The first permanent settlement in the town of Henrietta was made in 1853 by William Garfield, a native of Vermont, who came here from Waukesha, in March, of that year, and entered the north half of the northwest quarter of section 35. He lived here until the time of his death.
Later in the same year Alexander Sires and two sons, William and Alexander, came from Indiana. They settled on the southwest quarter of section 32. Mr. Sires laid out the village of Siresville. He died here in 1869.
William Joslyn, a native of Michigan, came here in 1853, and lived for about one year on section 27, where he was engaged in making shingles. In 1854 he entered land on the southeast quarter of section 7, and remained there until elected sheriff of the county in 1859, when he moved to Richland Center. In 1861 he returned to his farm and remained until 1868, when he removed to the town of Richland.
Jonas Lockwood, a native of Vermont, came in the fall of 1853 and settled on section 27, where he lived until the time of his death.
Carlos Joslyn, a native of Vermont, came in 1854 and located on section 7. He now lives with his son-in-law, Latimore Renick.
Henry Simpson, a native of England, came in 1854 and entered land on section 36. He erected a house, cleared a farm and made this his home until the time of his death in 1862. His widow married again and now lives in Sauk county. His son Joseph still occupies the old homestead.
R M De Lap came from Illinois in 1854 and settled near Siresville. He remained there about two years when his cabin burned and he removed to Grant county. When the war broke out he enlisted and died in the service.
Quinton Nicks, a Tenneseean, came from Illinois in 1853, and settled on section 31. He was a half owner in the village plat of Woodstock. He has always been engaged in farming and still lives adjoining the village.
Dennis Wherry, a native of Pennsylvania, came here in 1851 and entered land on section 31. After entering his land he returned to Indiana where he remained until the fall of 1854, when he came and settled. He now lives on section 32.
William Collins, a native of Indiana, came from California in 1854 and entered land on sections 8, 17, 18 and 28. He built a log house on section 17 and during the summer kept bachelor's hall. In the fall of that year he married and settled on section 28, where he lived until the spring of 1855, when he sold out and returned to section 17. In 1856 he removed to Orion, and when the war broke out he enlisted and died in the service. His widow still lives in the county.
A J Slater, a native of New York, came here in 1854 and entered land on section 18. In 1857 he sold to Perry Brown and after living in different portions of the town for some time he removed to Minnesota.
Jabez Smith came from Illinois in 1854 and settled on section 26, where he improved a farm. In 1860 he removed to Green county.
Edward Pinick came here from the town of Marshall in 1854 and settled on section 6, where he laid out the village of Yuba. In 1869 he sold out and removed to Pottawatomie Co., Kan., where he still lives.
Heman B Miller in 1854 came from Ohio, and settled on the northwest quarter of section 20. He made some improvement and lived here until 1869, when he sold out and removed to the town of Richland. He afterward went to Nebraska, but is now in Ohio.
Amos Carpenter, a native of New York, came in 1854 and made his home with A J Slater. He was a physician, the first to locate in the town. In 1856 he removed to Vernon county, where he still lives.
James Ghormley, a native of Indiana, came in 1854 and settled on section 34. He erected a flour and saw mill and lived here until 1882, when he sold out and returned to Indiana, where he died a few months later.
Michael Ghormley, a native of Indiana, and father of James, came at the same time and entered land on section 26, where he cleared a farm and lived for several years. He owned an interest in the mills in company with his son. He died in 1878.
Andrew Hughert came from Indiana in 1854 and settled on the southeast quarter of section 26. He lived there until 1873, when he removed to Richland Center, where he died.
In 1854 Milton Satterlee came from Illinois. He is now a resident of Woodstock. Mr. Satterlee has been quite a prominent man in the history of this town, holding many positions of trust, among which are clerk of the circuit court and register of deeds.
George Norman, a native of England, came from Jefferson county, in 1855, and located on section 20. He now resides on section 17. Four of his sons are well-to-do farmers in the town.
Henry Bristol came from Ohio in 1855 and settled on section 17. Two or three years later he sold out and went to Richland Center. His son, Samuel, located on section 18, where he lived a short time, then sold and moved away.
James Williams, from Ohio, came in 1855 and located on section 8. When the war broke out he enlisted, and contracted disease in the service from the effects of which he died at home shortly after his discharge. The family removed to Kansas.
A Mr. Rigby came in 1855 and located on the northeast quarter of section 6. He lived there a short time, when he sold out and moved away.
In the fall of 1855 William Richardson, a native of Ohio, came and entered land on section 21. He settled on the land in the fall of 1858 and still makes this his home.
Carlisle Tillow, a native of Herkimer Co., NY, came in 1855 and settled on section 34, where he cleared a farm and lived until the time of his death in 1870.
Cornelius McCarthy, a native of Ireland, came to Richland county in 1852 and entered land near the present site of Richland Center. In 1855 he sold out and removed to Melanthon creek, entering land on section 23, in the town of Henrietta. In September, 1861, he enlisted in company D, 11th Wisconsin regiment and went to Arkansas. He was severely wounded in July, 1862, at the battle of Bayou Cache, and in the following September was discharged for disability and returned home. In 1864 he re-enlisted in company I, 42d Wisconsin regiment and served until the close of the war, after which he returned home. He died in September, 1879, leaving a widow and seven children. The widow and son, Cornelius J, still occupy the old homestead.
Jonathan Dillon, a native of Virginia, came from Ohio in 1855 and entered land on sections 5 and 8, where he still lives.
Starr Titus, a native of New York, came here at about the same time and selected land on section 15, where he lived until the time of his death in 1859. The family are scattered.
Among others who came in 1855 were: George Askins, a Mr. Robbins, Peter Ward and John Manning.
George Askins settled upon the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 15. He was an old bachelor, and lived almost the life of a hermit until the time of his death in 1872.
Mr. Robbins located on section 21. He lived there but a few years; then sold out and left.
Peter Ward was a native of the Emerald Isle, and made his selection of land on section 26. When the war broke out he enlisted and died while in the service. His family removed to Green county.
John Manning was also an Irishman. He settled on section 10, where he cleared a farm and remained four or five years, then removed to Iowa county.
Jarvis Shipman came in 1856 and settled on section 6. He lived here a number of years, then removed to Trempeleau county.
Simon Harris, a native of Ohio, came in 1856 and settled on section 8, where he improved a farm. When the war broke out he enlisted in the 2d Cavalry; but after some time he contracted disease and was discharged for disability. He again enlisted and served until the close of the war. He afterward lost one eye, from the effects of disease contracted. In 1878 he sold his place and removed to Thayer Co., Neb.
Thomas Kinney, a native of Nova Scotia, came here in 1856 and located on section 22. He improved a farm and remained here about ten years, when he removed to Richland Center, where he has since died.
Others, who came in 1856 were: Charles Shields, Bronson Greaves, John Slaney, John Kennedy, Michael Doyle, John Whalen, John Welsh and James Kelly.
Charles Shields was a native of Ireland. He located on section 15, where he still lives.
Bronson Greaves was a native of the State of New York. He came here from Rockbridge and settled on section 17, where he lived until the time of his death. His family still occupy the old homestead.
John Slaney was a native of Ireland. He located on section 23, where he lived until the time of his death. His death was caused by an accident, a tree falling upon him while he was at work in the woods. The family still occupy the old homestead.
