts, Young, Whitney, Pound, Day, Taylor, Bovee and Giffen. Rev. Wood is the present pastor. In 1882 the society commenced the erection of a church edifice which was dedicated Sept. 9, 1883, by Bishop Weaver, of Toledo.
Dawson's cemetery was surveyed by James Appleby in September, 1881. It is located on the southeast corner of the northeast quarter of section 26, and contains eighty-eight blocks, eighty of which contain ten lots each, and eight five lots each. The first burial here was of the remains of Mrs. Henry Dawson, who selected the spot before she died.
Pleasant Hill cemetery, on section 23, is under the control of the Presbyterian Church. The land was donated by William Robinson and set aside for this purpose in 1851. The first burial here was of the remains of George W Miller, who died Aug. 30, 1855.
James Harvey was the first to engage in mercantile trade at Eagle Corners. He opened his establishment in 1879.
J Lawrence and son opened their stock of goods in 1882.
C C Taylor was the first blacksmith, opening a shop in 1878-9. This branch is now represented by Jacob Stetler and William Ware.
William Smith was the first wagon maker, opening here in 1876. This was the first business established at the "Corners."
Eagle Corners postoffice was established in February, 1870, with J B Newburn as postmaster, and the office at his house. It was on the route from Muscoda to Excelsior, mail then being received once each week. John A Lawrence is the present postmaster, keeping the office at his store.
Eagle Lodge No. 313, IOOF, at Eagle Corners, was organized on April 18, 1883. The following were the charter members: James Richardson, Horatio Cornwall, James Lewis, Oliver Shephard, Cassius M Collins, Jacob Stetler, James Tisdale, John M Craigo, John Goff, William Ware and Lewis Craigo. The first officers elected were: James Richardson, N G; John Goff, V G; Oliver Shepard, secretary; Horatio Cornwall, warden; James Lewis, conductor; C M Collins, treasurer. The lodge meets at Lawrence's hall, Eagle Corners.
Robert W Peters was the first to engage in mercantile trade at Basswood. In 1869 he put a stock of goods in the one room of his dwelling, opening a country general merchandise store. A few years later he put up a building 18x26 feet in size, and took in John Blickenstaff as a partner. Six months later he sold out to his partner, and a few weeks afterward bought the establishment again. He continued the business until 1873, when he closed out his stock.
The next to engage in business here were McIntire & Eleston. Mr. McIntire soon bought his partner's interest. In 1883 Joseph S Peters purchased an interest, and now runs the store. Mr. McIntire is in trade in Muscoda.
Norman W Bennett established a blacksmith shop here in 1879, erecting a two-story building. He has since done a flourishing business.
In 1881 R C Brown and C F Wallace put in operation a steam saw-mill, which is still running.
The United Brethren Church was organized at the Basswood school house in December, 1865, by Rev. George Kite. The following were among the members: James Willey and wife, Charles Johnson and wife, William Warren and wife, Mrs. Thomas Goff and Mrs. William Briggs. Charles Johnson was the first class leader. Among the preachers who have held services here are the following: Revs. Young, Potts, Day, Taylor, Bovee, Whitney and Hood. At present no regular services are held.
The Basswood cemetery was laid out in 1861, on section 16. The land was donated by Thomas Hardy and Mrs. Francis Keplogle, each giving half an acre. The first burial was of the remains of a child of Thomas Hardy. The ground has never been surveyed, and the cemetery is free to all citizens of the town. At a meeting held for the purpose, James Lucas, Charles Johnson and Thomas Rummery were elected trustees. Subscriptions were solicited and money raised to fence the grounds.
Basswood postoffice was established in 1869. Jacob Bear was appointed first postmaster, but before he got his commission he sold his farm and moved away. James Lucas was therefore appointed in his stead. Robert Peters was the next postmaster, keeping the office at his store. The next was Joseph Stanley, who kept the office at his house on section 9. Robert Peters succeeded Mr. Stanley. He has deputized his son Joseph, and the office is kept at his store.
Among the early settlers and the residents of to-day in Richland county, there are none more noted for their energy, enterprise and thrift, than those in the town of Eagle.
Frank G Rodolf was born at Centerville, Iowa Co., Wis., March 3, 1847. His early education was received in the public schools of Richland county and advanced by a two years term at the State University at Madison. In 1865 he, in company with A. Schmidt, engaged in the mercantile trade at Richland Center. In 1866 he purchased his partner's interest and continued the business there until 1868, then moved to Eagle and opened a store near the mill. In 1869 he purchased an interest in the water power of his father, erected a saw-mill and engaged in the lumber trade. In 1872 he closed out the mercantile business and devoted his attention to his mill and farm. In 1876, in company with his father, he erected the flour mill of which he is sole manager. He is also quite extensively engaged in raising stock and hogs. He has the largest hog house in the county. It is 24x100 feet, and two stories in height. He usually keeps about 150 hogs and fifty head of horned cattle. He was joined in marriage, in 1868, to Mary Riel. She was born in Sandusky, Ohio. They have five children --- Winifred, Charlie, Frank, Idell and an infant.
Thomas Goff (deceased) son of George and Mary (Manear) Goff, early settlers of Richland county, was born in Randolph Co., Va., May 16, 1828. He was but two years old when his parents emigrated to the territory of Arkansas, where they lived three years, then moved to Missouri and settled in Washington county and remained until 1848, when they came to Wisconsin and located in Richland county, which was at that time a new country, and was attracting the attention of emigrants. The subject of this sketch lived with his parents until his marriage, June 12, 1855, to Sarah Wood. She was born in Randolph Co., Va., within two miles of the birthplace of her husband. They had never met, however, until after coming to Wisconsin. At the time of his marriage, he settled upon land that he had bought on section 15, town of Eagle. It was heavily timbered, and he has cleared a good farm, which is watered by Mill creek. It is well adapted to raising both grain and stock. His death occurred on April 5, 1881. He left four children --- John, Adeline, Emmet and Andrew. Andrew was born Jan. 20, 1865, and died Aug. 24, 1881. Mrs. Goff and her son Emmet occupy the homestead.
