The first permanent settlement within the limits now comprising the town of Marshall was made in 1852. During the spring of that year John G and Simon Marshall, natives of Jefferson Co., Ohio, came here and entered 160 acres of land on sections 3, 4, 9 and 10. In the fall of 1852 their mother, then a widow, came, accompanied by two sons, Mahlon and George. They lived together until 1855, when Simon died, and soon afterward the mother was taken sick and went to live with her daughter, Mrs. John Hart, where she died Dec. 25, 1855. John G went to the mountains and engaged in mining for a time; then returned and settled on the southwest quarter of section 6. He now lives in Tennessee. Mahlon died in 1879. George now occupies a portion of the old homestead.
A P Hyde came here from the State of New York in 1851, and claimed the east half of the northeast quarter of section 24. In 1853 he sold the claim and moved to Richland Center. He now lives in the town of Rockbridge.
Archibald Wanlass, a native of West Virginia, came here in the spring of 1852 and entered the southwest quarter of section 5. He settled here in the fall of 1854 and has since made this his home.
Robert R Wilson came from the eastern part of the State in 1852 and claimed the northeast quarter of section 10. In 1853 he sold to Josiah McCaskey and removed to Vernon county, where he laid out the village of Kickapoo Center, and still lives there.
Josiah McCasky entered the land Mr. Wilson had claimed, and improved the farm, remaining here until the time of his death.
Harvey Gillingham, a native of Ohio, came here in the spring of 1852 and entered land on sections 11 and 12. He erected a log cabin on the southwest quarter of section 12, and remained here until he died.
Louis and Nelson Muso, Canadian Frenchmen, came here in 1853. Louis located on the southeast quarter of section 13; and Nelson bought the claim of A P Hyde, on section 24. They remained here a few years, then sold out and moved away.
In the fall of 1853 William Minett and John Graham, natives of England, came from Rock Co., Wis., and made the first settlement on Horse creek, in the town of Marshall. William Minett entered land on section 35. John Graham, for himself and others, entered land on sections 34 and 35. The two then returned to Rock county and remained until October, 1854, when they came back accompanied by Thomas and Charles Graham and James Ward. Mr. Minett settled on the land which he had entered and still lives there. John Graham settled on the east half of the northeast quarter of section 34, where he improved a farm, erected a stone house and lived until after the close of the war. He now resides in the town of Henrietta. Thomas Graham settled on the southwest quarter of section 35 and is still a resident. Charles Graham and James Ward both settled upon the farms on section 35, where they still live.
Thomas Knouse came from Ohio in 1854, and located on section 4. A few months later he sold to Jacob Ream and moved away. Ream came from Indiana. He remained here several years, then sold out and removed to Nebraska.
Martin Copenhefer, a native of Ohio, came from Indiana in 1854 and entered land on section 3. He improved a farm and lived here until 1880, when he sold his property and moved to Spring Valley.
Edward Pinnick, a native of Ohio, came here in 1854 and settled on the northeast quarter of section 6. Two years later he sold out and removed to the town of Henrietta, where he erected a saw-mill and laid out the village of Yuba. He has since removed to Nebraska.
R Brewer, a native of Vermont, purchased the land which Pinnick had claimed, on section 6, in the town of Marshall. He cleared about twenty-five acres and lived here until 1866, when he sold out and removed to the town of Dayton where he still lives.
Jonathan Totten, a native of Ohio, came here in 1854 and settled on section 3, where he lived until the time of his death. His son Oliver now owns the homestead.
Arthur Cook, a native of Pennsylvania, came here from Ohio in the fall of 1852 and entered the southwest quarter of section 31, where he still lives.
Benjamin W Queen, also a native of Pennsylvania, came at about the same time and entered land on section 8. When the war broke out he enlisted and died in the service. The family still occupy the old homestead.
John Hart, a native of Ohio, came in the fall of 1854 and entered land on section 11. He improved a farm and lived there until the time of his death.
Daniel Noble, a Scotchman, came here from Ohio in 1854 and entered the northwest quarter of section 3. He still owns the land but lives with his son on section 24.
Henry Merrill, a native of Ohio, in 1854 entered land on section 15. In March, 1855, he settled upon the land, where he still lives.
Joseph Benton, Sr., a native of Scotland, came here from Ohio in 1854 and settled on section 12, where he lived until the time of his death. His son Joseph came the following year and located on section 14, where he still lives.
Richard Caddell, a native of the State of New York, came from Ohio in 1854, and bought land on section 22. He settled here in 1856, and remained until the war broke out, when he enlisted and died in the service. The family still occupy the old homestead.
The first settlement on what is known as English Ridge, was made by James Brightman, a native of England, who came here from Walworth county in 1854, and entered land on sections 27 and 34. He settled here in the spring of 1855, but a few months later sold to John McKy and moved to section 28. Mr. Brightman now lives in Richland Center.
In the fall of 1854 John Anderson, a former sailor, came here from Walworth county, and entered land on section 28. He shortly afterward sold to James Brightman and removed to Illinois. He now lives in Iowa.
John Donegan, an Irishman, came from Illinois in 1854 and entered a tract of land on section 34. After a time he was appointed postmaster of the Buckeye postoffice, he got into trouble, was convicted of robbing the mails and sent to the State penitentiary at Waupun. Upon his release he removed to Janesville.
Among those who came in 1855 and secured homes were the following: Daniel Slusser, Henry Kepler, Alanson Clark, Joseph Kerby, George Davis, William Coulter, T Knapp, Joseph Moon, William Richards, John and Abraham Harris.
Daniel Slusser came from Indiana. He located on section 9, where he remained a few years, then sold out and removed to his former home.
Henry Kepler was a native of Pennsylvania, but came here directly from Ohio. He entered land on section 30, where he still lives. His son, William F, came at the same time and entered land on section 31. His home is now on section 30. Joseph, another son, lives in the town of Marshall, and Sylvester, another, resides at Boaz.
Alanson Clark, a native of Ohio, came here in 1855 and bought land of John Fogo, on section 12. There he lived until the time of his death.
Joseph Kerby was a native of the State of Maryland, but came here from Indiana. He entered land on section 30, where he still lives.
George Davis was a native of Virginia. He came from Indiana during 1855 and selected land on section 30, where he still lives.
William Coulter, a native of Ohio, came from Indiana in the fall of 1855 and entered the northwest quarter of section 7, where he still lives.
T Knapp came here from Ohio in 1855 and settled on section 18. A few years later he sold that place and settled on section 31. He now resides in the town of Rockbridge.
Joseph Moon and William Richards were natives of England. Mr. Moon entered land on section 27, where he still lives. Mr. Richards also selected land on section 27. He remained there until the time of his death; and the family still occupy the old homestead.
John Harris and son, Abraham, natives of England, came here from Walworth county in November, 1855. The father entered 200 acres of land on section 28, and is still a resident. Abraham remained here until the time of his death.
Joseph Conkel, a native of Pennsylvania, came in 1855 and settled on the southeast quarter of section 29. He improved the land and remained for a number of years; then traded the property for a farm in the town of Dayton, where he still lives.
William Ewers, a native of Ohio, also came in 1855. He settled on section 31. His present residence is in the town of Dayton.
Patrick Redington, a native of Indiana, came at an early day and settled on section 7, where he still lives.
William Hall, a native of Virginia, came here in 1856 and settled on section 4. He is now in business at Chicago.
Thomas G Ewers, a native of Virginia, came from Ohio in 1856 and settled on the southwest quarter of section 29. He lived there until the time of his death.
Thomas Parsons, an Englishman, came here in 1856 and purchased land on section 28, where he lived until his death, which occurred in 1876.
Abraham Elliott was another early settler. He came from the southern part of the county in 1859 and located on section 17. A few years later he sold to Joseph Berkshire.
The first birth in the town was that of Maria; daughter of Joseph and Margaret (McCannon) Marshall, born April 25, 1852. The girl grew to womanhood and married William Russell, of Carroll Co., Ohio. Her husband is dead, but she still lives there.
Probably the first death in the town was that of Simon Marshall, who died in the summer of 1855. On the 25th of December, 1855, his mother, Mrs. James Marshall, died. They were both buried on section 9.
Joseph McCoy, a native of Pennsylvania, was the first blacksmith in the town. He opened a shop here in 1856 and did horse shoeing, general repair work and manufactured plows. He remained here until 1857, when he went to Vernon (then Bad Ax) county. When the war broke out he enlisted and died in the service.
The first mercantile business in the town was carried on by Joseph Marshall, who sold goods for George Krouskop, and also handled ginseng.
In 1855 Thomas Marshall erected a saw-mill on the northwest quarter of section 14. The power was derived from the north branch of Fancy creek, the water being carried to the mill through a race a quarter of a mile in length. An old fashioned "up and down" saw was put in. The mill could only be run during warm weather, and did but little business in the five years of its existence.