John Kennedy and his son, James, were natives of Ireland. The father located on section 22. He is dead, and the son now occupies the place.
Michael Doyle located on section 3. He remained but a few years, then removed to Chicago.
John Whalen settled on section 22, where some of the family still live.
John Welsh, was a native of Ireland and settled on section 23. He now lives in the town of Westford.
James Kelly was also a native of the Emerald Isle. He settled on section 10, where he still lives.
Among others who should be mentioned as early settlers of Henrietta are the following: Perry Brown, O S Welton, Henry Travers and Stephen McWilliams.
The first school in district No. 3 was taught in 1854 in a log house on section 34 by Eliza A Garfield, now the wife of Demas Wherry. The next school was taught by Daniel Garfield in a house belonging to Thomas Gillham, on section 27. In 1858 a frame school house was erected on the northeast corner of the northwest quarter of section 35, in which Eliza Garfield was the first teacher. She finished a term here which had been commenced in a private house.
The first school house in district No. 4 was erected of logs, in 1857, on the northeast corner of section 22. Caroline Kinney, now the wife O S Welton, was the first teacher in this house. In 1875 a frame building was erected near the center of section 15, in which Thomas Conway taught the first term of school.
The first school house in district No. 5 was erected in 1856 on the northwest quarter of the southeast quarter of section 7. The neighbors turned out and made a "building bee" of the affair. They drew the logs, split puncheons for the floor and covered the building with shakes. Ann Andrews was the first teacher in this house. In 1865 a frame house was erected on the northeast corner of the southeast quarter of section 7, in which Emma Eastland taught the first school. Mattie Spyker is the present teacher.
School district No. 6 was organized in 1855. The first school house was erected in the fall of 1856. It was a log building with a dirt and stick chimney on the outside, and a fire place within. Marion Kinney, now the wife of H T Hamilton, was the first teacher, holding a term in the spring of 1856. The old school house was in use until 1861, when a frame building was erected on section 20. Mattie Akan taught the first, and George Holsey the second school in this house. The district is preparing to erect a new school building in 1884.
Union school district at Woodstock. The first school in this district was taught by Demas Wherry, in 1855, in a small log house which had been erected for the purpose. The first school within the present village of Woodstock was taught by Julia Satterlee. In the fall of 1859 a petition was circulated by James M Callaway, Thomas C Clark and Milton Satterlee, which was presented to the Legislature, asking that the Woodstock district and a part of the town of Bloom be organized as the Woodstock Union district. The prayer was granted and the organization of the new district effected. A commodious frame building was erected, which was used until 1883. In 1882 a new and larger building was commenced which was completed during the succeeding year. It is a frame building, vaneered with brick, two stories in height and 30x40 feet in size. The building is a credit to the village and one of which they may well be proud.
In early days religious services were held in a building erected by Bronson Greaves for a grist mill. Rev. George W Turner, a Second Adventist, was the first preacher.
In December, 1865, a society of this denomination was organized in the Norman school district, by Elder J R Preston. There were four members --- Bronson Greaves, Benjamin Judson, Lizzie Hughart and Mary Renick. Bronson Greaves was the first deacon. Since the organization, among those who have preached here are the following: Elders Hitchcock, Wilbur, Huff, Wilcox, White and Greaves. The society continued to flourish, and met regularly for worship at the school house in district No. 6. Oswald Palmer is the present deacon. There is a Sunday school organization in connection with the Church, which meets during the summer seasons. Oswald Palmer is superintendent, and B Judson secretary.
As early as 1857 a Methodist Episcopal organization was effected at the school house on section 20, under the management of Rev. Thomas Mason. The class took and has since borne the name of East Pine class. Levi Mick was the first class leader. The class is still in existence, having a membership of seventeen, and meets for worship at the school house in district No. 5. John Fowler is the present class leader, Rev. Snodgrass pastor, and John W Fowler steward. Since organization the following named have filled the pulpit for this class: Revs. Brainard, Hawthorn, Timby, Thurston, Brakeman, Olmstead, Hodgson, McMillan, Sackett, Brothers, Bradley, Kilbourn, Medd, Bryan and Wheaton. The class belongs to the West Wisconsin conference.
A Sabbath-school was organized shortly after the class, with Levi Mick as the first superintendent. The school still meets regularly during the summer months. The following have acted as superintendents of the school: Levi Mick, John Fowler, T F Ayers, B Fowler and Mary Ayers. Levi Mick is the present superintendent.
In the fall of 1881 Rev. D C Young, a preacher of the United Brethren denomination, held meetings at the school house in district No. 3. Since that time various preachers of this denomination have held services here. In December, 1883, Rev. Cosper, from Vernon county, organized a class with the following members: C A Robinson and wife and son Albert, Daniel Long and wife, Mrs. Matilda Cockroft and daughter Mary J, Mrs. John M Garfield and Mrs. John Dixon. Daniel Long was selected class leader. Services are held once every two weeks at the school house in district No. 3.
A Dunkard, or German Baptist, society was organized in the vicinity of Woodstock in 1878. Revs. Myers and Forney were the first preachers. Meetings are now held once a month at the house of Joseph Turner on section 4, in the town of Rockbridge, and once each month in the town of Bloom. Rev. George Turner is the present pastor.
At an early day a Wesleyan Methodist class was organized at the school house of district No. 3. The following were among the first members: Michael Ghormley and wife, Jonas Lockwood and wife, Mrs. John M Garfield, C A Robinson and wife and Martha Cockroft. Michael Ghormley was the first class leader. Among those who have filled the pulpit for the class are the following: Revs. Camack, Mullinix, Good, Wood, McMillan, Ryman, Van Dressen, Holcomb, Mann, DeLap and Bunker.
The Universalist society. In 1875 B F Snook, the State missionary, came to Woodstock and delivered a course of five lectures in the M E church. These were the first meetings of this denomination in the village. Since that time Revs. Eberhart and Critchet have preached here. The society is small but prosperous. The following are among its members: Demas Wherry and family, H T Walser, J A Meeker and Dr. J B Hitchcock.
The Catholic Church. The first mass in the town was said by Father Sthale, in the fall of 1855, at the house of Cornelius McCarthy. For several years meetings were held in Mr. McCarthy's. In 1867 a church was built near the center of section 15. Among those who have held services since Father Sthale are: Fathers Montague, Bean, Bernard and Metzler. The present pastor is Father Herman Groose. There are thirty-five families who attend here.
The town of Henrietta was organized on the 1st day of April, 1856, at a town meeting held at the house of Heman B Miller, on section 17. The officers of the election were: Inspectors, Henry Bristol, chairman, William H Joslyn and Alexander Sires; Allen J Slater, clerk. The first officers of the town were elected at this time. They were as follows: Supervisors, William H Joslyn, chairman, Milton Satterlee and John M Garfield; A J Slater, clerk; Henry Bristol, treasurer; Jabez Smith, assessor; Latimore Rennick, Henry Bristol, A J Smith and A Sires, justices of the peace; A J Slater, superintendent of schools; Stephen Howard, A Ryan and John M Garfield, constables. At the first meeting it was declared that $150 be raised to defray town expenses for the ensuing year, and $75 for the support of the schools. It was also voted that hogs be allowed to run at large.