William Miller, (deceased), the first settler of Hoosier Hollow, was a veteran of the War of 1812. He was born in Anderson Co., Ky., in January, 1795, and was married to Charlotte Dawson, a native of Anderson county. In 1829, with two or three other families, they started for Indiana, taking their household goods on flat boats, floating down the Kentucky river to the Ohio, down the Ohio to the mouth of the Wabash river. At that point their boats were attached to a steamer and towed up stream as far as Lafayette. From there they continued their journey over land to Clinton county, where they located and were pioneers. They purchased government land, improved a farm and resided there until 1849. In that year Mrs. Miller died, and Mr. Miller went to Richland Co., Wis., where he entered large tracts of land in town 9, range 1 west, now known as the town of Eagle. He built a house on the southeast quarter of section 23, and returned to Indiana. In September of that year he came back to Wisconsin with his family. Some of his children who came with him were married, and he settled them upon land that he had entered for them. Mr. Miller and his family were members of the Presbyterian Church and assisted in the organization of the Pleasant Hill Church. He died in 1879. His son John was born in Kentucky in 1818. He was married in Indiana to Hannah J Hayes, a native of Ohio. They came to Richland county with his father in 1849, and settled on section 13, where they lived a few years and then traded for a farm on section 23, where they lived until the time of his death which occurred in 1865. He left seven children, six of whom are now living --- Thomas M, James L, Mary E, Leoma C, Jefferson H and William H. Thomas M, the oldest son now living, was born in Clinton Co., Ind., Feb. 25, 1844, and was five years old when he began pioneer life in Richland county. He assisted his father in the clearing of a farm, and attended the pioneer schools. He was married in 1867 to Rebecca I, daughter of George and Rebecca Slater, pioneers of Richland county. She was also a native of Clinton county. They first settled on section 23 and later on section 34. In 1875 he bought a farm on section 24. A portion of this land was cleared and upon it was a frame house partly completed. He completed the house and has since cleared quite a tract of land, and is engaged in raising stock and grain. Mr. and Mrs. Miller have three children --- Edith I, John L and Joseph G.
William Cooper, one of the pioneers of Richland county, was born in Butler Co., Penn., March 21, 1801, where his youth was spent. He was married in 1823 to Martha Clark, also a native of Butler county and born in April, 1802. He purchased a tract of land and cleared a farm, living on the same for six years, when he sold out and engaged in selling goods on the road for two years. He then worked on the Chenango canal three years, when he went to Ohio and was employed on the Maumee canal one year, then went to Indiana and engaged in farming one year in Clinton county. In 1849 he made his first visit to Richland county and purchased the east half of the northwest quarter of section 11. After a short time he returned to Indiana and remained until 1850. Then with a team, accompanied by his family, and taking their household goods along with them, started for their new home. At that time there was no settlement in the neighborhood of his land, and he purchased another tract on section 26, cleared a portion of the same and remained there until 1869, then sold out and moved to Muscoda, and made a contract with the Government to carry the mail between Muscoda, Readstown and Viroqua, and was thus employed four years. For the past few years he has made his home with his son William. He is now eighty-three years old and retains his faculties to a remarkable degree. His wife died in June, 1857, leaving twelve children, six sons and six daughters. Three of the sons served in the Union army --- John Wesley enlisted in the fall of 1862, in the 20th Wisconsin, company H, and went south, and died while in the service, at Springfield, Mo., March 23, 1863. William H was born in Mercer Co., Penn., June 25, 1836, and came to Richland county with his parents. He was married July 9, 1857, to Amy Eliot, who was born in Darke Co., Ohio, Oct. 17, 1840. In 1863 he settled on his present farm. He enlisted in February, 1864, in the 14th Wisconsin, company K, went south and joined Sherman at Big Shantie, Ga. He served until Oct. 9, 1865, when he was discharged at Mobile, Ala. The following are among the important battles in which he participated: "Big Shantie, Baker's Ridge, Atlanta, Ezra Church, Jonesboro, Lovejoy Station, Nashville and Spanish Fort. While in the service he lost his health, and has never fully recovered, but has devoted his time since his return to improving his land. He has three children --- Isaiah L, Thomas W and Lucy A. His brother, Thomas M, enlisted in 1861 in the 5th Wisconsin, company H. He was sixteen years old at the time, served sixteen months and was discharged on account of disability. He re-enlisted in December, 1863, in the 3d Wisconsin, company H, joined Sherman's command, and was with on his march to the sea, through the Carolinas and thence to Washington where he was discharged in August, 1865.
George Slater, one of the early settlers of Richland county, was born in the State of Maryland. When he was quite young his parents emigrated to Indiana and settled in Clinton county. Here the subject of this sketch commenced pioneer life and spent his early days. He was married Feb. 7, 1847, to Rebecca Beard, a native of Washington Co., W. Va. In 1850 he visited Richland county and entered land on sections 22 and 23, and returned to Indiana. During the fall of the same season, in company with Abraham Beard and Joseph Hays he started for his new home accompanied by his family. They came overland with teams which was the usual mode of travel at that time, bringing household goods and provisions with them, camping out wherever night overtook them. Upon arrival, he at once erected a log cabin, and commenced clearing. A few years later he built a frame house. In 1861 he sold this farm and bought another on section 34, where he made his home until the time of his death, which occurred in January, 1862. Mrs. Slater died July 4, 1880. There are six of their children now living --- Rebecca J, William J, Harriet M, Julia E, Sarah L and George R. William J, was born in the town of Eagle, Feb. 21, 1852, and here grew to manhood, receiving his education in the district schools, advanced by two terms at Beloit College. He was married Sept. 11, 1877, to Eudora Dosch. She was born in the town of Richwood. They have two children --- Della and Don Juan. George R was born, also, in the town of Eagle, Feb. 21, 1860. He has always lived on the homestead which he now occupies, in company with his brother, William J.