In 1857 William Saltsman erected a saw-mill on the southwest quarter of section 19, equipping it with an "up and down" saw. The power was derived from Mill creek. The water was carried through a race 130 rods in length. The mill commenced operation in November, 1858, and continued until 1870, when it was destroyed by fire. Mr. Saltsman rebuilt the mill and put in a circular saw. In 1880 he sold the property to William Kepler, who put in new machinery, built a log dam and changed the race so that it is now only sixty rods in length.
In 1868 Sylvester Kepler erected a carding mill on the northwest quarter of section 31. The power is derived from Mill creek, a dam having been constructed of logs and stone, securing six feet head of water. The mill is furnished with a carding machine and picker, and is operated during the summer seasons.
In 1871 [or 1872], John and J G Ewers erected a flour mill on section 31 of the town of Marshall. A two story frame building was erected, and the mill was equipped with one run of buhrs and the other necessary machinery for the manufacture of flour. Mill creek furnishing the power by which the mill is run, a dam of earth and lumber having been constructed which secures eight feet head of water. It is run as a custom mill.
The first school in the town of Marshall was taught in 1855 by Susan Wanlass, now the wife of John Blair, in a small log building erected for the purpose by the people in the neighborhood. It stood on land owned by Joseph Benton, on the southwest quarter of section 14. The building was put up at a "bee." The floor was made of puncheons, the roof of bark and the building had no door. Only one term was taught in this building. In 1857 a house was erected of hewn logs on the northwest quarter of section 13, in which Mary Marshall taught the first school. This building was used until 1868, when a frame house was erected on the southwest quarter of section 13. J H Ewing taught the first school in this building. This is a "union district."
The first school house in district No. 2 was erected in 1856 on section 4. This building was also put up by a "neighborhood bee." The roof was covered with shakes. William McMillan was the first teacher. The house was moved to the northeast quarter of section 9, where it was in use until 1883, when a neat frame building was erected on the southeast quarter of section 4. Robert R Benton taught the first school in this building.
Joint district No. 1 embraces territory in the towns of Marshall, Bloom and Rockbridge. It was organized in 1866 and a log school house was erected on the southeast quarter of section 2. John Mathews taught the first term of school in this house. In 1882 a large frame building was erected on the old site in which William E Gillingham was the first teacher.
The first school in district No. 3 was taught by John B Covil in 1866 in a small building erected for the purpose. This building was a primitive affair. Posts were driven into the ground and plank nailed to them; while the roof was covered with plank. But one term of school was taught in this building. The second term was taught by G W Putnam in his log house. In 1867 a substantial hewn log building was erected on the southeast quarter of section 6, in which G W Putnam was the first teacher.
The first school in district No. 4 was held in the pioneer log cabin of William Saltsman, on the southwest quarter of section 19; the teacher being Benjamin Doudna. This was in the winter of 1860-1. During the following year a school house was erected on the southeast quarter of section 19, in which Elam Bailey taught the first term of school.
The first school house in district No. 8 was erected in 1857, on section 27. Amanda Creed was the first teacher. The old school house was in use until 1866, when the present school building was erected on the southwest quarter of section 27. Cordelia Daggett was the first teacher in the present school house.
The first school house in district No. 9 was erected in 1857. It was a hewn log building, located on the southwest quarter of section 29. Martha J Clark was the first teacher. This school house was used until 1866, when a frame house was erected on the northwest quarter of section 32, in which Mary Ward taught the first term of school.
During the year 1857, religious services were held at the house of Joseph Kerby, by Rev. Thomas Mason, from Woodstock. A Methodist Episcopal class was organized here with about seventeen members, among whom were the following: Joseph Kerby and wife, and daughter Rachel, Lewis Huff and William Saltsman and wife. The class kept up their organization for a few years only, meeting at private houses and at the school house on section 29. James Lake and Elder Walker were among the preachers who served the class.
United Brethren Church of Pleasant Valley. Services of this denomination were held in an early day at the house of J H Hindman, on section 2, and also at the residence of Richard Hampton. Among the first members of the Church were Joseph Benton, Jr. and wife, J H Hindman and wife, Richard Hampton and wife and Harvey Gillingham and wife. In 1859 a log church edifice was erected on the northeast quarter of section 2. A few years later this building was moved further south, but on the same section. Here the congregation worshiped until 1881, when a neat church edifice was erected on the southeast quarter of the northwest quarter of section 13, at a cost of $2000. Rev. Nathaniel Smith was one of the first preachers for the society. Since then the following have filled the pulpit: Revs. Howard, Mabbitt, Sutton, Kite, Reed, Alderman, Pound, Bovee, Whitney, Elder Nickey and J W Reed. The latter is the present pastor. In 1884 Elias Gillingham was class leader and the society numbered 126 members. There is a Sabbath school in connection with this Church, which is in flourishing condition. Thomas Gillingham is the present superintendent.
English Ridge United Brethren Church. The first meetings of this denomination were held at the house of John McKy in the fall of 1857. Jeremiah Payne was the first preacher, and under his administration a class was organized with about nineteen members. Among the number were the following: Abraham Harris and wife, Mary Richards, Jacob Hoffman and wife, and John McKy and wife. A. Harris was the first class-leader. The class met in various private houses until the school house was built, when services were held in that. In 1879 they erected a frame church edifice on the southwest quarter of section 27. Among those who have preached for this class are the following: Revs. George Kite, James Howard, G H Mabbitt, Henry Smith, A W Alderman, L Pound, E Bovee, A J Hood, A Whitney and G G Nickey. Rev. J W Reed is the present pastor and Joseph Moon is the class leader. The class now has a membership of about forty.
The Presbyterian Church of Fancy Creek was organized at the house of Alanson Clark, June 11, 1859, by Rev. J H Mathers. The following is a complete history of the Church from its organization. It was published in the Republican-Observer, Jan. 17, 1884:
"Through the assistance of Messrs. Angus Smith, L T Janney and P M Smith, who have compiled the same from the Church records and gathered from those living within the bounds of the Church at the time of its organization, we are enabled to publish the following history and incidents of the Presbyterian Church of Fancy Creek, from its inception down to the present, embracing a period of almost twenty-nine years. From a letter received by Mr. Angus Smith from Rev. J H Mathers, the first Presbyterian minister in this region, who organized this Church and preached to it for several years, and who is still held in grateful remembrance by the people, which was intended to be read on the occasion of the recent dedication of the new church, a full account of which was given in this journal last week, but which was not received in time, we make the following extract. He says: 'In June, 1855, I heard of a family of Presbyterians on Fancy Creek by the name of Noble; I started in search of them. I went to the county seat and inquired of Israel Janney, register of deeds; he knew nothing of them but directed me to Mr. Waddell, near the mouth of Fancy Creek. He informed me that a man of that name had staid with him one time when on a trip to Orion for supplies. He directed me to 'Squire Joe Marshall, of Fancy Creek, for information. He knew the family and gave directions by which I might find them. I wandered through the woods by a path, and my attention was attracted by a company of men raising a house. I then little imagined that in that log cabin which this more pretentious house was to supercede, the Presbyterian Church of Fancy Creek would afterwards be organized, but it was so. It was Mr. Alanson Clark's house which the neighbors were engaged in raising.' We give these few extracts to show how new the country was at that time and the difficulties Mr. Mathers had to contend with. He found the family he was in search of, and who are now life-long friends. Rev. J H Mathers preached at Mr. Noble's and Alanson Clark's every three or four weeks until the year 1859, at which time, previous notice having been given, those friendly to the organization of a Presbyterian Church assembled at the home of Mr. Clark on the 11th of June, 1859, and adopted measures to secure such an organization. After a sermon preached by Rev. Mathers, the following persons united in the formation of a Church to be known as the Presbyterian Church of Fancy Creek, to be in connection with the Presbytery: Alanson Clark, Mrs. Elizabeth Clark, Nancy Clark, John K Polk, Mrs. Catherine Polk, Daniel Noble, Mrs. Margaret Noble, Mrs. Jane Fogo, Mary Wanless, Mrs. Eliza Merrill, T M Ocheltree and Mary McDonald by letter; and Mrs. Ann Marshall and Mrs. Mary Caddell on profession of faith. An election of ruling elders was entered into, which resulted in the choice of Alanson Clark and Daniel Noble, who were set apart on the next day, being Sunday, June 12, 1859, to that office in the presence of the congregation. On July 16, 1859, the session met at the call of the moderator, Rev. Mathers, and Daniel Noble was chosen clerk of session, which office he held for many years. Mrs. Lilly Clark was admitted to membership by letter at this meeting.
Of the original fourteen members at the formation of the Church there are only five living. Their names are: John K Polk, who is very old and feeble, not able to attend Church; Daniel Noble, Mary Wanless, who is now Mrs. Mary Clark, Mrs. Eliza Merrill and Mrs. Mary Caddell.
"The first persons baptized after the formation of the Church, according to records, was Mrs. Mary Caddell and her infant children, Sydney and Rachel. The first communion was administered to the Church Sunday, July 17, 1859.