At the annual town election held in April, 1883, the following officers were chosen for the ensuing year: Supervisors, John Dunn, chairman, R M Stockwell and O Palmer; H H Walser, clerk; J T Pratt, treasurer; Wensel Hynek, assessor; Thomas Borton, and E Johnson, justices; John Slaney, G W Weeden and S M Ferguson, constables.
In 1876 a town hall was erected on the northeast quarter of section 20. It is a frame building and cost about $400.
Henrietta postoffice was established, in 1857, with Herman B Miller as the first postmaster. The office was kept at the residence of the postmaster, on section 17, and was on a mail route from Richland Center, mail being received twice each week. Mr. Miller's successors were Bronson Greaves, Thomas Kinney, O S Welton and Daniel Priest. The latter is the present postmaster, and keeps the office at his house on section 20. Mail is now received three times each week.
Melanthon Creek postoffice was established, in 1856, with Cornelius McCarthy as postmaster. The office was kept at the residence of the postmaster, and mail was received once each week from Rockbridge. The postmaster's sons, Thomas G and Patrick, carried the mail. Two years after its establishment the office was discontinued at Mr. McCarthy's request.
In 1856 Bronson Greaves erected a building for a flour mill, on the northeast quarter of section 17. However, he did not complete it, and during the war Herman Stoddard purchased the building, and put in machinery for carding wool and pulling and finishing cloth. In 1868 he sold to Daniel Priest, the present proprietor. The power is derived from East Pine river, which at this point furnished six feet head of water. Originally a timber dam was built, but this has been replaced by a substantial stone and earth dam.
The village of Woodstock is located on the southwest quarter of section 31. It is pleasantly situated and is surrounded by an excellent country. The merchants are mostly young men who are enterprising, and the village bids fair to become a prominent rival for the larger portion of the trade of the northern part of Richland county.
The village of Woodstock was laid out in 1855 by Quinton Nicks and Milton Satterlee. The surveyor was Joseph Irish.
The first merchant here was James Calloway, who opened a general merchandise store in 1855. Since that time a great many have been in trade here for a longer or shorter period.
In 1883 there were four stores, kept by J E Mason, A W Travers, Samuel Ferguson and a joint stock company, of which A S Neff is president, and Ella Dickerson secretary.
The first blacksmith shop in the village was started by Daniel Storms. He now runs a shop at Richland Center. There are now two blacksmith shops at Woodstock.
In 1864 L B Madden started a small tannery here for the purpose of tanning skins for the manufacture of gloves and mittens.
In 1857 Chambers & Wilson, from Lacon, Ill., erected a wash and dry house for the purpose of drying ginseng. They brought bacon and flour from Chicago, which they traded for ginseng, getting it by the wagon loads, and for some time doing an extensive business.
In the vicinity of Woodstock there is good material for making brick. H N Holbrook put up and burned the first kiln of brick.
The first death in Woodstock was an infant child of Dr. Byers, who located here in the fall of 1856, and remained during the following winter.
The second death was that of Elisha Satterlee, aged seventy-three years. He was living with his son Ossian at the time.
The postoffice was established at Siresville in 1854, under that name. Milton Satterlee was the first postmaster. In 1855 it was removed to the southwest quarter of section 31, and the name changed to Woodstock; Mr. Satterlee being re-appointed postmaster. At the present time Mrs. J E Mason is postmistress, her husband as deputy having charge of the office. Mail is received daily, the office being on the route from West Lima to Richland Center.
The Woodstock mills were built in 1857 by Stephenson & Calloway. The power was derived from the west branch of Pine river, a log dam being constructed. The mill stood upon the south bank of the stream. A Mulley saw was put in and common lumber was manufactured. In 1857 the firm erected a grist mill, near the saw mill, putting up a two story building 20x50 feet in size, and equipping it with one run of stone. The mill commenced operations in 1858. In 1859 John Meeker purchased Mr. Calloway's interest in the property. In 1864 Mr. Stephenson sold his interest to James Jones, who a short time afterward sold to Moses Meeker. In 1878 John A Meeker purchased Moses' interest. At the present time the proprietors are Moses Meeker and his son R D Meeker. The saw-mill continued in operation until 1878. The old log dam was replaced by a frame one, which in turn has been superseded by a stone dam. Eight feet head of water is secured at this point, and it is never failing. The mill does custom work.
In 1869 Henry T Walser erected a grist-mill near Woodstock on the west branch of Pine river. The building is two stories high, 25x36 feet in size. A dam of stone was built which furnishes six feet head of water. The mill does custom work. It contains two run of stone, and all necessary machinery for the manufacture of first class flour.
The Methodist Church at Woodstock was organized in 1857 by Elder Brainard. The first members were Henry Travers and wife, James M Calaway and wife, Alexander Sires, Sr., and wife, Thomas Mason and wife, Mrs. William Hook and William Sires and wife. Mr. Mason at that time was a local preacher and afterward joined the conference. James M Calaway was the first class leader. Among those who have preached here since the organization of the class are the following: Elders Hawthorn, Brahman, McMillan, Sackett, Brothers, Bradley, Kilbourn, Mead, Bryant and Wheaton. A S Neff is the present class leader. The class has flourished and is now in good condition. In 1871 a neat church edifice was erected just east of the village, in which they now meet for worship.
A Disciple Church was organized here in 1856 by Elder Merrill, with about twenty members. Quinton Nicks and family were among the prominent workers in this Church.
This village is located on the southwest quarter of section 6. It was laid out in 1856 for Edward Pinick. Joseph Irish was the surveyor, and proposed the name of "Pinick," but "Yuba" was finally chosen. Mr. Pinick sold a number of lots but no business start was made until several years later.
The first business enterprise here was a saloon opened by Joseph Baranek in 1875.
The first store here was established by Burgess Fowler in August, 1880, in the same building that had been formerly occupied by the saloon. In 1882 Mr. Fowler erected a building, 24x44 feet in size, two stories in height. The upper story is used as a tenement; and the lower is occupied by the general merchandise store.
The first blacksmith shop was opened by W Wheden in 1881. H A Renick is the present blacksmith.
John Jewell started a general merchandise store in 1882.
E E and J H Potts erected a building in 1883, for the purpose of a hardware store.
In 1856 Edward Pinick erected a saw mill on section 6. The power was derived from Pine river, the water being carried to the mill by means of a race, half a mile in length, securing seven feet head of water. An old fashioned "up and down" saw was put in. Joseph Baranek bought this mill and ran it until 1879, when he erected a new mill a short distance below the old one. The new mill is furnished with a Mulley saw, and does custom work.
The Yuba flour mill was erected in 1882 by R D Meeker and Frank Baranek, on section 7. The power is derived from the east branch of Pine river. The race through which the water is carried to the mill is seventy rods long, and ten feet head of water is secured. The building is a frame, two and a half stories in height and 24x36 feet in size. The mill is furnished with two run of stone, two bolting chests and all necessary machinery for doing first class work. It does custom work and most of the time is run to its full capacity.
Yuba postoffice was established in 1857, with Edward Pinick as postmaster. The office was kept at the house of the postmaster on section 6. When Mr. Pinick moved away, John Fowler was appointed postmaster, and kept the office at his house on section 7. In 1880 he was succeeded by his son Burgess, who kept the office at his store in Yuba. The office is on the mail route form Rockbridge to Hillsboro, and mail is received three times each week.