Joseph Powell was one of the early explorers of Richland county, having come here in 1851, at which time he remained about ten weeks, and returned to his home in Indiana. He made the trip overland. At this time he purchased land on Blue river, in Grant county, and, having made up his mind to settle there, he loaded his household goods in two wagons, and taking seven or eight horses and a lot of stock, started for Wisconsin. After five weeks' travel, camping out on the roadside at night, he reached Richland county. He spent a short time with Alonzo Carson, in the town of Richwood, while he built a house upon his land, into which he moved on Christmas day. He cleared quite a tract of this land, and lived there five years, when he sold and bought timber land in Watertown, near his first farm, of which he cleared quite a large tract, and resided there until 1866, when he sold and came to Eagle, and purchased his present farm, which is now one of the best in the "banner town" of the county. It is located on section 30, and has seventy-two acres under cultivation. He has erected a good frame house and other buildings. He has been twice married, first to Rebecca J Carson, Dec. 30, 1849. She was born in Tippecanoe Co., Ind., and died in April, 1881, leaving five children --- John C, Margaret A, Amy J, Mary C and Asher T. He was again married Nov. 15, 1883, to Martha J Sullivan, widow of Abram Elliott. She has one child by her former marriage - Bertha May. Mr. Powell was born in Gallia Co., Ohio, May 18, 1823. When he was eight years old his parents moved to Indiana, and were early settlers in Tippecanoe county. His father purchased land a few miles from Lafayette. He was a baker by trade, and opened a shop in that town. His father died when he was eighteen years old, after which he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits in Tippecanoe county until 1851.
William Robinson, a well known early settler of the town of Eagle, is a native of Kentucky, born in Franklin, six miles from the State capital, Oct. 23, 1808. Here his early days were spent. In 1829 he, in company with his parents, emigrated to Indiana and were among the early settlers of Tippecanoe county. His father purchased timber land in Tippecanoe and Clinton counties. The subject of this sketch returned to Kentucky in the fall of 1832, and was married in Anderson county to Rebecca Richardson, and came back to Clinton county and began clearing a farm. In 1850 he came to Richland county with the Miller brothers, to assist them in moving here. He was at that time favorably impressed with the country, and, although it was a wild, unsettled region, inhabited by Indians and wild beasts, he thought it must become settled at no distant day, and he entered 160 acres on section 24, the northeast quarter. In 1852 he sold his farm in Indiana, and started with his family for their new home. They took two wagon loads of goods and two pairs of horses. They reached their destination after traveling fourteen days and moved into a vacant log house near by until he could cut logs and build one on his own land. As soon as it was completed, he commenced the clearing of a farm. The next year he purchased land adjoining his, on the northwest quarter of section 24, and there, in 1855, erected the first frame dwelling in the town, the same that he still occupies. It is a commodious, two story building, and has always been kept in good repair. He has also built a good frame barn and other buildings. His farm is located in the neighborhood known as Hoosier Valley. Mrs. Robinson died May 18, 1860, leaving seven children --- James, Silas, Sarah J, Benjamin, Monroe, Mary and Ann. He was again married in 1861, to Mary Shuler, a native of Lycoming Co., Penn. Two children have blessed this union --- Robert and Edwin. Robert was born Dec. 26, 1862. His younger days were spent in school and on the farm. He was married Nov. 15, 1883, to Mary, daughter of John and Eliza Mainwarring. He lives at home and manages the farm.
Jeremiah B Newburn, a pioneer of the town of Eagle, first visited the county in 1852 and bought a claim of C G Rodolf, located on section 33, town 9, range 1 west, in what is now the town of Eagle. He remained a short time and returned to his home in Edgar Co., Ill. The following June he started, taking his family and a pair of horses and a wagon, which held their household goods, and camped at night by the roadside. His wife and oldest daughter drove the stock, while he attended to the horses. They were twenty days in making the journey. On reaching their destination, they remained at his brother's until he could build a cabin. The family lived in this cabin several years, when he built a frame house, which was consumed by fire in 1875. He then erected his present dwelling. He is a native of Pennsylvania, born Dec. 2, 1814. When but two years of age he had the misfortune to be bitten by a snake, and in consequence was a cripple for fourteen years, and not being able to work, he improved the time by studying, and thus obtained an education. When he was seventeen year old, his parents removed to Ohio and settled in Muskingum county, which at that time was attracting the attention of settlers, and there the subject of this sketch began his pioneer life. He was married in 1838 to Caroline Mapes, who was born in Perrytown, Muskingum Co., Ohio; born Aug. 11, 1822. In 1840 they moved to Pike Co., Ohio, where he purchased timber land and partially cleared a farm, remaining there until 1845 when he sold out and again started westward, settling then in Edgar Co., Ill. when he again purchased timber land and partially cleared a farm. He lived there until 1852, the year in which he came to Richland county. Mr. and Mrs. Newburn are the parents of three children --- Margaret, William and Mary E. Mr. Newburn was appointed postmaster at Eagle Corners, Feb. 28, 1870, and remained in office until he resigned in favor of John A Lawrence, Dec. 31, 1882.