"On March 19, 1860, there was a congregational meeting held at the house of Alanson Clark for the purpose of electing trustees to take charge of the temporalities of the Church. Rev. J H Mathers was chosen president, and A. Clark was chosen clerk. The election resulted in the choice of Daniel Noble, T M Ocheltree and Angus Smith. The persons present at this, the first congregational meeting were: A Clark, Elizabeth Clark, Nancy Clark, John Clark, Alexander Clark, John Fogo, John Hart, Daniel Noble, D McDonald, Donald Smith, John K Polk, Joseph Benton, Sr., Archibald Wanless, Mrs. Susan Blair, John Blair and John Wanless.
"Sometime during the spring of 1860 the question of the location of a church site and cemetery was taken into consideration, resulting in the choice of the present location. A meeting was held Jan. 28, 1861, at Marshall school house, to adopt measures for erecting a church. It was determined to build a hewed log church, 26x30 feet, and to meet on the 7th day of February to cut and hew the logs. On the day set, the people cut and hewed the logs and Messrs. Angus Smith, Harvey Marshall and Wallace Fogo hauled them to the site. Sometime in June, 1861, it was raised and enclosed as fast as possible. Afterwards it was used for services during the summer and partly completed late in the fall, but was not fully completed for one or two years. Before the erection of this church services were held at the private houses of A Clark, Daniel Noble, John Fogo, Henry Merrill, John Wanless, J K Polk, and sometimes in the barns of Joseph Marshall and John Hart, and later in the old log school house near where the United Brethren church now stands, on land then owned by Joseph Marshall."
The log church was located on the northeast quarter of section 14. This building was used until the summer of 1883. In July, 1883, the society commenced the erection of a large frame church near the old site, which was soon completed. It is 30x50 feet in size, eighteen foot posts, and is valued at $2000.
The Church has had for its pastors since its organization, Revs. J H Mathers, who was its pastor for several years, J M Reid, Peter Dougherty, Lemuel Leonard, John Irwin, T G Pearce and H G Denison, who is now supplying the pulpit in connection with Richland Center. All the pastors are still living except the lamented Mr. Reid, who lost his life in a runaway accident in Ohio several years ago. The present elders are Angus Smith, Daniel Noble and L T Janney. L T Janney is clerk.
At an early day a Sabbath school was organized in connection with this Church. Carrie Morrow is the present superintendent.
The Ash Ridge Regular Baptist Church was organized Aug. 9, 1873, by Rev. N L Sweet, with six members. The following were the first members: G W Putnam and wife, Mrs. Mary E Emery, Mrs. J M Marshall, Mrs. A A Hutton and George H Putnam. G W Putnam was elected deacon, and George H Putnam clerk. This took place at the school house in district No. 3. The society continued to worship at the school house until 1877, when a hewn log church, 20x28 feet in size, was erected on the southeast quarter of section 6. Rev. George D Stevens was the first regular pastor. Succeeding him came Revs. N H Slater, E J Stevens, W S Sweet, Elder Chapin and Alfred Prouty. The latter is the present pastor. The class has flourished, and now has twenty-five members.
A Sabbath school was organized in 1871, at the school house, with G W Putnam as superintendent. He has since held that position. The school meets every Sunday, and has an average attendance of twenty.
In the fall of 1882 Rev. Elihu Bailey organized a class at the Lowry school house, on section 19. There were fourteen members, as follows: B H Thomas and wife, Francis Harris and wife, Mrs. Joseph Berkshire, Martha Robbins, W F Myers and wife, William T Blazer and wife, Francis Lowry and wife, and David Reid and wife. B H Thomas was chosen class leader, and Francis Harris, stewart. Soon after organization the class erected a log church building on section 20. Rev. Bailey has been pastor since the organization of the class. There is a Sabbath school organization in connection with this class, of which Martha Robbins is superintendent.
Mill Creek postoffice was first established in the town of Sylvan, with Thomas A Merrill as postmaster. A few years later Henry Kepler was appointed postmaster, and kept the office at his house on section 31 in the town of Marshall. The office was on the mail route from Tomah to Muscoda, mail being received twice each week. R H Bond succeeded Mr. Kepler as postmaster and kept the office at his residence, on section 25, in the town of Sylvan. The next postmaster was Alvin S Bailey, and the office was removed to section 34, in the town of Marshall. John Ewers succeeded Mr. Bailey and kept the office on section 36, in the town of Sylvan, at his residence. L D Bailey was the next postmaster, and again the office was removed to the town of Marshall. John G Ewers succeeded Mr. Bailey and is the present postmaster.
This postoffice was established in 1856. Josiah McCaskey was appointed the first postmaster, but was succeeded very soon after his appointment by Joseph Marshall. Mr. Marshall received his commission in September, 1856, and was authorized to remove the office to "Marshall's Mill." Mail was received once a week from Richland Center. Since that time the following have served as postmaster or deputy-postmaster, of this office --- Josiah McCaskey, Joseph Marshall, John Hart, Friend Morrison, Mathew R Smith, M C Davis, William Gross and M C Davis. The last named was postmaster when the office was discontinued in 1882.
This postoffice was established in 1856. William Bailey was appointed first postmaster and kept the office at his house on section 20, mail at that time being received once each week from Muscoda. A few years later John Donagan was appointed postmaster, and moved the office to section 34. After a time the postmaster got into trouble. He was indicted and convicted of robbing the mails and was sent to the penitentiary at Waupun, and the office was discontinued.
This postoffice was established in 1881. Hugh Morrow was appointed postmaster and still keeps the office at his store, on section 13. The office is on the mail route from Richland Center to Viola, mail being received tri-weekly.
The town of Marshall assumed its present limits in 1856. The first town election was held on the 19th of April, 1856, at the house of Josiah McCaskey. The following were the first town officers elected: Supervisors, Archibald Wanlass, chairman, Henry Merrill and Abraham Harris; clerk, Andrew Wentz; assessor, John Ewers; treasurer, John Hart; justices of the peace, James Brightman, Andrew Wentz and John Fogo.
At the annual election held in April, 1883, the following town officers were chosen for the ensuing year: Supervisors, P M Smith, chairman, William Turnipseed and J Truesdale; clerk, R R Benton; treasurer, J B Coulter; assessor, Isaac Doudna; justices, J Benton, Elihu Bailey and G W Putnam; constables, E Turnipseed, Frank Doudna and Joseph Jones.
The cemetery in connection with the Presbyterian church was laid out by Rev. J H Mathers during the war. The first burial here was of the remains of a daughter of William Smith, who died in 1862.
In 1876 Thomas Borland surveyed an addition to the cemetery. A tax of $2 was levied on each lot to raise money to fence the grounds and keep the same in repair. The cemetery contains seventy-four lots, each one rod square.
The present officers of the cemetery organization are: P M Smith, Alexander Smith and Henry Merrill, trustees; P M Smith, clerk.
In the following biographical sketches are to be found some of the oldest pioneers of Richland county.
William J, son of Daniel and Margaret P (Iregham) Noble, was born in Columbiana Co., Ohio, July 16, 1841. He came to Richland county with his parents, where he remained until November, 1862, when he enlisted in company F, 2d Cavalry. He was badly wounded at an engagement near Yazoo City, Miss., and was sent to Washington Hospital, at Memphis, where he remained four months. He was discharged with the regiment at Austin, Texas, Nov. 15, 1865, returned home and resumed farming. On Feb. 4, 1878, he was married to Deliah, daughter of Martin and Elizabeth Copenhefer. They have one child --- Ella A. He occupies a portion of the old homestead on section 3.
Lot T Janney, eldest son of Israel and Elizabeth (Miller) Janney, was born in Logan Co., Ohio, May 4, 1842. He came to Richland county with his parents, and here received his education in the pioneer schools. In 1864, he went with his father to Colorado, where he remained for three years, then returned to Richland county. He was married in April, 1869, to Maggie, daughter of John and Jane Fogo. They have three children, all of whom are now living --- John, Mary and Wilburtie. Mr. Janney was engaged in farming until 1881, when he bought a steam saw-mill, which he put in operation in the town of Marshall. In 1883 he disposed of this property and engaged in mercantile trade in the same town.
William Janney, a pioneer of Buena Vista town, was born in Loudon Co., Va., Oct. 7, 1815. When he was but fourteen years of age his parents removed to Ohio. When he was seventeen years old he commenced learning the tailor's trade at Monroe, Mich., and served four years, and then worked at the trade as journeyman, in Logan Co., Ohio. In 1847 he came to Richland county, and made a claim in what is now the town of Buena Vista, and remained two years, then sold and returned to Ohio. In 1852, he again came to Richland county and remained until 1859; four years of this time he was a clerk in the register's office. In 1859 he went to California and spent a few months, then returned to Ohio and remained three years. He then came to Richland Center, and opened a tailor shop, which he run one year, then sold out and went west and spent several years in Colorado, Iowa and Nebraska. He now makes his home with his nephew, Lot M Janney, in the town of Marshall.