During the summer of 1854 James Ghormley put up a saw-mill on section 34. He put up a frame building and threw a brush and dirt dam across Pine river. In 1855 he made an addition to the building and put in one run of buhrs for grinding corn and wheat, and a bolting machine for the manufacture of flour. In 1860 he erected a two story frame building, 20x40 feet in size, and put in one run of buhrs for making good flour. A few years later he added another run of stone, and about 1867 he put up a new saw-mill which he equipped with a circular saw. Mr. Ghormley ran the mills until 1876, when the property was purchased by Hon. George Krouskop. In the winter of 1881-2 he sold to T G Mandt, of Stoughton, Wis. The saw-mill has been enlarged and a planing mill added. A dry-house 60x200 feet in size has also been erected, and the enterprise has become one of the most important of Richland county's industries.
In 1882 a village was platted here under the name of Hub City. It now contains about twenty dwelling houses, aside from the numerous mill buildings.
A postoffice was established here in 1882 under the name of "Stalwart," but this has since been changed to "Hub City." The first postmistress was Mrs. Frank Pollard. Hiram Hernstein is the present postmaster. The office is on the mail route from Rockbridge to Hillsborogh.
The first store in the village was started by T G Mandt in 1882.
Lattimore Renick was one of the earliest settlers of Richland county. He arrived in what is now the town of Orion, in a snow storm, on the 17th of October, 1848. That fall he commenced the building of a saw-mill on Ash creek, for William Thompson, and completed it in 1849. In 1852 he went to Richmond village, bought a piece of land and engaged in farming, and also worked at his trade, which was that of carpenter and joiner, remaining there until 1856 when he moved to Henrietta and purchased timber land on section 6 and immediately began to clear a farm. He broke his first two and a half acres with a hoe. He has since purchased adjoining land, and now has 120 acres on sections 6 and 7. He has built a commodious hewed log house with a frame addition, and has made it his home until the present time. Mr. Renick is a native of Kentucky, born in Barren county, Oct. 7, 1813. In his youth he was apprenticed to a cabinet maker to learn the trade. After serving three years he started on foot and alone for Louisville, arrived there and soon found friends and employment as carpenter, and being a good workman he was never out of work. He remained there till 1841, when he went to St. Louis, but stopped there only a few days and then made another move, this time toward the north, halting at Mineral Point where he worked for a time at his trade, and from thence to Madison, where he was employed to work on the territorial capitol, remaining there until 1844, when he returned to Mineral Point and was engaged to construct the fluted columns of the court house. In 1845 he went to work at mining at Mineral Point and continued in that employment until 1848, when he came to Richland county. He was married in 1845 to Lucy, daughter of Carlos and Mary (Bostwick) Joslyn. Eleven children have blessed this union, nine of whom are now living --- Mary L, Henry, Margaret, James W, Francis A, Harry, George S, Addie and Susie. The oldest daughter, Mary, married Isaac N Bingham, of this county. Emma married William F Bingham, of this county. She died in October, 1880, leaving one child, Edith, who has since made her home with her grandparents. Margaret E is the wife of John W Fowler. Mr. Renick has an extensive acquaintance in different parts of the county, and is respected by all. He is a well read man and has a good recollection of past events. He has been prominent in town and county affairs, has been a member of the county board and has filled nearly all the offices in the town in which he has lived, besides having served as an officer in the school district a great part of the time since its organization. He was also one of the first grand jurors of Richland county.
William Cratsenberg, one of the earliest settlers of Richland county, was born in Lewis county, town of Denmark, State of New York, in August, 1821. His father, Nicholas Cratsenberg, was a native of Montgomery county, York State, and one of the early settlers of Lewis county. The subject of this sketch was here brought up, receiving a liberal education in the public schools. When quite young he commenced to work in his father's tannery, learned that trade, and a few years later the trade of boot and shoe making. He was married in 1843 to Catherine Rich, also a native of Lewis county, where he purchased a farm of 100 acres, and engaged in dairying. In 1851 he sold out and started west to seek a home. He came on the lakes to Milwaukee, and then with one horse and a wagon started for Richland county, coming directly to the town now known as Ithaca, and entered land on Willow creek, on section 18, where he commenced building a log house. He harvested wheat on the shares and that same fall had to haul his grain to Iowa county to find a mill for grinding. The following spring moved into his new house, and raised his first crop of corn in 1852. In the fall of this year (1852) he went to mill at Black Earth, Dane county. The year following he sold this place and moved to Sextonville, where he purchased town property and engaged in the boot and shoe trade. Two years afterward he purchased the tavern well known as The Ark, conducting the same until 1858, then sold out and bought timber land on section 28, town of Henrietta; here he built a log house and stables and immediately commenced to clear a farm. In 1880 his stables were struck by lightning and destroyed, together with stock and farming utensils. The frame house in which he now lives was built in 1879. His first wife died in February, 1849, leaving two children --- Deett and Dowite. His second wife, to whom he was married April 10, 1851, was Louisa Burdick, a native of Lincoln, Chenango Co., NY, born June 15, 1827. By this union there were five children --- Nicholas Leroy, Celinda E, James B, Adam A J and Eugene S. Mr. Cratsenberg assisted in the organization of the town of Ithaca, and proposed the name which it still bears.
Patrick H, son of Cornelius and Ellen (Gallagher) McCarthy, pioneer settlers of Richland county, was born Dec. 5, 1845, in the province of Ontario, Canada. The next spring his parents removed to Milwaukee. When he was seven years of age, his parents removed to Richland county, locating in the town of Richland, where they remained until 1855, and then removed to the town of Henrietta, where the subject of this sketch grew to manhood, his time being employed in going to and teaching school and farming. In March, 1864, he enlisted in company D, 38th Wisconsin. His company formed a part of the Army of the Potomac and was immediately sent to the front, where it was engaged in many of the important battles from that time until the close of the war; including the charge of Petersburg, June 17 and 18, 1864, and the siege and capture of that city. He was discharged May 25, 1865, and returned home, where he engaged in teaching and farming. In 1867 he was united in marriage to Catherine Drea. She was born in Cleveland, Ohio. Nine children were born to them --- Robert, Emmet, Catharine J, Cornelius E, Ellen L, William B, James F, John P, Francis A and Mollie. In 1868 he purchased a tract of land on section 13, cleared up a farm and erected a nice lot of buildings, where he now makes his home. Mr. McCarthy has been quite prominent in town and county affairs. He has served as town clerk, chairman of the board and justice of the peace; the latter at the present time.