William Pickering, one of the pioneers of Richland county, was born in Cheshire, England, Feb. 18, 1818. He emigrated to America in the fall of 1847, coming to Jefferson Co., Wis., in the spring of 1848, and hiring out as a farm laborer until the fall of 1849. Having purchased two land warrants for 160 acres each, he started out to find government land; came to Richland county and located timbered land on sections 8 and 9, of town 9 north, of range 1 west, now known as the town of Eagle. The same fall (1849), he returned to England to visit friends, coming back to Milwaukee, Wis., in the spring of 1850. He then purchased a team and wagon and engaged in carrying emigrants and merchandise from Milwaukee to different parts of the State. Mr. Pickering was married in the fall of 1851 to Mary J Binks, also a native of England. He engaged in farming for one year in Racine Co., Wis. In the winter of 1852-3, he again came to Richland county, and erected a log cabin on his land and moved his family from Racine county into the same in the spring of 1853. He immediately commenced clearing land and raised a crop of corn and garden vegetables the same year. He has since cleared over 160 acres of land, built a good frame house, two barns and a store house, and is engaged in raising grain and stock. He feels a deep interest in good horses and cattle, and has taken many first premiums at the Richland County Agricultural Fair, of which association he is a life member. Mr. and Mrs. Pickering have two children --- John W and Charles R; both have taught in the public schools of Richland county, and the latter is at present a student at (and will soon graduate from) the State Normal School at Platteville, Wis.
Hubert Mathews, one of the early settlers of Richland county, was born in France, Jan. 7, 1820. When quite young he learned the weaver's trade, and worked at the same until 1841, then left his native land and came to America. He went directly to Ohio, and was there married in December to Mary A Durrstein. She was born in France, April 6, 1823. He engaged in farming during the summer season and in the winter was employed in weaving, his wife assisting him. In a few years, by continuous hard labor, they saved enough money to purchase a farm of fifty-three acres in Tuscarawas Co., Ohio, where they lived until 1854, then sold out and started west to seek a home; coming to Richland county, then rented a farm in Hoosier Hollow until 1859, then purchased eighty acres on section 22, town of Eagle, where he commenced clearing a farm. He enlisted Feb. 25, 1864, in the 36th Wisconsin, company B, and went south; was taken prisoner at the battle of the Wilderness, June 1, 1864, and was confined in Andersonville prison until December, when, in a dying condition he was discharged. A few days later he died, weakened and reduced to a mere shadow by hunger and exposure. He left a wife with nine children, the youngest less than one year old, but his wife, with the assistance of the children, continued to clear away the timber and till the soil, and has since erected a good frame house and barn. Eight of the children are now married. The youngest son, Thomas, makes his home with his mother and manages the farm.
William Recob was an early settler of the town of Eagle. He came here from Indiana in 1854, making the journey by rail as far as Warren, Ill., and the remainder of the distance by team. He purchased the southeast quarter of section 11, town 9, range 1 west. Having left his family at Orion, he pushed on through the woods, chopped a road to a suitable location for a dwelling and built a log cabin. He then returned to Orion for his family. He was fond of hunting, and a good marksman. Game was plenty and he had abundant opportunities for displaying his skill. One winter he killed fourteen deer. He was engaged in clearing land and farming until 1864. He enlisted in February of that year in company B, 36th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, joined the Army of the Potomac, and participated in many of the important battles of the campaign, from that time until the close of the war. He received an injury in his spine at Appomattox, the day before the surrender of Lee, being struck by a horse while crossing a ravine. It resulted in paralysis from which he was confined to his bed four years. He bore his sufferings patiently. Death came to his relief Sept. 9, 1881. Mr. Recob was born in Ross Co., Ohio, Dec. 17, 1820. His younger days were spent on the farm and in school, where he obtained a liberal education. When a young man he emigrated to Indiana, and located in Tippecanoe county, where he was married in 1845 to Mary A Wilson, who was born in Butler Co., Ohio, April 2, 1826. Twelve children blessed their union, eight of whom are now living --- Leonidas, Amanda A, Margaret E, Emily L, Lycurgus, Mary S, Orlando B and Effie L. Alvaretta was born March 16, 1854, and died in 1871; Zella A was born Dec 8, 1857, and died in March, 1876. Two children died in infancy. Mrs. Recob and some of her children now occupy the homestead, where they have a comfortable and pleasant home.
Henry H Hurless, one of the pioneers of the town of Bloom, was born in Virginia, Oct. 15, 1824. His mother died when he was eleven years old. Two years later his father emigrated to Indiana, settled in Clinton county and purchased timber land, which the subject of this sketch assisted in clearing. When he was eighteen years old his father died, but he continued to live there until 1854. At that date he came to Richland county and entered land on section 19, of town 11, range 1 west, now known as Bloom. He erected two log houses and commenced clearing. He was an unmarried man then, and a part of the time kept his own house. He soon sold his land and bought again in the town of Forest, and again sold, and purchased a large tract of timber land which he began clearing. In 1865 he came to Eagle and selected a farm on section 29, on which were about thirty-five acres of cleared land. He now has ninety-five acres cleared, with good buildings, including a frame house, barn and granary. His farm is considered one of the finest in Richland county. He was married July 20, 1856, to Eliza, daughter of Rev. John H and Rhoda (Little) Crandall.
John Huston, an early settler in Eagle, was born in county Antrim, Ireland, and was there married in 1846 to Jane Thompson. In 1849 they emigrated to America and lived in New York city until 1854, then came to Richland county and bought land on section 12, town of Eagle, and have since made this their home. Their son William was born in New York city, Aug.19, 1853, and was but an infant when his pioneer life began in Richland county. Here he grew to manhood. His younger days being spent much like other farmer's sons, assisting on the farm and attending the district school. He was married in 1875 to Emma Smith. She was born in Dane county, where her parents were early settlers. Four children have blessed this union --- John L, Imogene, Sarah J and Ida May. At the time of his marriage they settled on his present farm on section 12. He has erected a good set of buildings, including a neat frame house.