Joseph Marshall, a prominent man of Richland county, and the pioneer of the town of Marshall, which territory bears his name, was born in Columbiana Co., Ohio, March 25, 1820. His father was a large owner of timber land, and the subject of this sketch spent considerable of his time clearing portions of the same, while his brothers were employed in farming. He was married in April, 1851, to Margaret McCannon, a native of New Brunswick. The day following they started west to seek a home, embarked on a steamboat at Wellsville and came to Muscoda, and the next day started in company with Alexander Bartley to seek a desirable location, but the land in that vicinity did not suit him. The party showing him the country inquired what kind of land he wanted, to which Mr. Marshall replied, "I want land where there is plenty of wood and water." "Well" said the man, "we will have to go back into Richland county, where you can not clear a farm in a life time." This remark, intended to deter him from going thither, did not have that effect; he had cleared two farms, and freely understood all about it. So the following day, with Mr. Bartley, started on foot for the wilds of Richland county. They were informed that there were two men, Amasa Haskins and Jule Preston, living in the northern part of the county, engaged in bear hunting. Toward night they chanced to find a log cabin, roofed on one side only, and a place cut out for a door, the only evidence of an intended habitation. Mr. Marshall suggested that the night be spent at this place, but Mr. Bartley said "nobody lives here." "Then" said Mr. Marshall, "there will not be anyone to put us out," and they accordingly took peacable possession. A few minutes afterward, Mr. Preston, the owner, returned in company with his wife. The travelers asked if they could stop all night, and found they were welcome, and soon they were partaking of a supper of corn bread and venison, with an appetite and relish known only to tired and hungry men. This cabin was located on what is now section 29, town of Rockbridge. In the morning Mr. Preston started out to show them land, and Mr. Marshall selected the north half of section 13, town 11, range 1 west, and the same day returned to Muscoda. Not wishing to lose any time, the next day he purchased a cow, and the day then following hired a man with a team to transfer his goods, while he and his bride trudged along on foot, driving the cow; arriving at Mr. Preston's cabin they remained over night, and the following morning he took an ax and started for his land, but could not find it and returned. The next morning a man by the name of Meeks, who was stopping at Amasa Haskins, hitched up his horses, loaded up the goods and provisions, and accompanied by Mr. Preston, they started for the land. Arriving at Amasa Haskins, and, finding the team too heavily loaded for the condition of the roads or lack of roads, they left the goods in a fence corner, covered them with shakes, and proceeded on their way, cutting a road as they went, and finally reached their destination. Here a rude shelter of brush and poles was hastily constructed, and pioneer life commenced in earnest. Mr. Meeks fed his horses some corn brought along for the purpose, and what they did not fully clean up, was gathered by Mr. Marshall and used for seed. He immediately commenced clearing and chopped in the seed. He thus raised a small crop of corn, potatoes and garden vegetables. They continued to live in their improvised covering, if covering it could be called, until fall, then erected a log cabin with puncheon floor and shake roof. That same fall he went to Sextonville with George Hancock to purchase provisions, and on their way back discovered a pile of lumber on the site of the present village of Richland Center, which Ira Hazletine had left there to make good a claim to the land. At that time a few furrows ploughed were the only evidences of improvement.
Mr. Marshall was soon after elected justice of the peace. Among the law cases in his court one is referred to as indicative of primitive methods of administering justice. German Tadder had shot George Hancock's dog and the latter thought he must be made to suffer the legal penalty, and came to 'Squire Marshall for advice and methods of redress, insisting that he was the proper officer and must advise him accordingly. Marshall was not much learned in law and tried to have him drop the matter, but all such attempts to dispose of the case proved unavailing, and he finally asked Hancock if he was able to handle this disturber of the peace; receiving an affirmative reply, he summed up the case and gave the following characteristic verdict: "Then give him a damn good licking the next time you get a good chance," which disposition of the case seemed satisfactory, and Hancock went away. A few weeks after Mr. Marshall had a barn raising and the people for miles around came together, among them were Tedder and Hancock, meeting here for the first time since the advice had been given; they there and then settled the matter with their fists, Hancock coming out victorious, and they were ever afterward good friends. In 1854 Mr. Marshall went to Galena with a load of goods for a family who we(re) removing back to Illinois. Edward Pinnock sent by him to get a barrel of whisky, and having purchased the same he started on his return. Night coming on he applied at the house of an Irishman for accommodations, but they positively refused to entertain him --- said they had nothing to eat and no place for him to sleep. Pleading was of no avail, he must go on. "Well," says Mr. Marshall, "have something to take with me," and he led the way to the wagon. he had already tapped the barrel and had a straw ready. The man and woman each mounted the wagon and took turns at the straw. It was then their hearts were softened and they asked him to spend the night, in fact, he was welcome as long as he had a mind to stop. Soon after this Mr. Marshall was called upon to marry a German who lived in the town of Forest, but refused to tie the knot, saying he did not know how. "yes, you must," says the Dutchman, "because you vas a shustice mit der beece." "No," says Marshall, "I never attended but one marriage in my life and that was my own." "Vell," replied the Dutchman, "Mr. Darnell has been married couple of times, you come mit us to him and he ell you all about it." So they took supper and started on a tramp of nine miles. The road led them by Pinnock's and Mr. Marshall suggested to the Dutchman that he take along some whisky. "Yaw, by shiminy, if I had a schug," says the Dutchman. They called at Pinnock's and Marshall borrowed a coffee pot, which the Dutchman had filled with whisky and they proceeded on their way, calling at Mr. Darnell's for instruction. The wedding did not occur until morning, when the couple were made happy by being pronounced husband and wife. Mr. Marshall was an industrious, hard working man, and spent but little time hunting. He cleared the greater part of his 320 acres of land, lived there a number of years, and then purchased another place on sections 13 and 14 where he erected a frame house, and lived in it until 1882, when he built another near by, which he now occupies. He has lived in Marshall continuously since his first settlement, except nine months spent in Colorado in 1860. Mrs. Marshall died in August, 1865, leaving five children --- Maria, Elizabeth, Lydia, Thomas and Josie. His second wife, to whom he was married in 1867, was Nettie Starrett; she was born in Washington Co., Vt. In February, 1865, he was drafted into the service, went to Madison, and performed guard duty until the close of the war.
George L, son of James and Maria (Gillingham) Marshall, was born in Columbiana Co., Ohio, Oct. 28, 1839. At the age of thirteen, he came to Richland county with his mother and settled in town 11, range 1 west, now known as Marshall. Three years later, his mother died, and the home circle was broken. He continued to live in the neighborhood, and was employed in farming summers, and attending school, winters. In May, 1861, at the first call for "three years" men, he responded by enlisting in company H, of the 5th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and with the regiment, joined the Army of the Potomac, serving until August, 1864, when he was honorably discharged. He took part in the following engagements: Williamsburg, seven days before Richmond, Chancelorsville, Gettysburg, Rappahannock Station, Fredricksburg, battle of the Wilderness and before Petersburg. When discharged he returned to Marshall and resumed farming. He was joined in marriage in 1865 with Elizabeth, daughter of Daniel and Margaret (Dreghorn) Noble, and settled upon the homestead on section 4. Mrs. Marshall died in 1869, leaving one child --- Allen. In 1874 he was again married to Harriet, daughter of Martin and Elizabeth Copenhefer. They have two children --- Clara and Ella.
John Fogo, Esq., one of the pioneer settlers, was born in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1799. He received the elements of a good education, in the parish school, which he attended until twelve years of age. He was then apprenticed as a weaver, and while learning his trade he enjoyed, among other means of improvement, free access to the parish library, of which he made good use storing up its contents in a memory wonderfully retentive. Gifted with a mind of extraordinary capacity, which was thus cultivated to the highest degree, and in the broadest sense of education. At that period he laid the foundation of his great knowledge of history, both ancient and modern, which remained with him until the day of his death. He came with his parents to America, in 1820, and settled in Columbiana Co., Ohio, and was among the early pioneers in that section. At the time of his settlement in Ohio, it was a new and wild country --- the foot-prints of the savage were barely cold. He removed to Wisconsin in 1853, bringing with him a large family of young children, and settled on Fancy creek, where he again passed through the labors and struggles incident to opening up a new country. He was preceded in his settlement on Fancy creek by only three or four families. From that time he was well known in the county. By his neighbors, he was honored and beloved, and was held in great esteem by all who knew him. He was repeatedly honored by his fellow-townsmen with many offices of honor and trust. He aided in the organization of the town of Marshall; was chairman, which office he held for sixteen years, conse(c)utively, always being elected without opposition. During his whole life he was a constant attendant upon the preaching of the Gospel, in the Presbyterian church, in which he was baptized. In this Church he was a member in full communion for a number of years. He always had a firm conviction in the divine inspiration and truth of the Scriptures, and believed in their inculcations, in order to sustain pure society and a prosperous government. At the close of life, by faith in God, through the Scriptures, he found submission to the divine will, with peace and joy. Mr. Fogo was remarkably genial in his disposition, and his society was highly prized by those who delight in conversation that is intelligent and full of information. Many persons enjoyed his company for an hour or hours, in a very pleasant and profitable manner. His death took place on Friday, Sept. 1, 1876, leaving to mourn his loss, a companion, with whom he lived nearly half a century. Also eight sons and daughters, all of whom, except one, residing in Minnesota, were around the dying bed. Mr. Fogo was a great sufferer for several years, but his final end was free from pain.