John A Meeker, the present proprietor of the Woodstock flouring mill, is a native of Ohio, and was born in the city of Cincinnatti June 21, 1823. When he was quite young his parents moved to Galena, Ill., where his father had received a land grant from the government and engaged in the business of smelting lead, and was the first person to establish an enterprise of that character at that point, which has since become an extensive and lucrative business. In 1834 his father moved to Wisconsin and located near Mineral Point, Iowa county. Here the subject of this sketch grew to manhood, making his home with his parents and assisting at the smelting works, until twenty-one years of age. At this time, 1851, desiring to make a start for himself, he concluded to leave the paternal roof and seek his fortune. Full of energy and enterprise he started for California, not as the trip is made in these latter days by methods of easy and comparatively safe transit, but by the tedious, dangerous journey across the plains with ox teams. This journey occupied 120 days, but at length he arrived at his destination and engaged in mining until 1853, when he returned home by way of Nicaragua. He then purchased prairie land and improved a farm which he sold in 1859. That same year he came to Woodstock and bought a one-half interest in the mill property which he now owns and has since made this his home, and milling has been his business except in 1863 when he went to Pike's Peak and remained until the fall of 1864. He has been twice married --- to his first wife Matilda W Stevens in 1848 who was born in Columbiana Co., Ohio, and died in 1876, leaving three children --- Robert D, Amy E and Alice. His second wife was Amanda Biehl, born in Edwards Co., Ill. They have one child --- Winifred W. Mr. Meeker's father's name was Moses, and he was born in Essex Co., NJ, in 1790. His parents were poor and he was obliged to work for himself and make his own fortune as best he might. When young he learned the potter's trade. He was energetic and industrious, and devoted his leisure time to reading and study and afterward practiced medicine, and later engaged in the manufacture of white lead in Cincinnati. He was a leading Mason and assisted in the organization of the first lodge in the State of Wisconsin. He was a member of the territorial Legislature, and a delegate form Iowa county to the first constitutional convention in Wisconsin. He died in Lafayette county in 1865. Thus it may be seen the subject of this sketch is from a sturdy, energetic stock, and he retains those eminent characteristics to a marked degree. He is a man of generous impulses and pure motives, and has the confidence and esteem of his fellowmen, and can truly be classed among Richland county's best citizens.
William W Garfield, deceased, the pioneer settler of Henrietta, was born in Windham Co., Vt., March 9, 1807, where his childhood and youth were spent. He was married April 1, 1830, to Fannie Willard, who was born in Weathersfield, Vt., April 16, 1804. Five children were born to them --- William, John M, Eliza A, Addison and Caroline. They remained in Windham county until 1852, when they started for the west to seek a home. He left his family in Waukesha while he came to Richland county to select a location. He entered land on section 35, town 12, range 1 east, now in the town of Henrietta, and returned to Waukesha and spent the winter. In the spring of 1853, he took his family and started with an ox team for their new home in the then unbroken wilderness. They were about two weeks on the road, and on their arrival moved into a hunter's cabin, in which they lived one year. He then built a frame house, which was afterwards burned, when he built another, which was his home until the time of his death, Oct. 25, 1879. Mrs. Garfield died May 5, 1878. Their oldest daughter is the wife of Demas Wherry. The youngest daughter died July 14, 1865, at home, of small-pox contracted while teaching school at Debello. Their oldest son, William, was teaching school in New Jersey at the time of the removal of the family to Wisconsin, but joined them in 1854, and afterwards taught here. He died four or five years later. John M was born in Windham Co., Vt., March 17, 1833. He came to Wisconsin with his parents and lived with them until1861, when he was married January 20th to Nancy A Judkins, daughter of Joel Judkins, an early settler of Rockbridge. He settled at the time of his marriage on his present farm, which he had pre-empted in 1854. He has cleared a good farm and built a frame house and barn. He enlisted on Feb. 14, 1865, in the 46th Wisconsin, company E, and went south, served until after the close of the war, and was discharged Oct. 6, 1865. He was a member of the first board of supervisors of the town of Henrietta. Addison was born April 24, 1838. He came to Wisconsin with his parents and remained with them as long as they lived, and he now occupies the homestead. He was married in 1876 to Julia, daughter of William and Bethany (Carey) Jordan, early settlers of Greenwood, Vernon county. They have two children --- Frederick and James A.
Carlos Joslin, in June, 1847, pre-empted the southeast quarter of section 9, town 9 north, range 1 east, of the 4th principal meridian, now Orion, and in September of the same year removed his wife and three children from Mineral Point to this place. He resided on his pre-emption but one year, when he sold to Frederick Schurman, and then entered the northeast quarter of the southwest quarter of section 10, in the same town. Here he toiled to improve the land, and, in common with the rest of the early settlers on Ash creek, endured the hardships and enjoyed the pastimes of pioneer life. In 1853 Mr. Joslin moved to the north part of the county and became one of the early settlers in the town of Henrietta, where he still resides, an aged and respected citizen. Mr. Joslin was born in Chittenden Co., Vt., Nov. 30, 1805. His parents died when he was but a small boy, and he subsequently resided with his guardian, with whom, in about 1819, he removed to the State of New York. In 1825, near Rochester, he married Mary Bostwick, a native of Canada. In about 1828 he emigrated to Michigan, and in 1841 came to Wisconsin and first settled at Madison, where he resided until November, 1846, then removed to Mineral Point, whence he came to this county. Mr. and Mrs. Joslin have five children --- Lucy H, now the wife of Lattimer Renick; William H, James W, Mary A, now the wife of O Carl, and Albert E.
Thomas J Leatherberry, one of the early settlers of Richland county, is a native of Ohio, born in Jefferson county, in January, 1829, where he made his home until 1854. In that year he came with his parents to Rockbridge. In 1855 he entered land on section 20, town 12, range 1 east, now known as Henrietta. He did not, however, settle upon this land, but soon traded it for property at Richland Center, and rented land on section 17. In 1860 he traded his village property for land on section 15, the east half of the southeast quarter. He has since purchased the south half of the southwest quarter of section 14, and his farm now contains 160 acres. He was united in marriage in 1858 with Maria, daughter of George and Mary (Welsh) Norman. Eight children have been born to them --- Leroy D, George J, Henry W, Joshua S, Dora E, Mary J, Robert G and Lallie J.
Demas Wherry, one of the pioneers of Richland county, was born in Washington Co., Penn., Nov. 14, 1824. When he was one and a half years old his parents moved to Ohio and settled in Carroll county, where his younger days were spent in going to school and working upon the farm. He first visited Richland county in 1853, and entered land on section 31, town 12, range 1 east, now known as Henrietta. He remained a short time, and returned to Indiana, where he lived until 1854, then came back to Wisconsin and settled on his land and began improving it. He soon sold it, however, and purchased other land on sections 5, of the town of Rockbridge, and 32, of the town of Henrietta, where he has cleared a farm and built a large frame barn and a good frame house. He has been twice married, first in 1851, to Elizabeth Nickilson, who died a few years later, leaving one child --- Elizabeth; and again, in 1858, to Eliza A, daughter of William M and Fannie (Willard) Garfield. They have seven children --- Irving L, Lillie M, Rose, Nettie, John, Bert and Alice. Mr. Wherry has been prominent in town affairs, and has held many of the different offices. He has been chairman of the board, assessor, superintendent of schools and town clerk.
Bronson Greaves, one of the pioneers of Richland county, was born in Fairfield, Franklin Co., Vt., Sept. 8, 1818. When he was young his parents moved to the State of New York and settled in Malone, where he grew to manhood's estate. He was employed in a sawmill, where he learned to be a sawyer. In 1849 he started west to seek a home, came to Richland county and entered land on section 27, of town 11, range 1 east. He was then a single man, and did not settle upon the land at that time, but went to what is now the village of Rockbridge, and worked in Mr. Hazeltine's mill one year, then went to Black Earth, Dane county, and from there to West Bend, where he remained until 1851, when he returned to New York State. In 1852 he came again to Dane county, and rented a saw-mill at Black Earth. He was there married, in the fall of 1853, to Julia F Hubbard, who was born in St. Lawrence Co., NY, July 20, 1830. In the spring of 1854 they came to Rockbridge, and settled upon his land. They built a frame shanty and lived there two years. They then moved to town 12, range 1 east, now known as Henrietta. He had previously entered land on section 17, of that town. The same year he commenced building a grist-mill, but, his health failing, he was obliged to abandon the project, and he devoted his time to his farm, where he lived until the time of his death, which occurred March 10, 1874. He cleared a good farm and erected good frame buildings. Mr. and Mrs. Greaves were the parents of three children --- Mary J, David E and Norman D. Mary J is now the wife of Oswald Palmer, and lives on section 21. Mrs. Greaves and her two sons occupy the homestead. Mr. Greaves was a good business man, honest in all his dealings, and much respected in the community. He had filled various town offices, and was known as a good citizen.