Samuel Ferebee, one of the pioneers of Richland county, was born on the banks of the Yadkin river, in that part of Rowan known as Davie Co., NC, Aug. 23, 1816. Here he grew to manhood and was brought up on a farm. He made his home there with his parents until 1838, when he went to Indiana and commenced pioneer life in Madison county. He purchased heavily timbered land and made a small improvement. In 1844 he was married to Elizabeth Ann Chitwood. She was born in Fayette Co., Ind., April 24, 1827. In the fall of 1844 they settled on the Miami reservation. He purchased timbered land on the Wild Cat river, erected a log house, cleared a farm and lived there until 1855, when he came to Richland county and settled in town 9, range 2 west, now known as the town of Richwood. The next year he traded his property in Indiana for timber land on section 27 of the town of Richwood. He built a frame house, 18x24 feet to which he afterward made an addition. He cleared and fenced sixty-five acres of land, and in 1874 sold out, came to the town of Eagle and purchased land on section 28 and has since made this his home. He has purchased land adjoining until now his farm contains 200 acres, and is considered one of the best in the county. Mr. and Mrs. Ferebee have nine children --- Thomas J, Francis, Nancy J, George B, William J, Samuel A, Mathias C, James M and Franklin J. A daughter named Elizabeth, died at the age of nine years. Three others died in infancy. Mr. Ferebee is a man of fair education, is a great reader, and thus keeps himself well posted on the topics of the times. He has given his children a good education.
Samuel B Gault, an early settler of the town of Eagle, was born in Lancaster Co., Penn. In his youth he emigrated with his parents to Ohio, and settled in Butler county, where he was married to Mary B Wilson, a native of that county. A few years later they removed to Tippecanoe Co., Ind., and lived until 1855. In that year they came to Richland county and settled in the town of Eagle. Here Mr. Gault died in 1870. His widow still lives at the homestead. Their son Francis was born in Butler Co., Ohio, in 1831. He came to Richland county with his parents, and worked at carpentering in the summer seasons and taught school during the winter. He enlisted in 1863 in the 72d Indiana regiment, and died in the service at Gallatin , Tenn. Henry Gault was born in Tippecanoe Co., Ind., in 1845, and was ten years old when his parents settled in the town of Eagle. He enlisted in November, 1864, in the 37th Wisconsin, company H, and was killed at the battle of Petersburg, Va. Edward W, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Gault, was born in Tippecanoe Co., Ind., in 1847, and came to Eagle at the age of eight years. Here he attended the district school and assisted his father in clearing a farm. He was married in 1872 to Susie Cook, a native of Ohio. He now occupies the homestead.
James Lucas, one of the most extensive farmers of Richland county, was an early settler in the town of Eagle. He came here in 1855 and purchased 320 acres of timber land on sections 4 and 9. He now owns 560 acres of land in the town of Eagle and 160 in the town of Richwood. He has engaged quite extensively in raising fine stock. He is also a lover of fine horses, and always drives a good team. He has traveled extensively and is well acquainted in different parts of the country. In 1861 he visited Pike's Peak and engaged in mining a few months. In 1880 he went to Texas, bought a pony and visited various parts of that country horseback. In 1882 he went to Nebraska and engaged in mercantile trade in the town of Cragton, but being confined indoors did not agree with his health, and he sold out and returned to his home. He is interested in real estate in that State, and now owns real estate in Knox and Pierce counties. His farm is well watered by a branch of Mill creek that flows through it. He has a good set of buildings, including a frame house and barn. He is a native of Ohio, born in Ross county, Nov. 3, 1827. When he was three years of age his father died, and he soon after went to live with an older sister in Tippecanoe Co., Ind., and there grew to manhood. In 1850 he went to California, where he engaged in mining a short time, then returned to Indiana. He was joined in marriage in 1851 to Mary Pelers. She was born in Tippecanoe Co., Ind. He then rented a farm in Tippecanoe county until 1851, then came to Richland county, as before stated. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Lucas, tow of whom are now living --- Sarah O and Olive E. Lillie, their youngest daughter, was born in April, 1864. She was married to T S Shaffer. She died in 1883, leaving one child, now at home with its grandparents. He is a lively, good hearted man, hospitable and much liked. He is well known in the county.
John Shaffer came to Richland county in company with his mother and grand-parents when but six years old. He made his home with them in the town of Forest, until seven years of age, when he came to Orion to make his home with Daniel Clinginsmith, a prominent merchant of that town. Here he attained his majority, receiving his education in the district school. When not in school he was employed in the store and on the farm. He was joined in marriage in 1871 to Mary Cornwall, who was born in Ohio. Then he settled on the Clinginsmith farm, which he now owns and occupies. It is located on section 36, now the town of Eagle, and is well improved, having a good frame house and two frame barns. Mr. Shaffer is an industrious and thorough farmer and always has everything in good order. Mrs. Shaffer died in 1875. Mr. Shaffer has held offices of public trust with honor to himself and satisfaction to the people, and to a remarkable degree has the respect and confidence of his fellowman.
George Hillberry, (deceased) one of the pioneers of the town of Sylvan, was born in Huntingdon Co., Penn., in December, 1807. Here he grew to manhood, being reared upon a farm. He was married in 1829 to Catharine Roberts, who was also a native of Huntingdon county, born in September, 1807. They remained in Pennsylvania about five years and then moved to Ohio and settled in Monroe county, where he purchased land and improved a farm, which was their home until 1856, when they came to Richland county and located in town 11, range 2 west, now the town of Sylvan. He bought land on section 21, built a log house and improved a farm. In 1864 he sold his farm and went to Colorado. He remained there but a short time, and returned to Richland county and purchased the northwest quarter of section 30, town of Eagle. He improved a farm, built a neat frame house, and made it his home until his decease, in May, 1878. He left a wife and seven children to mourn his loss. The children are --- David W, Mariam E, George H, Laban, Elizabeth, Alfred and Melissa. Mrs. Hillberry, with her son David and daughter Mariam, occupies the homestead. David was born in Huntingdon Co., Penn., and has always resided with his parents. Alfred Hillberry was born in Monroe Co., Ohio, June 4, 1844, and was twelve years old when his parents came to Richland county. In 1873 he settled upon land that he had previously bought on section 29, and lived there until 1880. He then bought the John Crandall farm, located on sections 31 and 32, on which were comfortable buildings, including a frame house. He still owns his farm on section 29, and has since purchased other land. He is engaged in raising stock and grain. He was married in 1875 to Ella, daughter of Stephen J and Emma (Ferris) Randall. They have four children --- Melissa, Elizabeth, Myrtle May and John Wesley.