Thomas Graham, one of the pioneer settlers of Horse creek valley, is a native of England, born in Cambridgeshire, Dec. 8, 1831, and where his younger days were spent. In 1851 he was married to Elizabeth Martin, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Malpress. She had previously been married to William Martin, who died in 1850. Two children were born to them --- Sarah and Mary J. Sarah died Dec. 24, 1854; Mary J died Dec. 4, 1883. Thomas and Elizabeth Graham started in 1851 to America, in company with his parents. They landed in New York and immediately proceeded west. At the city of Buffalo they were obliged to stop, on account of the illness of his mother, who had been taken sick on board ship. She continued to grow worse and died in a few days. The bereaved family continued their journey to the west, until reaching Wisconsin, they stopped at East Troy, and remained a short time, and the subject of this sketch obtained work on the Chicago & Milwaukee railroad, then moved to Palmyra, and remained one year, and next to Rock county, living there till 1854. In that year they came to Richland county. He and those that came with him were obliged to cut three miles of road before they got to the farms which they now own. Mr. Graham entered land on section 35. He first built a log cabin, then set to work to clear the land. This part of the country at that time was a "howling wilderness," but soon other settlers came in who like him set to work to clear the land and make for themselves homes. He has lived to see a well developed country, supplied with good schools and churches. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Graham --- Maria S, Celina S, Alzena E, John T and Alice L. All of whom have been well educated, some receiving their education in a district school, and some at college. Alzena was born May 13, 1856, and died at the home of her parents June 7, 1883. Mr. Graham has been an industrious, hard-working man, has cleared quite a large farm. His pioneer cabin is replaced by a two-story hewed log house, which is located on sections 34 and 35. His son, John T, was born in the town of Marshall, April, 1859, and has always made this his home. He was married in 1880 to Martha Bannister, a native of Milwaukee. They have one child --- Oscar G. His farm joins his father's on section 35. On June 11, 1883, a cyclone passed through the farms of Thomas and John Graham, Jr., destroying a large amount of timber. Large trees were uprooted and torn to pieces by the storm.
Charles, son of John and Susanna (Poole) Graham, was born in Cambridgeshire, England, Jan. 16, 1834, and came to America with his parents. They at first located at East Troy, but remained there only a short time, going from there to Palmyra, Jefferson county, where he engaged in railroading for one year. They then removed to the town of Milton in Rock county, where his father rented a farm. In 1852 his father died, and in November, 1855, he came to Richland county and located on section 35. He was unmarried at the time, and boarded with his brother-in-law, James Ward, until 1858. He was married in that year, to Sarah E Stanbaugh, who was born in York Co., Penn. He built a hewed log house, which four years later was consumed by fire with all of its contents. The neighbors generously turned out, and two days later, another hewed log house was erected, in which the family resided until 1882, when he built the neat frame house which they now occupy. Mr. and Mrs. Graham have six children --- James C, Charles W, Lydia F, Arthur E, Lucy E and Sarah E.
William Minett was born in Cambridgeshire, England, April 11, 1828. Here he grew to manhood and was reared to agricultural pursuits. At the age of twenty-three he left his native land and came to America. He went to Onondaga county in the State of New York, and there remained for ten months employed in teaming. He then came to Wisconsin and located in Walworth county, and was married in 1852 to Mary A, daughter of John and Susanna (Poole) Graham. He came to Richland county in 1853 and entered land in town 11, range 1 west, in the present town of Marshall, and then in the following year settled here. He at first built a cabin of round logs, which in 1869 was replaced by the neat dwelling which he now occupies. He also built a frame barn 30x45 feet, a granary 20x30 feet, with a stone basement and a sheep shed 16x72 feet. June 11, 1883, a cyclone visited this place and demolished the barn, granary and sheep shed, leveling them to the ground. Mr. Minett, with his accustomed energy, immediately set to work and rebuilt them. He has been a successful farmer. He has purchased land adjoining his farm until it now contains 300 acres, nearly 200 of which are cleared. Mrs. Minett died in 1863 leaving six children --- Eliza, George, Charles, Sarah, Emma and Frank. Mr. Minett was again married in 1864 to Maria A, daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Richards) Moon, and widow of Albert Carlton. Six children have blessed this union --- Joseph C, Josie, Irving J, Walter A, Minnie L and Robert W. Mrs. Minett has one son by her former marriage --- Albert V. He is now a student at Western College, Toleda, Iowa, where he is preparing for the ministry.
Benjamin W Queen (deceased) was born in Luzerne township, Fayette Co., Penn., Sept. 11, 1823, and was one of the pioneers of Richland county. He was reared to agricultural pursuits, receiving a liberal education in the public schools. The account book which he used in school, such as was common in those days, is now in possession of his family, and is prized highly as a memento of the past. He was married in 1850 to Mena A Barclay, who was born in Fox township, Carroll Co., Ohio, March 26, 1824. They settled in Fayette Co., Penn., where they remained until 1854. They then started to seek a home in the west, traveling by steamboat as far as Galena, Ill. They accomplished the remainder of the journey to Richland county by team. He had previously entered land on section 8, town 11, range 1 west, now the town of Marshall, and had a log cabin built into which the family moved immediately upon their arrival in the month of May. He commenced clearing at once, and that year raised a small crop of corn, potatoes and garden vegetables. He remained here and continued clearing and farming until 1865. In March of that year he joined the 11th regiment, company G, Wisconsin Volunteers, and died in the Marine Hospital at Mobile, Sept. 2, 1865. Mr. and Mrs. Queen were the parents of eight children --- Elizabeth G and Mary S, born in Pennsylvania; Phebe C, James B, Sarah E and Joseph B; Virginia A and Benina died in infancy. The four daughters now living are well educated, three of whom have been teachers in the public schools. The farm contains 240 acres and is carried on by the sons, who make their home with their mother and are engaged in raising grain and stock. Mr. Queen was a member of the democratic party, and up to the time of his death adhered firmly to its principles.
Archibald Wanlass, one of the pioneers of Richland county, was born in Wood Co., Va., May 12, 1823. When he was two years of age his parents moved to Wheeling where his father, who was a quarryman, worked at his trade, remaining there six or eight months, then removing to Guernsey Co., Ohio, where he worked for one year, and thence to Harrison county, where his mother died. He was then seven years old. His father next removed to Carroll county, where he grew to manhood, obtaining his education in the district schools. When he was twenty-three years of age he went to Jefferson county, and was there employed in farming for two years, then went to Belmont county, thence to Richland county in 1851. After a short visit he went to Illinois, where he spent the winter. In the spring of 1852 he again visited Richland county and entered land on section 5, town 11, range 1 west, now known as Marshall. He was a single man at the time, and did not immediately settle here, but returned to Ohio, where he remained until fall, then, returning to his land, commenced clearing. In the spring of 1853 he put in his first crop of corn and potatoes. After planting he returned to Ohio. It was in the fall of 1854 that he came to Richland county and settled permanently. He was married in October, 1855, to Ruth A Totten, who was born in Carroll Co., Ohio, June 13, 1836. Ten children have been born to them --- George, William, John, Jonathan E, James, Archibald, Lona Belle, Nora Maud, Christina Mary and Winnie K. Mr. Wanlass has taken an interest in town and county affairs. He has filled offices of honor and trust in the town and county, and was chairman of the first board of the town of Marshall.
John Hart, deceased, one of the pioneers and representative men of Richland county, was born in Columbiana Co., Ohio, March 17, 1826. Here his childhood and youth were spent, his time being occupied in going to school and working upon the farm. He was married in 1844 to Eleanor Marshall, who was also born in Columbiana Co., July 2, 1824. They remained in Ohio until 1854, when they came to Richland county. He entered timber land on section 11, town 11, range 1 west, in the present town of Marshall. The first tree cut on the place was for the pioneer log cabin, afterwards replaced by a neat frame house. He also cleared a large farm and erected a large frame barn. Here he lived until the time of his death, April 14, 1876. He had lived to see the wilderness in which he settled transformed into a finely improved and cultivated country, with good schools and churches. Mr. and Mrs. Hart were the parents of ten children, five of whom are now living --- Maria, Thomas, Millard Fillmore, Caroline and Georgia. Maria is now the wife of James Truesdale. Georgia is married to Frank Doudna. Millard Fillmore occupies the homestead with his mother. He was born in 1855, July 15, and was married in 1877 to Olive, daughter of John and Elvina (Steele) Truesdale. They have one child --- Julian G. Mr. Hart while living had the respect and confidence of his fellow men to a remarkable degree, and his death was a loss not only to his family but to the community and county in which he lived.