Albert S Neff, one of the prominent men and pioneers of Richland county, is a son of Samuel and Mary Neff, and was born Sept. 9, 1821, in the town of Chaplin, Windham Co., Conn. Here his younger days were spent upon a farm, and in obtaining such instructions as opportunity offered in the public school. At the age of eighteen he commenced to learn the trade of plasterer, mason and brick layer, serving two years in Norwich and one year in Hartford. He then came to Milwaukee where he worked as journeyman three years. He then engaged as contractor and builder two years, after which he removed to Watertown, Jefferson Co., Wis., and there engaged in the same business until 1855, when he came to Richland county, purchased the hotel property in Richland Center, and named it the American House. He kept hotel six and a half years, and then traded it for land on section 31, of the town of Henrietta, where he has since engaged in farming. Forty-one acres of his land is south of the village, adjoining the plat, and seventy-one acres north of the plat. Mr. Neff has cleared quite a tract of this land. He has built a large frame house and barn and other buildings. Being neat and commodious, he has one of the pleasantest residences in the county. He has been prominent in both town and county affairs. He has served as under-sheriff, six years, and has also been deputy sheriff, chairman of the town board, justice of the peace, besides filling various other offices. He was married in 1845 to Mary, daughter of Andrew and Mary (Dillon) Manning. Mr. Neff has the confidence and esteem of his fellow men and is numbered among the best class of Richland county's citizens.
Rev. Thomas Mason, (deceased) one of the pioneer preachers of Richland county, was born in Pennsylvania in 1818. He commenced preaching in Richland Co., Ill., and was married there in 1847 to Almira Bradshaw, a native of Wayne Co., Ill. He continued preaching in Illinois until 1855, when he came to Richland Co., Wis., and settled on section 30, of town 12, range 1 east, in the present town of Henrietta. He immediately joined the Northwestern Conference, and was appointed to the West Branch circuit. In 1857 he went to Salem, La Crosse county, and preached one year, then to Mendota, where he remained two years, then to Augusta, in Eau Clair county remaining there two years, next to Galesville in Trempeleau county. He then enlisted as private in the 14th Wisconsin, company D, and went to the front. He was killed at the battle of Corinth. He had been appointed chaplain of his regiment, but had not taken the position at the time of his death. He left a wife and six children to mourn his loss. The children are --- Shadrach, Elijah, Sarah, Mahala, Maggie and James E. The two eldest sons, Shadrach and Elijah, were in the same regiment and company with their father. Shadrach was severely wounded in the same battle in which his father was killed. He was discharged on account of disability, and returned home. He soon re-enlisted and died in the service. Elijah served till the close of the war, and is now living in Illinois. Mrs. Mason is now the wife of Henry T Walser, a resident of Woodstock.
James Edward, son of Thomas and Almira (Bradshaw) Mason, was born in the town of Henrietta, Feb. 28, 1861. He attended the district school, and later, the seminary at Elroy, and the high school at Sextonville. At the age of twelve he entered the employ of William Bradshaw as clerk. He continued in the same employment, excepting the time spent in school, until 1881, when he purchased the stock and good will of William Bradshaw and has since been engaged in trade. He keeps a good stock of dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes, glass ware and crockery, notions, etc. He was married in 1881 to Viola, daughter of Simon S and Mary (Ambrose) Blake, who was born in the town of Orion. They have three children --- Ray and Roy, twins, and Chester.
George Norman, Sr., one of the pioneers of Henrietta, is a native of England, born in Somersetshire, July 17, 1811, where he spent his younger days. At the age of twenty-one he left his native land and came to America, and settled in the province of Ontario. He purchased land in what is now the town of Ora. Upon this land, which was heavily timbered, he built a log house and cleared a farm, and lived there until 1850. He then sold out and came to Wisconsin, settled in Jefferson county, where he bought property in Watertown, and lived there until 1855. In that year he came to Richland county and entered land on section 20, of town 12, range 1 east, now known as Henrietta. He built a log house and then began clearing his farm. He occupied the log house until 1859, when he built a neat frame house, in which he now lives, on section 17. He was married in 1834 to Mary Welsh. They have eight children --- George, Robert and Maria, twins; Joshua J, Caleb H, James, Thomas and Mary J.
Their eldest son, George, was born in the town of Ora, province of Ontario, Jan. 22, 1837, and came to Wisconsin with his parents and assisted his father in clearing a farm. He enlisted in 1863 in the 11th Wisconsin, company D, and went south. He was in the Red river expedition under Banks, and afterwards went to Alabama and participated in the siege and capture of Fort Blakely. He was discharged with the regiment in September, 1865, and returned home. He was married in 1868 to Elizabeth, daughter of Quinton and Susan (Morrell) Nicks. Four children have been born to them --- Willie, Ephraim, Loretta and Leo. Mr. Norman settled upon his present farm at the time of his marriage. It is on sections 20 and 17, in the locality known as Norman valley.
Joshua J Norman was born in Ora, province of Ontario, June 3, 1840. He came with his parents to Wisconsin and lived with them until 1862, when he enlisted in March, in the 12th Wisconsin Battery, and went south. He participated in the following engagements: Corinth, Iuka, Vicksburg and Chattanooga and was with Sherman on his march through Georgia to the sea and through the Carolinas, taking a part in most of the battles of that noted campaign. He returned home at the expiration of the time for which he enlisted. He was joined in marriage in August, 1869, to Margaret Householder, a native of Ohio. They are the parents of six children --- James B, Daniel I, Elgin S, Mary L, Rollie R and Arthur J. Mr. Norman's farm, where he settled at the time of his marriage, is located on section 32, of the town of Henrietta. He has a good frame house and a log stable 20x90 feet. Sixty acres of the farm are cleared and under cultivation.
Caleb H Norman was born in the town of Ora, May 17, 1844, and came to Wisconsin with his parents. He assisted his father and brother in clearing the farm. In January, 1865, he enlisted in the 46th Wisconsin, company G, serving as fifer in the band. He was discharged in October, 1865, and returned home. He was married Nov. 10, 1867, to Angelina A Bronhard, who was born in Marion Co., Ind. They have four children --- Nettie J, Ettie M, Mertie E and Mary Belle. His farm is in the Norman valley, where he settled at the time of his marriage, on section 20.
James Norman, also a native of the town of Ora, was born Feb. 8, 1846, and was four years of age when his parents emigrated to Wisconsin, where he grew up with the country, living with his parents until 1875. In that year he purchased the old homestead, and his parents moved to section 17, where they now reside. He was married in November to Delia A, daughter of Perry and Sophronia (Blodgett) Brown. They have two children --- Mary J and James Elmer.