Thomas Gunnell, deceased, a settler of 1856, was a native of England, born in Lincolnshire, May 19, 1827. Here he was reared to agricultural pursuits. In 1850 he left his native land and came to America and located at Ripon. He was joined in marriage here in 1854 to Ann Baird. She was born in county Mayo, Ireland, July 12, 1821. A few weeks after marriage they moved to Platteville, Grant Co., Wis., and remained there until 1856, then came to the town of Eagle and purchased a tract of timber land on section 12, and commenced clearing a farm. He enlisted Feb. 26, 1864, in company B, 36th Wisconsin, and joined the army of the Potomac, going immediately to the front. He was killed at the battle of Deep Bottom, Aug. 14, 1864. He left his widow and three children to mourn his loss --- Sarah A, Elizabeth J and John Leeman. Sarah is the wife of Dighton Wright. Elizabeth J married George Sharp. She died Dec. 29, 1882, leaving one child --- Ida, who now lives with her grandmother. John L was married to Kate Salmon. He has built a frame house near the homestead which he now occupies. Mrs. Gunnell, at her husband's death, assumed the management of the farm until her son was large enough to take charge.
William H Hall, a member of the board of supervisors, first came to Richland county in 1862. At that time he purchased a one-half interest in 270 acres of land on section 21. He was quite successful in farming and remained here eight years, then sold out with the intention of going to Missouri, but afterward changed his mind and went to Dane county and purchased a farm in the town of Windsor. Here his crops failed and after five years he sold out there and returned to the town of Eagle and purchased a farm of 170 acres, located on sections 10 and 15, and has since made this his home. He is a native of England, born in Somersetshire, July 7, 1834. When he was quite young his parents emigrated to America and located in Onandaga Co., NY, where he grew to manhood, being reared on a farm, getting his education in the public schools. In 1857 he first came to Wisconsin and spent a short time in Dane county, then returned to New York State and remained two years, then again returned to Dane county and was there married in 1860 to Keziah Burrington. She was born in Cuyahoga Co., Ohio. They remained in Dane county two years then came to Richland county, as before stated. They are the parents of two children --- Virtue and Mabel. He has been elected three times to his present office; he has also served as constable.
Erasmus Darwin Manning first settled in Wisconsin when it was a territory, locating in Sheboygan county, where he lived until 1851 except one winter spent in Green Bay. In the spring of 1851 in company with five others he started for California, traveling by water to St. Joseph, Mo., where they purchased ox teams and provisions. They were four months on the road. He engaged in mining there until late in 1852, then returned to Sheboygan county and purchased timber land in the town of Plymouth, commenced clearing and there made his home until 1858 when he came to Richland county and lived one year on Knapp's creek. He then purchased seventy acres on section 30, town of Eagle, built a log cabin and commenced clearing his present farm. He has been successful and has since purchased additional land and now owns 190 acres, 100 of which is now under cultivation. He is a native of the Empire State, born at Saratoga Springs Oct. 12, 1827. He received a good education in the public schools and at fifteen years old engaged in a tannery to learn the trade, and worked at this business in his native State until he came to the territory of Wisconsin. He was married Nov. 20, 1854, to Elizabeth Shauger who was born in Morris Co., NJ. Her parents were pioneers in Sheboygan county, where they still live. Mr. and Mrs. Manning have had five children --- William S, Mary Belle, Jessie E, Etta W and Eugene, who died when four years old. Mr. Manning has always taken a commendable interest in town affairs, has been town clerk and chairman of the board. Politically he adheres to the democratic party, but will not vote for a dishonest man if he knows it. He cast a vote for Abraham Lincoln for President, and always prefers the best men regardless of politics.
James D Weldy came to Richland county in 1858, and located in the town of Eagle, purchasing the east half of the northwest quarter of section 33. He cleared quite a tract of this land and then sold and bought the south half of the southeast quarter of section 16. He was not entirely satisfied with this farm and again sold and purchased the northeast of the northeast quarter of section 32, and twenty acres on section 29, where he made his home until the time of his death which occurred in May, 1882. He was a native of Virginia, born in Fluvanna county, March 4, 1813. When he was thirteen years old his parents moved to Ohio and lived in Ross county where they were pioneers. Seven years later they again started westward and became pioneers of Tippecanoe Co., Ind. They lived in Indiana until 1858, then came to Richland county as before stated. He left a widow and three children to mourn his death --- William, David and Ellen. The oldest son William lives in California. David owns and occupies the homestead; he was born in the town of Eagle in February, 1862, where he has always lived. He was married in January, 1883, to Lillie Kershner, who was born in the town of Orion. They have one child --- Floyd. Ellen is now the wife of George Hunter.