Daniel Noble is one of the pioneers of Richland county. He is a native of Scotland and was but ten months old when his parents left their native home and came to America, settling in Columbiana Co., Ohio. Here his childhood and youth were spent. His education was obtained in a subscription school, that being the only opportunity at that time. He was married in 1838 to Margaret Dreghorn, also a native of Scotland, born in Kelmarnich, March 21, 1814. They remained in Columbiana county until 1854, then came to Richland county and entered land in town 11, range 1 west, now the town of Marshall. They came by water as far as Galena, taking passage at Wellsville, Ohio, on the steamer Minnesota Belle. They were twenty-one days in reaching Galena, where they embarked with teams, for Fancy creek. On their arrival they stopped with a neighbor for a short time, while he selected his claim and built a log cabin. The first year he rented a small piece of cleared land and raised a crop of corn and vegetables. He raised the first crop on his own land in 1855, and sowed the first wheat in the fall of that year. He lived upon the farm until 1878. In the month of September of that year, he met with an irreparable loss in the death of his wife. Since that time he has made his home with his son, Daniel L. He still owns his farm, which contains 320 acres. Mr. and Mrs. Noble were the parents of six children, two now living --- William and Daniel L. His son Daniel L was born Oct. 20, 1848, and was married Dec. 29, 1870, to Annie, daughter of Alexander and Elizabeth (McDonald) Smith. Three children have blessed their union --- Daniel Alexander, Margaret E and Mary L. After his marriage, he lived on section 3, for three years, then located upon his present farm on section 24, and lived in the pioneer log cabin until 1883, except two years, 1879 and 1880, when he was elected sheriff and removed to Richland Center, when he built a large frame house. He is an enterprising man and is engaged, not only in farming, but in dealing in stock. He has taken a lively interest in public affairs and has served as town clerk, and in 1878 was elected sheriff of Richland county, discharging his duties in a manner satisfactory to his constituents. William J, the older brother, now lives on the old homestead. He was married to Delilah Copenhefer, during the winter of 1879. They have had three children, one now living --- Emma Alice.
William Richards, (deceased) one of the earliest settlers of English Ridge, was born in Cambridgeshire, England, Sept. 6, 1816. He was married Jan. 19, 1846, to Mary Minett, who was born in Cambridgeshire, July 11, 1823. In 1850 they came to America, landed at New York and came directly to Wisconsin and located in Walworth county, remaining there until 1855, when they came to Richland county and settled on section 27, of the town of Marshall. Here he cleared a farm and built a log cabin, which, a few years later, was replaced by a frame house, in which he lived until the time of his death. He was an enterprising and industrious man, respected by all who knew him. Mr. and Mrs. Richards are the parents of seven children --- William, John, Sarah, James, Ella, Harriet and Lucy. Ella died March 13, 1881, aged twenty-three years and five months. The family still live at the homestead.
Hon. J B McGrew, one of the prominent representative men of Richland county, was born near Smithfield, Jefferson Co., Ohio, Jan. 28, 1829. His education was such as could be obtained at that time in the district school, which he attended as opportunity offered until he was fifteen years old. Meanwhile his father had leased a flouring mill on Yellow creek, and Joseph at the age of fifteen years, was engaged therein, and, giving strict attention to business, soon learned the milling trade. Here he remained about four years; continued milling business until after twenty-one years old, when he rented a farm on Cross creek, in Jefferson county, and remained two years. During the time he formed the acquaintance of Maria E Brown, a very estimable lady, and a native of Wayne town, to whom he was united in marriage on Dec. 21, 1854. Miss Brown was a lady of refinement and education, and was a teacher in the public schools. During the spring of 1855 they removed to Wisconsin and pre-empted land on section 30, town of Richland, Richland county, where they commenced pioneer life by building a log house and making preparations to "open up" a farm. In a short time he removed to Sextonville, where he was taken sick with ague. This had a discouraging effect, and after about four weeks of "chilling and shaking," a sensation known only to those who have had actual, personal experience with this disease, he sold his claim and returned to Jefferson Co., Ohio. Here his experience in his father's mill proved an available resource, and he rented Wood's flouring mill, on McIntire creek. This business was continued here until the spring of 1857, when he removed to Mercer Co., Ill. Meanwhile he was not altogether satisfied, a taste of the western country having given him an appetite for a larger experience. His thoughts continually wandered to the State he had visited, and consequently, in about a year, he returned to Richland county and bought eighty acres of the same land he had previously pre-empted, erected a house, and went to work putting the land in preparation for a farm. In the spring of 1861 he again removed to Sextonville, and was engaged in George Krouskop's mill for four years, then returned to his farm, having purchased an additional eighty joining. In 1880, having a good opportunity, he sold out and again returned to Ohio, with the intention of purchasing a flour mill, but, for some reason, the owner concluding not to sell, he immediately became a permanent resident of Richland county, and purchased a farm on section 8, town of Richland, which he sold in 1882 and bought the McKy farm, consisting of 200 acres, and has since added forty acres, all of which is located in the town of Marshall, where he now resides. Mr. McGrew has been a man of intelligence and sterling qualities, which could not but be appreciated in any community where he resided. He was not an office seeker, but on account of intrinsic merit and personal popularity, he was, in 1873, elected to the Legislature, and in 1879 was a member of the Senate. He has filled those places, and minor offices from time to time, with honor to himself and credit to his constituency. He was chairman of the town board nine years, was sheriff in 1868, was chairman of the county board in 1872, was under-sheriff in 1870, and assessor in 1866. Thus it may be seen he was eminently popular and successful as a public man. The people were unanimous in their wish to be represented by him in the Assembly, and so expressed themselves at the polls. Being careful and painstaking in all matters of interest to the public, perfectly free from egotism, and determined in his opposition to any measure calculated to abridge the rights of the people, his participation in public matters, earned for himself an enviable reputation, and, indeed, his entire action proved eminently satisfactory. Mr. and Mrs. McGrew have reared six children, four now living --- Ella S, Mary B, Lizzie K and Jay B. Eva F, a twin sister of Ella, was born Sept. 5, 1857, and died Sept. 10, 1878. Maggie H was born July 16, 1859, and died April 24, 1879.
Joseph Moon was one of the first settlers on English Ridge, having come there in the fall of 1855. He had previously entered land on section 27. He has cleared a good farm and erected a neat frame house, in which he is now living. He is a native of England, born in Cambridgeshire, in May, 1812. He was reared to agricultural pursuits, and in 1835 was married to Sarah Richards, also a native of Cambridgeshire, born in June, 1815. In 1851 they left their native land for America, taking passage in a sailing vessel. They were six weeks in crossing the ocean, and landed in New York in December of that year. They spent the winter in Buffalo; and removed to Wisconsin in the spring. He rented a farm in Walworth county, where they remained until 1855, then came to Richland county. Nine children have been born to them, four of whom are now living --- Maria, (now the wife of William Minett), John R, William and Arthur. Mrs. Moon died June 18, 1880. Their son, William, was born in Cambridgeshire, England, Aug. 7, 1845, and came to Richland county with his parents and lived with them until the time of his marriage in 1874 to Sarah McKy, who was born in Tippecanoe Co., Ind. They have three children --- Nellie Z, Jay W and Louie C.
William Coulter, one of the early settlers of the town of Marshall, is a native of Ohio. He was born in Clinton county, Sept. 27, 1815. His father was a soldier in the War of 1812 and died while in the United States service, in 1815, four months previous to the birth of the subject of this sketch. When he was two years of age his mother was married to Amos Wilson, and continued to reside in Clinton county where he grew to manhood, obtaining his education in the district school. At twenty-two years of age he left home and went to Indiana and located in Delaware county. He was married there to Barbara Babb, who was born in Clinton county, March 4, 1817. He purchased land in Delaware county and improved a farm. In 1855 he came to Richland county and entered land on section 7, town of Marshall. He then returned to Indiana and remained until August, 1856, then, in company with his family, started with a pair of oxen and a span of horses for their new home, taking their household goods and cooking utensils with them. They camped out upon the way and arrived at their destination after three weeks of travel. They first moved into a log cabin in Sylvan, while he could erect one on his land. The following winter, while Mr. Coulter was absent from home, one of the children informed Mrs. Coulter that there was a deer near by. She armed herself with the rifle and went out and shot it. When her husband returned he found her and the children engaged in skinning the animal. Mr. Coulter has since cleared a large farm and the log cabin has been replaced by the neat frame dwelling, which they now occupy. Mr. and Mrs. Coulter have four children --- Calvin W, John B, Smith G and Eli S. John B is still living at home with his parents and he is the present town treasurer.
Joseph Benton, Sr., (deceased) one of the early settlers of Marshall, was a native of Scotland, born in Aberdeenshire, April 20, 1803. His wife, whose maiden name was Janet Davidson, was a native of Banffshire, born in 1806. In 1834 they emigrated to America and settled in Jefferson Co., Ohio, where they bought and improved a farm, living there until 1854. They then came to Richland county and purchased timber land on section 13, town 11, range 1 west, now known as Marshall. Here he improved a farm and lived until the time of his death, which occurred July 14, 1880. He left four children --- Joseph, George, Robert and Margaret, now the wife of Olney Hoskins. His widow still occupies the homestead.