Robert M Stockwell, one of the early settlers of Richland county, is a native of Vermont, born in Chittenden county, March 7, 1829. When he was seven years of age his parents moved to Washington Co., Vt. and here he grew to manhood's estate, obtaining his education in the district school. He was married in 1853 to Amelia D, daughter of Benjamin and Amelia (Hazeltine) Davis, who was born in Mooretown, Washington Co., Vt. They remained in Vermont until 1856 and then came to Wisconsin and first located on Fancy creek, where he rented a farm. In 1861 he purchased timber land on section 21, town of Henrietta, built a log cabin, into which his family moved, and he then commenced clearing his present farm. In November, 1863, he was drafted in the 37th Wisconsin, company H, and joined the Army of the Potomac in front of Petersburg, and served with the regiment until the close of the war, and was discharged July 27, 1865. He may well be considered one of the most successful farmers in Richland county. His farm now contains 260 acres. In 1883 he erected a neat frame house. Mr. and Mrs. Stockwell have five children living --- Eli, Carlos, Ezra, Lelah and Abbie.
Henry Travers, an early settler of Henrietta, is a native of Indiana, born in Posey county, Dec. 22, 1827. At the age of eleven he removed with his parents to Wayne Co., Ill., where they were among the early settlers and the subject of this sketch began his pioneer life. His father purchased wild land, which he assisted in clearing. He was married in 1851 to Sabrina Bradshaw, a native of Illinois. He purchased land in Ramsey township, Wayne county, and lived there until 1857, when he sold out and started with two pairs of oxen and a wagon to seek a home in the far west. His family accompanied him, and he drove thirty head of stock. After traveling twenty-one days they arrived at Woodstock. He purchased timber land on section 30, town of Henrietta, and immediately began clearing. The family lived in a log house until 1873, when he built a good frame dwelling. Mr. Travers has been three times married. His first wife died March 19, 1876, leaving seven children --- Arthur, Mary, Ella, Orilla, Emma, Willie and Ina. He married again, in 1878, to Nancy Silbaugh, a native of Ohio who died in 1880. His present wife was Susan Eusie. One child has blessed this union --- Frederick.
His son, Arthur W, was born in Wayne Co., Ill., March 7, 1853. He came to this county, town of Henrietta, with his parents in 1857, where he grew to manhood. He was educated in the district school and at the seminary at Elroy, Wis. In September, 1875, he engaged in the mercantile business in the village of Woodstock, town of Henrietta, purchasing at that time the stock and good-will of Bradshaw Brothers. On Dec. 24, 1875, he was married to Rosa Hoyt, a native of Ohio. One child blessed this union --- Harry, born May 30, 1878. In 1880 Andrew Snyder became his partner in business and the firm is now known as Travers & Snyder. They keep a general stock of dry goods, notions, groceries, boots and shoes, hats and caps and farming implements and repairs for the same. They are also produce shippers and live stock brokers.
Anson Stowell was an early settler in Rockbridge. He came there in 1857 and bought land on section 14, and built a substantial log house, 18x24 feet, which at that time was called Buck Creek mansion. He sold the following year to John Clarson, and moved to Henrietta, purchased land on section 32, and built a frame house. He cleared a portion of the land and lived there until 1861, when he traded for land on section 5, town of Rockbridge. He cleared some of this land, built a log house and frame barn, and remained here till 1867, when he returned to Henrietta and settled on section 17. Here he erected another log house and a commodious frame barn. In 1881 he bought the Perry Brown farm on section 18, and now makes that his home. Upon this place there is a nice frame house, built by Perry Brown. Mr. Stowell has built a frame barn upon this farm making the fourth built by him in the county. He has some of the best improvements in the town. He is a native of the State of New York, born in Rensselaer county, March 3, 1830. When he was twelve years old his parents moved to Oneida county, where he attained his majority. He was married Dec. 29, 1849, to Martha R, daughter of Holsey and Sarah (Vannetar) Carpenter. They are the parents of ten children --- James W, Mary A, Harland P, Miranda, Sarah E, Charles H, Dudley H, Fannie A, William E and Samuel E.
Robert Douglas Meeker, part owner of the Yuba flouring mill and also of the Woodstock mills, is an only son of John A and Matilda (Stevenson) Meeker, born in Iowa Co., Wis., Aug. 2, 1849. When he was nine years of age his parents moved to Richland county and he commenced learning the miller's trade in his father's mill at Woodstock. He was engaged in 1862-3 in brickmaking at Woodstock. In February, 1865, he enlisted in the 50th regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers, but was sent as a recruit to company D, 7th Wisconsin, and joined the regiment in front of Petersburg, remaining at the front until March 28, when he was taken sick and sent to the hospital. He lost his speech and did not regain it for three months. He was honorably discharged in June, 1865, when he returned home. In 1868 he went to Milwaukee and worked in a machine shop ten months, he then returned to Woodstock and engaged in milling two years and next to Richland Center, where he worked as sawyer in Parfrey & Pease's mill. He then returned to Woodstock and again engaged in milling, remaining there until 1882, when he built his present mill. Mr. Meeker is a natural mechanic and readily turns his hand to anything in that line. He has been employed to quite an extent in the capacity of millwright. He was married in 1872 to Elizabeth, daughter of Demas and Elizabeth (Nicholson) Wherry. They have three children --- Jessie R, Lee and Alice.
Jeremiah Koch settled in the town of Henrietta in 1861. He purchased land on section 36. He has since cleared a farm, and erected a neat frame house, a commodious log barn and also a saw-mill. He is a native of Pennsylvania, born in York county. When he was eight years of age, his parents moved to Perry county and continued to reside there until he was eighteen years old, when he moved to Cumberland county. In the fall of 1834 he went to Ohio and spent the winter, and in the spring of 1835 he emigrated to Indiana and settled in Cass county, where they were among the early settlers. Here the subject of this sketch was married, in 1838, to Mary Shueya, a native of Pennsylvania. They remained in Cass county until 1852, and then came to Wisconsin and settled in Sauk county. He bought eighty acres of land in Spring Green, where he improved a farm and lived until 1861, when, as before stated, he came to Henrietta. Mr. Koch has taken an interest in public affairs, and has filled offices of trust in the town. Mr. and Mrs. Koch have been blessed with thirteen children, ten of whom are now living --- John H, Catharine, Sophia, Jeremiah Mattison, William, Michael, Eliza, Rebecca, Jane and Amos.
John Fowler settled in Henrietta in 1861. He was born in Hancock Co., W.Va., July 25, 1812, where his younger days were spent upon a farm. In 1854 he visited Michigan for the purpose of finding a desirable place to locate. After remaining there a short time, he returned home without purchasing land. In the fall of 1855, taking his family, he started with two teams for Wisconsin. They carried their own provisions and camped on the way. After four weeks' travel they reached Sauk City, where they spent the winter. In the spring of 1856, he went to Sauk Prairie and engaged in farming, remaining there until February, 1861, when he came to Henrietta, and settled on land on section 7, the south half of the northeast quarter, which he had purchased in 1857. He has cleared quite a piece of this land, and built a good frame house and barn. In June, 1856, he bought the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of section 18, driving the first wagon from Debello, Vernon county, to Yuba, that was ever driven down the valley, and now makes this his home. He, in company with his son John W, is engaged in farming and stock raising, making a specialty of Merino sheep, of which they have a large flock of full bloods. He was joined in marriage Sept. 3, 1835, to Sarah Allison, who was born in Hancock Co., W.Va., June 15, 1816. They have seven children --- Richard J, Allison, James B, Mary, Burgess, Sarah S and John W. He settled at the time of his marriage on a farm lying on sections 8 and 18, that he had bought in company with his brother in 1870. In 1880 he bought his brother's farm, the William Joslyn place, on section 7, the north half of the southeast quarter, and now makes this his home. Mr. and Mrs. Fowler are the parents of two children --- David P and Bertha A.