Horace Cornwall, (deceased) was born in the State of New York, April 21, 1813, and there attained his majority, obtaining his education in the public schools. He was married in 1836 to Diantha Burrington, who was born in Colerain, Franklin Co., Mass., July 18, 1818. Soon after marriage they emigrated to Ohio and settled at Doane's Corner, which is now a part of the city of Cleveland. He there engaged in teaming about a year and then moved to the town of Royalton, where he purchased a farm, remaining there until 1863. He came to Richland county in that year and purchased land of James Appleby on section 34 of the town of Eagle. Here with the assistance of his sons, he cleared a farm of nearly 100 acres and made this his home until the time of his death which occurred Dec. 6, 1883. Mrs. Cornwall occupies the homestead. She has nine children living --- Horatio, Matilda, Axsa, Horace, Irena, Albert, Mary, Martha and John. Their second son, Enos, was born in Royalton, Ohio, June 13, 1840. He lived with his parents in Ohio until 1860, when he came to Wisconsin and spent three years in Dane county, then came to Richland, and taught school in the Basswood school house, in the winter of 1863-4. In January, 1865, he enlisted in the 49th Wisconsin, company B, and went south. He died while in the service, at Rolla, Mo., July 28, 1865. Horatio, the eldest son, is the present town clerk. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio, March 6, 1838. He grew to manhood in the town of Royalton, Ohio, obtaining his education in the public schools. In 1862 he came to Wisconsin and rented a farm in Dane county, where he was married, Jan. 18, 1863, to Sophrona Johnson, who was born in Huron Co., Ohio. He came to Richland county in 1864. On Feb. 8, 1865, he enlisted in the 44th Wisconsin, company H, and went south, and was taken sick at Paducah, Ky., in April, and in June was discharged from the hospital at Jeffersonville, Ind., and returned home. He was unable to do any work until the following spring when he settled on the farm which is now his home. It is located on section 16. He was first elected town clerk in 1877, and has held the office continuously except in 1878, when he was chairman of the board. He has held the office of justice of the peace for several years. Mr. and Mrs. Cornwall have two children living --- Charles and Ella. Charles is a teacher in the public schools.
Thomas J Rummery, for the last nine years treasurer of the town of Eagle, is a native of England, born in Sussex county in 1835. When he was six years old his parents came to America, and settled in Cuyahoga Co., Ohio. His father purchased a farm in the town of Royalton, and there the subject of this sketch passed his younger days, obtaining his education in the public schools. In 1863 he came to Richland county and engaged in teaching, soon purchasing timber land on section 16, town of Eagle. He has since cleared a farm of about seventy acres, and erected a neat frame house and barn. His place is pleasantly located in the neighborhood known as Basswood. He was married first to Rosaline Johnson, who was born in Huron Co., Ohio, and died in 1873, leaving one child, who died three months after the death of its mother. He was again married in 1878 to Mary, daughter of Hubert and Mary Mathews. She was born in the town of Eagle, where her parents were early settlers. They have one child --- Martha Gertrude.
George W Waller first settled in Richland county in 1863, about the middle of April, having at that time purchased, in the town of Sylvan, 360 acres of land, partially timbered, with about fifty acres under cultivation; cleared forty or fifty acres, erected good buildings, and lived there until the spring of 1882. He then sold out and moved to Mill Creek, in the town of Akan, where he remained until fall, then purchased his present farm in the town of Eagle, which is pleasantly located in what is known as the Bethel school district, and is well improved. Mr. Waller was born in Greene Co., Penn., Sept. 4, 1812. When about four years of age his parents emigrated to Ohio, and settled in Monroe county, where they were among the first settlers. There he grew to manhood, receiving his education in the subscription schools, fitting himself for a teacher of the same kind of school --- sitting on a slab bench or stool, and writing on planks put on pins drove in the walls slantingly, and windows covered with greased paper; a fire-place, with a rousing big log heap fire. He was married March 8, 1838, to Sarah Johnson, born in Monroe Co., Ohio, March 25, 1819. In that county he purchased 200 acres of land, cultivated about 100 acres, and made that his home until 1863, when he sold out and came to Richland Co., Wis., as before stated. Mr. and Mrs. Waller are the parents of seven children --- Rachel, Sarah, Mary, David N, Deborah, Elizabeth and Susanna.
D W Bear started a blacksmith shop near Rodolf's mill in 1876. At that time he erected a building 20x31 feet. Since that year he has built on additions, until he has quite an extensive shop. Horse shoeing at first formed a considerable part of his business, but he has since given up that branch, and attends to general repair work in all its branches in wood and iron, and manufactures buggies. His shop is furnished with all the tools and machinery for this class of work. In 1883 he added to his business a stock of hardware, and later a stock of groceries. He was born in that part of Marion, now known as Richland Co., Ohio, April 9, 1848. When he was but an infant his parents emigrated to Wisconsin and located in Spring Green, Sauk county, where they were pioneers. His father purchased 100 acres of land and improved a farm, and five years later died there, and his widow married again after fourteen years. The subject of this sketch lived with his mother until eleven years old, then returned to Ohio and made his home with an uncle three years, and then returned to Spring Green and engaged with a brother-in-law at carpentering a short time, then the two years following he was engaged in farming. He enlisted in February, 1865, in the 47th Wisconsin, company E, went south and served until the following October, then returned home and in company with his sister opened a photograph gallery in Richland Center. A few months later he embarked in the same business in Muscoda, where he continued a few months, then went to Spring Green, engaged in a harness-shop, where he worked one year, then went to Prairie du Sac and engaged to learn the blacksmith trade; there he worked for three years, then came to Richland county and opened a shop in Ithaca, remaining there until 1875, when he went to Richland Center and worked as a journeyman for a time, then opened a shop and remained there until he went to the town of Eagle. He was married July 10, 1869, to Calinda Daniels. They have three children --- Ulysses, Lillie May and Daisy May. In 1876 he erected a neat cottage house, to which he has since made an addition, and now has a pleasant home. He and his wife are members of the Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church, of which he is an elder.