Joseph Benton, Jr., was born in Elginshire, Scotland, Nov. 19, 1826, and came to America with his parents when in his eighth year. He grew to manhood in Jefferson Co., Ohio, obtaining his education in the public schools. In 1852 he came to Richland county and entered land on section 14, town 11, range 1 west, now known as Marshall. After entering this land he returned to Ohio, where he was married in 1854 to Jane Russell, a native of Jefferson county. In 1855 they started for their new home in the far west, traveling by rail as far as Warren, Ill., the nearest railroad station. The remainder of the journey was accomplished by team. He first built a log cabin, which by mistake was located on land that did not belong to him. Soon after he built a hewed log house upon his own land. In 1875 he erected the neat frame house in which he now lives. They have three children --- Robert K, Rebecca J (now the wife of Arthur Moon) and James. Mr. Benton is a man of sound judgment and has the respect and confidence of his fellowmen to a remarkable degree. He has been successful as a farmer, and now owns a good place in the fertile valley of Fancy creek.
Levi Peckham (deceased,) was born in Jefferson Co., Ohio, Sept. 12, 1829. Here his younger days were spent upon a farm. In 1849 he was united in marriage with Mary Clark, who was born in Jefferson county, Nov. 12, 1830. They continued living in Ohio until 1855, at which time they came to Richland county, locating in town 12, range 1 west, now the town of Bloom, and living there until 1861 when he purchased a tract of land on section 2, town of Marshall, and immediately commenced clearing his present farm. March 17, 1865, he was drafted into the service, and went to Madison where he was taken sick and died May 16 of the same year, leaving a wife and seven children --- Caroline D, Hugh C, William S, Orrin S, Matthew, John W and Levi R. Orrin died at the age of eleven. Since the death of her husband Mrs. Peckham has carried on the farm successfully, and with the aid of her children cleared a large tract.
George Davis, one of the early settlers of the town of Marshall, was born in Loudoun Co., Va., in August, 1823. When he was twelve years of age his parents moved to Ohio and settled in Knox county. Here he grew to manhood and was married in 1850 to Margaret Kerby, born in Knox Co., Oct. 25, 1827. In 1855 they started west to seek a home and came to Richland county, making the journey overland with four horses and a pair of oxen, bringing their household goods with them. They worked and camped on the way, and after four weeks travel reached their destination. He entered land on section 30 of the town of Marshall as before stated. Here he first erected a log cabin covering it with shakes, and split puncheon for the floor. He lived in this humble abode for several years, then erected a frame house in which he now lives. Mr. and Mrs. Davis are now the parents of two children --- Joseph E and Harrison O. Joseph E was born Jan. 7, 1852, went to Richland County and grew to manhood in the town of Marshall, receiving his education in the district school. He was married in 1877 to Mary L Queen. He built a hewed log house on his father's farm and lived there until 1883, when he bought a farm on the northeast quarter of section 29. He has three children --- Grace L, Myron C and Minnie M.
Henry Merrill, a pioneer settler of Fancy creek valley, was born in Stark Co., Ohio, March 5, 1826. When he was five years old, his parents moved to Carroll county. His father, there purchased timber land and cleared a farm, in which the subject of this sketch assisted him. Taking advantage of the opportunities then offered, he received a fair education. He was married Aug. 25, 1847, to Eliza McNelly. She was born in Lancaster Co., Penn., Feb. 23, 1824. He bought land in Carroll county and remained there until 1855, when he settled on his present farm in Richland county. In coming here he traveled by rail as far as Warren, Ill., which was then the nearest railroad station. There he hired a horse and sled and completed the journey. He first built a rude cabin of round logs, covered it with "shakes" and made puncheon for the floor. This humble abode was his home until 1866, when he erected the frame house he now occupies. Mrs. Merrill was one of the first members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Merrill, though not a member of the Church, lends willing aid, and was one of the committee in charge of building the new church. Henry McNelly, a nephew of Mrs. Merrill, was reared by her, she having had charge of him from the tender age of eleven months. He was married in 1875 to Salina, daughter of William and Mary (Thompson) Francis. They have two children --- Lester Everett and Francis Clark.
Henry Kepler, one of the pioneers of Marshall, was born in Greene Co., Penn., in February, 1811. When he was ten years old, his parents emigrated to Ohio, and settled in Columbiana county, where he grew to manhood. While a young man he was engaged in a mill, and learned the trade of carding and cloth making. In April, 1834, he was married to Jane Patten. She was born in Beaver Co., Penn., Jan. 27, 1814. They lived in Pennsylvania until 1838, then moved to Ohio and settled in Columbiana county. They remained there three and a half years, then removed to Meigs county, remaining there until 1855, when they started west to seek a home, taking with them a yoke of oxen, a span of horses and two wagons; also household goods and cooking utensils. They camped by the way. After traveling forty days, they arrived at Mill creek, and settled on land that he had entered a few months previously. He at first built a round log house, and later one of hewed logs, which in a few years gave way to the frame house which he now occupies. Mr. and Mrs. Kepler have had three sons born to them --- William F, Joseph and Sylvester. The oldest son, William F, came to Richland county with his parents and has always lived at the homestead, and is one of the most extensive farmers in the town. He built on this farm the second frame barn erected in the town, which is still standing, and in good repair. He has since erected another frame barn, also a large frame house which is one of the finest residences in the county. He was born in Beaver Co., Penn., Dec. 18, 1834, and was three and a half years old when his parents moved to Ohio, where he received a liberal education in the district schools. When he was fourteen years of age he was engaged in a shop and learned to make spinning wheels. He continued to work there three or four years, then engaged in carpentering. In 1854, he went to Mississippi, where he spent the winter, working at building a cotton-gin and feed mill, returning in the spring, and in company with his father, came to Richland county and selected the site of their present farm. For a few years after coming to Marshall, he worked at his trade as carpenter. In the year 1860 he erected a barn and tannery for Judge Fries at Richland Center. Many of the spinning wheels in the county were made by him. In 1880 he purchased the saw-mill on Mill creek, of Mr. Saltsman, put in new machinery, and now operates the same as a business. He has been twice married. His first wife was Rachel Kerby, who bore him two children --- Elmer and Almond. His second wife was Mariam Bailey, daughter of Isaac and Martha Doudna, who died in 1881, leaving one child --- Isolla.
Thomas Parsons, the subject of this sketch, was born in London, England, May 12, 1812. His father died when he was but eight years old, and he was sent into the country to live, where he grew to man's estate. He came to America in 1841 and located in Canada, where he made the acquaintance of Mary Harris, who was the daughter of John and Mary Harris, and to whom he was married in the year 1843. In 1844 they moved to the State of New York and purchased a home in Onondaga town, Onondaga county. There he was employed on public works, remaining there until 1856, and then coming to Richland county. Here he purchased a tract of timber land on section 28, built a house and continued to reside there until the time of his death, which occurred Jan. 25, 1876. He was a very industrious man, and had the satisfaction of leaving his family provided with a good home. Mr. and Mrs. Parsons have had nine children born to them, five of whom are now living --- William, David, George, Jane and John. Mrs. Parsons was again married in 1876 to James Ward, who is also a native of England, born in Cambridgeshire in 1820. He had come to America in 1851 and located in Wisconsin, living in Walworth and Rock counties until the fall of 1854, when he came to Richland county and settled on section 35, town 11, range 1 west, in the present town of Marshall, where he still resides. He has been three times married. The first time, in 1841, to Maria Graham who died a few years after his settlement in Richland county. Three of her children are living --- Edward, Alfred and Angeline. His second wife was Annie Dunford. She died in 1871, leaving five children --- Alice, Rose, Carrie, Annie M and Ellie.
William Saltsman was born in Knox town, Jefferson Co., Ohio, Dec. 5, 1810. He was among the pioneers of the town of Marshall, coming there in 1856. His early life, until he was seventeen years of age, was spent upon a farm, and he improved such opportunities as offered to gain an education. At that age he was apprenticed to a shoemaker to learn the trade, served three years, then worked as journeyman two years. He then engaged with an uncle, farming during the summer season, and in a saw-mill winters, which he continued eight years. In the month of March, 1835, he was married to Kesiah Maple, who was born in Jefferson Co., Ohio. He went to Iowa in 1842, and remained for a short time; returned to Jefferson county and purchased a farm in Salina town, which he sold in 1852 and went to Hammondsville, where he was employed in a warehouse until 1856, at which date he came to Richland county, as before stated, and settled upon land on section 19, in the town of Marshall. He made the journey as far as Davenport by rail, thence by boat to Prairie du Chien, and from there in a wagon to Muscoda; at that place they hired a conveyance to take them to their new home. They stayed at the house of Samuel Groves, in the town of Sylvan, until a round log cabin could be built. The same year he commenced building a saw-mill on Mill creek, which he completed the following year. He continued to operate this mill in connection with farming until 1880, when he sold out there and bought his present home, an improved farm, and good frame house and barn, located on section 10.