Their son Allison was born in Hancock Co., Dec. 12, 1838 and came to Wisconsin with his parents. In 1861, at the first call for three years men, he enlisted in the 6th Wisconsin, company A, and was killed in the battle of Hatch's Run, in February, 1865. Previous to this he had been wounded three times.
Their son, John W, was born in Hancock county, Oct. 31, 1850, and was in his fifth year when his parents came to Wisconsin. His younger days were spent on the farm and in school. He was married Oct. 18, 1874, to Eva M, daughter of Lattimore and Lucy (Joslyn) Renick.
Their son, Burgess, was born in Hancock county, Nov. 30, 1844. He came with his parents to Wisconsin, and continued to live them until 1863, when he enlisted in the 17th regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers; went to Vicksburg, Miss.; came home on veteran furlough with the regiment; returned to the army in March, 1864; was assigned to the Army of the Tennessee; was in all the battles in which the 17th army corps was engaged --- Resaca, Dallas, Kennesaw Mountain, siege of Atlanta, Lovejoy station, march to the sea, through South and North Carolina to Washington in May, 1865; to Louisville, Ky., in June, 1865; sent from Louisville, Ky., to Madison to be discharged, in July, 1865; arrived at home Aug., 5, 1865, and remained there until twenty-six years old. He was then married to May J, daughter of George and Mary (Welsh) Norman, and settled on a farm on section 7, which he had previously purchased of William Joslyn. In 1879, he went to Wonewoc, Wis., and worked at wagon making for fifteen months. He then engaged in mercantile business at Yuba, where he is now doing a good business. Mr. and Mrs. Fowler have two children --- Winnie J and Willie A.
John W Ferguson is one of the successful farmers of Henrietta. In 1866 he purchased the first land he ever owned. It was in the town of Bloom, consisting of forty acres. He did not settle upon it, however, but soon sold it and bought eighty acres on section 30, town of Henrietta. He cleared a part of this land, built a log house and lived there until 1870, when he sold it and purchased eighty acres on section 19, where he built a good frame house and a large granary, and he now makes this his home. He has since purchased his father's homestead, which adjoins his land, and his farm now contains 215 acres, 120 of which are cleared. He has a log barn, 20x60 feet, and a frame barn 30x40 feet. He first engaged in raising grain, but has lately turned his attention more to stock raising. He is a native of Guernesey Co., Ohio, born April 15, 1843, and is the son of John T and Sarah (Robins) Ferguson. He came to Wisconsin with his parents in 1864. That year he joined the 16th Wisconsin, company G, went south and joined Sherman's army at Atlanta; was in the famous march to the sea and through the Carolinas, and was discharged on June 2, 1865. He was married Jan. 15, 1875, to Jane Stout, who was born in Ohio. Three children have been born to them --- Nellie May, George Francis and Della A.
Henry T Walser, proprietor of the Walser mill, is a native of a southern State, having been born in Rowan Co., NC, in April, 1822. He was eight years of age when his parents moved to Illinois and settled in Edwards county where they were pioneers. His father purchased timber land, cleared a farm and lived there until the time of his death. It was here that the subject of this sketch grew to manhood. When he was seventeen years old, his father built a saw-mill, in which he was employed five years. He then purchased the mill, and built a flour-mill, which he operated in connection with the saw-mill for six years. At the end of that time, he sold out and engaged in mercantile business. Three years later he sold the store, and built another mill in Edwards county, which he operated until 1866, when he came to Richland county and located at Woodstock and engaged again in mercantile business, which he continued until 1869. He then sold out and built the mill which he now operates. He has been twice married --- first in 1844, to Patsy Doty, a native of Indiana. They had nine children, six of whom are now living --- Martin, Rebecca, Solomon, Harriet, Lori and Hiram. Mrs. Walser died in 1866. Mr. Walser's second wife was Almira Bradshaw, widow of Rev. Thomas Mason. One child blessed this union, but died in infancy.
His son, Hiram H Walser, was born in Edwards Co., Ill., in October, 1860. He came to Woodstock with his parents and received his early education in the district school. At the age of sixteen he went to work in his father's mill. He has continued in the same business ever since, and now has charge of the mill. He was married in 1881 to Eva Simmons, a native Green Co., Wis. They have one child --- Lewie. Mr. Walser is town clerk, elected in April, 1883.
John Dunn, the chairman of the town board of Henrietta, is a native of Orange Co., NY, born March 2, 1854. When he was three years of age, his parents moved to Wisconsin and located at Madison, Dane county, where they lived four years and then removed to Middleton, in the same county, remained there six years and then came to Henrietta, where the subject of this sketch attained his majority, obtaining a liberal education in the district school. He was united in marriage, in 1879, with Mary McDonald. Three children have been born to them --- James, Ellen and Frank. At the time of his marriage he settled upon his present farm on section 28. Mr. Dunn is a public spirited man and has taken an active part in town affairs. He has filled the offices of town clerk and side supervisor, and was elected to his present office in April, 1883.
Wensel Hynek, the present assessor of the town of Henrietta, is a native of Bohemia, born in 1847. When he was but eleven years old, his parents came to America and settled in Vernon county, town of Union, where he grew to manhood, obtaining an education in the district school. He was married in 1867 to Josephine Plachetka. They remained in Vernon county one year, and then came to Richland county and bought timber land on section 5, town of Henrietta, and immediately began clearing a farm. In 1883 he erected a two-story, hewed log house, in which he now lives. He has taken a prominent part in town affairs, and was elected to his present office in April, 1883. Mr. and Mrs. Hynek are the parents of six children --- John, Anna, Joseph, Francis, Josephina and Betty.
Oswald Palmer, a member of the board of supervisors, is a native of England, was born in Northumberland, in 1845, and was there brought up on a farm, receiving his education by private tuition. When he was twenty-one years old he went to Newcastle, and was there employed as clerk in a store, remaining until 1869, when he came to America, and joined friends in Milwaukee. He remained there but a few days, when he formed the acquaintance of Perry Brown and came with him to Henrietta. He was married in 1870 to Mary, daughter of Bronson and Julia F Greaves. He settled on section 17, where he lived until 1877, when he purchased land on section 21, and moved on to it. He has been successful as a farmer and now has 350 acres of land. He was elected to his present office in April, 1883. He has served as justice of the peace, and held different offices in the school district; and as a public man, has proven himself worthy in every position he has been called upon to fill. He is also deacon in the Advent Church, and has the respect of his fellow-men.
There were 2888 visitors at our previous host from 13 Mar 2006 to 2 Aug 2011 and 2442 visitors to a previous site from 11 Mar 2001 to 13 Mar 2006.