George F Roth was an early settler in Bear Den Hollow, town of Eagle. He was a native of Pennsylvania, born Nov. 22, 1818. When he was quite young his mother died, and his father with his family of six children emigrated to Indiana and settled in Blackford county. Here he was married March 12, 1846, to Barbara Leffler. She was born in Perry Co., Ohio. He had previously purchased land in Blackford county, and at the time of his marriage they settled on that land. He cleared a farm and remained there until 1856, then came to Richland county and entered land on section 17, town of Eagle, and commenced clearing a farm. He enlisted March 12, 1862, in company I, 19th Wisconsin. He died the 27th day of the same month at Racine, Wis. His body was brought home and laid to rest in Basswood cemetery. His wife was left with six small children to provide for. She was equal to the emergency, and these children are now all grown to man and womanhood. Mrs. Roth has purchased additional land and now has a comfortable home. The names of the children are --- Sarah E, Eliza J, Milton H, Rachel M, Daniel and Frances. Sarah E is now the wife of Cassius M C Collins. He was born in Cameron Co., Penn., in 1847. When but five years of age his parents emigrated to Wisconsin and settled in Sauk county. Here he made his home with his parents until March, 1864, when he enlisted in company A, 37th Wisconsin, and with the regiment joined the Army of the Potomac and participated in a number of engagements, of which we mention the following: battle of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor, Petersburg; his brigade was the first to make a charge after the mine explosion before Petersburg; Yellow Tavern, Ream's Station, Hatches Run and Five Forks. He was discharged in August, 1865, and returned home. In 1868 he came to Eagle, and two years later purchased his present farm on section 17. he was married Dec. 30, 1871. His father, John Collins, was also a soldier in the Union army. He enlisted in 1862 in the 17th Wisconsin, but was soon after transferred to the 11th Missouri Light Artillery. He died while in the service, at Cincinnati, Ohio, Aug. 7, 1862, while on his way home. He was born at Williamsport, Penn., in February, 1808. When quite young his parents moved to Clearfield county, where he grew to manhood. He was married in 1832 to Rosanna Jordan. They lived in Pennsylvania until 1852, then removed to Sauk Co., Wis., and purchased land in the town of Lavalle. Three years later he sold out and moved to Reedsburg, where he remained until the time of his enlistment. His son, Hugh, was born in Cameron Co., Penn., in 1845. He enlisted in 1861 in the 19th Wisconsin, company A, and joined the Army of the Potomac six months later. He was discharged on account of disability and returned home. He re-enlisted in January, 1864, in company D, 19th regiment, and served until the close of the war. He returned home sick, and died two years later. Mrs. Collins makes her home with her son, Cassius M C Collins, in the town of Eagle.
Theodore Wheaton came to Richland county in 1865 and settled. He was born in Monroe Co., Ohio, Dec. 11, 1846. His younger days were spent in school and on the farm. In the autumn following his sixteenth birthday, he enlisted in company D, of the 92d Ohio Volunteer Infantry, went south and joined Sherman's army at Chattanooga, was with him on his "march to the sea," and through the Carolinas to Washington, participating in many of the important battles of that noted campaign. He was transferred at Washington to the 131st Ohio, and was discharged with that regiment at Columbus, Ohio, in July, 1865. During the war his parents had moved to Richland county and settled in the town of Eagle, where he joined them soon after his discharge. He was married in 1869 to Abigail, daughter of Rev. John and Rhoda Crandall. He rented land on section 32 for five years, then purchased land on the same section, built a house, and lived there two years. He then rented the farm of his father-in-law, on sections 31 and 32. Six years later he purchased his present farm on sections 13 and 20. He also has forty acres on section 29, on which there is some improvement. Mr. and Mrs. Wheaton have four children living --- Ida L, Mary R, Eliza and Ella. Johnnie, their only son, was born Dec. 15, 1877, and died May 4, 1883. Mr. Wheaton has taken an interest in town affairs and has been several times a member of the town board.
T A Manchester, proprietor of the blacksmith and wagon shop at Muscoda Bridge, was born in Geauga Co., Ohio, in 1846. His younger days were spent on the farm and in attending school. When seventeen years of age he went into the army, and when nineteen was apprenticed to a blacksmith at Ravenna, Portage Co., Ohio, to learn the trade and served three years; after which he worked as journeyman in different places, including Cleveland, where he worked five years. In 1874 he opened a shop in Newbury, Geauga county, where he continued in business one year, then resumed work as journeyman. In 1878 he came to Richland county and located at Muscoda Bridge, where he built a shop 14x20 feet but business increasing, in 1880 he erected a building 18x50 feet to be used for a wagon shop. In 1881 he took possession of the building he now occupies, which is 20x48 feet. A R Moon has charge of the wagon shop. He doing the wood, and Mr. Manchester the iron work. He also does horse shoeing and general repairing. He is a skilled mechanic and is doing an extensive and prosperous business. He was married in 1879 to Nettie Dunston, who was born in Richland Co., Wis. They have one child --- Frederick A. They have a comfortable and pleasant residence, at a convenient distance from his place of business.
Alexander Barrett came to Richland county in 1870 and purchased a farm on section 5, town of Eagle, lived there a short time and then moved to Dayton and purchased a farm on section 32, where he remained nine years; then went to Akan and purchased a farm. He remained there only a short time when he returned to Dayton and purchased the McNally farm on section 28, where he lived until 1883, then purchased his present farm located on section 28, town of Eagle. It is pleasantly located in the richest belt of land in the county and is one of the best farms. It was formerly owned and improved by Alvin Pepein who built the frame house now on it. Mr. Barrett was born in Geauga Co., Ohio, in January, 1836, where he spent his younger days on the farm and attending school. He was married Nov. 22, 1856, to Jennett Manchester, also a native of Geauga county, where they lived three years, then came to Wisconsin and settled in LaCrosse Valley, LaCrosse county, where they were among the early settlers. He engaged in farming and lived there until 1863, then moved to Minnesota and lived in the town of Milton, Dodge county and took a homestead which he improved and sold three years afterward, and came to Richland county as before stated. Mr. and Mrs. Barrett have two children --- Alanson and Walter.
There were 2627 visitors at our previous host from 11 Mar 2006 to 2 Aug 2011 and 3074 visitors to a previous site from 5 Sep 2000 to 11 Mar 2006.