Lyman Hart, a pioneer of the town of Marshall, came here in 1856 and purchased 160 acres of heavily timbered land on section 1. He first built a log cabin in the valley, and commenced with his ax to "hew out" a farm. In 1862 he erected a comfortable frame house, at that time considered quite elegant, frame houses being then the exception. It is pleasantly located on a ridge near the center of his farm. He has engaged in the raising of stock as well as grain, and been quite successful as a fruit grower. Mr. Hart is a native of Columbiana Co., Ohio, born July 24, 1824. He was brought up on a farm, and obtained his education in the common schools. In November, 1851, he was married to Sarah Clark, a native of Jefferson county. They resided in Columbiana county three years, when they removed to Jefferson county and lived there until 1856. They then came to Richland county, traveling by rail as far as Mazomanie, then the nearest railway station, where he hired a conveyance to take them to Richland Center. The remainder of the journey was performed with an ox team. They remained with the family of Alanson Clark until the cabin was completed. Mr. Hart is, and always has been, a republican.
Isaac Doudna, the present assessor of the town of Marshall, first settled there in 1861, having purchased land on section 28. In 1864 he rented his farm and went to Missouri, with the intention of locating there. His family were not satisfied, and consequently they returned in the fall of the same year. In the spring of 1865 he purchased land on section 21, which place has since been his home. He is a native of Ohio, born in Belmont county, Aug. 31, 1810, where he was reared to agricultural pursuits, receiving his education in the subscription schools. He made his home with his parents until twenty-two years old, when he was married to Martha Peebless. She was born in Prince George Co., Va., Nov. 19, 1814. He then purchased a farm in the town of Warren, where he made his home until 1861, when he came to Richland county and settled in the town of Marshall. They have eight children living --- Deborah, John, Thomas, Euphimia, Isaac, William, Frank and Edgar. The eldest son, named Benjamin, was born in Belmont Co., Ohio, Nov. 20, 1840. He enlisted in the army in June, 1862, in the 20th Wisconsin, company K. He was transferred to company G, and was killed at the battle of Prairie Grove, Ark., Dec. 7, 1862. Their son, John, who now has a farm on section 19, also did valiant service in the Union army. Their son Frank lives on the old homestead and carries on the farm. He was born in Belmont Co., Ohio, in July, 1856; was married Oct. 29, 1882, to Georgia, daughter of John and Elanora (Marshall) Hart. They have one child --- Leon Hart. The youngest son, Edgar, was born in Missouri. Mr. Doudna had filled the office of assessor in Ohio, so the duties were familiar to him when called upon here. This office he has filled with credit to himself and satisfaction to the people for many terms. He also has held the office of justice of the peace. Politically he is a democrat. Religiously he may be called a Liberal, and has no connection with any Church.
John Truesdale was one of the early explorers of Richland county. He first visited here in 1852 and entered land on section 25, town 11, range 1 west, now known as Marshall. He tarried but a short time and returned to Mahoning Co., Ohio. Two years later he moved to Pennsylvania and lived until 1858, when he returned to Ohio, and remained until 1863. He then came to Marshall and settled on his land. He was born in Beaver Co., Penn., Dec. 2, 1814. While he was quite young his parents removed to Mahoning Co., Ohio, where he was reared to agricultural pursuits. He at first attended a subscription and afterward the public school, and acquired a fair education. He was married in 1842 to Elvina Steele, also a native of Beaver Co., Penn. She died in 1858, leaving five children --- Joseph C, James R, and twins John O and Olive, and Charles C. Olive is now the wife of Millard F Hart. His present wife, to whom he was married in 1863, was Adeline Young, who was born in Ohio. They have two children --- Emma Rena and William C.
W O Allison settled in Richland county in 1865. He first purchased land on section 10, where he lived until 1872. He then bought land on section 16. In 1880 he purchased his present farm, which contains 240 acres, located on section 4. It is watered by Fancy creek. He was born in Belmont Co., Ohio. His father was a carpenter and lived in different places, working at his trade, until 1850, when he went to California and spent two years, then returned and purchased a farm in Belmont county. In 1860 he disposed of this property and removed to the village of Fairview, where he resumed work at his trade. The subject of this sketch made his home with his parents until 1861, when, at the first call for troops, he became inspired with patriotism, and, his parents being unwilling, he ran away from home and enlisted in company K, 17th Ohio Volunteers. After serving four months and five days he was discharged with the regiment and returned home. The 4th of October, of the same year, he again enlisted in the 74th Ohio, company K, and immediately went to the front with the regiment and served until the close of the war. Among the many engagements in which he participated are the following: Fort Henry, Nealy's Bend, Stone River, Tullahoma, Hoover's Gap and Missionary Ridge, all in Tennessee. He was with Sherman on his ever memorable march through Georgia to the sea, thence through the Carolinas to Washington, participating in the many hard-fought battles of that exciting campaign. He had veteranized Feb. 4, 1864, and was soon after appointed corporal, serving until the close of the war. He was not sick a day of the time and was discharged July 10, 1865. On his way home an accident occurred on the railroad, he was caught between two cars and held there for one and a half hours. His leg was broken and he was otherwise badly bruised, and in consequence was laid up for several months. Mr. Allison has been twice married. His first wife was Sarah Penter, who was born in Jefferson Co., Ohio, and died in 1872, leaving two children --- Ida and James. His second wife was Agnes Pippin, who was born in Tippecanoe Co., Ind. His parents were early settlers of the town of Bloom.
Hon. Philip Smith settled on his present farm in 1867. It is located on sections 13 and 24, in the Fancy creek valley. He was the son of Alexander and Elizabeth (McDonald) Smith, was born in Columbiana Co., Ohio, Sept. 23, 1836, where he was brought up to agricultural pursuits, obtaining what education he could as opportunity offered in the public schools. In 1855 he visited Richland county, remained a short time, and returned to his former home where he remained a number of years and then started for the mountains. He visited Colorado, Utah, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana. After this extended trip, and considerable experience with much travel, in 1865 he returned to Ohio. The following year Janet N Smith became his wife, she was also a native of Columbiana county. After this important event of his life he moved to Pennsylvania and engaged in mercantile business in the oil regions. Here he remained but a few months when he came to Marshall as before stated. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have had seven children --- Emma A, Eliza M, Elizabeth J, Maggie B, Edson A, Anna B and Burkie Mabel. The first child, Emma A, was born Feb. 8, 1867, and died July 5, 1882. Mr. Smith is a public spirited man and has filled many positions of trust and honor in the county, and is at this time chairman of the town board. He has twice represented his district in the Legislature, being elected to that position in November, 1873, and in 1877. His second election was a public endorsement of his course and position, and was a well deserved compliment to a worthy man.
Wm. A Balsley was born March 4, 1847, in Washington Co., Penn. When six months old his parents, John S and Julian Balsley, removed to Fox township, Carroll Co., Ohio, in the year 1865. Mr. Balsley joined the Presbyterian Church of Mechanicstown and Jan. 3, 1872, was married to Annie K Twaddle, by the Rev. H Y Seepeier, at the residence of Wm. Kelly, Jr., a resident of Jefferson Co., Ohio. His wife was a member of United Presbyterian Church, of Yellow Creek, Ohio, with which she united when fifteen years old. On March 24, 1872, they boarded the cars at Salineville, Ohio, and on March 28, 1872, arrived at Lone Rock, Wis. On the 26th they took the stage to Richland Center, and in April, 1872, both united by letter with the Presbyterian Church of Fancy Creek. They removed to an old house on H Marshall's land and lived there till June 17, 1872, and then moved into a cabin on land which Mr. Balsley had purchased. It was located on section 21. They lived there till May 18, 1883, then removed to their present residence. They are the parents of five sons, four living --- John K, W L, Addie J and C B. The second son, J M, died at the age of two months, and is buried in the Fancy Creek grave yard.
Edmund B Looker came to Richland county in 1872, and settled in the town of Marshall. He purchased the northeast quarter of section 6, about twenty-five acres of which was cleared. He has now seventy acres cleared. The farm has been rented the greater part of the time, while he has lived at ease. He is a native of New York city, born Feb. 13, 1811. When but an infant, he was taken in charge by his grandparents, who lived in the town of Orange, Essex Co., NJ, gaining his education in a subscription school. When he was eleven years of age his grandfather died, and he found a home among strangers. At the age of twelve he was apprenticed to a shoemaker to learn the trade. After serving six years, he worked as a journeyman until the age of twenty-one, when he went to Cumberland Co., Penn., and opened a shoemaker's shop and continued the business for twenty years. He then moved to Ohio and settled in Fulton county, upon land having water power upon it, in the town of Gorham. Here he built a saw-mill which he operated. He also cleared a farm. At the end of eight years he sold out, removed to Indiana, and purchased a farm in Union township, Adams county, also a sorghum mill, and engaged in making syrup, living there until 1872, at which date he came to Richland county. In 1835 Mr. Looker went to New York city on a combined business and social trip, making the journey the greater portion of the way on foot. He returned by steamboat and rail, traveling on the only railroads in the States of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. In the fall of 1853, he made a trip to northwestern Ohio by his own conveyance, being twenty days on the journey.
There were 2688 visitors at our previous host from 13 Mar 2006 to 2 Aug 2011 and 2934 visitors to a previous site from 29 Oct 2000 to 13 Mar 2006.